Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
I really liked the influence Mick and Klim had on each other. Mick was the more cautious of the pair at the start but then got infected by Klim's :smuggo: and became just as reckless and arrogant. Meanwhile Mick's coddling and constant "yes, man" act only caused Klim's ego to swell more and more, and, uh, he was more cautious that one time, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

P sure they were doing more than "coddling."

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Pootybutt posted:

P sure they were doing more than "coddling."

Yea, they may have even engaged in canoodling - the filthy buggers.

Fake edit: I went and looked it up out of curiosity, and canoodling can actually refer to sex. The more you know I guess.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So, favourite and least favourite suit designs from the show? For me, there's a lot of excellent stuff - the Elf Bullock is especially badass, but that's just me drawing a random example out of a hat. It could be any one of a dozen different machines. Least favourite is probably the Bifron. It just doesn't have enough of a sense of continuity with the other Capital Army designs - it's too fat and blocky, and isn't all about murdering poo poo with its legs.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
That was a Towasangan suit lent to the Capital Army.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Also, it had rocket kick legs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Maarak posted:

That was a Towasangan suit lent to the Capital Army.

True, but I don't think the design hybrid does it any favours - it's got all the bulk of a Towasangan suit (and more), but lacks the elegant, organic curves. That punch-dagger in particular is shitugly.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I really like the G-Self, with the Wing and Turn A being the only other gundams that appeal to me. I know it's supposed to look futuristic but there's something very retro about it, like it was a predecessor to the RX-78 from a time when suits were more stylized and exaggerated. Like a '59 Chevy vs [insert boxy 80's vehicle here].

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Yeah the Bifron sucks. It's basically a fat Hecate and the only cool thing it did was some Shiva arm spinning stuff. I'm also not a big fan of the Wuxia, Zacks, Ten Police suits or the Elmoran. The Gaitrash is a weird one for me because I like some things about it (body, beam cape) and hate others (the head). Also the Kabakali's shinguards suck.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My favorite is the Grimoire, it just looks great.I don't have a least favorite: I liked all the designs in the show. :)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh it's just a binder.

Bit of a shame but I love how well they emulated the look of old DK encyclopedia stuff.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The G-Reco BD covers are pretty great:

If you're wondering where Mask and Barara are, they're on Volume 4, but I was unable to find a good image of that one.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
That last one is basically the greatest

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seems Tomino wasn't hugely enthusiastic about how the show panned out.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I wonder how that compares to his feelings on his other shows after they wrapped up. All I really know is his comments on Victory Gundam (and if Gundam Sousei is to believed, he called the original Gundam an incomplete work).

I get the feeling he's his own worst critic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Try tracking Raraiya's spine on that cover of Volume 5 there.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try tracking Raraiya's spine on that cover of Volume 5 there.

her spine looks okay to me

don't know why there's someone else's legs down there though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tomino says that he personally likes it and that people didn't understand it which is pretty much his story from before it even aired.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Srice posted:

(and if Gundam Sousei is to believed, he called the original Gundam an incomplete work).

Well, the first Gundam has 9 less episodes then was originally planned.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

But I want to understand Tomino

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Tomino says that he personally likes it and that people didn't understand it which is pretty much his story from before it even aired.

He did explicitly say that his storytelling sucked and the good bits were provided by the rest of his staff. 'I liked it, everyone else didn't get it' implies a different attribution of blame.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Darth Walrus posted:

He did explicitly say that his storytelling sucked and the good bits were provided by the rest of his staff. 'I liked it, everyone else didn't get it' implies a different attribution of blame.

and tbh tomino is not actually very good at storytelling

he's p good at coming up with an overall plot, setting, and characters

he seems like he works okay with others during series production

but other people should be there to handle the detail work

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
That's a pretty harsh self-assessment, but I can see where he's coming from. When I watched Turn A Gundam (for example), I felt emotionally invested in what was going on. I can't honestly say the same thing about G Reco.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Srice posted:

I get the feeling he's his own worst critic.

Most artists usually are.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Clearly, the only thing to do is to make a movie trilogy with entirely new animation to simplify the plot and make it easier to follow.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Make a movie trilogy of the series as seen through the eyes of Chuchumy

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
How well did G Reco do anyhow? It seemed more to me the consensus was more "Eh" than "THIS IS TERRIBLE"

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Make a movie trilogy of the series as seen through the eyes of Chuchumy

All the show really needed was a green tinted fisheye lens.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

That isn't what he said at all. He said the storyboards were not up to par because he drew them like an old school robot style and that the sakuga was more impressive. He also continues with that later where he says that he thinks that the action scenes distracted people from the rest of the story. He obviously heaps blame upon himself but that isn't the same as him saying that his storytelling sucked. Most of the interview falls into the "I made it too hard to understand and people got distracted/didn't get it" territory.

The entire interview is basically Tomino being self-deprecating while also slipping in kind of passive-aggressive barbs at the audience. Which is kind of 100% Tomino, like it or dislike it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 26, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The GIG posted:

How well did G Reco do anyhow? It seemed more to me the consensus was more "Eh" than "THIS IS TERRIBLE"

Fairly well, from what I understand. Much more than Sunrise expected anyway.

Apparently it was the favourite anime of japanese grandmas.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Raku posted:

Clearly, the only thing to do is to make a movie trilogy with entirely new animation to simplify the plot and make it easier to follow.

I was going to suggest they make a prequel trilogy with even more kids and explain what exactly causes Newtype-ness, but sure, why not?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm shocked....SHOCKED!

Man the show really did have some great MS designs though.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm shocked....SHOCKED!

Man the show really did have some great MS designs though.

gently caress yeah, Grimoires.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Most artists usually are.

Very true. He's just making it more public than most :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
You know, I initially didn't like the Wuxia for failing to fit in with the other Capital Army designs, but after looking at the mass-produced Mack Knives and Elf Bullocks, the continuity is much more obvious. They're basically sleeker MP Macks with Bullocks' forearm-guns and oversized feet for ground combat.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Darth Walrus posted:

You know, I initially didn't like the Wuxia for failing to fit in with the other Capital Army designs, but after looking at the mass-produced Mack Knives and Elf Bullocks, the continuity is much more obvious. They're basically sleeker MP Macks with Bullocks' forearm-guns and oversized feet for ground combat.

Love the comments on that article.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

I'd say the Wuxia is more taking what they learned with their first real aerial prototype, the Elf Bullock, and applying it to the Cait Sith. The Mack Knife is the Elf Bullock with the excess armor stripped off for maneuverability.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I like the cait sith for what it is, but if I had to pick a suit I'd prefer they made HG Rectens.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ka0 posted:

I like the cait sith for what it is, but if I had to pick a suit I'd prefer they made HG Rectens.

I really don't get how that is not a thing already. It exists through almost the entire series, and they can milk a second kit off of it with the version that's armored and armed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really don't get how that is not a thing already. It exists through almost the entire series, and they can milk a second kit off of it with the version that's armored and armed.

The Catsith just got released, and the show's suit library is enormous. Give it time.

• Locked thread