Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Srice posted:

I think I'd enjoy it if they did it in a way that doesn't wink at the audience about it. Maybe just implying that the crazy tech for the Turn A is being worked on and leaving it up in the air as to what that could mean.

Vague mention on trying to reverse-engineer the technology of a machine found on the Solar System's edge? I could buy that. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it would have been pretty funny if she had bailed in a particularly egregious way, to be honest

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Nobody is saying it doesn't. It is the fact that the argument is focused around "crying is bad" which is what makes it kinda worthless.

If we admit the show has issues representing women equally then when viewed through a critical lens those scenes have to be a part of that too, for reasons I should think are obvious. Just because BL can be acerbic and prone to hyperbole doesn't mean we have to treat certain scenes differently.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

John Carstairs posted:

I must admit that this is the sort of thing I expected when I heard they were intentionally trying to make the show more feminist:

In her defense, Manny seems pretty reasonable so far for a Gundam character.

I was so happy when she made that jump, then sad that my expectations were so low that I was surprised when she was allowed to be successful.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

muike posted:

it would have been pretty funny if she had bailed in a particularly egregious way, to be honest

People trying to jump over water but failing is always funny, man or woman.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Koopa Kid posted:

If we admit the show has issues representing women equally then when viewed through a critical lens those scenes have to be a part of that too, for reasons I should think are obvious. Just because BL can be acerbic and prone to hyperbole doesn't mean we have to treat certain scenes differently.

The problem is that that seems to be the crux of the argument, and it's misrepresented constantly.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Srice posted:

People trying to jump over water but failing is always funny, man or woman.

This, too, is a truth of Feminism 101

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Out of the linedance troupe there are still 9 women we haven't seen at all. Only one has been actually crying for emotional reasons. Vegetable was spinning like mad and vomiting while suffocating.

Please also notice that one of them has bunny ears. She must be G-Self's designer.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Lurking Haro posted:

Only one has been actually crying for emotional reasons. Vegetable was spinning like mad and vomiting while suffocating.

She actually cries when she sees G-Self being captured and such as well. ...but she may be experiencing the robot's own emotions for all we know about the Mysterious Connection™ she seems to have with it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Astro Nut posted:

I actually kinda wish the flying suit was standard pilot wear in this setting. I mean, given how rarely mobile suits have any form of escape pod, some way to bail whilst fighting in mid-air would be kinda useful.

That would be pretty great, provided helmets and oxygen tanks were also standard issue.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Potsticker posted:

That would be pretty great, provided helmets and oxygen tanks were also standard issue.

Good point. Don't need the Char clone sputtering out 'G' as he tries to recover from the oxygen deprivation.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Whoever made the comparison to King Gainer, they were spot on. A lot of the same feeling, with the same style of exposition, except a bit better done, honestly. Just enough to give you an idea of what's going on, but little enough that we're gonna find out a lot of new stuff as we go along. It helps that the protagonist is a bit clueless, it seems.
It's basically everything I wanted a Gundam series to be. Definitely a lot more engaging than most early UC poo poo so far.

Also, the girl cried: when she was captured, as in when she failed her mission and potentially faced execution for space piracy (something mentioned in the second episode,)something that only happened because she was outnumbered and taken off-guard by emergency functions of non-combat robots, which the show made a big deal about, and when she saw a man she admired who was very likely a mentor if not father figure to her, get killed, by her own machine. No poo poo she's gonna cry.

We're two episodes in, reserve judgement about the show's portrayal of women at least until we're half a dozen episodes in.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Astro Nut posted:

Good point. Don't need the Char clone sputtering out 'G' as he tries to recover from the oxygen deprivation.

Honestly 1000 years in the future they could do with a little Space OSHA.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

That's not what the "this show is sexist so far" argument is focused around, it's one of multiple complaints and people just keep getting hung up on that one.

Man, I was making the arguments about the crappiness of the plot being "guy steals a girl's robot" since it was announced. The only reason I'm arguing at all is because the exaggeration became "Aida is a completely inept pilot who broke down at the wheel and got captured and constantly cries" which isn't what happened in the show at all

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

Or maybe the feminist angle is just something that becomes more prominent as the story develops.
I think it's dumb to write something off like that when We're not even 5% of the way into it, yet.

Actually, the show is supposedly 25 episodes, which means we are well past 5% in.

Not that I disagree with you, I just felt like being pedantic.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Not having read anything beyond tomino interviews about the themes, barring hail mary twists, I really don't think the world in this show is all that obtuse:

The capital directly controls the space elevator, the capital is not the only nation on the planet and views rival nations with outright fear and hostility. Other nations seem to have a legitimate greivance against the capital, and there's some resource shortage at play, probably energy, maybe more. It seems to be aristocratic in nature, with an entrenched religious class that seems to share power with the other aspects of government. Probably tyrannical as hell. There seems to be some form of outright racism or classism or something with whatever Kuntala is, we'll find out at some point.

Bell is totally gonna become a space pirate, and the space pirates themselves are like a foreign funded and supplied insurgency group acting against the interests and well being of the capital.

That's about it, it's a way more gundam setup than honestly I was expecting.

See, all these elements, and the overall structure they form, are nice things to have but it's like building the scaffold and forgetting to build the thing the scaffold is there to build; there's no substance for people to care about, only things that exist and imply the existence of other things for no end purpose in particular, and there really isn't anything so inherently interesting about this world to begin with.

People are saying how they like this lack of blatant exposition, but this has hit the other end of lacking exposition to the point of being a skeletal husk. C'mon Tomino, give us something to chew on.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Jii no Reconguista Jii Jii Jii

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 3, 2014

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

See, all these elements, and the overall structure they form, are nice things to have but it's like building the scaffold and forgetting to build the thing the scaffold is there to build; there's no substance for people to care about, only things that exist and imply the existence of other things for no end purpose in particular, and there really isn't anything so inherently interesting about this world to begin with.

People are saying how they like this lack of blatant exposition, but this has hit the other end of lacking exposition to the point of being a skeletal husk. C'mon Tomino, give us something to chew on.

It's given us a lot more to work with than Turn A did it in first few episodes, at the very least.
Hell, I'm really excited about this! We've already seen at least two huge hints at some huge conspiracy. This is gonna be fun!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

everythingWasBees posted:

It's given us a lot more to work with than Turn A did it in first few episodes, at the very least.
Hell, I'm really excited about this! We've already seen at least two huge hints at some huge conspiracy. This is gonna be fun!

Turn-A made the concept and motivations very clear in the first two episodes. I can't agree it gave you less to chew on.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Turn-A made the concept and motivations very clear in the first two episodes. I can't agree it gave you less to chew on.

Turn-A was incredibly sparse on exposition the first few episodes as well. The character motivations were clearer, yeah, but that was it. I think in terms of plot exposition, though, this show has been a lot clearer.

There's also a good chance I'm misremembering it, but I do remember feeling like I didn't know all that much about the setting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Turn-A was incredibly sparse on exposition the first few episodes as well. The character motivations were clearer, yeah, but that was it. I think in terms of plot exposition, though, this show has been a lot clearer.

I don't really agree. Within the first episode of Turn-A you knew Loran was a moonrace who secretly came down to Earth and wanted all his people to come with him. The second episode sets the stakes and basic conflict very clearly. G-Reco sort of waves at Aida's motivation (before intentionally hiding the general response to it) and otherwise has lots of minor worldbuilding but not a lot of focus.

It's probable this stuff will become clear but it is weird how it is presented. Not just because it is obscured but because it is unnecessarily obscured (or so it feels, there may be a reason later on.)

I don't tend to give Tomino automatic benefit of the doubt. He is a good director but not a flawless one and he may have made Gundam/Zambot/ect but he also made Brain Powered.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 3, 2014

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I don't really agree. Within the first episode of Turn-A you knew Loran was a moonrace who secretly came down to Earth and wanted all his people to come with him. The second episode sets the stakes and basic conflict very clearly. G-Reco sort of waves at Aida's motivation (before intentionally hiding the general response to it) and otherwise has lots of minor worldbuilding but not a lot of focus.

It's probable this stuff will become clear but it is weird how it is presented. Not just because it is obscured but because it is unnecessarily obscured (or so it feels, there may be a reason later on.)

I don't tend to give Tomino automatic benefit of the doubt. He is a good director but not a flawless one and he may have made Gundam/Zambot/ect but he also made Brain Powered.

Ah, fair enough.
I guess I'm not getting the obscured bit because unlike Turn A, we're getting a sense of the direction of the plot as well, I feel like. Though I do wish we had a better idea about some of the characters. Knowing nothing about the main protagonist is something that kinda bugs me, but hopefully it'll go the way of King Gainer and tell us another episode or two in his main motivations, besides living up to his mother's expectations.

Also I was thinking of watching Brain Powerd soon. What's wrong with it?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

I don't want to get dragged into the semantics but given that almost all the women we're introduced to with any agency so far either fail at their job and are rescued/protected by a man or are literal cheerleaders I don't think it's unreasonable to say this show has issues with women so far.
This I can agree with. It's frustrating that all the energy in the discussion has been going towards "crying is bad" because that is one of the only things that isn't an issue here.

All the pilots being boys, and all the girls being loving cheerleaders was... pretty lovely. Even if those cheerleader girls end up being not-poo poo characters, it was a rough start. And Monday's just... the most terrible thing. I wish people spent pages ranting about what a terrible character she is, and all the terrible things she represents, rather than ragging on the fact that the only female character to actually do stuff expresses her emotions. (Just throwing this out there: maybe if you can't imagine a guy being openly emotional in emotional situations... the problem is your expectations for guys. Whatsername was exceptionally professional when it counted.)

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Eiba posted:

All the pilots being boys, and all the girls being loving cheerleaders was... pretty lovely. Even if those cheerleader girls end up being not-poo poo characters, it was a rough start.

Going in having heard the "We're making it more feminist!" stuff, I did have to stifle a laugh when I saw that. Maybe it's intentional, and pirate land'll be a bit more egalitarian or something. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eiba posted:

This I can agree with. It's frustrating that all the energy in the discussion has been going towards "crying is bad" because that is one of the only things that isn't an issue here.

All the pilots being boys, and all the girls being loving cheerleaders was... pretty lovely. Even if those cheerleader girls end up being not-poo poo characters, it was a rough start. And Monday's just... the most terrible thing. I wish people spent pages ranting about what a terrible character she is, and all the terrible things she represents, rather than ragging on the fact that the only female character to actually do stuff expresses her emotions. (Just throwing this out there: maybe if you can't imagine a guy being openly emotional in emotional situations... the problem is your expectations for guys. Whatsername was exceptionally professional when it counted.)

Monday is just like... even if she's supposed to be a weird Tomino parody of a moeblob, she's still basically one. Maybe he'll do something more with her but it's an awful awful start.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ImpAtom posted:

Monday is just like... even if she's supposed to be a weird Tomino parody of a moeblob, she's still basically one. Maybe he'll do something more with her but it's an awful awful start.
I kinda of feel like maybe she is since she's literally brain damaged to be that way but I don't want to think about it too hard because I know there is a deep dark hole that I will fall down

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I leave for a day and the conversation took a turn for the weird. Or is this what passes for normal when it comes to discussing Gundam shows? Regardless. You know what confuses me from all this?

• Why is this only 25 episodes? Are they sure Tomino can keep it succinct and punchy?
  • Wasn't this supposed to be a completely different thing from Gundam altogether, according to the Old Man himself no less?
  • Seriously, why is this still not available in 'murica / México via legal means?
  • Am I still allowed to be mad at Gundam Seed for being a festering pile of unequivocal garbage and wasted ideas?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Wark Say posted:

I leave for a day and the conversation took a turn for the weird. Or is this what passes for normal when it comes to discussing Gundam shows? Regardless. You know what confuses me from all this?

• Why is this only 25 episodes? Are they sure Tomino can keep it succinct and punchy?
  • Wasn't this supposed to be a completely different thing from Gundam altogether, according to the Old Man himself no less?
  • Seriously, why is this still not available in 'murica / México via legal means?
  • Am I still allowed to be mad at Gundam Seed for being a festering pile of unequivocal garbage and wasted ideas?

Because that's how much they want to fund it for, and Tomino is hard enough to work with already,
Yes, but Tomino likely had to cede ground on that because of good old "Executive Meddling"
penis
yes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muike posted:

I kinda of feel like maybe she is since she's literally brain damaged to be that way but I don't want to think about it too hard because I know there is a deep dark hole that I will fall down

I'd give it the benefit of the doubt but Puru exists.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ImpAtom posted:

I'd give it the benefit of the doubt but Puru exists.

This is also a truth.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Monday is kinda completely awful, yeah.
I'm really hoping they do something cool with her soon.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Monday is kinda completely awful, yeah.
I'm really hoping they do something cool with her soon.

It's interesting they all treat her as if her condition isn't permanent. Maybe she'll kick some rear end once that happens.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Lurking Haro posted:

It's interesting they all treat her as if her condition isn't permanent. Maybe she'll kick some rear end once that happens.

I think they're treating it more as shock from the lack of oxygen and the whole thing, than as straight up permanent brain damage.

EDIT: Oh. Apparently amnesia due to lack of oxygen is a thing, and usually temporary.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 3, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think they're treating it more as shock from the lack of oxygen and the whole thing, than as straight up permanent brain damage.

EDIT: Oh. Apparently amnesia due to lack of oxygen is a thing, and usually temporary.

Kinda reminds me of a more extreme case of what Amuro's dad had. Better hope she stays away from stairs!

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Srice posted:

Better hope she stays away from stairs!

We've already seen what they can do once in this very series.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Monday is just bad because she's from entirely different universe

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

OneDeadman posted:

Monday is just bad because she's from entirely different universe

It's been a while since I've played that game, but I seem to recall Meredy doing more than Monday has done, even when she couldn't speak the same language as the rest of the party.

She also had a kickass squirrel. Does Monday have a squirrel? NOPE.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Did Tomino use the English word 'feminist'? Because the Japanese use that word to mean chivalrous.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Snow Halation posted:

Did Tomino use the English word 'feminist'? Because the Japanese use that word to mean chivalrous.

If I remember correctly the interview was worded about how great/important/strong women are and can be.

Might be wrong though.

Its the simplest character arc to have an emotionally fragile character become stronger and more self assured, also.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I heard about it in this very forum, but can't find the interview or whatever in question in Japanese.

Sharkopath posted:

If I remember correctly the interview was worded about how great/important/strong women are and can be.

From you, in fact! Did you set me up for disappointment, Sharkopath? :argh:

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 3, 2014

• Locked thread