Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well it should be entertaining either way, and I home it turns out good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

So this sure is a Tomino show.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

It's old hat at this point but I always remain annoyed when supposed 'military' or law enforcement factions have some of the shittiest security I have ever seen.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

holy poo poo did they seriously just loving cut away for a fraction of a second to prevent the audience from hearing useful exposition???

I am going to laugh if it's actually because Tomino couldn't think of a good reason and just papered it over.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

One criticism will make now is that the Harobe is somehow even more of an affront to God and humanity than the normal Haros.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

Then again you're also saying that Crying Love Interest is a competent pilot when all she did was lose to first timers in unarmed grunts and then cry about it. I mean, if "good pilot" is the narrative we're going with now, seeing as the excuse last page was that nothing indicated her being a good pilot.

Well she was one beam saber swipe away from winning her debut fight and then the G-Self locked up, so the narrative obviously isn't trying to support the idea that she's a bad pilot.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I think my favourite part of both episodes is the ED.

Everyone's just so happy and goofy.

And the song is pure 80s cheese.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

NotChar's name is apparently just 'Mask.'

Tomino

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

No, they're not locked to earth. There's explicitly a colony of Venus, at the very least.

Also according to that random soldier dude, Bell told him that he 'did it' (by which I assume he meant pulling to trigger) to save Aida, so...

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Ethiser posted:

My largest :spergin: complaint is that mobile suits still need flight packs. They developed a mobile suit sized Minovsky drive for the V2 so all suits should have them by this point.

What if they stuck the Minovsky drive onto the flight pack instead of the mobile suit

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

Who gets whipped next is the real bet.

Bellri is already totally whipped.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Maybe Newtypes can now be identified via eyes.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anyone know when the next episode's supposed to air? I thought it was sometime earlier this evening (relative to Japan Time, that is).

About 2 hours 20 minutes if I have it right.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What's the actual air time for it, just out of curiosity?

2AM Japan time.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

There's already a Gundam series that's airing at a prime time timeslot, that's why.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Everyone in this show is so incredibly relaxed. I love it.

Also, we're apparently four for four on Aida tearing up. Maybe this is Tomino's idea of a running gag.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 10, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Given the info we have we can hazard a guess that there will be 2 named deaths, maaaaaayybe 3.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Don't you be hating on the Dragon mechs man. They were cool.

Except for the Zamdrag. That can screw right off.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I do wonder if the other nations are actually suffering from energy shortage or they're just mad that someone else has a monopoly on energy supplies.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

As for the accusations of sexism, I think Tomino is going for something deliberate. Capital society is depicted as a decadent and stagnant and sexist, with the old-world designs and deliberate technological anachronisms. But it is not irredeemable. Bellri and co are going on a journey to discover the world at large, and once they return they will change Capital for the better.

I don't think the Capital is portrayed as being particularly sexist. Bell's mom is the Operations Director, and based on the ED Manny's going to become a pilot a while down the line. Meanwhile there's apparently a guy in the cheerleader squad.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Kirara became a better character by basically being written out and replaced by a completely different character with the same design. (And in doing so they retroactively made her initial appearance way creepier but you just ignore it because it's never mentioned again.)

I won't mind if it happens to Monday, mind, since anything is better than GEEEEEEE.

While it may not have been handled particularly well, I would argue that her initial appearance is important to her overall characterization and arc. Her 'big' moment in yelling at Fellini for throwing away his dreams and goals in a moment of anger and her admonishment to keep trying 'if not today, then tomorrow; if not tomorrow, the day after tomorrow' works best in the context of her having tried to become famous via one method, failed, and then picking herself up and trying another, more successful method.

I just don't think they struck the right balance between her being unsympathetic and showing future potential in her initial appearance, and I'm pretty sure the writers knew it too, (Reiji's remarks on her is basically them waving their hands wildly and going 'Don't think that badly of her, guys!') but I could definitely see what they were going for.

More on G-Reco, I just realized that I still have no idea what this supposed 'pressure' is that the Montero was supposed to display.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Incidentally, why is there bamboo in the Amazon?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

NotALizardman posted:

Except that doesn't excuse bad fights. It only justifies things like "Genius" there flying into bamboo, it doesn't justify the horrendous Montero fight.

For the record it was one of the ground based Recksnows that crashed into bamboo, not the Montero.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

It is the year 2014 and there are Gundam fans who do not know about Ple.

Did not know about Ple.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

So is there an acceptable ratio of 'time on screen' to 'time spent shedding tears' so we can all be sure if Aida has crossed the line or not.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I don't actually have any issue with Aida crying; my initial comment was more being snarky about 'sometimes' and 'four out of four episodes' both being equally accurate descriptions of the frequency she does it.

That aside, I have to assume that if Tomino decided to show her crying at least once per episode, at least so far, then there is in fact something about it that he wishes to draw attention to, although I'm not sure what it is just yet.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I will say that the placement of episode 3's crying scene is weird even if the fact that she's crying isn't.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Gundam AGE is preeeeeeetty much the series' lowpoint in almost all regards (including treatment of women) so I don't think using that as a point of comparison is very valuable.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Condiv posted:

episode 3 has just about killed this show for me (eps 1 and 2 are terrible too). why the living gently caress did they let the prisoner steal the gundam

wtf is bellri's problem that he just sits by while a prisoner kidnaps him and steals the gundam

It's almost as if *gasp!* the head of Research was letting her go on purpose! The horror!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

It wish more of the episode was spent with the characters talking to each other in a more relaxed setting so I can get more of a feel for their personalities bouncing off each other instead of mecha fights. To be honest it's not like the fights have been very good.

Also the G-Self's beam saber is presumably supposed to be way more powerful or something than what the Capital Army has but they didn't do a good job of showing it, I think.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I've seen it mentioned over the internet in various places that episode 4 revived some people's flagging interest in the show and I'm honestly curious as to why. It's got pretty much the same writing style (AKA Tomino as gently caress) as the first 3 eps, and the new revelations this episode about potential and current conflicts are neat factoids but not really what you need to get invested in the setting and characters.

I thought that if you enjoyed the first three episodes you'd like this one too and that if you didn't like how things went earlier you'd think it was more of the same.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

It must feel kinda bad to have the girl you have a crush on not recognize you the instant you put on a mask that covers half your face.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Basically everyone else pales next to Klim Nick.

Well, Happa and Mask were kinda cool this episode too.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Red Bones posted:

Was the masked man Bellri's old capital guard instructor, or his friend with blue hair? They've got the same blue haircut and it throws me all the time.

Dellensen's hair is purple.

Speaking of which, a preemptive RIP for the dude. He's too cool to live.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

They also repainted it in forest camo, I guess to better hide amongst all the dense foliage in space.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

As long as we're on the subject, if Aida is supposed to be this princess that the rest of the crew feel compelled to keep out of harm's way, why on earth was she not only involved in a mission to steal photon batteries, but also piloting a mobile suit whose capabilities they definitely did not understand very well? (Given they had captured it like 1 week ago.)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

My issue is less with them thinking it would be an easy and/or routine operation and more to do with them deciding that she should pilot the unknown new machine to do it.

Sure it's powerful but based on everything we've seen so far their standard mechs could still thrash the Crown's guards with ease so it seems like a needless risk.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Razzled posted:

Is it just me or does Bellri seem to have issues accepting responsibility for the people he kills?

Dude is a naive, sheltered prodigy who probably has had everything in his life go the way he expected it to until... what, a week ago? A couple days?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Wouldn't it be more efficient to just cut your hair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

So Bellri's reactions bring the number of characters in the show who have reached the emotional threshold beyond 'mildly annoyed' to... 3? Maybe 4.

• Locked thread