Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
He was afraid of getting cooties from Fumina obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zedd posted:

He got beat by Sazaki and swore off fighting forever :v: ?

I assume you mean Sazaki's sister here.

Edit: If they're going the "Everybody ends up with somebody else" route again, then she seems the most likely pairing for him given Fumina and Sekai already seems to be the pairing there.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 8, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

Fumina needs to make Seikai watch G Gundam so he'll do the Shining Finger. Also, he totally needs like, the G Gundam's wings on his back.
The problem with that plan is that I can see Sekai actually trying to punt a skyscraper.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm also really interested in finding out why China's little brother turned into such a jerkass.

He probably got beat up by Sei so many times in practice that he just lost interest and gave up.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Irisize posted:

He probably got beat up by Sei so many times in practice that he just lost interest and gave up.

Living in the shadows of your sister's boyfriend would be a pretty cool demotivating factor considering he's the cool headed pretty boy type. Specially when your sister's boyfriend is an awkward gundam nut.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

That was wonderful. They even had the crazy-rear end tank from Igloo show up as a poster.

Also the fact that the crazy kung-fu dude just gets arrested was great.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
That was a fun episode.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
One of my favorite things about this show is how each weapon sounds accurate to the show it came from.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I don't want to derail this thread into some stupid gender stereotypes diatribe like a certain someone did in the G-Recko thread, but I like Fumina and she appears to be a pretty cool character and may be the closest thing we're gonna have to a female Gundam lead character. Well, since Turn A that is, but Diana and Kihel didn't actually pilot anything even though they're arguably more important than Loran. I think it would be cool to have a Gundam show starring a girl just to change things up a bit. Never gonna happen because they're made to sell toys to boys, but hey.

Please don't start yelling.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I really dig that the first thing she did was kick a bunch of rear end and only lose when she was completely outnumbered by top tier badasses. She outperformed the rest of the Axis Invasion team by far and maybe if she had her real teammates things would have gone differently.

I also dig how many suits got completely dismembered in this show. It looks like they got a higher animation budget and they're taking more advantage of the brutality of the toy fights.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Build Fighters with more G Gundam is everything I wanted from this show. I was a bit worried about the Sunrise Second Season Syndrome and have no words to describe how pleasantly surprised I am to be wrong.

Also Fumina owns.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I will say that Build Fighters does a drat good job of, well, doing its job: finishing build fighters and now starting Try is really making me want to build gunpla again, despite the fact I have plenty of other expensive hobbies. I still miss all my old models that were stolen about 5 years ago.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
The thing that makes me hopeful about Fumina is that she went "Somebody please fight with me" when I really thought it was going to be "Somebody please save me" when she was about to lose in the opening battle.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Yeah, Fumina's issue right now is more people that either aren't willing to keep up, or people that can't. For the former, she has Yuuma and Miyaga, who also kinda wants to convince her to join his club instead. For the latter, her entire raid team at the start of the episode, and Sekai starts out as the answer to that issue - someone who's willing and, to people's surprise, has skill as well because martial arts.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

chumbler posted:

Edit: If they're going the "Everybody ends up with somebody else" route again, then she seems the most likely pairing for him given Fumina and Sekai already seems to be the pairing there.

I'm...actually kind of okay with this.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm...actually kind of okay with this.

I am too, they're pretty funny together, not quite as dopey and adorable as Sei and China, but there's plenty of time for that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Not a bad first episode but it's really unfortunate that Fumina is already clearly doomed to do nothing of worth. She gets one okay fight at the start and then is wrecked and proceeds to spend the entire rest of the episode losing humiliatingly, including getting effortlessly wrecked by a guy who isn't even in the battle club. Next episode is also clearly going to be the Boys Fighting again which means she's once again not going to do anything.

Broken Loose posted:

I really dig that the first thing she did was kick a bunch of rear end and only lose when she was completely outnumbered by top tier badasses.

No she didn't. According to the episode her team hasn't ever gotten past the first round. There's no reason to buy anyone there was a top-tier badass.

Edit: I also admit that it's extra disappointing because this would be pretty great if it was just Mecha-Chihayafuru instead, but BF isn't willing to make Fumina a character like Chihaya.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 8, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

Not a bad first episode but it's really unfortunate that Fumina is already clearly doomed to do nothing of worth. She gets one okay fight at the start and then is wrecked and proceeds to spend the entire rest of the episode losing humiliatingly, including getting effortlessly wrecked by a guy who isn't even in the battle club. Next episode is also clearly going to be the Boys Fighting again which means she's once again not going to do anything.

No she didn't. According to the episode her team hasn't ever gotten past the first round. There's no reason to buy anyone there was a top-tier badass.

Edit: I also admit that it's extra disappointing because this would be pretty great if it was just Mecha-Chihayafuru instead, but BF isn't willing to make Fumina a character like Chihaya.

I actually inwardly winced every time I heard Fumina say "Sekai-kun!" because I got flashbacks. Thankfully, unlike China, Fumina at least seems to have a personality, but she was definitely this episode's whipping girl. Getting chumped like it's nothing by creepy nerd who doesn't even care about fighting and getting saved by total brand newbie is pretty grim. I would have liked to see her beat the poo poo out of Mantis dude and then get blown out by Yuuma just so she could actually succeed at something.

Aside from that episode ruled super hard though.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

She was basically solo vs like 20 people and her only regret was not having people there fighting with her.

Honestly out of all the main characters in the show, Fumina is the most likely to develop into being much stronger than she is right now because Sekai and Fuuma are both geniuses. The episode wasn't really meant to showcase her or her potential growth. Its just there to introduce her dilemma and the rest of the characters. Second episode will be to go in depth with red and blue oni and then the third will probably be their first big trio fight.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Manganac and a Death Army are the two closest to the camera, I think. The one in the back has a Shot Lancer so maybe it's absolutely a Den'an Zon.

Edit: Trying to judge a series' themes before we've even reached a third episode is silly.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 9, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

She was basically solo vs like 20 people and her only regret was not having people there fighting with her.

That was her daydreaming, which is even sadder because she ultimately loses even in her daydream.

I'm still holding out hope that she'll be good, though, especially since she's actually an entertaining character.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ImpAtom posted:

Not a bad first episode but it's really unfortunate that Fumina is already clearly doomed to do nothing of worth.

Hey, remember how the G-Reco thread turned to poo poo for a few pages when some goon declared it was terrible that the female lead does nothing but fail and cry when all he had to go on was two episodes and an episode preview? Remember how much that sucked? Can we maybe not jump to conclusions like that here, and give the writers the benefit of the doubt that Fumina's not just going to wind up as China 2.0?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Hey, remember how the G-Reco thread turned to poo poo for a few pages when some goon declared it was terrible that the female lead does nothing but fail and cry when all he had to go on was two episodes and an episode preview? Remember how much that sucked? Can we maybe not jump to conclusions like that here, and give the writers the benefit of the doubt that Fumina's not just going to wind up as China 2.0?

Build Fighters had literally an entire series before this and nothing here suggests they're bucking the trend. I said it wasn't a bad episode but that doesn't mean I have a lot of faith in them handling this one particular aspect well and the first episode kinda lived up to my expectations in that regard.

At no point did I go on a rant about how the show is misogynistic or whatever. v:shobon:v

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Build Fighters had literally an entire series before this and nothing here suggests they're bucking the trend.

At the same time Tomino has an entire body of work behind him that has a negative trend when it comes to women. I think it's perfectly fair to judge both Build Fighters and G-Reco on that metric.

Edit: Not targeted at you really Imp, just in reply to the general topic.

I guess I should post something about the show specifically though? I've been watching the scene where Build Burning appears throughout the day and holy poo poo it never fails to make me :vince:.

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 9, 2014

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k
Allow me to be the brave person who's optimistic that Fumina will succeed where season 1's females failed. I think she has a good start to her character arc, and I think she will murder everything in an adorably broken sd gunpla. I'm looking forward to all of this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NotALizardman posted:

At the same time Tomino has an entire body of work behind him that has a negative trend when it comes to women. I think it's perfectly fair to judge both Build Fighters and G-Reco on that metric.

Edit: Not targeted at you really Imp, just in reply to the general topic.

Tomino had both positive and negative trends. His body of work contains both good female character, bad female characters and extremely Tomino female characters.

Build Fighters really doesn't get that benefit of the doubt because it's really had a very easy to point to and obvious trend where it can have good female characters but not good female characters who are allowed to do things not boyfriend-related. (And Fumina is set up with Boyfriend Elements for both of her teammates this episode.)

I will note that I don't think Fumina is going to be China 2.0 I think she's going to be Aila 2.0, which is also why I have so little faith that they'll make the character work.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 9, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

There is no way she can be Aila 2.0 because Fumina hasn't really been shown to completely chump world level players in 3 seconds. If anything she'll be the shows Sei, good but not perfect that actually improves as the show goes on. Except she'll be more visible because she'll constantly be fighting whereas Sei suddenly just got good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

There is no way she can be Aila 2.0 because Fumina hasn't really been shown to completely chump world level players in 3 seconds. If anything she'll be the shows Sei, good but not perfect that actually improves as the show goes on. Except she'll be more visible because she'll constantly be fighting whereas Sei suddenly just got good.

I mean Aila 2.0 in terms of being someone who both enjoys battle and really wants to be good at it who none the less is never really allowed to shine against actual named opponents. (And I doubt Fumina will have invisible funnels and a berserker system to make up for that.)

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, Fumina is clearly doomed to do nothing of worth based on one episode where she wrecks the poo poo out of a bunch of people in the opening and then loses once after saving the ostensible lead character from being destroyed.

Please overlook the fact that Fumina is otherwise shown to be an incredibly positive female character throughout the episode. Ignore the fact that she stubbornly keeps the Gunpla Battle Club open despite outside forces endeavoring to shut it down. Ignore the fact that she actively works towards achieving her goals, such as by literally pushing Sekai into getting involved in Gunpla Battle. Nope, all you need to know is that she apparently has an okay fight at the start and then proceeds to lose humiliatingly.

It is loving mind boggling to me that you are one of the guys that defended the utter shittiness of female character interaction in the first two episodes of G-Reco while at the same time stating without right certainly the Fumina is clearly doomed to nothing of worth based on the fact that she lost in the opening episode.

Good news, Sei was clearly doomed to do nothing of worth in Build Fighters because he got loving WRECKED in back to back fights in Build Fighters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Yes, Fumina is clearly doomed to do nothing of worth based on one episode where she wrecks the poo poo out of a bunch of people in the opening

That was a fantasy sequence.

Caros posted:

loses once after saving the ostensible lead character from being destroyed.

She blocks a single beam saber slash before she is effortlessly wrecked, followed by the lead character winning the fight literally barehanded.

Also we see later that the main character had another robot inside so he probably would have been fine.

Caros posted:

Please overlook the fact that Fumina is otherwise shown to be an incredibly positive female character throughout the episode. Ignore the fact that she stubbornly keeps the Gunpla Battle Club open despite outside forces endeavoring to shut it down. Ignore the fact that she actively works towards achieving her goals, such as by literally pushing Sekai into getting involved in Gunpla Battle. Nope, all you need to know is that she apparently has an okay fight at the start and then proceeds to lose humiliatingly.

You remember when I mentioned Chihayafuru above? The main character of that, Chihaya, literally does everything you mentioned while also being a talented and skilled player. Why should I bet impressed by a female lead who is like her but playing second fiddle to two male leads?

I don't think Fumina is a bad character. I think she's likable and fun. That is why I'm frustrated that she's seemingly following the exact same route as the other BF female characters.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 9, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

W.T. Fits posted:

ImpAtom isn't a literal crazy person like Broken Loose and he's not making rape analogies and suggestions that the show is going to be a disgusting misogynist nightmare. He's expressing disappointment that he feels that the character is going to be a retread of the previous season's female characters. Build Fighters has a tradition of female characters that are immensely likeable characters that tend not to accomplish much outside the framework of their designated boyfriend character and Fumina's introductory episode suggests they're not exactly bucking the trend. This read could be incredibly wrong, but it's the read ImpAtom is making.

For what it's worth Fumina is already extremely endearing and entertaining and I have high hopes for the character once she gets her actual gunpla. It's supposed to be a team battle show, after all.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Wait, why do with think the opening battle was a fantasy sequence?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Wait, why do with think the opening battle was a fantasy sequence?

It was a battle royale but they say in the episode her previous teams never got past the first round and that she needs three people to even compete, but she is the only member.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 9, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It was a battle royale but they say in the episode her team never got past the first round and that she needs three people to even compete, but she is the only member.

I had figured it as some publicly open event.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Yeah, I just assumed there were other events going on besides the big tournament we saw last season. :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ImpAtom posted:

At no point did I go on a rant about how the show is misogynistic or whatever. v:shobon:v

You still just basically dismissed Fumina as having any worth as a character based on a single episode and a preview. The thing is, Fumina's not just the female lead; she's the protagonist. The narrative is following her inner monologue, not Sekai's. She's the first of the main characters we see on screen, and she's the one who has an actual goal (compete in a Gunpla tournament) and an obstacle (no teammates). If she really is being set up to do nothing but sit back and fail while Sekai and Yuuma get all the glory, why is the narrative even bothering to establish all this? Why isn't it focusing on Sekai's thoughts and goals?

It's like Mr. Ral says, Sekai is the new Reiji, and Build Fighters wasn't about Reiji; it was about Sei. Sei wanted to compete in Gunpla Battle, Sei wanted to be the very best like no one ever was; Reiji was just tagging along for the ride.

Fumina isn't the new China or the new Aila; she's the new Sei.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
The gm cardigan was still missing all the stuff that got destroyed in the fight, she was still rebuilding it and it wasn't a fantasy sequence. There USED to be more members in the battle club but they all left.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It was a battle royale but they say in the episode her team never got past the first round and that she needs three people to even compete, but she is the only member.

There's no indication it's the tournament except that there are a lot of people. There aren't even any tribunes. It could be a future sequence, as Fumina narrates at the end of the episode how they all met that day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

I had figured it for some publicly open event.

That's not impossible but then it doesn't say much for her skills.

Also 'she wrecks a bunch of people' is kind of disingenuous because all we see her do is beat one opponent. People are taking the explosion to mean 'she destroyed the opponents" but it is actually the missile that missed her exploding. We see her flying into open space, the explosion blocks it and the next shot she is flying into space and gets wrecked.

W.T. Fits posted:

Fumina's not just the female lead; she's the protagonist.

No she isn't. The narrator isn't the protagonist, unless you're arguing that Watson is the protagonist.

W.T. Fits posted:

If she really is being set up to do nothing but sit back and fail while Sekai and Yuuma get all the glory, why is the narrative even bothering to establish all this?

Because that way we can feel that she succeeds when Sekai and Yuuma win.

I don't think the writers are actively going 'hate women, grr!" They obviously want us to want her to succeed, it is just that 'success' is 'have the male characters help her." Which is the same problem that BF had. BF had really fun female characters, just not ones who they felt fighting was anything meaningful to, even the characters primarily motivated by fighting.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You remember when I mentioned Chihayafuru above? The main character of that, Chihaya, literally does everything you mentioned while also being a talented and skilled player. Why should I bet impressed by a female lead who is like her but playing second fiddle to two male leads?

Chihaya is a genius. She's biologically superior when compared to the vast majority of the people she plays against. She's the heart, soul and muscle of the karuta club. Basically a one man army.

If you took her and put her in place of Fumina she would have wiped the floor with the president. Having the senses to know exactly what he was going to do before the gunpla even reacted because she heard him switching weapons from her terminal. She'd be Aila essentially. Except of course with actual determination from the start to become stronger at something she loves vs not even wanting to do it but having to because she needs to eat.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 9, 2014

• Locked thread