Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ninjewtsu posted:

So is there a way to watch this in the US yet?

Echoing this; is there any way to watch this in the US that doesn't involve :filez: or some other arcane internet shenanigans that I'm clueless about? As much as I'm enjoying watching Broken Loose go into hysterics about women crying and MS design decisions, I'd actually kind of like to see the episodes myself so I can have some context for this entire derail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Eiba posted:

That said, as fun as it is to come up for justifications for these things, a lot of it is just Tomino being Tomino.

Does he still insist on calling it New Yark?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Turns out "The Man Who Could Not Ride the Rainbow" was actually a colorful euphemism for Captain Bright's chronic constipation in his later years.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

MG Turn X's manual's "explanation" ends with them pointing out that the only way a gigantic singular timeline could be possible is if some of the shows straight up didn't happen, or didn't happen the way they were told. The last two sentences literally go "but you know, it really doesn't matter what the truth is, what people think is the truth is way more important."

I remember over a decade or so ago, Sunrise and Bandai's policy on what is considered canonical was:
  • Anything that's animated is canon, full stop.
  • Any other officialy released, non-animated material (novelizations, manga, video games, model manuals, etc.) are canon only so long as they are not explicitly contradicted by the animated material.
Which in turn leads to weird-rear end situations like both the endings for the Zeta TV series and the Zeta movie trilogy being officially canon, despite the fact that they're mutually exclusive.

Is that still the official stance from Sunrise/Bandai?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Caros posted:

So what the gently caress was Noredo shooting at with her slingshot on the ship? We see her taking a potshot at something offscreen and then wandering off to talk to Raraiya. The tone in this show is so weird because they go through all sorts of efforts to show really practical matters like the mobile suit mosquito nets or the vacuuming of the hanger bay, but then they have stupid poo poo like Noredo shooting her slingshot at nothing on the hanger deck because.... uh... wacky! Reasons! Excitement!

ImpAtom posted:

Noredo is frequently shown fidgeting and fooling around with her slingshot. It's just something she does. People fidget and move around and do things besides just stand still. It is what they do.

Caros posted:

I think you vastly underestimate the damage that can be caused by a rock fired from a slingshot. Doing so in zero gravity in a maintenance bay is just asking for someone to be injured or something to be damaged.

I don't think ImpAtom's underestimating it, I think it's just Noredo herself doesn't realize how dangerous/stupid that habit of hers is in a zero gravity environment. I mean, she's basically a civilian, isn't she? I haven't seen the series yet (not legally available in my country, plus computer issues), but as far as I'm aware, presumably the only other time she's ever been in space was when she and the other cheerleaders went up in the elevator back at the beginning of the series. It's entirely possible that she's unaware of how much damage she could cause by doing stuff like that in her current environment.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Caros posted:

Oh its entirely possible. The reason the scene stands out for me was that it was pointless. They cut to a shot of Noredo shooting her slingshot at something off screen, then she imediately puts it away and goes to talk to Raraiya. Its just a very odd scene that makes no sense in the context that it is offered. Frankly It'd be a good target for photoshop phriday "The gently caress is she shooting at edition."

From what I've gathered reading this thread, Noredo was basically Raraiya's babysitter when the latter was still brain damaged, right? Now that Raraiya's better, presumably Noredo doesn't have a lot to do anymore to keep her occupied since she's a non-combatant. Maybe she's just taking potshots at random poo poo because she doesn't have any way to make herself useful and she's bored out of her mind. It's a way of showing off the character's mood without having her just randomly walk up to someone and whine about being bored because she has nothing to do now that Raraiya's better.

Though this is just speculation on my part, since again, I haven't actually seen the show. v:shobon:v

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Mantic posted:

Well the Gundam.info youtube channel just put up the first episode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJZXfjjNOGk

Just got done watching that a little bit ago. Good stuff but I can now understand why people seem to have trouble keeping pace with this show because that just kinda flew by.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Srice posted:

I get the feeling he's his own worst critic.

Most artists usually are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

I don't think you know what a temper tantrum is. He's just unsatisfied with something he made, that's not a tantrum.

I was under the impression that V Gundam itself was the temper tantrum, not Tomino's later "Don't buy this, it's terrible," comments on it.

Mostly because it was my understanding that Tomino was pretty burned out on Gundam at that point, was in the middle of a nasty bout of depression, and was pretty sick of Sunrise and Bandai pestering him to make more Gundam for them to sell model kits of. So a lot of the more :stare: stuff that happened over the course of the series (like the gratuitously high body count) were basically his attempts to kill the franchise off.

• Locked thread