Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Let it post, let it post, can't wait to shit post anymore~
Let it go, let it go, gonna vote one and move onnnnnn~

This is Prison Architect.

Prison Architect is a game made by Introversion Software. In the game, you run a private for-profit prison. It is a top down 2D construction and management simulation game where you’re trying to turn a profit off of incarcerated people. This is a sandbox though and that means you can either run a hippy nordic lovefest prison that meets your prisoner’s needs, or a strong arm bare bones suppression fortress. As long as you’re keeping the books in the green, who cares how you treat those prisoners?

This game is currently in Alpha, but that doesn’t it mean it’s lacking in features. In fact, it’s in Alpha 25. This game has now been in development for over two years and is still getting a regular update every month.

Here is the video for Alpha 31a
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7im85MDoxA

• Manage Minimum Security, Medium Security, or Max Security Prisoners.. or all three!
  • Set up a regime to manage your prisoner’s time, or separate different groups
  • Assign punishments for infractions, from minor to major
  • Take grant money and expand your prison for reward
  • Gruel or gourmet? How will you feed your prisoners?
  • Wire and utility management!

• Juggle the needs of your prisoners to keep them in line
  • Start up a workshop and use prisoner labor to make some extra cash
  • Use reform programs to help your prisoner’s reoffending rate
  • Start a rehab program for your drug addicts
  • A fully fleshed techtree!

• Tasers, shotguns? Arm your guards and make sure they don’t create too many bodies
  • Use dogs to sniff out crime, or metal detectors to catch contraband
  • Stop escape attempts through fences or finding their tunnels
  • Make a prison shaped like a dong
  • And MORE!

The basic premise of the game is to build a prison from the ground up and keep it profitable. To do this you’ll use your workers to build a foundation, then walls, the amenities and cells etc. As a base minimum you only need to feed and house your prisoners to keep them alive, after that it’s up to you what you want to give them or provide.

Remember, this game is in alpha and the tutorial sucks. So remember to ask questions and don’t get frustrated as a lot of this game is hard to figure out if you haven’t been watching all of the Alpha videos. Speaking of, HERE is a list of all the alpha videos if you want to watch them in order. Of course in stead of doing that here’s a not too terrible Let’s Play to see how the basics work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3azKeOg1EfY

Eventually the game will have win scenarios and a campaign, but right now there are only failure scenarios.
Criminal Negligence - Too many deaths. Unlocks playable prisoner mode
Too Many Escapes
Uncontrolled Riot- Watch the army come and kill everyone!
Bankruptcy

Prison Architect has STEAM WORKSHOP integration.

Want to run a Star Wars Empire themed prison? Maybe want to add some flair to your pool tables? Or are you one of those weirdos who wants a nazi camp mod (of which there are way too many)? Then you can easily go and subscribe to some of these for a little more flavor and variety.

You can also download other people’s prisons and play around with them, share with friends, or just mess around and cause a riot. Do this by subscribing to them in the workshop, then go into Extras > Prison Sharing and load them up.

bang bang

Pro tips, Pro strats:

Use GRANTS, why aren't you using GRANTS? ALWAYS USE GRANTS (they don't get mad if you don't complete them)

Select an item and use tab to cycle through all items on that tile to get to those pesky items occupying a tile with other objects. Thanks Foehammer!

Quick Qs:

Why isn’t this room working?
Did you build a foundation, zone it, and meet all room requirements?
Why won’t this tech unlock?
Do you have the right management (Foreman, Chief, Warden), and do they have an office?
Why won’t my guards equip tazers?
They have to take a course in the classroom.
Why is my shower on fire?!
Someone forgot a power switch.

Good look future for-profit Warden!

The REAL Gtab Fan fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

If anyone has a good tutorial video on youtube, I can't find one that isn't poo poo to put in the OP.

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Iunnrais posted:

I know we're still on the first page and all, but that seriously needs to go in the OP.

Done, also added the GRANTS protip.

What does everyone's current prison look like? My current Max Sec is falling apart due to these new traits. I went from 0 deaths for 100+ days to about 10 in one day.

The REAL Gtab Fan fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 3, 2014

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

nielsm posted:

building antics

I challenge you to use a small map and make a micro prison with these theories.

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Prison Architect is 66% Off Today as the Steam Daily Deal, for those of you on the fence.

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

I too, use mass amounts of armed guards for suppression.

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Man I wonder how those 5 people who dropped 1k on that feel 2 years later.

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

I've set it up so that my protective custody guys have to go through all the other cell blocks to get to their canteen. It's like a video game, first min > med > max > super. There's no guards in the shared hallways they use, only cameras.

Sometimes they make it.

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

cyclonic posted:

Or sometimes when I have riots my guards never get there - is there a way to sort of alert them and force them to report to a specific location en mass, like dispatching firefighters/cops in previous SimCity games?

Have you considered putting some guards on patrol in hot spots?

Also, once you get taser training, you shouldn't have to worry about riots.

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

On my serious business prison I only have armed guards patrolling the perimeter, armory, staff areas, and entrances. Always behind many solitary doors. I fear the day a prisoner gets one of my guns.

cyclonic posted:

I have cops patrolling hot spot but sometimes when a riot breaks out the cops assigned there get...incapacitated. I guess trying to re-assign patrol routes during a riot might fix it.

If you really want to nip it in the bud. Zoom out to view your entire prison, drag a selection box over the entire map (this will only select guards). Then right click in the middle of the riot. Watch as every guard in your prison abandons their posts to go fight the riot. Everyone goes back to their normal duties once there's no incidents happening around them.

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Perimeter wall two or three thick except for a small opening, one single gate and some fence. Large empty plot of land with armed guards and dogs patrolling. Tunneling prisoners will go this way because it's easier than digging through walls.

This game is 80% off on the Steam Sale today, so if you're still on the fence now is a great time to pick it up! This is the best Early Access Game out there.

The last update is moving the game in a direction I like, I'm all about that micro-management.

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

You attach them to payphones much the same way you do with door controls/camera controls. They then have to be manned by an operator. They will cycle through until they catch someone using the phone and listen in. You get some info usually.

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

The prisoners go into the room and idle until a serving table becomes available. If a prisoner is going across the room to grab a plate then the table is 'in use' by that prisoner. They can only be used by a couple of prisoners at a time. Once they grab a tray then it opens up.

Of course I am probably completely wrong but that's what it looks like to me but I am also dumb.

I usually put my serving tables right next to the entrances because of this.

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

People use shower and yard time?

Freetime - Work - Eat - Forever.

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Beyond the occasional 'super-murder' prisoner, there's not too much randomization and crazy-ness that can't be controlled if you do certain things. It's definitely more about you being an Architect (ehehe).

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Oh my goodness you can remove size requirements for cells.

And permanent incarceration... Goodbye legendaries.

The REAL Gtab Fan fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Stereotype posted:

I believe the currently used mechanic is to ship them to hell.

Ah yes, never ending solitary next to a medical ward, so when they pass out from hunger they get healed up.

• Locked thread