Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I watched the first two episodes while really tired and slightly intoxicated. I think that's probably intended viewing state for the watcher.

But holy poo poo, built-in toilets. This series is my top Gundam series now.

...I couldn't find a gif/short animation of the scene by googling. Anyone have one of the scene?

Is it weird that I thought the depiction of the guy drinking a bottle of water and taking a dump as kind of realistic depiction for this show being a Gundam show? Why is this world weird and in some ways regressed in technology? (rotator phones, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Hey, thanks, this is a good post.

The rotary phones still bug me though because they're just so utterly user unfriendly. I mean, same kind of "analog" technology would be attainable with actual digital keys, right? But yeah, it wouldn't be so apparent that the technology is "scaled back" if they are indeed old-fashioned for the sake of "minovsky particles". And I suppose a good amount of why they are rotary phones is establishing the setting and the tone of the world.

I mean, bipedal vehicles too are kind of unintuitive, but at least they're animated and presented in a manner that makes them actually superbly useful in this setting.
edit: I forgot that mechas too are bipedal robots. :cripes: I meant the small ones used for traveling.

That's what I was basically saying in a wordy manner.
v

Dessel fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 15, 2014

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Is it just me or is this show really confusing? :psyduck: I mean, I get what's happening, but it constantly feels like everything is at most implied and the motivations of characters/events are kind of, err, psychotic, including the protagonist's. Like, in average Gundam show the president's son/someone would be way more antagonistic towards Bellri, but no, everyone is warming up to him. The battle in this episode was also really confusing. The entire political situation of the world is confusing. gently caress, I'm still confused where the G-Self came from, and as far as I understand we have no idea who made it.

This show leaves so many unknowns it feels like I'm constantly watching it in a drunken half-stupor.

..And yes, I am actually paying attention and I usually don't have this issue with TV shows, I often get foreshadowing pretty early, etc. I'm not saying it's bad either. Watching this show is a weird, disjointed eperience in a kind of a refreshing way, I suppose?

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

There are three factions:

The most important of these are the Capital, who are the ones with access to Photon Batteries and who control the balance of power in the world. They are supposed to maintain the balance of power in the world and enforce the Taboo, which prevents the development of complex weaponry. The Captain Guard is supposed to enforce this but for reasons we're still discovering they've created the Capital Army who is violating the taboo and becoming an aggressive force in the world.

The other nations in the world are at war but limited by what they can do. The pirates we encounter are from Ameria and acting as pirates to avoid sanctions from the Capital for stealing power supplies.

The G-Self and Raraiya are found floating in orbit. Ameria''s pirates recovered the G-Self, Raraiya was recovered by the captial. Ameria is making backpacks for it using Taboo technology.

The G-Self, for reasons as of yet unknown, can only be piloted by someone with a "Rayhunton Code." This so far is Bellri, Aida and Raraiya.

That is basically everything we need to know so far and it isn't overly complex.

Yeah, I've understood all of this at least on some level. The backpacks are those mecha transporters or whatever? The naming is a bit confusing. It isn't the overall plot that I have issues with, it's in the details. Nothing feels quite as "solid" because the series doesn't overtly explain everything. It's difficult to put in words.

edit: I guess your average anime/series is really much heavier on exposition and character stereotypes, I suppose.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I would like to say that the Space Garanden is so sexy :allears:

I'm not sure if I prefer the rear

or the front

or the side profile the best

:fap:

I must be one of those warship lovers.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I can't even tell who the bad guy(s) are supposed to be. Not a single character seems to strike me as completely evil without any redeeming qualities. This show keeps being utterly confusing in a refreshingly good way. And no I don't multitask during the show.

That violet ship looked almost positively alien to me.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

After the final episode I feel like I've constantly been in a drunken stupor even though I've always focused watching the episodes. I haven't seen a show in my life which experienced so bad effects due to bad pacing. A lot of the character actions still don't make any reasonable sense. No one felt like a human

It was fairly well crafted show regardless and delivered entertainment. Character motivations and pacing were so off though that it felt absolutely ridiculous. Real ADHD material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

edit: wrong thread

• Locked thread