Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

For a guy that throws anti-toy company tantrums, Tomino sure did put a poo poo load of unique designs into this loving thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

DamnGlitch posted:

For a guy that throws anti-toy company tantrums, Tomino sure did put a poo poo load of unique designs into this loving thing.

What tantrums has he thrown? And the buzz was that he just really liked the mech designs.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Lessail posted:

kids must be annoying in gundam so that you understand the older generation's desire to gently caress up their future

Hey, Vifam has some of the coolest children ever, and it's basically a Gundam show with the letters filed off.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 5, 2015

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

And does Vifam have a long-lasting dynasty like Gundam does?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

in an alternate universe where G-Reco is 52 episodes, Mask gets an awesome mid season upgrade:

FOLD KNIFE

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm down for G-Reco MSVs/side-story mangas/OVAs.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm down for G-Reco MSVs/side-story mangas/OVAs.

Chuchumy : The Fish Who Could Not Ride the Rainbow

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

What tantrums has he thrown? And the buzz was that he just really liked the mech designs.

Victory Gundam was largely a temper tantrum, and that's the reason why he has nothing good to say about it, even now that Victory is getting a BD release.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Ryas posted:

Victory Gundam was largely a temper tantrum, and that's the reason why he has nothing good to say about it, even now that Victory is getting a BD release.

Are there any details, or is this part of the internet anime oral tradition?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Are there any details, or is this part of the internet anime oral tradition?

Go check the website for the Blu-Ray. He literally posts what amounts to "This is really bad and you shouldn't buy it. If you watch it, at least try to see why it sucks."

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well to be fair a lot of the stuff in Victory is pretty weirdumb. But that's something plenty of Gundam shows are full of anyway so I don't think Victory is especially bad in that regard.

Those fight scenes, though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

Well to be fair a lot of the stuff in Victory is pretty weirdumb. But that's something plenty of Gundam shows are full of anyway so I don't think Victory is especially bad in that regard.

Those fight scenes, though.

Even the fight scenes got a little dull after a while. Usso shot parts of his own Gundam at the enemy so many times that I began to wonder how on Earth they could even afford him to do so.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

Go check the website for the Blu-Ray. He literally posts what amounts to "This is really bad and you shouldn't buy it. If you watch it, at least try to see why it sucks."

How is that an anti-toy company temper tantrum?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

boom boom boom posted:

How is that an anti-toy company temper tantrum?

It's not really, it's just a general case temper tantrum.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's also something that he originally wrote in the case for the DVDs (or VHS or whatever it was originally released on) from what I gather. So he wrote "don't buy this, it sucks" in a place it'd only generally be viewable at the time after you already bought it. I've seen the idea floated that it was just him joking around, which seems quite likely if it's true it was originally only written in the booklet for Victory's home release.

He also reportedly makes up answers to interviewer questions as the mood strikes him and basically fudges them so that his own interpretation of depicted events is never entirely clear, presumably because he wants viewers to make their own one rather than rely on his as gospel. He definitely changes his mind on the nature of things as fundamental to Gundam as what newtypes are or what their purpose in the show is on a regular basis, probably from one show to the next and interviews reflect that. As such, even if it's meant to be taken at literal face value it's quite possible he's just disgusted with it because it represents a viewpoint on certain things he no longer really advocates and is kind of ashamed of. The darker tone and higher body count are probably one of those things if true. The weird message regarding women and childbirth might also be part of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

It's also something that he originally wrote in the case for the DVDs (or VHS or whatever it was originally released on) from what I gather. So he wrote "don't buy this, it sucks" in a place it'd only generally be viewable at the time after you already bought it. I've seen the idea floated that it was just him joking around, which seems quite likely if it's true it was originally only written in the booklet for Victory's home release.

Nah, it was publically discussed before the original release even came out. It's just Tomino being Tomino. The "it's all a joke, he's just kidding" stuff mostly comes from people who like V Gundam and are frustrated it's the black sheep of the UC (more or less.)

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The GIG posted:

It's not really, it's just a general case temper tantrum.

I don't think you know what a temper tantrum is. He's just unsatisfied with something he made, that's not a tantrum.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Tomino reminds me a lot of legendary french comic author Franquin, who was also curmundgeonly and hated every thing he ever drew.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well, it's worth pointing out:

Tomino redid Original Gundam as movies with significant plot changes and then wrote a novel version with even more significant plot changes
He made pretty major changes to Zeta Gundam when he did a movie version
He seems to basically ignore ZZ Gundam exists
He made those comments about V Gundam
He says he regrets a lot of Turn-A, including the main mecha design.
He's gone on record being self-effacing about G-Reco.

In short, dude probably would have things to say about any Gundam series he did,

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Yah, like every artist ever.

Lol.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

boom boom boom posted:

I don't think you know what a temper tantrum is. He's just unsatisfied with something he made, that's not a tantrum.

Hyperbole in an internet discussion, that never happens.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

dogsicle posted:

in an alternate universe where G-Reco is 52 episodes, Mask gets an awesome mid season upgrade:

FOLD KNIFE

This is the perfect mix of terrible and incredible, love it.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

Yah, like every artist ever.

Lol.

The number of old masters who attempted to destroy their works is kinda shocking.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tsob posted:

He also reportedly makes up answers to interviewer questions as the mood strikes him and basically fudges them so that his own interpretation of depicted events is never entirely clear, presumably because he wants viewers to make their own one rather than rely on his as gospel. He definitely changes his mind on the nature of things as fundamental to Gundam as what newtypes are or what their purpose in the show is on a regular basis, probably from one show to the next and interviews reflect that. As such, even if it's meant to be taken at literal face value it's quite possible he's just disgusted with it because it represents a viewpoint on certain things he no longer really advocates and is kind of ashamed of. The darker tone and higher body count are probably one of those things if true. The weird message regarding women and childbirth might also be part of it.

As a Star Wars fan, I have lots of practice with this.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

boom boom boom posted:

I was under the impression that V Gundam itself was the temper tantrum, not Tomino's later "Don't buy this, it's terrible," comments on it.

Mostly because it was my understanding that Tomino was pretty burned out on Gundam at that point, was in the middle of a nasty bout of depression, and was pretty sick of Sunrise and Bandai pestering him to make more Gundam for them to sell model kits of. So a lot of the more :stare: stuff that happened over the course of the series (like the gratuitously high body count) were basically his attempts to kill the franchise off.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

dogsicle posted:

for some reason i couldn't find any posts of the G-Reco scratchbuilds in Hobby Japan. Gundamguy posted the Fold Knife but not the other two: Gaitrash and Z'gocky
my copy came today so i made some mediocre scans: http://imgur.com/a/aJh9v

crosspost from the Gunpla thread in case anybody not usually into kits is interested

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

W.T. Fits posted:

I was under the impression that V Gundam itself was the temper tantrum, not Tomino's later "Don't buy this, it's terrible," comments on it.

Mostly because it was my understanding that Tomino was pretty burned out on Gundam at that point, was in the middle of a nasty bout of depression, and was pretty sick of Sunrise and Bandai pestering him to make more Gundam for them to sell model kits of. So a lot of the more :stare: stuff that happened over the course of the series (like the gratuitously high body count) were basically his attempts to kill the franchise off.

He very nearly succeeded.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

edit: wrong thread

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Necroing this thread because a new Gundam Evolve G-Reco short's been aired at Gundam Front Tokyo, and it's pretty cool, even if super non-canon for very obvious reasons. Aida is a decent pilot in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzosMGiSnS8

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I spent the first three minutes wondering if that silver Phenex I saw a while back was actually going to show up and ahahahahhaha.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Frankly, that looks like a SRW plot: Mask digging up the Unicorn (or is it the Banshee?) from within the Moon to fight Bellri.

At least he didn't get the Turn-A or Turn-X!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Frankly, that looks like a SRW plot: Mask digging up the Unicorn (or is it the Banshee?) from within the Moon to fight Bellri.

At least he didn't get the Turn-A or Turn-X!

It's the Phenex, the third Unicorn model that got ditched after it started murdering people it wasn't supposed to murder.

• Locked thread