Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Today's Games

Today in Baseball History
  • 1920 - The only tripleheader in this century was played, with the Cincinnati Reds defeating the Pittsburgh Pirates in the first two games. The Pirates won the nightcap, which was called after six innings because of darkness.
  • 1932 - The Yankees sweep the Cubs in the World Series. Tony Lazzeri hits two homers and Earle Combs adds another in the 13-6 laugher.
  • 1938 - Bob Feller struck out eighteen Detroit Tigers, setting a single-game record that stood until Steve Carlton broke it in 1969.
  • 1954 - The Giants sweep the American League team with the best record in history, scoring four runs in the fifth for a 7-4 win over Cleveland. The Indians had won 111 games, a record that stood until surpassed by the 1998 Yankees.
  • 1963 - Sandy Koufax fans the first five batters he faces and becomes the first pitcher to fan fifteen in a World Series game. Johnny Roseboro's three-run home run is the difference as Los Angeles beats the Yankees 5-2 at New York.
  • 1968 - Bob Gibson of the St. Louis Cardinals set a World Series record by striking out seventeen Detroit Tigers in Game 1.
  • 1969 - The Seattle Pilots play what will be their last game in Seattle in a 3-1 loss to Oakland. A crowd of 5,473 shows up.
  • 1974 - During a 13-0 Braves win over Reds, Hank Aaron homers off Rawly Eastwick. It is Aaron's 733rd career clout and comes in his last National League at-bat.
  • 1978 - In a one-game playoff for the American League East title, Bucky Dent hit a three-run homer off Mike Torrez, leading the New York Yankees to a 5-4 victory over the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park.
  • 1988 - Minnesota's season-ending 3-2 win over the Angels is watched by 35,952 fans, making the Twins the first American League club ever to break three million in season attendance.
  • 1991 - The Toronto Blue Jays clinched the American League East title and became the first team in sports history to draw four million fans in one season.
  • 2001 - Slugging Sammy Sosa becomes the first player in baseball history to slug 60 home runs in three seasons. The Cubs' outfielder connects off Reds starter Lance Davis to reach the milestone.
  • 2005 - Before taking the field, the Marlins are told by an emotional Jack McKeon that he was managing the team for the last time. After applause and hugs for their 73-year old skipper, the Florida players respond by rallying in the ninth inning and defeat the NL East champion Braves in the 10th, 7-6.

Tedd_Not_Ed fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Hey boys, do you know what we get to do today? We get to watch baseball

your Orioles lineup

Nick Markakis - RF
Alejandro De Aza - LF
Adam Jones - CF
Nelson Cruz - DH
Steve Pearce - 1B
James Jerry Hardy - SS
Ryan Flaherty - 3B
Nick Hundley - C
Jonathan Schoop - 2B

Christopher Tillman - RHP (13-6, 3.34 ERA)

the popes toes fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 2, 2014

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Going to the angels game.

I know you'll all be waving your monkeys and clapping your thunderstix in spirit with me. Phone charged ready to lightwave like no other.

Go dirtbags :toot:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Orioles are so overmatched in this series. But regardless I'll cheer em on.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Go a cat team, gently caress a bird team. :radcat:

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there absolutely anyway of watching this online legally because I do not want to buy a cable subscription and Postseason.TV sounds really shady.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
We are going to get our poo poo kicked in but gently caress it, go Orioles, gently caress the Tigers, gently caress the Angels. :toot:

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Go Orioles, Go Royals!

Go Good Guys!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Holy schla-moly.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Tillman dealing, wow

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

God drat that was a nice inning by Tillman.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Holy poo poo, look at Tillman go.

somethingblue
Sep 25, 2005

Why do so many people think the O's are overmatched? They aren't, Detroit is a very flawed and inconsistent team. Anyway Go Tigs.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hahahahahahaha.

Get Lobstein up.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Who hits a shoe? I mean really

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
Max is trying to destroy three of Baltimore's robots so the Tigers win by default, Base Wars style.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Hurray! GIDP!

Edit: gently caress

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Goodbye, homerun!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kawalimus posted:

Orioles/Tigers is going to be a massacre. I won't be surprised if the Orioles don't get a single run the entire series.

And they did it in the first inning of the first game of the series.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
Of course Nelson loving Cruz is the one to do that. How could he not be?!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
ALRIGHT CRUZ!!

But goddamn it of course jones swings at the first god drat pitch and gets a double play takes a run off the board for us there.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
Whoo-ee, whoo-ee baby
Won't you let me take you Nelson Cruz?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

hahahaha Nelly

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
THERE WILL BE DINGERS

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Kawalimus posted:

ALRIGHT CRUZ!!

But goddamn it of course jones swings at the first god drat pitch and gets a double play takes a run off the board for us there.

Verbatim what I said after I realized Cruz hit it out

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
DDURRRHURR NELSON CRUZ IS AT THE PLATE AND WE'RE IN A SHOEBOX I GUESS I SHOULD THROW HIM A STRIKE?

:jerkbag:

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Thank god TBS has given us different announcers than Tuesday.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

fknlo posted:

And they did it in the first inning of the first game of the series.

Reminder that Kawalimus knows a lot about real birds but jack poo poo about fake ones.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Cruz made the Tigers his sockpuppet in 2011 but yeah let's not pitch carefully to him or anything.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
:toot:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
How are these guys scoring without bunts?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
:laffo:

We got ourselves a shootout folks.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
This is gonna be an entertaining game.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

park effects y'all

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

For those of you wondering, Victor Martinez is going to get a new contract.

somethingblue
Sep 25, 2005

Victor "I'd rather hit with 2 strikes" Martinez

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
:lol:

somethingblue
Sep 25, 2005

JUST. DINGERS.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008