Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Also I imagine that when building the prison, the engineers unaccountably fail to include an array of secret passages to allow for easy traversal around the prison if only you knew where they were.

This probably matters more for old prisons and prisons built in old buildings that weren't originally prisons. Lots of forgotten passages, tunnels and plenum spaces. Unfortunately, there aren't too many of those around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just in case anybody doesn't get the reference: http://www.talesofgames.com/related_game/barkley-shut-up-jam-gaiden/

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PantsFreeZone posted:

I'd love a way to automate connections. Attaching every servo to a DCS is awful. Or even better, a way to automatically add things to a room. Like setup a layout for a cell and then if you create that room, the items are auto-placed. Nothing worse than having to place 500 beds, toilets and jail doors.

Uh... this already exists?

http://prison-architect.wikia.com/wiki/Clone_Tool

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BurntCornMuffin posted:

executions are best performed at night.

I'm pretty sure they do this in real life, as well.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Not really, because you can't put prisoners in good cells just because. They have to "earn" it. Which makes me feel like you're going to end up with a de facto caste system - prisoners in good cells will keep being good because they like their cells and stay there, while prisoners in bad cells will act up because they are in bad cells, forcing them to stay in bad cells forever.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jamsque posted:

That wasn't what I took from the video. If the average cell quality in your prison is high then you absolutely will give prisoners good cells 'just because' since new intake get average cells.

For 3 days. Then they have to earn them. What if they're in a 10 cell? They won't be eligible after the 3 days are up.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

No, they explicitly said they would be thrown in a holding cell if there was nothing low enough.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BurntCornMuffin posted:

I've seen setups where a door or checkpoint locks down unless a guard is on a plate, and in cell setups where a prisoner is forced to step on a plate to/from a toilet, combined with toggle logic and a light so you know who is pooping (ie tunneling) at night.

That's genius.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Don't use armed guards if you're just doing min sec, needlessly suppressing inmates doesn't help them. If they're being treated fairly they're more likely to go to reform programs.

He said "mixed," not "min."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

This club has been in my prison longer than many of the prisoners :catstare:

Introversion needs to implement legendary weapons. After they get passed around enough, they should have a name and some identifying marks (tally marks carved into the handle, a cloth wrapping, a nail through it, etc.).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

He was being sarcastic. :ssh:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tree Farm Simulator 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I made a mod!

In case it's not obvious, it's floor markings that let you split a room's designations. Technically, you can even use it to enclose a cell if you really want honor system cells.

It still needs some testing/tweaking, but it should be ready to upload soon.

Edit: More pictures!

KillHour fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 8, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Do guards have visibility across the lines? I've noticed some weird issues with guards not being able to see into certain "rooms" despite said rooms being completely open.

I set them to not block vision, but you're right, it seems finicky. The best answer I have is "usually."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Harmburger posted:

Any chance you could include a feature that doesn't require rooms to be in particular location(ie indoors)?

There's already a mod for this on the workshop, but I don't know if it's been updated. You can do it yourself by extracting the "main.dat" file (it's just a rar archive) and changing the rooms in materials.txt to remove any line that says

code:
BEGIN Requirement Type Indoor  END
You don't have to put it back into an archive after you're done. The game can just use the bare directory structure.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Version 1 of my zone designator mod is published. Let me know what you all think.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=516139086

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jamsque posted:

Do guards even enforce the regime in fortress mode? I don't think they do, the prisoner AI is what follows the regime. Guards will stop prisoners if they are in an area they shouldn't be or if they are attempting to escape but I have never seen a guard cuff a guy for being in the shower during canteen time.

No, they don't. Right now, I expect escape mode to be trivial for the most part. Like they said, the game is 1.0, but escape mode is still in alpha.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You don't take one over, you get delivered as a new one.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Isn't that just the normal game at that point?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Programming for multiple cores is HARD. Like really really hard. The program has to be built from the ground up with that in mind.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Two two-hour meals per day. Supermax prisoners who act up during their meal breaks get 24 hour lockdown punishment and their meals brought to them in the cell.
See, now this is soft on supermax. They get a bed, a toilet, and a shower in a 2x2 cell with a Solitary Door on it and they get to deal with constant lockdown. gently caress their needs; if satisfying their needs kept them from acting up their asses wouldn't be in supermax.

PC on the other hand, I coddle like crazy. Their cells are the same as all the non-supermax cells (no window, bed, toilet, shower, tv, drain under the door) so that I don't raise the average cell quality and piss off all my non-PC prisoners, but they have their own separate airlocked-off section of the prison. It's tiny, but they still have a private canteen, chapel, library, and yard (complete with untapped phones so they can satisfy their Family needs) and their schedule is all Free Time. If you're ex-LEO or have cooperated with law enforcement I want to reward you.

In my prisons, ex cops and snitches live on the other side of the road. With no amenities and 24x7 Armed guard service.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

NatasDog posted:

Open-Air hallways don't form proper cell blocks, the hallway needs to be indoors or each cell is its own block, which is dumb imo.

I started a small prison just to test this out. This works:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zedprime posted:

Babies seem like the weirdest bonus feature when the prisoner conflict modes are still firmly rooted in 1930s prison lore despite cameos from more modern conflicts in the campaign.

It's very hard to implement meaningful conflicts (in terms of gameplay) in something like this without resorting to cliche and exaggeration.

In real life, prison's don't devolve into weekly riots because someone didn't get their clothes washed or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Kins posted:

I have absolutely no idea how it will control.

Poorly.

• Locked thread