Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

I love the look of the OZ suits. Too bad they're a complete joke in fiction. Then again I just tend to like grunt suits better period.

The funny thing is, from a purely technical standpoint the Leo could probably chump a lot of the OYW/other AU grunts. The problem lies in the fact that the setting's Gundams outclass everything by a disgusting margin. Wing Zero and Epyon in particular are basically untouchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

This show makes me want a mg of the build burning and the lighting even though I have like 5 mg's I still have to do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

The funny thing is, from a purely technical standpoint the Leo could probably chump a lot of the OYW/other AU grunts. The problem lies in the fact that the setting's Gundams outclass everything by a disgusting margin. Wing Zero and Epyon in particular are basically untouchable.

I'm pretty sure someone has ran the numbers and found that a Leo would basically be a protagonist-grade machine in any other Gundam show aside from maybe 00.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

everythingWasBees posted:

I have all mine boxed up until the move. :(
I do really need more space, though, and also some sandpaper...

For me it's because the tools I need are in mail limbo. The kit arrived before the paints and stuff. :(

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure someone has ran the numbers and found that a Leo would basically be a protagonist-grade machine in any other Gundam show aside from maybe 00.

It's sort of telling when the prototype of the Leo had a tendency to turn its test pilots' organs into meat slurry through excessive G-forces. :v:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Edit: You know what, gently caress it. ImpAtom on ignore list and now I don't have to listen to him be an idiot. The system works.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bloody Pom posted:

It's sort of telling when the prototype of the Leo had a tendency to turn its test pilots' organs into meat slurry through excessive G-forces. :v:

Those test pilots just weren't grunting and pulsing their muscles or whatever it is you do to deal with G forces hard enough. Though I think it says something for OZ pilots that when not in space they'll pilot in practically dress uniforms :black101:.

Also Leos don't have basically 4 Saturn V rockets strapped to their backs and cutely called "verniers". God I love the Tallgeese.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

Those test pilots just weren't grunting and pulsing their muscles or whatever it is you do to deal with G forces hard enough. Though I think it says something for OZ pilots that when not in space they'll pilot in practically dress uniforms :black101:.

Also Leos don't have basically 4 Saturn V rockets strapped to their backs and cutely called "verniers". God I love the Tallgeese.

I hope we get a custom Tallgeese this season. I mean we had one last season but it didn't last long. :smith:

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

ImpAtom posted:

I hope we get a custom Tallgeese this season. I mean we had one last season but it didn't last long. :smith:

:raise: Apparently not. I don't even remember the drat thing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I know, it got chumped so badly due to glorious nippon bullshit :smith:. Though I guess I can't hate too much, since I do like Nils for being a black character in an anime who is not some awful caricature.

John Carstairs posted:

How could you forget the most :911: (in spirit) gunpla, which was piloted by Batou to boot? You are a monster.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

John Carstairs posted:

It was the thing Nils fought in his debut.

chumbler posted:

I know, it got chumped so badly due to glorious nippon bullshit :smith:. Though I guess I can't hate too much, since I do like Nils for being a black character in an anime who is not some awful caricature.

I honestly thought Nils was hilarious. He was so much of a straight man it wrapped back around to being comedy.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Caros posted:

Edit: You know what, gently caress it. ImpAtom on ignore list and now I don't have to listen to him be an idiot. The system works.

Unfortunately ignoring someone doesn't stop others from quoting them.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Sadly not, but nothing is perfect.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It's also hilariously petty, but enough about people being huge babies in a thread about plastic robots beating the Future out of one another.

I would day one buy an MG Build Burning Gundam. Imagine all the crazy martial arts poses you could pull with MG articulation and Emotion Manipulators. :flashfap:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It was the thing Nils fought in his debut.

I honestly thought Nils was hilarious. He was so much of a straight man it wrapped back around to being comedy.

The fact that the straight man was an American boy-genius samurai says a lot about the series.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chumbler posted:

Nils was an awful caricature of a weeaboo nerd and it ruled.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

It's also hilariously petty, but enough about people being huge babies in a thread about plastic robots beating the Future out of one another.

I would day one buy an MG Build Burning Gundam. Imagine all the crazy martial arts poses you could pull with MG articulation and Emotion Manipulators. :flashfap:

Eh, if someone wants to put me on ignore because I didn't like an anime enough, I can't give a drat.

The mentioned of an MG Build Burning actually made me wonder what they're going to do for its upgrade unit. I assume he's going to build his own Gunpla after learning about the joy of Gunpla Buildings because they want to sell more toys, but it'd be kind of hard to imagine him out building a Sei Iori super-custom. Maybe it'll be a team effort and they'll all work together to make an upgrade.

Danball Senki ended up doing three-man teams where they eventually had their robots combine into one super-powerful robot. I wonder if they'll borrow that for the upgrade instead. It'd even give them a unique gimmick since Gundam hasn't really done actual mecha combiners before. Combining backpacks and poo poo but not really full-on super robot combiners. We know from the pre-release stuff they're going to do 3-v-1 battles with mobile armors at least.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kanos posted:

I love that Nils combat theme sounds like one of the songs from 00 had a violent accident with a song from Naruto. It's still one of my favorite songs from the first season.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Kanos posted:

Nils reminded me of a bunch of my old friends and it was great.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kanos posted:

Oh definitely, and that was the best part about him (after Caro). (I meant an awful caricature of black people, but I assume you and everyone else actually knew that).

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I bet Nils listens to the Wu Tang Clan.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

chumbler posted:

Oh definitely, and that was the best part about him (after Caro). (I meant an awful caricature of black people, but I assume you and everyone else actually knew that).

Nils was my favorite character from the show, he ruled.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Loran sorta counted but Nils is explicitly the first time a person with a similar background to me showed up in any anime I can think of ever, he's the loving coolest even if he's a goofy motherfucker.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, Nils reinvented Plavsky Particles, there is like a 100% chance of him showing up 7 years old at some point. :allears:

I hope he has somehow become even more samurai in that time. Just walking around with a topknot and katana and a labcoat and treating it like it is 100% normal.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kurieg posted:

I love that Nils combat theme sounds like one of the songs from 00 had a violent accident with a song from Naruto. It's still one of my favorite songs from the first season.

One thing that keeps coming up when I listen to the soundtrack is that I keep feeling like its from a Final Fantasy game. Like listen to Allied Force from the first season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd46nIoKJq8

I swear the intro to that is straight out of FFIV. Likewise, in this episode you have a jazzy, finger snapping song that sounds straight out of FFVI when the three of them are talking right before the battle challenge.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Man, Nils reinvented Plavsky Particles, there is like a 100% chance of him showing up 7 years old at some point. :allears:

I hope he has somehow become even more samurai in that time. Just walking around with a topknot and katana and a labcoat and treating it like it is 100% normal.

I hope he has to do it in secret because Caroline won't let him.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I think the cameo I'm most looking forward to is Fellini and Kirara because Fellini was easily my favorite character from the first season and Kirara was up there too (and used a gerbera tetra for bonus points). Assuming that relationship held, they could even reasonably have a kid in 7 years, and Fellini would totally be the doting-est dad.

Is it weird to care about the characters' relationships in a show about toy robots punching (buy them, kids!) almost as much as said toy robots punching?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

He carries a briefcase everywhere with an emergency kimono, in the hopes that one day he can get away from her security guards and live freely, as a man should.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

I think the cameo I'm most looking forward to is Fellini and Kirara because Fellini was easily my favorite character from the first season and Kirara was up there too (and used a gerbera tetra for bonus points). Assuming that relationship held, they could even reasonably have a kid in 7 years, and Fellini would totally be the doting-est dad.

I honestly imagine Fellini and Kirara basically ending up like Max and Miria where they go through periods of awkward breakups followed by blowing the poo poo out stuff together.

chumbler posted:

Is it weird to care about the characters' relationships in a show about toy robots punching (buy them, kids!) almost as much as said toy robots punching?

No, Build Fighters was honestly really good about making the characters and their relationships fun and easy to care about. It was part of what the show did really well. I mean none of them are deep characters but most of the ones with screentime are really fun. I think the biggest duds are probably Mao and his girlfriend and China and even then China and Sei are cute together.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Loran sorta counted but Nils is explicitly the first time a person with a similar background to me showed up in any anime I can think of ever, he's the loving coolest even if he's a goofy motherfucker.

Same here, Loran got me back into Gundam pretty much single handedly via DW Gundam and Turn A a few years back, but Nils is pretty much the best thing.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Nils as Mister Bushido.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Sharkopath posted:

Loran sorta counted but Nils is explicitly the first time a person with a similar background

So what you are saying is that you weren't raised on the moon? :v:

Edit: Man, it had to be kind of weird when he was your only option.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Speaking of Nils, I hope his parents show up this season. Back when he was introduced for the very first time, I was expecting his parents to look absolutely nothing like the silhouettes in his WWE promo video, and I was a little disappointed that they straight up never showed at all.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

John Carstairs posted:

So what you are saying is that you weren't raised on the moon? :v:

It's very hard to find combination Master Detective/Martial Artist parentage representation in media.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

LeadSled posted:

Nils as Mister Bushido.

Sengoku Masurao. :japan:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
How about Sei's Dad as the bumbling yet somehow competent Gunpla Interpol officer?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kurieg posted:

How about Sei's Dad as the bumbling yet somehow competent Gunpla Interpol officer?

I'm hoping Sei replaced him myself.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

LeadSled posted:

Nils as Mister Bushido.

Oh my god, it's perfect.

Bloody Pom posted:

Sengoku Masurao. :japan:

:flashfap:

Caros
May 14, 2008

You know what just occurred to me. Why the gently caress does Ramba Ral know the name of the Build Burning Gundam?

Did Sei show it off before hiding it away? Or is it just Ramba Ral being Ramba Ral?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I forget, does Ramba Ral work at that school or something or are we to assume that he just wanders around it regularly?

• Locked thread