Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I wish it would be possible to get episode by episode reactions for like turn a as it was airing.

I really liked the first episode, that madcap what is going on pace for an intro episode is a tomino thing I dig.
Probably catch 2 later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Favorite small animation touch: that one cheerleader girl going way too fast and bumping her head on the glass.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Caros posted:

You know, I've never actually watched Turn A apart from a few snippets. I had a friend who is really into Gundam who shares the same opinion on 99% of series (we only really disagree a little bit on wing) who couldn't stand it and because I hate the art aesthetics I never bothered.

Yeah it seems this shows reception is going to end up the same way as Tomino's other late era stuff: One sect of people is going to love the hell out of it, and the other sect won't love it at all. Not much middle ground, but that's okay. It's okay to not like things.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

Dang those AGE writeups weren't enjoyable to read but I feel like with Turn A there can be a lot of discussion. In batches, at least. As much as the episode where they use the Gundam to move a cow owns, it's not something most people can write a lot of words about!

The Cow Episode and Washing Machine episodes are very important because they're very much the embodiment of Tomino's vision of preservation of ecology. The robot interacts with nature and a more simplistic way of life in a very direct manner. There's a reason Turn A is set during a Second Industrial Revolution analogue.

Also it puts a cow in its chest.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Finished episode 2. Sometimes people cry, and sometimes people cry a lot. It doesn't instantly make them bad characters, emotion is important. Also that thing you do where you keep posting the characters names wrong isnt goofy or funny, just kind of annoying.

That said though pulling a tragic death scene out of dude who had like 5 lines and just showed up this episode was not a good idea. Almost no impact at all. :rip: kung fu zaku pilot.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

As I said before, the show is presenting a consistent troublesome tone, to the point where the context of those depictions is becoming secondary to the consistency.

Since people are not seeing this clearly, imagine a hypothetical show where the first episode features a pantomimed rape for laughs, followed by more and more rape jokes per episode and escalating to main characters being repeatedly raped on screen. Each of those incidents could be contextually logical but the consistency of that concept's depiction is itself troublesome.

In G-Reco, women are incompetent, cheerleaders, stage dancers for a room full of male politicians, or the main character's mother. They are also consistently crying, violently jealous, displaying fanservice, or just madly in love with one of the noble male characters.

People crying is not equitable to rape.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm glad that as a forum we've evolved from the Car Analogy to the much more lucrative Rape Analogy market, however.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

I brought it up because that hypothetical show aired a year ago and people still defended it.

I don't think the situations are really equitable though, somebody losing a robot fight and being sad and somebody being raped are entirely different orders of magnitude.

It's unfortunate as is but I have a hope that as the plot moves forward everybody will be given more agency.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Lukewarm is a good word for it honestly.

Also, is it me or is the soundtrack kind of... barely there?

It was doing this muted big dramatic swelling orchestra thing when they were like standing around in the classroom and I thought that was funny. I think the main action theme is alright, the one that plays at the finale of fights and when the G-Self starts moving. The sound design in general seems very understated, though I love the eyecatch noise for the Grimoire's, it sounds like the ray guns from War of the Worlds (1953).

Also I thought it was worth mentioning, even if it's an unintentional reference: Aida's name might just come from the play, Aida.

The Egyptians have captured and enslaved Aida, an Ethiopian princess. An Egyptian military commander, Radamès, struggles to choose between his love for her and his loyalty to the Pharaoh.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something I've taken from watching the second episode is that the Capital Guard/Army seem to have a Patlabor thing going on in that their mechs aren't military models, just repurposed civilian models with armor. Kinda makes sense why three Grimoires just stomped all over them. Also holy poo poo, that beam whip the Grimoire guns have :allears:.

You mean like the female classmate that matched Bellri's jumps perfectly across the boats and showed no signs of incompetency? Or the main character's mother in a position of leadership and portrayed as nothing but calm and professional?

That part's funny because she literally went 'GIRL POWER' before doing it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

I think my favourite part of both episodes is the ED.

Everyone's just so happy and goofy.

And the song is pure 80s cheese.

I like a lot of the background character animation, like Monday messing around with the pompoms while they talk about spacepope, and that girl who ran into the room too fast and bumped her head against the wall.

It's kinda crazy but the cast has so many women in it compared to earlier gundam, I hope when the obvious big plot change happens they'll be more prominent, especially since tomino mentioned already he wanted to make it a feminist show. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the early episodes.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

Yeah while some of the animation has been rough at spots, it really makes up for it with all the nice little details like that. It really goes well with how colorful the show is.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Tomino likes dropping into a story without much exposition and just letting it play out until you understand the world by the end. Personally I prefer that method, where the characters dont expound on things for the benefit of the audience, but when it would make sense for them to be discussing it internally.

This one is way more straightforward then like Gainer's first episode was though, Kuntala not withstanding.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Not having read anything beyond tomino interviews about the themes, barring hail mary twists, I really don't think the world in this show is all that obtuse:

The capital directly controls the space elevator, the capital is not the only nation on the planet and views rival nations with outright fear and hostility. Other nations seem to have a legitimate greivance against the capital, and there's some resource shortage at play, probably energy, maybe more. It seems to be aristocratic in nature, with an entrenched religious class that seems to share power with the other aspects of government. Probably tyrannical as hell. There seems to be some form of outright racism or classism or something with whatever Kuntala is, we'll find out at some point.

Bell is totally gonna become a space pirate, and the space pirates themselves are like a foreign funded and supplied insurgency group acting against the interests and well being of the capital.

That's about it, it's a way more gundam setup than honestly I was expecting.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

There's also the idea that the Capital Guard and Army are separate institutions, one civilian and very unprofessional, and it shares that concept with Turn A Gundam.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ultimate Hail Mary Conjecture: It's a direct prequel to Turn A and in the final scene the bunny ears slide down to become a mustache and the moonlight butterfly gets activated, smashcut to black.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Potsticker posted:

After watching the episodes, I guess the whole feminist angle was someone's idea of a joke because women are cheerleaders and boys are soldiers and the one deviant element from that has both her suit and agency stolen from her by the male protagonist and the plot.

Some of the mecha designs are really nice, though.

Or maybe the feminist angle is just something that becomes more prominent as the story develops.
I think it's dumb to write something off like that when We're not even 5% of the way into it, yet.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Snow Halation posted:

Did Tomino use the English word 'feminist'? Because the Japanese use that word to mean chivalrous.

If I remember correctly the interview was worded about how great/important/strong women are and can be.

Might be wrong though.

Its the simplest character arc to have an emotionally fragile character become stronger and more self assured, also.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 3, 2014

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

John Carstairs posted:

I heard about it in this very forum, but can't find the interview or whatever in question in Japanese.

From you, in fact! Did you set me up for disappointment, Sharkopath? :argh:

Tomino is giving me a cut of the bluray sales for all the guerilla marketing I do.

For real though I swear I read it somewhere, probably as an ann article paraphrasing it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Raku posted:

Tomino has been great with women in his last two shows (where he had tons of creative control). In fact you could argue that women are the most important characters in Turn A, his magnum opus. So I don't know why you'd be so quick to start complaining when there's such a small sample size thus far. Dianna wasn't even introduced at this point in Turn A.

There's a good argument to be made for Sochie as the actual main character of Turn A Gundam. Not physically, since Loran has way more screentime, but as the audience surrogate character and also the character with the strongest and most defined set of arcs.

Loran comes from the dang moon, Sochie has a much more relate-able background even though she's fairly well off.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

muike posted:

It is a part of the fine husband finding tradition.

A ton of the setting was explained in these 2 episodes, but almost all in single lines, and the pacing was very fast already.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Doflamingo posted:

Hi guys, this show's inspired art style caught my eye (really love the rough, 80's-esque outlines) and I was wondering if you think it's worth following based on what is available thus far. For reference the last Gundam I watched was 00 and found it to be merely 'ok', didn't bother with the second season.

Yes.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kanos posted:

There is no legal way to watch this in the US right now for some completely unknown reason despite being available for legal streaming in the UK and Australia.

Adults won't be able to understand G-Reco, and neither will Americans.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

Flying combat at not-high altitude, yes. A bit different from high altitude. Didn't seem like they were nearly as high as in that first episode.

She did a halo jump without oxygen in that first episode, yeah.

This episode ruled, mega pumped about this shows prospects.

Laughing at people who are still worried about the crying though, she teared up for half a second and snapped back to focus right away, haha.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

Fun fact: You guys have raised more poo poo about that than I have. Doubly hilarious because I was proven right in the first episode about them being a glaring flaw on the battlefield. (I also dropped it when it was proven that Bell could pilot perfectly fine while completely blind, which nulled my initial complaint)

. . .

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Man, and I got dogpilled for liking The Irregular At Magic High School. So far G-Reco has been a lot worse then that was at the same point.

lol

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Caros posted:

This would be pretty cool actually. That said, I doubt it. If they were going this route they probably would have made comment about the fact that the shield was all fixed up. I mostly chalk it up to animation error/lazy writing.

They mentioned it specifically twice, it is fixing itself up.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I really don't want to be mean but this isn't an incredibly dense or confusing world or story, almost everything has been explained or talked about before, its just not beating you over the head with it.

Like if you pay attention you can know everything about this show.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bellri: Is the robot fixing itself?

Aida: I think the robot might be fixing itself.

( Camera Pan over to the G-Self shield, which is fixed, and not broken, like it was before )

Bellri: The Shield looks fixed, almost as if the robot was fixing itself, like that other time before, when it fixed itself after being damaged.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

sunburnedcrow posted:

It isn't realistic or believable, but I kind of like how chill and laid back most characters are in the show. I love those animal scenes and hope Tomino gives me more of them. :v:

I like that in this episode they explained that both the capital guard and even the newer more militarized army are still super unprofessional and basically a peacetime volunteer force in effectiveness. If you take what is said at face value they have no real combat experience at all, drawing even more parallels with the military in Turn A.

The Capital isn't a regular UC armed force, they're a bunch of these dudes instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS6JB7eGqMU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Presumably that's also why they have a lot to fear from Amerian assertions of power, they only hold a position of independence and strength because they control the access to energy, not because they have any defensive or offensive power to back those claims up.

The Grimoire's are Amerian mobile suits, for instance, The Recten's are basically glorified workerbots and it's only recently that the guard has upgraded them to a hasty combat version, and I guess the Cait Sith's are the new army model.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

TARDISman posted:

My big question is whether beam weaponry is a thing, since the Grimoire, Recten and Cait Sith all seem to not use typical beam weapons, but at the same time they don't use shell based ammo. Only the G-Self seems to have beam weapons, at least as far as I can recall and my memory isn't the best on this subject.

The Grimoire's smg looking thing with the whipbayonet uses shells, it was a cool shot when they showed it off.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Ah yes making one of the female protagonists brain damaged and having her act very child like is perfectly normal because there's in universe logical reasons for how it came about.

The KKK in Birth of a Nation were just trying to protect people, I don't see what's so racist about it.

So far there hasn't been a single good analogy made in this thread, maybe it's time to stop trying.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's like a Car, except the Car is Pol Pot Hitler.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think she's an insult to all women but she is a pretty fuckin' awful character so far.

GimmickMan posted:

G-Reco is the Kill la Kill of Gundam.

Even as just 3 episodes I'd say its far better than the vast majority of gundam shows before it, Not as good as 0080 or Turn A, though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The dark secret about gundam is that gundam isn't actually very good, really.

Macross has way higher quality to content ratio, for example.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Cool dude, see ya.

Saw a picture of the model kit for the G-Self on Twitter. Looks preeeetty nice. Kinda tempting, though I haven't gotten to actually watching Reconguista at all yet :v:

You should watch it, it's pretty good.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

John Carstairs posted:

This much, at least, is very much explained in show. They're really just not very good at fighting at all:

One of them runs face first into a bunch of bamboo. It's...It's not exactly subtle.

It's very interesting to me how negative the visceral reaction to this show has been, to the point people ignore all the actual content to justify their own dislike.

It's weird. I understand not liking things because it's not in your taste, it seems ridiculous to make continued posts about something you hate though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Aida is a bad character because she cries sometimes, ignoring that she's a brash, independent-minded person with a strong sense of duty and righteousness,

People like to reduce the strength of writing for women characters for how good they are at blowing up the other robots, instead of the facets that actually generate well rounded characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think Tomino put a lot of thought and effort into this series, and it's all going to pay off well, hopefully. The format of his storytelling means that people are frustrated that not everything is handed to them right out of the gate though, and that's something I can empathize with, it's very much a show where you have to put the pieces together to get the big picture so far.

I'm just really surprised at how bad certain people seem to be at that.

• Locked thread