Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

the art institute is one of the colleges where you send your fuckup rich kids when they didn't turn out sociopathic enough to study economics at yale or whatever. or where you send the girls.

the ten most expensive colleges in the usa are all private art/drama/music institutes for this very reason.

I did some back-of-the-envelope calculations on that and her private debts, alone, are accumulating $1422.24 on the first month in interest, and to the moon after that.

That poor woman is hosed for life. Moving to China is her best bet at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Egan Yardley posted:

shooting an er doc is pretty awful since they're treated like poo poo anyway but its hard to feel sympathy for private practice docs that are in control of the whole shebang and "you need to pay us $1000 before we'll even treat, lmao"

there's a widespread move happening right now with docs that run clinics going to an "insurance free" billing model where it's all cash on the barrel and they take literally no other form of payment whatsoever

apparently it's way cheaper and they don't hafta worry about a gigantic amount of paperwork and the associated staffing and payment delays

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

btw, unless you've got an in at a firm and are already lined up with a good job, law school falls under said "WORTHLESS DEGREES" category in TYOOL 2014

yep

have a friend who went to law school on loans
she was a bartender for a looooooong time q

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
cjs: think i'm going to leave work early today so i can hand-deliver some paperwork to my new job

short-timer syndrome in full effect

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Citizen Tayne posted:

I did some back-of-the-envelope calculations on that and her private debts, alone, is accumulating $1422.24 on the first month in interest, and to the moon after that.

That poor woman is hosed for life. Moving to China is her best bet at this point.

or just canada or australia or the uk or germany or something

your credit history doesn't cross international borders (yet)

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

yeah i agree that the student loan situation is getting out of hand in the US, but people need to stop accepting said loans for WORTHLESS DEGREES

people are told that they are not worthless and are not equipped properly to figure out that they're actually worthless

it's exploitation plain and simple and blaming the folks trying to improve their lives is the wrong tack

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Werthog 95 posted:

tbf if i married rich i'd probably let my husband pay for me to gently caress around as long as possible too

if i were rich, i would gladly entertain my wife's hobbies and interests. especially if she were willing to act like she wasn't repulsed by me

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Egan Yardley posted:

shooting an er doc is pretty awful since they're treated like poo poo anyway but its hard to feel sympathy for private practice docs that are in control of the whole shebang and "you need to pay us $1000 before we'll even treat, lmao"

i know a dermatologist who makes 650k a year who totaled a basically brand new toyota avalon by driving it 180 miles from austin to houston in 2nd gear not even noticing that it was at 6000 rpm the whole time

six hundred and fifty thousand dollars a year

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there's a well known design school in pasadena where you can go to learn to draw racecars because vrrrm brrrmmmm i love drawing racecars!!! and daddy is bankrolling my racecar drawing college.

it is 3 semesters a year at $35,000 a semester. a friend of a friend went there and said that when their sketching class needed a car as a drawing reference, the school bought them a brand new bmw.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

people are told that they are not worthless and are not equipped properly to figure out that they're actually worthless

it's exploitation plain and simple and blaming the folks trying to improve their lives is the wrong tack

Be sure to listen to Authority Figures, kids!

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
hey it was in the old thread but if anyone has pro tips on breaking up with someone you live with i'd like to hear it

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

yeah its pretty sad she can't declare bankruptcy and get that cleared unless she physically cripples herself. america.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

there's a widespread move happening right now with docs that run clinics going to an "insurance free" billing model where it's all cash on the barrel and they take literally no other form of payment whatsoever

apparently it's way cheaper and they don't hafta worry about a gigantic amount of paperwork and the associated staffing and payment delays

hahaha i bet that is a medical biller & coder dream job until they realize THEY'RE BEING REPLACED BY A CASHIER

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Werthog 95 posted:

tbf if i married rich i'd probably let my husband pay for me to gently caress around as long as possible too

i considered being a professional student like my cousin who graduated from stanford then harvard

but then he got tired of being "poor" (family money instead of his own) and went to work for microsoft to develop windows 3.11

dude retired at 50 and now runs a beer pub in seattle with his wife and just fucks around all day with drunk students

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

prefect posted:

cjs: think i'm going to leave work early today so i can hand-deliver some paperwork to my new job

short-timer syndrome in full effect

senioritis is the best part about a new job

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

kwinkles posted:

i know a dermatologist who makes 650k a year who totaled a basically brand new toyota avalon by driving it 180 miles from austin to houston in 2nd gear not even noticing that it was at 6000 rpm the whole time

six hundred and fifty thousand dollars a year

i tried to push futurewife toward being a doctor for rich people problems

tho it wasn't the money - i was hoping that she would work their banker's hours so that i could actually get to see her more often

but noooooooooo she wants to cure people of cancer and work dogshit hours for half the pay of derm

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

hey guys

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Blackula69 posted:

hey it was in the old thread but if anyone has pro tips on breaking up with someone you live with i'd like to hear it

find a person to take over your part of the lease and move out

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i ordered a pizza and im going to play D3 + RoS all evening

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

or maybe it's one of those things that aren't black and white? i mean i agree that kids are dumb and tuition in the usa is insane, but still

Blackula69 posted:

tell her you don't want to breed pugs and reclaim your dignity

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Blackula69 posted:

three words

i

am

gay

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

debtchat is making me really glad i went to a tech school goddamn

burn financial institutions to the ground

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

or just canada or australia or the uk or germany or something

your credit history doesn't cross international borders (yet)

this was kinda annoying tbh when i first applied for a credit card in the states because i had like 800+ in canada but even though equifax exists in both countries they were like "lol ok we can give you one with a hundred dollar limit if you put a hundred dollars down"

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
cls: I accidentally engaged with anti-vac people. HELP!

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

AlsoD posted:

find a person to take over your part of the lease and move out

we have a really sweet living situation so it will be a bummer to move but yeah

we'll probably both move though because she hates having roommates

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Funhilde posted:

cough on them

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blackula69 posted:

i was just going to reply before it got closed, because hey i was in that exact situation!

What I did: I sat her down, said I want to break up. She recoiled but I put my foot down because I was all fired up. I slept on the couch a few days while she cried a lot and figured out a new place to live. She moved out i think two days later and I haven't seen her since!

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

also if you get a grad degree and it's not free you done goofed

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

keyboard vomit posted:

debtchat is making me really glad i went to a tech school goddamn

burn financial institutions to the ground

i would absolutely attend drafting school

this poo poo is annoying as hell to hafta learn on the fly in addition to my design duties

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i tried to push futurewife toward being a doctor for rich people problems

tho it wasn't the money - i was hoping that she would work their banker's hours so that i could actually get to see her more often

but noooooooooo she wants to cure people of cancer and work dogshit hours for half the pay of derm

she's truly making a big sacrifice to be only making $325,000 a year

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

Egan Yardley posted:

At the end of his career my dad moved to Kauai'i to practice, his office partners were always grilling him about booking follow ups and checkups when there was no reason to and to do as many billable things in a visit as they could, they also had a whole billing department with 5 employees for something that one person could do in Canada. Not to mention that they screwed him badly when he had his stroke.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
or do what i did for my first major breakup: be in denial about your true feelings, propose to her, get depressed, play mmos for 5 hours every night for months on end until she asks wtf you're doing with your life, then break up with her

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

or maybe it's one of those things that aren't black and white? i mean i agree that kids are dumb and tuition in the usa is insane, but still

tell her you don't want to breed pugs and reclaim your dignity

people always love to point out that the degrees are worthless and rarely have a follow up "hey kid looking to improve your life, don't actually go to college, instead you should do: ..."

we need massive education reform and student protection and real opportunities for them. blaming them for being exploited doesn't fix anything.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Funhilde posted:

tell them that you prefer not to take your medical advice from a playboy centerfold model

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Awia posted:

i ordered a pizza and im going to play D3 + RoS all evening

please dont eat a whole pizza awia

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Funhilde posted:

logic will not save you now

surrender

they'll say "i just don't want to take the risk" and you will want to say "WHAT RISK YOU IDIOT THERE IS BASICALLY ZERO RISK" and then stab them, but you can't change their minds, you just can't

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Careful Drums posted:

i was just going to reply before it got closed, because hey i was in that exact situation!

What I did: I sat her down, said I want to break up. She recoiled but I put my foot down because I was all fired up. I slept on the couch a few days while she cried a lot and figured out a new place to live. She moved out i think two days later and I haven't seen her since!

k thanks. i'm still not sure but she isn't fun to hang out with so i think that's a pretty big clue. question might get forced though

biggest thing i will miss is our dog, whom i love to the ends of the earth.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

she's truly making a big sacrifice to be only making $325,000 a year

haha that's not until like 6-7 years from now

right now she's barely making above minimum wage for her 80 hour workweek

lol american doctors

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Blackula69 posted:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

three words

i

am

gay

did that for real and it worked out just fine, even stayed roommates for a while with no problems

may not work as well if you are not actually gay

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blackula69 posted:

k thanks. i'm still not sure but she isn't fun to hang out with so i think that's a pretty big clue. question might get forced though

biggest thing i will miss is our dog, whom i love to the ends of the earth.

how old are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

prefect posted:

if i were rich, i would gladly entertain my wife's hobbies and interests. especially if she were willing to act like she wasn't repulsed by me

jesus prefect don't kill yourself

• Locked thread