Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

In the previous thread, someone asked if changing the security level of a prisoner affects how much that prisoner gives you in grants.

Quick testing shows: Yes, it does.

You can indeed take in minsec prisoners, change them all to maxsec, and earn $125 more per prisoner.

What I don't know, is whether changing the security level of someone also affects their behavior, or if that's stored in hidden variables on the prisoners when they're generated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

So in short, if you want to run a minsec prison, just manually make all your prisoners into maxsec and get free money. It should probably count as a bug, though.

E: Guys, I'm not sure that's supposed to go there.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 3, 2014

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Another guy feeling pretty bad:

Apparently that's what happens when you get to STARVING ++++++++++, begin taking damage constantly.

I don't have any normal cells in this prison, so any time someone gets put on lockdown they have nowhere to go, meaning they just sit there cuffed, forever. This guy had apparently been there for a day or two without me noticing. Oops.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This is really just the small thing I built for testing out the per-prisoner grant if you change prisoners' rating after receiving them.

Makes plenty of cash and almost runs itself.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Lockback posted:

Won't they go crazy for privacy?

Those who have been in for longer time do get PRIVACY ++++++++++ need, but everything else is cared well enough for so it doesn't really become an issue.

I'm mostly mulling over how to add a small cell block without exposing it too much to the outside world (discouraging tunnel diggers).

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Here's how I ended up doing a cell block for the max-low-sec prison/work camp:

Note that all the rooms are inside a single building, the concrete tiles mark its bounds.
The perimeter wall is actually an inner wall, there is a buffer zone marked with regular fence further outside that, just to prevent throwing contraband inside.

Yes, you can in fact remove all the outer walls of a building and effectively end up with some sort of canopy. You can probably also use that trick to build your offices on the right side of the road, just build some 4x4 foundations and remove all the walls from them afterwards.

Edit: Yep.
Wonderful, chilly offices.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 3, 2014

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The REAL Gtab Fan posted:

I challenge you to use a small map and make a micro prison with these theories.

Uh, when is it a micro prison? Obviously as small as can possibly work, but what kind of/number of inmates? But I doubt this will make it much easier to pack more rooms into less space.

Another tip: If you have trouble making guard tazer certification work, plan two certification sessions, the first will usually be at 6-7 am, and the second from 7-8 am. The one from 6-7 am for some reason always fails, nobody ever gets there on time to succeed. So after planning a second 7-8 am session, cancel the 6-7 am session so everyone will use the 7-8 session instead.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

AzureSkye posted:

This guy must have been the busiest 5 year old on the block.

Odd his description text says 16 years.

I wonder if prisoners can die of old age.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sigh, modder drama also brewing for PA.

But looking through the Steam workshop there does seem to be a bunch of interesting/useful things.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I usually have dogs patrolling in the yard and in the visitation room, that finds most of the smelly contraband early.

Avoiding contraband thrown over the walls is easy, simply don't let prisoners near the outer walls. Easy to do by having buildings surrounding the entire area.

Dogs usually dig like 3-5 times in the same place if they have really found a tunnel. A lone flag is almost always false alarm.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Solartide posted:

So I'm actually posting this from a supermax in our state, how customizable is the archtecture? The screenshots I'm seeing have only rectangular buildings, can I recreate my irregularly shaped prison in the game?

Everything is based on a square grid, but you can make irregular-shaped rooms and "diagonal" corridors if you want. It's just easier to build in rectangular shapes, especially since most objects take up multiple tiles and would be hard to place in irregular-shaped rooms.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Nope but prisoners don't climb regular fences (but they dig under) so you can pretend they are lethal.

This makes me want to have climbing fences be a thing. Let it freak the guards so if you try and climb out of the yard you're getting taken down before you make it off the fence, but if the guards aren't nearby...

When I first started playing I didn't know if climbing was a thing, so I systematically removed all trees near walls and fences, since those might make it easier to scale the walls.
I want prisoners to climb trees too.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I don't know much about modding PA, but I know that the game currently only supports one main spritesheet (the original one), and one add-on spritesheet, no way for mods to plug in multiple sheets and have them all work.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

McGlockenshire posted:

Unfortunately, multiple infirmaries (for the drug program) work out very poorly. The doctors always end up clustering together in whatever infirmary is closest to the staffroom. Hmm, I wonder if building multiple local staffrooms would help...

Definitely build multiple smaller staff rooms and kennels. If you can keep them sufficiently secure, also multiple armories. (Armory is a bit more problematic layout-wise, since it needs both a large 4x1 table and the 2x1 weapon rack to be functional, in addition to the guard lockers.)

But yeah there are things you just can't stagger out in the regime. I noticed that if I tried having medium and max sec prisoners have work at different times, they would still mix in the foundation education classes. So max sec prisoners would go to class even though their regime said something entirely different.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Spookydonut posted:

Yeah so what I found was that 10 guards show up before the first tazer class is scheduled. Soon as it hits the top of the hour they all just leave and the classroom sits empty.
The second class turns up before the class and does the class normally, as do any subsequent classes that day.
The 10 guards (10 is the max class size for tazers) who did the first class can't attend any others that day so eventually you'll end up with 10 who never earn tazer certification. The work around I've found until they fix the bug is to have a classroom with only a few desks so you reduce the guards who can't get the training. But keep in mind this might screw up your prisoner classes, and is something you need to do everytime you hire more guards.

Try cancelling the early class after getting the later one working. That should leave the only tazer class at the timeslot that works, and let everyone finish it. Just don't touch the automatic reschedule button, it will reset the tazer class to the broken timeslot.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

I've got a noob game play question. So I have unlocked prison labor, built a laundry and a workshop. I'd like to put my prisoners to work, but you have to train them in either kitchen hygiene or workshop safety first. Fair enough. Here is my problem, when I try to start the programs I'm told "all rooms are booked" and I can't figure out for the life of me what I am supposed to do.

Do you have long enough work blocks in your regime? I think both kitchen and workshop intros need 2 hours.

Also you can definitely have prisoners work laundry and cleaning without any training. Use the deployment view to assign them to rooms.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Doctor Schnabel posted:

In other news, if my prison winds up with a bunch of cooking ingredients in storage, it means my kitchen's making too much for my population, right?

I think that just means the kitchen broke for a bit. I've had pots straight from the stove end up in storage. They'll probably never get moved back anywhere, so just have them dumped.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

When you use the perimeter walls, you still need to have weak points in them with gates or similar. The tunneling prisoners will try to exploit that weakness, and you can counter-exploit that by placing dog patrols near the guaranteed route they will take.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

spacejew posted:

So I've had a few prisons that I felt were set up pretty well buy my make problem keeps coming back to the canteen. I keep setting up kitchens and have my cooks working away and they cook food but never set out out to the prisoners. Any ideas?

Got enough serving tables in the canteen? And easily accessible from the kitchen?

spacejew posted:

Quick edit how do I make my showers stop spewing water all over? I put a drain under each shower head and connected it but it's like an ocean each time some dude goes to get clean.

The drains are more like water-blockers than water-suckers. Place them to block exits from the shower area.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

hailthefish posted:

The classes are about the same difficulty I think, but attendance has a strong impact on how your prisoners do, so there may be something interfering with their ability to attend all the cooking classes, maybe?

Prisoners with too many unmet needs can't get good concentration in classes, so they don't build up sufficient chance to succeed. So make sure anyone you want to do work is doing well.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Coolguye posted:

Also, is there any reason for anyone to be accessing the electrical and water substations after they're created?

The electrical station, yes. You will want to add more capacitors to it later.

Also, do watch the update videos from the developers.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Small water pipes lose pressure after a length, while large pipes can carry water any length. The large pipes are also easy for prisoners to tunnel along, so be careful how you lay them out as they can make for escape routes.

Yes, only guards have the Jail Keys, which can open the jail doors. Other staff only has Staff Keys, which can open the green staff doors.
Currently, prisoners obey the deployment classification of rooms, so if you mark an area as Staff Only then prisoners won't try to enter there unless they're rioting. Often you're better off only building jail doors where they might actually become important, i.e. on the main paths for escaping outside, and into the armory and security rooms. Use staff doors for other places prisoners shouldn't usually access freely, and regular doors for places where you just need a door for some reason, but passage is otherwise free.
Recently they also introduced remote-controlled doors, you can get guards to man a remote control station and open/close jail doors that way too.
Consider marking some doors as always-open when things are operating smoothly.

If you build a door on top of an already-constructed wall it should demolish the wall automatically. On the other hand if you designate wall and door for building at the same time, the door designation won't cancel the wall designation, and if the doors happens to be built before the wall, the wall will be on top of the door. Don't designate walls where you plan to have doors.

Yes there are indoor and outdoor areas. You make indoor areas with the Foundation tools. There isn't a terribly good way to check at a glance whether something is indoors or not, except how visibility and lighting acts, or whether you're allowed to build particular indoor-only/outdoor-only flooring there.
The Yard type room can be either indoor or outdoor, but most rooms can only be one or the other. Cells have to be indoor, and the forestry has to be outdoor, for example.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Noon and evening, as the default regime has, are definitely too close for meal times. Have one in the morning and one in the evening.

Try a regime with 2 hour yard time from 7 am, with your yard featuring showers and toilets too, then at 9 am a 2 hour meal. That should get the worst needs taken care of every morning, so you can send everyone on an 8 hour workday before the next meal!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

For confidential informants, when I activate them and they get brought to the security office is that it? Does a guard ever come to interrogate them or?

I activate them and they stand around for a while before I deactivate them but I have no idea if anything is actually happening or what.

Keep an eye on your Informants view while he is in the security room. There isn't any animation in the world showing the informant being interrogated, you just get an information bonus while he's active and inside security. If he has sufficient coverage, you should see a bunch of contraband icons and additional trait labels pop up in the Informants view.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

:sigh: now i'm at -4k income because I was relying on the no incident bonus, and I can't see any way to make it up. I have 100k in the bank, but I don't even have anyone making licence plates yet, none of them want to pass the workshop school program.

If they are attending the workshop introduction program but not passing it, there's probably serious unmet needs. Make sure they're fed, clean etc. before work time starts.

Also don't make license plates.
Set up a forestry and have them cut wood. Don't bother making beds either, just sell the planks. One tree sapling buys for $100, it makes 3 logs when felled, and each log makes 4 planks, a total of 12 planks per tree, selling at $50 each. That's $600 return on $100 investment.

License plates are $10 per piece of sheet metal, each sheet is cut into two unpressed plates, and each pressed plate exports for $10, so just $200 return on $100 investment. The amount of work done by the prisoners is much larger too.

Beds seem to be more trouble than worth, one bed takes 6 planks to make and sells for $400. This makes $800 return on a $100 tree instead, not a great improvement over just selling the planks, and making the beds takes a long time.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Havana Affair posted:

I had two really weird deaths yesterday. My two protective custody guys were constantly getting injured and then unconscious for no apparent reason. They were pretty much isolated from the rest of the prison, apart from reform programs and visitation, and weren't fighting each other either. I kept running doctors to patch them up, which they did, only for the prisoners to get injured again. I focused on something else for a while and then found one of them dead in a hospital bed and the other dead in a solitary cell.

Sure they weren't starving?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SandersPacheco posted:

I know it's probably posted somewhere in here, but I'm having the typical Luandry room issue where my inmates go to work and just stand in the room, doing nothing. My Laundry room's apparently well set (enclosed, all the required items, etc). Any ideas of why this happens?

Do you have enough ironing boards and laundry baskets? Are there dirty clothes lying around on beds, or baskets of unwashed clothes standing around, or crumpled but clean clothes around, or baskets of clean clothes not getting delivered? If everything seems to be in order perhaps there just isn't any more work to do?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

uXs posted:

Two quite important features, but I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed. Scheduling meals & classes is very big and will be a great help, but it's not really adding something new like the reputation system, or the automatic doors and logic system.

Is this a sign that they're getting closer to being feature complete? Or am I reading way too much in a single update?

There's probably still lots of other development going on in the background. For instance it's clear that they have some campaign/story-mode in the works but they haven't really expanded a whole lot on that yet.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

a worthy uhh posted:

Why is my laundry connected to my canteen? (Logistics)

They're refilling the mayo buckets in the canteen with left over detergent.

Edit: The administration porch.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 28, 2014

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

cyclonic posted:

Or sometimes when I have riots my guards never get there - is there a way to sort of alert them and force them to report to a specific location en mass, like dispatching firefighters/cops in previous SimCity games?

Def. been missing that, a better way to "catch" some guards and have them move somewhere. Somewhat similar to picking up units in Dungeon Keeper but without the teleporting action. Also maybe designate your own guard idling areas instead of having to rely on some particular rooms to act as that, or having to deploy everyone to specific rooms or patrols.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

AceClown posted:

All my unassigned cops just wander around the canteen most of the time, lazy fat pigs.

Meanwhile, mine love to hang out at the Deliveries area, which is precisely where they are needed the least.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dorkopotamis posted:

So I've been watching this game's development for awhile now, but have been avoiding purchase because I don't want to get burned out during in its unfinished state. I'm wondering where it's at now, how fun is it and how close is it to being a fully featured game?

In too many instances (Starbound, Divinity Original Sin, Endless Space, etc..) have I been burned out on an inferior version of what has become a good title and I seem to regret it. I did purchase it when it was on sale and I have some free time over the holidays, but I don't want to repeat history. Please thread, tell me what to do.

This is a very good game already. They could probably just call it finished tomorrow and nobody would know any better, but they're still promising more to come. With how much new they add every month, coming back every second month will also give you some days more fresh gameplay out of it.

The one thing they're obviously adding but not releasing yet, is a story/campaign mode, you can see traces of it in the developer videos.

Just get it already, if you like Theme Hospital, Dungeon Keeper, Sim Tower or Rollercoaster Tycoon you'll probably love this.

(Prison Architect together with Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft are the early-access-style published games that show how the model is done right. Most end up doing it wrong, PA isn't one of them.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Does anyone know if prisoners can die of old age? Like this guy:

He should be around 98 years old when he gets released (assuming he doesn't murder anyone else), he should probably croak before that. Right?

Do they change personality as they age?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

pandaK posted:

Is there a way to build rooms with bordering walls without demolishing and then rebuilding the walls when you annex the new building to it?

Don't overlap the new foundation with the old.

A foundation edge that touches but doesn't overlap an existing foundation will not cause a wall to be built.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I haven't actually played the newest release, but my understanding of how the deployment scheduling works:

First decide how many different (prison-wide) deployment plans you need across a day. Number each different deployment plan. One of them should be your "default-plan", which has no number.
Now mark each hour on the planner with the appropriate plan number.
Any two hours that have the same plan number assigned will have the same plan. Changing the plan with one of those hours selected will affect all other hours with the same number.
To actually set up the deployments in each plan, you then "scroll" the arrow over to an hour with some number on. After doing that, set the plan for all rooms that need to be different than the default. Then proceed to the next plan number the same way.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I haven't found any automatic way to get prisoners medical treatment. Doctors never seek out injured prisoners of their own accord, and injured prisoners aren't able to go to an infirmary on their own.

I sort of want a staff policy screen. Settings such as:
- Doctors seek out injured staff
- Doctors seek out injured prisoners
- Injured staff seek medical attention
- Guards take breaks when [_] lightly tired [_] somewhat tired [_] very tired
- Workmen take breaks when [_] lightly tired [_] somewhat tired [_] very tired
- Other staff take breaks when [_] lightly tired [_] somewhat tired [_] very tired

and maybe more stuff I can't think of right now.

I suppose you could place your infirmary right next to your solitary cells, that should make doctors notice injured mates quickly.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This is a new thing for me:
Apparently your ability to take out large loans depends on a good credit rating, and the only way to raise your credit rating is to have a loan that you pay interest on.

Therefore, as soon as you start a new prison and unlock loans, take out the minimum loan of $500. That gives you a daily interest payment of $25, and will gradually raise your loan limit from a useless $2500 to $50,000 and even more.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay this has to be a bug, right? It seems that holding cells don't generate demand for food in canteens. They also can't be served by laundry rooms, it seems. As a result my protective custody prisoners are all starving.

Maybe I should just let them starve to death, much easier to handle a prison without snitches...

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

a worthy uhh posted:

Laundry is based on beds -- do you have beds in your Holding Cell? And food is generated based on serving tables and cookers/cooks, unless I'm misunderstanding you

Yes there are 5 beds in the holding cell, but no fresh sets of clothes were ever delivered to them over any of the 20+ days the cell was operating.

And no, since the previous update, food isn't produced based on number of seats or serving tables in a canteen, but on the number of prisoners served by that canteen. You can see the food demand number for a canteen in the Logistics screen after unlocking Micromanagement, and that number was zero. The holding cell didn't even have an outgoing arrow to the canteen, indicating it wasn't capable of producing food demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fragrag posted:

Is there any way to stop ordering sheet metal? I've switched over to woodworking for my workshops but sheet metal keeps arriving. I even already removed the Workshop Presses

Expand your forestries. They stop ordering sheet metal when there is a queue of logs that haven't been cut.

• Locked thread