Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
You wanna test the limits of your relationship? Go watch Gone Girl, she will loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Honest Thief posted:

You wanna test the limits of your relationship? Go watch Gone Girl, she will loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove it

I'm mentally composing a list of worst date films ever. So far I've got Whose Afraid Virginia Woolf, Closer and Oleanna, would you throw Gone Girl on that list?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Only God Forgives needs to be on that list.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I think that film might have slammed the first nail on our relationship's metaphorical coffin

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Skwirl posted:

I'm mentally composing a list of worst date films ever. So far I've got Whose Afraid Virginia Woolf, Closer and Oleanna, would you throw Gone Girl on that list?

Dancer in the Dark

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FishBulb posted:

Dancer in the Dark

I really need to see that, but I'm slightly phobic of Bjork.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Magic Hate Ball posted:

May the cast live to see the show's finale.

It really is complete bullshit that Phil Hartman isn't still alive and doing awesome character work.

e: if they had ended the show when he died the last season would have been...Season 9. I'd be pretty okay with that, a handful of later episodes aside.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Skwirl posted:

One time I watched Exit Through the Gift Shop with an art history major.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Lets just say, it's a therapeutic movie for couples that have some time on, shock therapy.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I feel like Rear Window would be an interesting date movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Her. My parents actually decided to get a divorce after that movie.

poo poo was bad, but I believe Her made it worse.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

One time I watched Exit Through the Gift Shop with an art history major.

Easiest way to piss of an art history major is to tell them the most coherent definition of art I've ever heard: "That which has no use." This includes both good and bad art and high and low art, and despite Roger Ebert's protests, it includes video games. It is the best explanation of Duchamps toilet being ART and every other toilet not being ART, but it really pisses of art history majors.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Irreversible...actually anything by Noe would be a horrible date movie

Also Antichrist...but once again probably anything by Von Trier.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 3, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Skwirl posted:

Easiest way to piss of an art history major is to tell them the most coherent definition of art I've ever heard: "That which has no use." This includes both good and bad art and high and low art, and despite Roger Ebert's protests, it includes video games. It is the best explanation of Duchamps toilet being ART and every other toilet not being ART, but it really pisses of art history majors.

Architecture.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Skwirl posted:

Because it's really loving dumb

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Architecture.

Isn't art, it's crafts, like a really good chef.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Really loving dumb

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Isn't art, it's crafts, like a really good chef.

No. Especially so because food can also be art.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Because it's really loving dumb

Then give me a better definition.

Also, isn't dickstream supposed to be happening right now?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Uh oh here comes the Great CineD Art Debate, someone call in Rabo Karabekian.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

Then give me a better definition.

Also, isn't dickstream supposed to be happening right now?

Everyone has poo poo to do so I'm just going to play marvel heroes and watch VOTOMS.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Literally The Worst posted:

Everyone has poo poo to do so I'm just going to play marvel heroes and watch VOTOMS.

If you ever find a quality copy of Armor Hunter Mellowlink, THAT has to be Dickstreamed. VOTOMS owns, I once wrote an academic paper about why VOTOMS rules and Gundam blows (as far as being anti-war media).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dammit, I was looking forward to Dredd.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Skwirl posted:

Surviving Edged Weapons

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It's weird how Drive and Only God Forgives are pretty much perfect mirrors of each other.

Also, Anonymous Robot, here you go, here's a good quality copy of Armor Hunter Mellowlink.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ror posted:

Surviving Edged Weapons

Is art, unless you think it's a useful training film.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

SALT CURES HAM posted:

It's weird how Drive and Only God Forgives are pretty much perfect mirrors of each other.

Also, Anonymous Robot, here you go, here's a good quality copy of Armor Hunter Mellowlink.

Yeah, I've seen this around before, but I guess I've been holding out for something that looks less like a choppy VHS rip. I guess, given the material, I probably shouldn't hope for more. I'll probably watch this soon.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
What's that youtube channel with all the crummy 80s horror movies on it?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Anonymous Robot posted:

If you ever find a quality copy of Armor Hunter Mellowlink, THAT has to be Dickstreamed. VOTOMS owns, I once wrote an academic paper about why VOTOMS rules and Gundam blows (as far as being anti-war media).

Gundam rules because Tomino is a dick who hates his fans and Gundam as a Franchise and the toyetic parts of the show etc but VOTOMS has Space Vietnam. Also I absolutely have a source for Mellowlink, once I get there I'll stream it.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What's that youtube channel with all the crummy 80s horror movies on it?

More specific. (Used to be TheBurialGround but his accounts got shut down).

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
e: actually this is probably not cool

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 3, 2014

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

More specific. (Used to be TheBurialGround but his accounts got shut down).

That was the one I was talking about, so I guess never mind.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Gundam rules because Tomino is a dick who hates his fans and Gundam as a Franchise and the toyetic parts of the show etc but VOTOMS has Space Vietnam.

Yeah but Gundam can never escape being a vehicle for the peddling of war toys, and had a bizarre nationalist streak and endorses imperialist teleology and all kinds of gross stuff. VOTOMS is anti-toyetic (because it's a failure as a capitalist object). And not only does it have Space Vietnam, it has Space Vietnam where Space America is set up as the bad guy, right down to their pilots having the generic "helmet shadow over face" look going on, and the VC are characterized as underdog spiritual rebel/folksy traditional villages, setting up a face-turn where Chirico joins their struggle, and then it never happens, and instead goes off in a crazy different direction).

VOTOMS is one of like three good animes. (The other is Kaiji and the third one is maybe Mononoke?)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Counterpoint: Votoms has like a bunch of spin-offs and also Bandai put out some baller-rear end 1/20 Scopedog kits that you assemble with a tiny wrench.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Skwirl posted:

Is art, unless you think it's a useful training film.

Documentaries.

Those art history majors are probably less pissed off at the content of your statement than by the (most likely smug) way that you attempt to reduce the discipline to which they, their friends, their colleagues, and their mentors have devoted their lives into a (facile) one-liner.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Counterpoint: Votoms has like a bunch of spin-offs and also Bandai put out some baller-rear end 1/20 Scopedog kits that you assemble with a tiny wrench.

Yeah, but to my knowledge none of that has ever been very successful.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Everything that is created is art.

Is it too late to change my vote on this thread? I'm feeling more of a 3 now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aw man, I just got home and opened up Dickstream and there was nobody there :smith:

Is it getting postponed to another night?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah, but to my knowledge none of that has ever been very successful.

It's because they all (with the exception of Mellowlink) suck rear end.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skwirl posted:

My Dad took a woman to see Taxi Driver on a first date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Documentaries.

Those art history majors are probably less pissed off at the content of your statement than by the (most likely smug) way that you attempt to reduce the discipline to which they, their friends, their colleagues, and their mentors have devoted their lives into a (facile) one-liner.

I can't think of anything less useful then a documentary. The Thin Blue Line released a man from jail and he sued the filmmakers.

• Locked thread