Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

muike posted:

Yeah, but at this point I'm kind of afraid she'll be in gibbering brain damage land for the rest of the show. Maybe she'll end up about as sane as Tem Ray, which would be a step up. Even if she remains brain damaged a sense of agency from her instead of basically being a moeblob character in a moe-free world

The only babbling she did this episode was more being upset at being confined and looking to Bell and Noredo for help. Prior to that she was just examining the G-Self before falling asleep with a pillow on the barrel of it's gun, and more interestingly to me at least, afterwards when they went to hijack the G-Self, she was the first to try and enter it before Aida pulled her back, and once she was inside, spent the majority of any cockpit scenes looking around. The first scene in the cockpit she seems to be checking under the chair for instance, like she's looking for something. Her words have also started to make a bit more sense, since she said the word "trip" just before they boarded the unit, to well...go on a trip. It makes me hope she's back to normal within the next couple of episodes honestly. Whatever normal is for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also regarding the G-Self's little core booster. If this is going to go full-blown nanites and Black History, I'm half expecting at some point for the G-Self to get destroyed, eject the Core Booster, and then use nanites to rebuild itself around the pod.

The only way this will happen is if Tomino ignores the way the self-regeneration worked in Turn-A, given that in that show it took a few days for Turn-A to self-repair a dent to the head from a punch. It was a decent sized dent, but if it takes a few days to repair that it'd take months, if not years, to regenerate the entire suit. The translated information for the MG Turn-A and novels apparently validates that information. Not to say that he may not ignore that for the sake of drama, but I doubt it personally.

John Carstairs posted:

Tomino the Butcher strikes again. :argh:

Unrelated, the most hilarious example of this I can think of is from Kamen Rider Agito. One of the main characters, Ryu, Kamen Rider Gills dies several times through out the show and is resurrected each time, his life a constant string of tragedies, his girlfriends dying and so on. In the penultimate episode he picks up a puppy and seems to get a kind of happy ending. The writer, Inoue stated in an interview a while later that as far as he's concerned the puppy died the next day.

Sakurazuka posted:

Wispy beam sabres are the best beam sabres. They just look more deadly somehow.

It's not surprising really. If you show something with a thinner blade achieving the same effect, then it comes off as being more powerful because of it. The sound effects help too. That crackling sound from Turn-A is fantastic.

Midjack posted:

Looking forward to Raraya's full recovery from her decompression retard syndrome, though at least she's not a literal screaming baby like Karlman.

I like the idea that she's a Moonrace spy. She looks enough like Loran, and Earthrace people used plenty of captured/discovered Moonrace suits in Turn A, after all.

Loran isn't really particularly representative of the Moonrace though. Dianna, Harry, Teteth Haley, Gym Ghinginham, Merrybell, Agrippa, Loran's friends from the canals on the Moon (as far as I can recall) and other people like Agrippa's assassin dude who Harry killed with a swipe of the SUMO's hand and so on all look very different from Loran. Loran looks pretty unique even for the Moonrace.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BlitzBlast posted:

I have absolutely no clue what exactly happened when Bellri killed his instructor. It goes from the Reflector pack tanking a shot from behind (and Bellri freaking out for some reason?) to the other suit taking a chomp out of the shield (the instructor is freaking out too for some reason?), then a punch and then the killshot and then there's a Newtype moment or something? I'd attribute it to the G-Self acting on its own but Bellri struggling with denial makes it out to be him pulling the trigger. So that entire sequence is just a question mark.

The thing that confuses me about the fight is that the Elf-Bull appears to lose it's legs at some point between frames just before Bellri/G-Self shoots his unit. The unit is intact when Dellensen transforms to bite the shield, then he swipes the arm across to cut off some of the reflector bits and suddenly when the killing shot is fired the unit has no legs and appears to have been damaged below the torso to lose them since the metal there is rather rough and ragged looking. I'm also confused as to how Dellensen knew it was Bellri. I would assume Bellri thinks it might be him because he recognized the voice when Dellensen exclaimed that it was Bellri, but how did Dellensen figure out it was Bellri since I don't think Bellri made any comments while in direct contact (and thus contact link) with the Elf-Bull. Did he just recognize him from how good the piloting was or his style of combat or something?

Still, I did love how demonic the G-Self looked in some of the shots when it was absorbing the beam shots. The entire effect is cool. I just love all those hexagonal beam effects and seeing the bits break when they absorb too much energy. It was also good to see that Bellri has a mission and that the Colonel that let him and Aida steal the unit might actually have a half decent plan in mind in letting them go in the first place and just not expect Bellri to be allowed to pilot against any rescue forces. I hope he doesn't turn out to be entirely evil and this is at least some indication he may not be.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

He seems to have no problems blowing up generic mooks in Caitsiths(even Dellensen in a Caitsith mostly just surprised him briefly without inflicting any real damage), but yeah he's definitely no Red Comet.

Kind of funny you use Char as an example of a real genius pilot when Char never really beat any named pilots himself, and spent the entirety of Zeta jobbing because he was a secondary character on the good guys side. Even in 0079 he talked up a big game but wasn't really up to the image he portrayed, losing to Amuro in the Gundam repeatedly despite talking about how a superior suit was useless in the hands of an inferior pilot. Something that becomes especially apparent given that Char's Gelgoog outclasses the original Gundam in most respects by the time he gets it, never-mind the Zeong. He does have his moments, but Yazan, Scirocco, Haman, Katejina etc. are probably better examples of dangerous enemy pilots in Gundam.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm not saying he's a bad pilot, I'm just saying he was a bad example to pull, especially when talking about pilots who live up to their hype and that there are better pilots than him in every show he's in, multiple better pilots in the case of Zeta. And I say this as someone who's spent longer than I care to admit arguing for his showing in the final fight of CCA on multiple occasions over on /m/. He is a good pilot, but when you look at the history of Gundam, even just at UC alone, he's outclassed by quite a few named people and doesn't really achieve that much as a pilot.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I seriously cannot be the only person who has no idea what the third column contributes to the reference, can I?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Azipod posted:

The same thing as a certain mustachioed mobile suit, according to the internet.

Said mustachioed mobile suit has two of them though, along with an innovative movement system that means it has no actuators or any other kind of internal skeleton, but instead basically makes a puppet of itself and moves by pulling on it's own strings so that the weight is cut down and the innards are much less cluttered and thus can equip more weapons and equipment. The series is packing some cool toys, but Turn-A still has the edge on it at the moment in terms of technology.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

GimmickMan posted:

That first scene alone convinced me that this Char clone is already better than 90% of other Char clones.

Well, when the competition is guys like Zechs Marquis, Rau le Creuset or Neo Roanoke, it's not hard to be better. Still, there are some decent ones like Chronicle who wasn't a great enemy, but was a sympathetic character and Graham Aker, who kind of fell apart in season two but was great in season one of 00. Harry Ord stands above all though.

Ethiser posted:

I just want to remind everybody that the G-Arcane can transform into a flight mode. I hope the story I heard about Tomino forgetting this fact until like 16 episodes in is true.

I think it was episode 18, and there was another recent rumor it's not going to transform in show at all.

Raxivace posted:

In all honesty I was hoping they would shoot down the G-Self and kill Bellri or Goldfish Girl, because seriously they are SO BLAND in comparison to Mask and his crew. Why can't Mask be the main character?

I'm pretty sure there isn't a single show in existence where there isn't at least some folks wishing secondary characters would replace the main cast. Which might almost lead one to believe that the secondary cast shine in a lot of cases not because they're inherently more interesting, but because the smaller screentime and focus gives them a mysterious and/or underdog quality.

Like, Mask's crews entire characterization so far consists of "we want recognition because our ancestors were hosed over and we're called names". That's it. Sure, it's only after a few seconds of screentime, but I'm not sure how you can say that the space pirates who are fighting for power in a setting where they're being systematically denied it by the only true superpower, who have been engaged in decades of war with the other nations in the same position and who have a concrete plan they're following are less interesting than that. Even Mask himself isn't really all that interesting, given that he has essentially the exact same motivation as his crew, just with a bit more focus and a more entertaining personality. Klim is pretty much the same on the pirate's side as is.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 7, 2014

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

They're experiencing institutional discrimination that once led to their ancestors getting used as loving livestock. That's a pretty enormous deal. I mean, try telling a Jew that antisemitic slurs aren't a big deal because the Holocaust was a long time ago, or tell a black guy that it's OK for you to call him a friend of the family because slavery's illegal now. See if you manage to finish the sentence before he rearranges your face. Yes, the Kuntala cannibalism is implied to be a bit longer ago than those examples, but they were literally used as food.

Literally the only discrimination we've actually seen in show though is name calling. And not even particularly wide-spread name calling. Or institutionalized name-calling, given that the space-pope and all the other heads of the Capital, Willmit Zenam and Colonel Cumpa or whatever his name is included don't appear to give a poo poo about it since they never made any comments about Luin or Noredo's heritage beyond confirming that they were one. Luin used the prospect of advancement despite their heritage as a means to motivate his men this episode, but if there's a glass ceiling for them or what have you, we've yet to actually see it. The only people who've made any kind of acknowledgement of it have been low level dicks like Bellri and Luin's classmate and Dellensen's squadmate.

Also, that poo poo loses it's power over time in many cases. Try calling an Irish person a Paddy or a Mick or what have you. See how many of them smash in your face rather than just laugh it off. I'd certainly never take offense at it, and I am one. If there's more than name-calling going on, and there quite probably is, then we've yet to be shown it. Which is why I put it down only as name-calling, because that's all it is so far.

Also, the holocaust wasn't a long time ago. It's only been 70 years. On a historical scale, that's very recent. The entire Kuntala thing is implied to be more like a thousand years ago.

Darth Walrus posted:

Even the Nazis saw eating Jews as going slightly too far. That poo poo is going to leave echoes.

The kuntala weren't eaten out of discrimination, the discrimination is implied to have arisen because they were eaten and viewed as less than as a means for the people doing it to live with themselves for having done so given that they apparently had literally no other options if they wanted food. Applying it as a direct analogue of a hate crime is kind of pointless because the circumstances are so radically different from what we've been told.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 7, 2014

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Eiba posted:

There's a whole lot in this show that's implied, rather than shown. It's understood that they're a minority subject to discrimination. They don't need to go full social-issues-documentary for us to assume that they actually do face discrimination.

They don't, but showing something more than name calling directly would still be appreciated if the show is going to to have the characters motivated by discrimation.

Eiba posted:

I mean, of course things could be a different way. But they aren't. What's your point?

My point was that the only thing we've been shown so far is name calling. More than that, I wasn't even really trying to say anything about the kuntala themselves or that they weren't facing real discrimination (I even admitted next post that there most likely is more going on), only that we haven't been shown much in the way of discrimination. Which I was saying mostly to counter the idea that Mask and his squadmates were inherently more interesting than the space pirates, who are in a sort of similar situation, in that they're trying to fight against institutionalized abuse of power, even if for different reasons and have much the same kind of person within their ranks as Luin in the form of Klim.

My point wasn't about the kuntala at all, it was that secondary characters often appeal to people more than the primary cast because their limited screen time means that more is left to the imagination and/or because there is less there to grate on someone's nerves in some cases.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ryas posted:

I'd say the segregated kuntala-only unit the Capital is essentially throwing to the wolves is pretty evident of the discrimination the kuntala face.

You know, for some reason I entirely blanked on that fact despite it being sort of central to the argument I was in in the first place. Which is a bit of an embarrassing oversight. Yea, that's definitely evidence of more going on. I do wonder though in that case who commissioned the unit. One would assume Cumpa, the guy opposing Willmit and who let Aida, Bellri and Raraiya fly off in the G-Self - if it is though, he's at least restrained in his racism given that I'm pretty sure he's sat beside and spoken with Luin on a few occasions in the last couple of episodes without making any sign that he cared about his heritage. I suppose it's possible he's using them because he knows they'll fight harder given their heritage, but more than likely not.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There's also the fact that there are no visible physical differences between kuntala and anyone else. People have been trying to specify what they thought were the physical traits of kuntala on /m/ for a while now actually, whether it was a dot on the head or anime hair colors, but both of those are traits shared by non-kuntala as far as we were aware all along. The fact that Luin had to look in to the background of his crew to know they were kuntala and that the people within it weren't aware of it themselves confirms that it isn't a racial issue though. Not that the fact that Willmit had to ask about Noredo after she was introduced shouldn't have confirmed this all along I guess, but yea, there's no physical markers for being a kuntala according to the show.

It is an issue of some kind obviously, just ethnically based, not racially.

Edit: Also, the fact that Luin had to look in to the backgrounds of his unit to learn what ethnicity they were would suggest that they were all trained within the regular army rather than segregated in to specific kuntala training units prior to that point. Which means that Mask's unit is probably an exception rather than the rule.

tsob fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 8, 2014

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

I wonder if SU-Cordists end up being the ancestors of those people in Turn A who worship the moon.

Nah, those people are simply descendants of the original Moonrace settlers that Dianna sent down about 2 centuries beforehand when she came down and met Will Game. They left some folks behind when they went back to the Moon to get the ball rolling on the whole return thing, which is why the hippie folks know about the Moonrace. They worship it because over the years the kids of succeeding generations twisted the information passed on to them until it became what you see in show. It's also why they face discrimination from the normal Moonrace folks and feel hard done by about it. It's all covered in the show.

In other news, one of the guys over on /m/ started translating one of the Turn-A artbooks, which reveals some very telling info about the setting and which would appear to be rather directly connected to G-Reco. In fact, it makes it seem like Tomino is simply making a series out of some of the background info that he put together for Turn-A 15 years ago. I'm just going to put a spoilers warning here before I post the link, because while the relevant information could end up not happening and Tomino changing his mind regarding the setting over the years, it would seem that the link contains some big spoilers regarding the events of G-Reco.

The stuff he's translated so far can be found at: http://pastebin.com/nndzmTeg

I say so far because he's apparently going to do more, though I've no idea how much or when obviously. Still, this is some very interesting stuff. The relevant stuff is below and again, could potentially be regarded as spoilers for G-Reco, up to and including the probably finale:

"TE Spoilers Guy posted:

At the end of the Universal Century, it seemed that the countless space wars would finally come to an end, but the unending consumption had reduced Earth's resources close to zero. During this age, Earth was still the center of human civilization, and mankind sought to restore civilization on Earth. To do this they needed massive amounts of materials, which had to be mined from asteroids which were moved near to Earth. The Sackträger's predecessor, the fixed orbital elevator, was built in order to make moving the mined resources down to Earth easier. This megastructure was also supposed to be a symbol of peace, and Earth did in fact have peace for a few hundred years after the construction of the orbital elevator. It seems that there might have been several orbital elevators during this period, and that Manupiti was the Earthside base station for them, and there is (in Turn A's age) a fuctioning mass driver in Manupiti. After several hundred years, however, another space war erupted and the orbital elevators were destroyed. The remains of the orbital elevators falling from space caused massive damage to Earth, and it is said that some of these parts were later used to built the Sackträger in Manupiti's legends of the Branch of Ades. That the parts of the orbital elevators were used to build the Sackträger is not true, however, as they were products of entirely different ages; The elevator collapse was such a huge disaster that as ages passed it continued to be passed down and memories and records of history ended up getting compressed and combining the records of the two completely different megastructures. Also, the helmet worn by the king of Manupiti is based on astronaut helmets from long ago. Either way,the fixed orbital elevator was never rebuilt, and instead the rotation-type Sackträger was built instead.

So yea, it looks like we may be seeing the return of Kill 'em all Tomino. It does however, make me curious if Tomino is already planning some sequel series that move the setting on another couple of hundred years and picks back up around the time of the Zacktraeger - a Zeta to G-Reco's 0079 as it were.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 19, 2014

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
According to Turn-A, the Moonrace are just folks who fled to the Moon during the Turn-A's apocalyptic use of the Moonlight Butterfly. They wanted to return to the Earth, because that's where they, or their ancestors were from and they were sick of living on the Moon with it's limited resources and fragile systems where any mistakes or problems practically ensured death for someone given the waiting void of space so close to hand. While someone is definitely living on the Moon in G-Reco, they don't have to be the same folks and whatever systems are in place there at the moment can be destroyed, deconstructed etc. in the intervening centuries.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Okay that's not a Mobile Suit, that's a groin-mounted cockpit short of an Orbital Frame :colbert:. Is there a link for the G-Reco kits? They weren't in the other link you posted with the other announced kits.

It's an Orbital Frame with a Mazinger style head and even has what could be a tiny pilder in there too. The Jaiohn on the other hand looks like it could be based off the Tricky pack given the configuration of bits on the back.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If it's a case of using the budget to animate entirely new sequences that are aren't actually important regardless of quality or putting them in to fight scenes in the show I'll take the later. It's a shame, but I'm not sure why it's bothering some people enough that they're still grumbling about it after 9 episodes. Sure, Sunrise should be able to afford to have the entire thing at a high quality with a unique opening dozens of times over, but they're obviously not gracing Tomino with that budget and at least he's making half decent use of what he has and not wasting it on TM Revolution for instance.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

The opening bothers me largely because not only is it recycled animation (which is fine) but it is poorly recycled animation. The shot choices they made barely fit the song and it ends up looking really really low-effort. I mean I skip the opening mostly at this point but still.

I don't skip the opening because I love the song, much more so than the ending which most everyone else seems to far prefer, but yea, I never really watch the opening - just leave it on in the background while I do something else for a minute.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sharkopath posted:

Really good episode, not a lot to say beyond how yet again, the small animation touches on this show are really incredible.

Also recksnows in bandannas. :3:

I laughed out loud when that happened. Loved seeing them tying them on to their heads. Favorite moment though was probably Aida turning just before she's attacked by the Wuxia, and her rifle hopping off a tree. She really needs to get a smaller one. Also, Kerbes or whatever his name is seems to be hitting it off with Aida. With them noting that Bellri is adopted and possibly Aida's sister, that could develop in to a fun little relationship.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Not really. They speculated last episode about rumors that Bellri was adopted and despite Bellri having twigged a connection to Aida in the first episode, we're now over a third of the way through the show with them having spent time together every episode and there's no real romantic tension there as of yet. With Kerbes taking an immediate shine to Aida, and Aida treating the guy more friendly than she does Bellri already, presumably because there isn't the specter of a dead friend looming between them I would actually be surprised at this point if they did turn in to a romantic thing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Bellri and Aida share a unique biological marker and at least one of them has recently been stated to possibly be adopted - so if there's a reason they couldn't be siblings then yea, I'm missing it. Do feel free to point it out though since I'm not gonna see it otherwise I suppose.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't even get why her recovery was drawn out over so many episodes personally. She doesn't seem like someone who has so much important information that she can markedly affect the plot now that she's recovered while she's still on the Megafuana. She'll no doubt prove very useful once they reach Towasanga in that she knows the place, but she doesn't seem like she'd have been able to tell them something that would have cut out any of the last several episodes if she'd recovered around episode 6 for instance. And she'd have been much more entertaining in her normal persona by the looks of things since she keeps all the fun goofiness but ditches the weird elements.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sharkopath posted:

Since episode 15 has actually screened but won't air till next week, I won't specify details, but she does actually know a lot about the situation on the moon, like a lot of a lot.

The entire mystery of what is going on up there would have been kneecapped right away, because she could just tell everybody.

Assuming that's true and that the information she provides would have meant the Megafauna wanted to skip Sankt Porto to go straight to Towasanga it should be easy enough for the show to write in some reason that they need to go to Sankt Porto regardless. Needing to drop off Bellri's mother for some kind of strategic meeting with the Space Pope or what have you for instance. And if the information is such that it'd heavily distort the talks taking place the way you're indicating it is, they could also have her recover her mental faculties enough to act normal but not recover vital memories until she see's either the Towasangan's themselves or her hometown. It just doesn't seem that necessary to have her running around being stupid for a dozen episodes to me, and while it's not a major strike against the show or anything, it it something that could have been better done in my opinion.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sharkopath posted:

Moe is good, and way better than ultra competent characters that have the combined personality of soggy breadcrumbs.

Moe is usually pretty poo poo in a show like G-Reco, Raraiya included and presenting a false dilemma with only two possible choices doesn't make it any less so because there are far more ways to write characters than the two you presented. Fortunately it looks like she'll be far more entertaining in future now that she has her normal personality back, so she should be good for the back half of the show even if she was just kind of pointless for the front half.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sharkopath posted:

Raraiya is cute, and cool.

I just don't see what's wrong with Moe.

There's nothing inherently wrong with it, it's just that the execution of it Tomino went with in G-Reco was both rather out of place and kind of annoying to boot. Especially when you find out that her normal persona keeps all of the goofiness but ditches the random stupidity like her attacking the G-Self for no reason or constantly shouting gibberish. She could have been both rather moe and still fun while piloting and the plot being unaffected if she'd just not recovered her memories for the past dozen or so episodes. She'll be cuter AND cooler in the following episodes than she ever was in the first 13 going by the preview, because a normal person doing those things deliberately to tease, annoy or even just amuse themselves is more endearing than a brain damaged person doing them for nebulous reasons. Intention and intelligence adds to it rather than detracting.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sharkopath posted:

She's still Moe though, and Caros would rather have her dead.

You find brain damage moe? Okay then. I would say some of her actions are fun/funny, but most of them are just kind of pitiable and weird. And no, he doesn't want her dead - he wants her introduced later in the series, or having more impact on the episodes if she's around all the time, or just ditching the brain damage somehow (there's several possible ways). He said another pilot could have been killed piloting it in the opening episodes before she's introduced later, not that she should have died in the opening episodes.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Red Bones posted:

Tomino made a moe character, and his moe character literally has brain damage and constantly gets in peoples ways, and most of the time people are too busy doing other poo poo to find her cute. She's always seemed like a pretty obvious criticism of moe to me.

My problem with that line of reasoning is that I not only doubt it's true, it's pretty pointless even if it is because all he's doing is preaching to the choir at the end of the day. You can't create a character archetype and then spend a dozen or more episodes playing them straight and expect most people to see it as any kind of real criticism. The people you're trying to say it's bad too will just end up seeing it as another example of that character archetype - Rei from Evangelion being the best example of this. Anno rather explicitly created her to be an example of this exact type of thing and yet she became perhaps the progenitor of the whole craze and one of the most famous and beloved examples of it by fans. No-one watching was thinking "this is what I've been finding cute? Wow, that is hosed up" when they saw either Rei or Raraiya.

I doubt it's true though, because Tomino has done it before with Puru and her clone sisters, who spent their time running around chasing Judau, looking for ice-cream, taking baths and what not before hopping in mechs to die without any really commenting on it or caring. He just seems to like cute characters in his comedy shows. At least Princess...Anna (I think) in King Gainer was actually useful, likable and not even remotely creepy or sad though, so she stands as a good contrast to those two. Chill in Xabungle too, though she didn't really do much either that I recall.

Fat and Useless posted:

Gundam Reconguista in G: This Moeblob Has Brain Damage

Gundam Reconguista in G: Klim Nick for President
Gundam Reconguista in G: In the Year of Our Space Pope 1014
Gundam Reconguista in G: Don't say the K Word
Gundam Reconguista in G: Do You Speak Tomino? Please Apply Within for Position!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Al was the main character of 0080, so it didn't happen there either. The entire show is viewed through his perspective and the main thrust of it is to show how his view of war changes, with the show bookending it with how radically different it is at the start and end. It's his show.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sharkopath posted:

He also rewrote the ending due to feedback he got from the voice actors while doing a recording session, which is interesting.

I find this noteworthy in contrast to Hino who refused to change the ending to AGE despite several complaints from female staff members.

ImpAtom posted:

Beam weapons being dispersed or countered by other weapons is something Gundam has done before. Kamille's Beam Confuse in Zeta Gundam is actually a fairly famous example of him dispersing a beam over a wider range. The nets have the same effect but still leave damaging beams behind (as, again, Kamille's Beam Confuse did) which are then dispersed by other weapons.

Loran uses the Turn-A's targeting computer to snipe beams out of the air numerous times in Turn-A too. The process is shown in detail in one episode, but he casually does it several more times throughout the show.

ImpAtom posted:

The G-Self has pretty consistent powersets. It can screw with electronics, project images of itself and make a barrier. Everything else it can do comes from the backpacks which are pretty absurd but fairly coherent in their gimmicks.

Speaking of Turn-A, the Turn-A did the exact same thing Caros is complaining about throughout the show. It used an I-Field to disperse a mega-particle canon shot around about episode 26, healed its damaged head out of the blue around about episode 15 (I think), used it's beam sabers to somehow become invisible (that was Gym's explanation, he may have been wrong and it simply teleported) around about episode 44 and the first time it used the Moonlight Butterfly, it was just after running away from his battle with Gym's Turn-X to help Sochie and company stop an assault on the palace, where he deploys it to eat a load of missiles. There's probably other poo poo I'm forgetting too. The common factor in all cases is that he does it with absolutely no fan-fare, never acts surprised about any of these things (though the engineer comments on the nanos repairing the head) and that none of them ever come up again despite how useful most of them would be.

In the case of the Turn-A, it was presumably done to build up the mystery surrounding the suit. It's easy to see it now looking back because I knew what the Turn-A was going in to the show, but watching as it was airing it'd presumably have come off the same way. While the Towasangans have said that the G-Self was an aborted mass production design I would speculate that the Rayhuntons or some other faction Raraiya was with modified it beyond it's intended specs using the Rose of Hermes blueprints and that some of this once and done stuff is there for the same purpose - to build up mystery regarding the suit or technology.

Especially with the mention of newtypes, though that should surprise literally no-one. Regardless, if newtypes are still rare as gently caress, then Bellri being one may allow him to utilize parts of the technology built in to Towasangan stuff that most of them can't. The Turn-A is noted in the manuals to have lots of abilities only a newtype pilot can take advantage of, perhaps the G-Self is the same and it will stand above other mook suits simply because Bellri can use tech they can't? Aida too - though in her case it'd be that she fails to take advantage of the tech I suppose.

Also, the only time it was damaged in the entire show outside of the final episode was the head being dented around about episode 15. The Turn-A is definitely worse in that regard, since it didn't even have backpacks to damage. It just never suffered damage outside that one scene. Not that I mind personally, but worth pointing out in passing, especially since G-Reco shares a lot with Turn-A and is basically a prequel to it by the looks of things. Not in the leading directly to it sense, but in the sense that it's events will help shape the setting of Turn-A and it has a lot of similar touches in terms of directing.

Caros posted:

Oh its entirely possible. The reason the scene stands out for me was that it was pointless. They cut to a shot of Noredo shooting her slingshot at something off screen, then she imediately puts it away and goes to talk to Raraiya. Its just a very odd scene that makes no sense in the context that it is offered. Frankly It'd be a good target for photoshop phriday "The gently caress is she shooting at edition."

I imagine it was done partially for the same reason that the guy who does Archer always has characters holding glasses of alcohol. It gives them something to do with their hands and makes them look less stiff. Yes, it's a silly thing to be doing, but most people won't know or care. The fact it could be visual characterization is there too, though it's too early to tell.

John Carstairs posted:

Kind of the opposite of what they did with the Hecate. I've seen the "Design 1" Gyoubu's talking about, and, despite his claims, it really isn't all that different from the final version besides the proportions. Although it did wear a big, honkin' (beam?) saber on its left hip like the heroine from "Princess Knight." :v:

Got a pic out of interest? Sounds interesting at least, wouldn't mind seeing it.

tsob fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 10, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sharkopath posted:

It's the idea of separating the robot action from the actual movements of the narrative. As a robot fan that can be hard, but combat in greco is actually pretty inconsequential, and serves mostly as something exciting to break up parts of the story, and also to illustrate how unused to it the characters are. It just happens and then people go back to the ship and move the story forward.

I'd actually say that's the biggest negative of the show, as interesting as some of the combat can be it feels really separated from the rest of the show. It's Fight Of The Week when I don't think it needs to be.

Yea, it'd be nice to see a mecha show where they're allowed to have episodes without giant robot fights, at least on occasion. Aida's plot line would probably be a lot more satisfying by now though if she had, for instance, stopped being a pilot, let Raraiya take the G-Arcane and taken over command of the ship because she'd proven competent in a command position or something. I realize it already has a captain, but I'm sure it could be done somehow, even if it meant him dying, becoming her first mate or Aida taking on a sub position like first mate to learn the ropes because she's good but needs experience as well as talent according to the show/captain.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I wish we had some clarification about how much of this is interference in the story Tomino wants to tell. The G-Self is excessively toyetic (big head, big eyes, it's very childlike in appearance and probably the cutest Gundam we've had in a long time) and most fights feel like someone said "We need to be sure to spend a few minutes having toy robots blowing up other toy robots" rather than letting the fights come naturally and integrate themselves into the plot.

I don't think the G-Self is something forced on him to be honest. I think it's just designed that way to emphasize the wide eyed, innocent nature of the vast majority of the cast when it comes to what they're doing. I've never heard anything about the mecha designers being interfered with in what the designs they're doing are allowed to be in that way, and all the mecha designer interviews mention him and Tomino back and forthing to design it, not anything to do with Bandai staff or Sunrise executives. Bandai certainly dictates how many suits they want in some shows, and how many should be Gundams or asks for new suits to be introduced or what have you - but I've never heard stories they've dictated that a suit has to look a certain way.

Closest I can think of is Mead being told the SUMO didn't look Gundam enough, which is similar but more a case that it doesn't have enough hallmarks of what they feel a lead unit should have and not them saying that the unit should look like so. Even then I think that was Tomino and other production staff, not higher ups.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

As far as I can tell, the G-Arcane is a crappy, hacked-together piece of poo poo built off incomplete blueprints by people who didn't know what they were doing. Raraya's Moran is a far better machine, so it's probably for the best that she keeps it.

Now, if Aida gets her hands on that creepy-cool Qubeley-alike that the Arcane's based off and starts Newtyping it up, that'd be rad. I mean, c'mon, we've already got heroic Zakus, Doms, a Big Zam, and a Gottrlattan. Let's give one of the most iconic villain suits of the Universal Century a chance to kick rear end on the side of the angels.

I'd prefer Raraiya get the G-Lucifer if anyone on the side of the angels is going to, because Aida is already failing to take advantage of several cool features of the G-Arcane like it's beam wires, transformation ability and so on and I'd prefer not to see her do the same with another suit too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Not sure that's really the best counterpart given that it's pilot is basically a less malicious Gym Ginginham and could easily become one of the series's antagonists by the end of the show in the same way Guin did by the end of Turn-A - his ambition overtaking his common sense and causing him to do things that horrify the main cast despite their relationship with him prior to that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Was he? He doesn't seem to have done anything to indicate he had a crush on her for a while now, and barely ever did so beyond the first episodes events. He didn't even seem freaked out when it was revealed they were related. He seemed more upset at the idea that he was from Towasanga when looking at the colony and the Earth, presumably because it was reminding him of his mother and the fact she isn't his real mother. I get the feeling his insistence that it wasn't love in the early episodes when Luin and them were mocking him was actually the truth on his part.

I really wish Tomino had asked for 50 episodes for G-Reco, since he apparently only wanted 26 and felt that was more than enough, because the pacing on a lot of stuff is just way too fast and it ends up making everything feel really rushed and cramped. The scene this episode where the resistance woman tells Raraiya that she's sorry and that things must have been hard on her before hugging her only for Raraiya to immediately start tearing up is a good example, because her reaction just felt too fast and in a show with more room to breath she'd probably have been able to pause for a second or two and start crying in a more natural manner. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like this nearly as much as Turn-A when all is said and done because there's just no slowdown in the show and a lot of the stuff feels like it'd work a lot better if the show would give the characters a little room to stop and pause and have a slow scene or even episode where they can stop and think for a short while the way characters did in Turn-A.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 17, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Caros posted:

While using nukes for blowing up a colony, city or asteroid could be done the old fashioned ICBM/Missile way, shooting tactical nukes like what the GP-02 was designed for is really only possible at close range. Minovsky particles make long range targeting useless unless the target is huge, and ships are moving so fast that even the blast of a nuke needs to be pretty spot on to have any effect. Minovsky particles even warp visible light, meaning you have to be at a short range to even be sure you are shooting at the right direction/angle.

The GP-02 is designed to be able to defend itself and fire a nuke at combat distances without being destroyed in the process. It was actually pretty good at its job when you look at it that way.

There's also the fact that nukes aren't as dangerous in space as they are on Earth as a lot of the destructive potential is mitigated by the vacuum of space from my (very basic) understanding. The fact that space has no air means there's no blast wave and no real heat beyond the initial blast zone to worry about, only the radiation and explosion in the immediate, and much more contained (owning to the lack of blast wave) area. The radiation there is of a higher frequency I believe (though I've no idea why) than it would be on Earth, but the danger is, overall, much less wide spread.

I would assume the GP-02 was designed as a mobile suit because mobile suits were the hot new military thing following the One Year War, and militaries are as prone to impulse buying, bad decisions and lack of foresight as any other person or organization. Anaheim took advantage of this by shoving nukes in to mobile suits as a vanity project and a way to get the Feds to buy yet another machine and called it a day.

BlitzBlast posted:

The sillier part is that the GP-02 wasn't designed for close quarters combat in any way, and yet Gato still beat Kou in the GP-01 Fb. With a broken arm.

God drat Kou, you suck.

There's a new manga out called Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Rebellion that is basically to 0083 what Origin is to 0079. Zeonic Scans recently released the first two volumes (out of 3 volumes available so far) and it's actually pretty drat good. Like, it's "makes Kou a decent character from the off" good. Which is pretty amazing. It gives him a personality and some visible skill, while emphasizing just how stiff and insanely loyal Gato is. Kou comes across as quite dorky, but a nice guy regardless while Gato comes across as someone with a Zeon flag shoved so far up his rear end it flutters when he sneezes. It's kind of a shame that they keep Delaz and Gato as always "on" loyal soldiers though honestly, because there's a scene of some Zeon soldiers getting drunk and celebrating (by (really minor spoiler)pissing on a submarine to "christian" it and it'd have been nice to see those two in a more human and relatable light too.

The manga even plays up the test pilot angle by showing the team Kou belongs to testing new equipment and arguing with normal soldiers. The one thing it doesn't do sadly, is make any more sense of the fact that GP-02 is equipped with a live nuke during initial testing. It shows the nuke being requisitioned and loaded, but at no point does anyone pause to question why they'd be doing it or comment on how absurd it is given that the unit hasn't even been had it's paint dry yet. I think it'd have been improved by having Delaz either pulling a nuke from some old Zeon base or robbing one from the Feds later in the story. It'd also help put the rather :tinfoil: idea that Bask Om and others arranged for Operation Stardust to happen as a means to grab power to bed, since I think any such black flag stuff is inherently less interesting than any story where such horrific organizations arise by natural means.

Still, it makes 0083's story and characters fun (at least so far) so it's more than worth a read if you're looking for some new Gundam manga. Hopefully it won't be too long before volume 03 is released (though Deacon, Zeonic's main staff member is notoriously slow and fickle with these things), because volume 02 leaves off just as Kou is about to meet Gato in combat for the first time following the Gundam jack.

Volume 01

Volume 02

The GP-01 also gets some chobham armor (a la the Alex) that helps it survive should it be in the combat zone alongside it's buddy suit, the GP-02 when it fires it's nuke, and which gives it a really cool new face. I'm actually a fan of Gundam faces normally, but the visor look is much nicer for the GP-01 in my opinion.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anyone else think that the head on Raraiya's new MS is going to pop off at some point and reveal a Gundam head beneath? The design's a thousand years old, and it's got the samurai mask...

It pops off to reveal the Nise Gundam head, just to gently caress with everyone.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Srice posted:

The only Tomino show I can think of that didn't have a battle every single episode was Turn A. I think that's just how he prefers to do things.

I'm pretty sure even Turn-A had a battle of some kind in every episode. A lot of people seem to come out of it with the impression there were only 5 or 6 battles in the entire show or something, but there are a lot of small skirmishes throughout the show and while I haven't watched it in a while I'm almost positive there was some kind of conflict in every episode, even if many of them were rather small or quick.

Caros posted:

Actually, fun question. What do people expect out of the finale? I really can't even guess at this point who is going to be on the good or bad side of things besides the obvious answer of Bellri and Co.

I want it to all turn out well in the end, but the fact that setting notes for the history of the Turn-A universe from an artbook released around 2000 that were translated a few weeks back on /m/ seem to line up entirely with the setting for G-Reco would suggest that may not be likely. Those notes aside I'm expecting Klim Nick and/or Cumpa to ally with a Venusian and try and make a grab for power over the whole Earthsphere, each for their own understandable reasons, but ultimately doing bad stuff for good reason because they're both a bit too greedy for their own good.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I reckon it just makes it more likely that the ending's gonna go Moonlit Butterfly. It turns into such a convoluted clusterfuck of crossed intentions that it all needs a clean sweep of the board.

Unless Tomino ignores his own established canon or has the Turn-X turn up in the next couple of episodes it can't go Moonlight Butterfly, because the Moonlight Butterfly was reverse engineered from the Turn-X - which was found floating at the edge of the Solar System and created by extra-Solar beings - probably Newtypes who had left. Which also hasn't happened yet, given that the colonies were still visible in one shot a few episodes ago. And having the Turn-X just turn up out of the blue now would be pretty terrible writing, since that's the kind of event that kicks off it's own show, not wraps up another one.

Mind you, Tomino could totally ignore his own setting notes and just have someone create the Moonlight Butterfly independently or something, but I doubt it. If there's going to be anything like a clean sweep then setting notes would suggest it'll happen by the simple process of destroying the orbital tower. It's debris would wreak havoc on Earth, and completely gently caress up the relations between all sides in space as well as on Earth given how integral the photon battery delivery process is to all of them. I'm assuming that if this happens though it'll be somewhat framed as a good thing because Aida's entire deal is wanting to free people from the tyrany of that, but I'm not honestly seeing exactly how it could be pulled off without some viable alternate power source.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sharkopath posted:

The pacing does remind me of King Gainer, where most of the run is very relaxed and its the final batch of episodes thats sets up the final conflict and resolution.

Relaxed is not a word I'd use to describe the pacing of any episodes of G-Reco.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Now that Harobe has had one where it does a little dance and everything I'm not counting anything out. I really wish they'd used a different character for every break though, instead of repeating characters for the first 16 or so episodes before putting in a new one. Seeing Cumpa, Space Pope etc. dance would be fantastic.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's presumably unintentional, but the color scheme and design of the arm shield/thrusters reminds me a bit of the Flat, from Turn-A. I guess it's just the kind of long, thin-ness of it in conjunction with it's kind of boxy over-all appearance and color scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He's someone who won't be born for thousands of years and somehow aged backwards a few years in that time?

• Locked thread