Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm excited for the last episode. Will Reconguista in G turn out to be the best Gundam series since Turn A, or the best Gundam series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Caros posted:

Neither because Build Fighters is a thing that exists.

I know Build Fighters exists

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sharkopath posted:

I enjoyed BF but my best friend didn't, looking back I think it was a lot of boring nothing punctuated by cool stuff happening occasionally, but sometimes the cool stuff was really cool.

Yeah, people remember the Zaku Amazing vs. Build Strike fight, but not the five episodes that came before that. It's definitely not bad, but there's not much to it. It's the Pirate's Booty of anime.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sharkopath posted:

You should watch all the Macross instead, but I wish you luck in your journey, fair traveler.

There's a lot less of Macross, it's not as much of an accomplishment.

edit: and the existence of stuff like Green Divers and Gundam UC One of Seventy Two means that for most american Gundam fans, it's actually impossible to watch all Gundam. We can only approach perfect Gundam Knowledge, but never attain it.

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 27, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

tsob posted:

And the nuclear bomb in the G-self thing went nowhere as well. What was the point of including it at all?

Th G-Self has an insane amount of destructive potential that Bellri reined in. It's like the Photon Torpedoes. He used them once on a low power level, saw how horrifying they were, and never used them again.

The G-Self could've destroyed loving everything, but Bellri always managed that power and never let it get out of control.

Pimpmust posted:

Violet haired Venus-girl baby? Where did that come from? Obviously time-skip, but I must have missed something

It was probably Kia Mbeki's.

Pimpmust posted:

Banana Pear seemingly ejected in her last fight and then... nothing?

She was caught by the explosion and died.

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 28, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Someone on 4chan made an excellent point about Mask and Bellri's relationship

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I want an OVA about one of those Ameria/Gondwan skirmishes. Fights between Grimoires and whatever the Gondwan mass Production MS is. I imagine they shoot at each other a couple times and then decide to just have a soccer match in their mobile suits and then the officers hear about it and yell at everyone to stop playing around.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
It was actually really good.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Reconguista was better than Build Fighters.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Build Fighters Try is a pretty low bar to surpass.

No I meant the first season.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
It reminds me a lot of the move Primer. It just throws you in to the middle of a story, keeps exposition to a minimum, and demands you pay attention because the first time you watch it you don't know what lines of dialogue are just dialogue and what lines are super important to understanding the plot and characters.

Plus they're both sci-fi stories about characters suddenly getting crazy machines they don't understand with insane power and how they react to that.

edit: and they both have great music.

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 31, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm watching Overman King Gainer, and I really wish you assholes hadn't been all, "oh I hope Kia Mbeki and Kun Soon turn out to be alive at the end just like those characters from Overman King Gainer who apparently die early on but you find out at the end they didn't!"

That would've been a nice surprise!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Midjack posted:

Oh no, spoilers from a 13-year-old show!

I haven't watched all the animes from the past 13 years. I try, but occasionally I do need to take breaks to sleep or to have my bedpan changed and to be turned so I don't get bedsores.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Raxivace posted:

Hey guess what you just spoiled me about.

Oh come on, don't read the last page of a tv series that just ended if you want to avoid spoilers about that show.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sakurazuka posted:

There's a statute of limitations on spoilers unless you think we need to talk about every show that ever aired using spoiler tags?

Yes.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sakurazuka posted:

lol good luck with that

At the very least spoiler tag stuff from the actual last episode of show. People in the chat thread were talking about Gunbuster, but nobody said any explicit stuff about the last episode of Gunbuster, cause others had said they hadn't seen the show.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sharkopath posted:

you should really try reading up the synopsis of the next big thing you watch because what actually happens when you know what is supposed to happen next is you focus on the smaller details that are overlooked more often than not, especially for classics that deserve that level of attention.

It's a fun way to do things.

You could also just watch things twice.

Sharkopath posted:

Yeah he was a minor antagonist to begin with so you just assume he died or went somewhere else, he absence isn't really noticed and doesn't impact the story in any way and neither does his reapparance.

The operative word in spoil is what bugs me the most, it's the idea that the knowledge of parts of a story suddenly absolutely ruins the whole product, and a mystical perfect virginal experience is lost to the viewer forever.

You assume he died, because the scene is set up to make you think he died. And being told that he doesn't die does actually spoil the surprise that he doesn't Of course it doesn't spoil the entire show, but it does spoil what is clearly just supposed to be a nice little bonus at the end. Surprise and emotions can enhance the viewing experience of a series.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sharkopath posted:

You are all going into the safe, there is no longer a chance of escape.

Post a quick summary of the last episode of Gunbuster in the chat thread. People in there have said they plan to watch the show, finding out what happens at the end before they watch it should enhance their viewing experience, right?

You aren't actually going to do that, because even if you do believe that knowing what's going to happens always makes watching a show better, you also know that other people disagree, and you respect other people's emotions. You're just talking big for humor on the internet.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Here's a spoiler Reconguista in G was loving garbage and the only people who are defending it are doing contortions that you usually see in Chinese acrobatic troops' acts.

No really, it was a bad show. I have no idea how anyone is still talking about this show as anything other than a call for Tomino to please just go away.

It's actually really good

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I've yet to see how that absolute mess that barely had any explanation, exposition, or resolution can be considered a good show. You even have one of the most interesting struggles (former class of people used as loving FOOD wanting to fight for their rights, honor, etc) come down to "oh well, never mind". None of the characters had any more depth than Tomino just visiting old tropes of his past shows just to throw on the screen. Vague ideas and fan service don't make a quality show.

It actually had plenty of explanation, exposition, and resolution. And some of the best characterization I've seen in an anime.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
G-Lucifer, Armorzagan, and Gaitrash

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

DamnGlitch posted:

I honestly wish there were about... 1/10th the amount of mobile suit designs in GReco. There are some neat ones, but it was nearly G Gundam levels of unique suits. It didn't make any sense from the stand point of these nations emerging from a technology ban. Especially since they literally were throwing poo poo together from blueprints with no idea how it worked.

That's why it makes sense. They had no idea what was going to work, so they tried everything.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Eureka 7 was weird, cause the first episode there's all this stuff about surfing and the Kickback Drop Turn being this amazing surfing move, and there's this whole crew of badass surfing pirates that are idealized by surfers all over the world. Then Renton does a Kickback Drop Turn in the second episode and you basically never hear about surfing again.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Like, there's the episode where Renton suggests they enter a surfing competition to raise some money, and Mathieu says "we never surf for money"

And I'm like, motherfucker, you assholes never surf at all!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sakurazuka posted:

they're too busy sticking it to the man

Oh wow, the new issue of that magazine that's just pictures of Talho in the one outfit she owns and weird articles about how earthquakes are caused by coral from space that murders people because it doens't know ho to ask to be friends it out! What a great subculture this is.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Pootybutt posted:

I've seen like one ep of Gainer and al of E7 and would sooner recommend the former any day.

Still has annoying kids, but what can ya do?

How can you not love Princess Ana?
"We're taking you hostage"
"yay, Adventure!"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I don't really get why people complain about the plot of Eureka Seven or how it was handled or told or whatever. The plot was by far the least interesting part of Eureka Seven. The characters, the love story, the cool robot fights, and the song were what makes the show.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Darth Walrus posted:

You know, I initially didn't like the Wuxia for failing to fit in with the other Capital Army designs, but after looking at the mass-produced Mack Knives and Elf Bullocks, the continuity is much more obvious. They're basically sleeker MP Macks with Bullocks' forearm-guns and oversized feet for ground combat.

Love the comments on that article.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

DamnGlitch posted:

For a guy that throws anti-toy company tantrums, Tomino sure did put a poo poo load of unique designs into this loving thing.

What tantrums has he thrown? And the buzz was that he just really liked the mech designs.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Ryas posted:

Victory Gundam was largely a temper tantrum, and that's the reason why he has nothing good to say about it, even now that Victory is getting a BD release.

Are there any details, or is this part of the internet anime oral tradition?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

Go check the website for the Blu-Ray. He literally posts what amounts to "This is really bad and you shouldn't buy it. If you watch it, at least try to see why it sucks."

How is that an anti-toy company temper tantrum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The GIG posted:

It's not really, it's just a general case temper tantrum.

I don't think you know what a temper tantrum is. He's just unsatisfied with something he made, that's not a tantrum.

• Locked thread