Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I came here looking for the thread, but it seems like no one has made it yet. Since it's officially the second day of October, I might as well create the official thread.

I took the next part from an older thread that I saved two years ago. I'd like to thank the original poster who took their time to type this out. Whoever you are, thank you, you saved me a lot of time.

What is NaNoWriMo?

quote:

National Novel Writing Month (or NaNoWriMo) is a month-long event every November where aspiring writers hunker down, work through their stress and their crippling self-criticism, and churn out 50,000 words of pure prose. The goal of NaNoWriMo is to start and finish a novel (well really, a novella) within a 30 day time frame.

So it's a competition?

Yes and no. There are no prizes for finishing your novel, though in recent years the folks at NaNoWriMo have arranged some small consolations from third-parties for those who hit the 50k word mark (cheaper self-publishing, a shiny badge to put in your profile on the site, etc). The site does track your progress throughout the month and incorporates some social networking features so you can keep up with your friends/local NaNos/goons. However, the real reward is something much more personal -- to know that, in thirty days, you've done what many aspiring writers only dream of doing: chewed on ideas, swallowed your own trepidation, and after digesting everything and spending awhile in the bathroom, plopping out a steaming pile of novel to call your own.

Wait, locals?

One of the biggest themes in NaNoWriMo is solidarity with your fellow writer. It may sound silly, but half the fun of taking part is swapping war stories with your other participants (which is why this thread exists). To this end, NaNoWriMo's staff organize community write-ins across the world, where creepy people writing sci-fi catfox erotica wordsmiths of all types meet up in real life with coffee and laptops and type away furiously (or totally waste time). I've never taken part in one of these, but I've heard good and bad things from those who have. At any rate it gets you out of the house and is a good way to combat the inevitable mid-month writer's block.

Are there rules?

Yes, but there really isn't any enforcement of them except the honor system. The only rules that I'm aware of are:

-No writing may be done before 12:01am on November 1st in your local time zone. You can spend all the time you want before that planning/taking notes/doing character sketches/everything else, but no actual writing of the novel is to take place.
-The work must be some kind of fiction. No monographs allowed. However, you can write literally any genre of fiction that your heart desires. You'll see some people trying to aim for so-called "serious" literature, but the vast majority of the novels that I've seen churned out on the site's forums in the past have been fantasy/sci-fi. Oh, and some erotica. There's a lot of overlap.

Okay, so I think I could do this. Are there any tips you can give to newbies?

It varies wildly from person to person, but if you want to be successful, in my opinion you really should plan ahead of time as best you can. Hitting the ground running with a solid start is the best way to actually keep yourself motivated and not get bogged down too quickly. Then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about, I've never actually won NaNoWriMo.

Here's a list of tips from the official NaNoWriMo site. Otherwise, other goons here will chime in with their own tips/ideas for preparation for prospective NaNos.
NaNoWriMo.org posted:
1) It’s okay to not know what you’re doing. Really. You’ve read a lot of novels, so you’re completely up to the challenge of writing one. If you feel more comfortable outlining your story ahead of time, do it! But it’s also fine to just wing it. Write every day, and a book-worthy story will appear, even if youÂ’re not sure what that story might be right now.

2) Do not edit as you go. Editing is for December and beyond. Think of November as an experiment in pure output. Even if it’s hard at first, leave ugly prose and poorly written passages on the page to be cleaned up later. Your inner editor will be very grumpy about this, but your inner editor is a nitpicky jerk who foolishly believes that it is possible to write a brilliant first draft if you write it slowly enough. It isn’t. Every book you’ve ever loved started out as a beautifully flawed first draft. In November, embrace imperfection and see where it takes you.

3) Tell everyone you know that you’re writing a novel in November. This will pay big dividends in Week Two, when the only thing keeping you from quitting is the fear of looking pathetic in front of all the people who’ve had to hear about your novel for the past month. Seriously. Email them now about your awesome new book. The looming specter of personal humiliation is a very reliable muse.

3.5) There will be times you’ll want to quit during November. This is okay. Everyone who wins NaNoWriMo wanted to quit at some point in November. Stick it out. See it through. Week Two can be hard. Week Three is much better. Week Four will make you want to yodel. And we’re talking the good kind of yodeling here.

Are there goon resources/groups for NaNo?

There definitely was last year, and since NaNoWriMo is usually pretty popular here, I'm sure a SomethingAwful group will spring up. Keep an eye on this space, I'll post something as soon as someone sets it up.

They haven't officially opened sign ups for this year, but I assume that it will happen soon. So until then, let's start getting organized and get ready to write.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/jarrettbrown

If anyone wants to add me, feel free.

So what's everyone planning on writing this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Oh yay Nano thread. I've been doing this since 2006 although I changed my Nano name (same username as here) in 2011 and it wiped out all my previous novels info but oh well, they objectively sucked.

I've always enjoyed reading about what people are going to be writing, everyone usually has such interesting ideas. I love excerpts so please do include them, I love to go read them. If anyone is planning to publish to amazon ebooks let us know, I have a kindle and often go hunting for self published books just to see what's out there, particularly if it has lgbt characters in it or if it's funny. Or both.

Re-reading the old Nanos is an interesting experience. I find most of them seem to be dotted with furiously angry rants about my own lack of skill, long strings of swears bolded in red because I can't think of the word I need, big green directions to my future self to apparently "make that suck less" and sometimes pages and pages of stuff that needs to happen before I get to the bit I'm about write because it's more interesting.

As for this year? Not entirely sure. Whatever it will be likely there will be plenty of long strings of red swears and angry rants because I can't think of the word that means that thing where you GODDAMIT IT WHAT IS THAT loving WORD I HATE MY BRAIN SOMEONE SHOVE AN ICEPICK UP MY NOSE FUUUUUUUUUCK.

ps keep an eye out for Wrageowrapper his writing is amazing.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I know you're ideally supposed to start clean slate, but I'm continuing my scifi story from last year because I'm still very much interested in seeing it through. I made 50k last year - having never written anything longer than 10 pages before - and this year I'll do the same, counting only new and entirely rewritten sections towards the word goal. Should it happen that I finish the first draft before I reach 50k I'll do daily editing/rewriting instead.

I also need to get someone not me to read this or I'll be second guessing forever whether it's at all good in any way.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Elukka posted:

I know you're ideally supposed to start clean slate, but I'm continuing my scifi story from last year because I'm still very much interested in seeing it through. I made 50k last year - having never written anything longer than 10 pages before - and this year I'll do the same, counting only new and entirely rewritten sections towards the word goal. Should it happen that I finish the first draft before I reach 50k I'll do daily editing/rewriting instead.

I also need to get someone not me to read this or I'll be second guessing forever whether it's at all good in any way.

Water for Elephants, Night Circus, and various others where all written over the course of NaNo. The author of Night Circus, Erin Morgenstern, wrote hers over the course of two years. So go for it.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I think there might be an area on the Nano forums for book swaps, you might find someone keen on your genre or who is interested in the premise to have a read. I was going to go check but it appears to be down for me at the moment, it was last night too intermittently up and down - likely they'll be resetting the forums in a few days.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Why the hell not.

I'm going to be the Debbie Downer here and drop a home truth about NaNo though: your finished product is gonna suck. Nobody can write that quickly and have a complete and perfect package sitting in front of them. It's a first draft, and first drafts are meant to be hasty, poorly-worded things that you come back to fix later. Here's what you're going to try do in your 50K words:

1) figure out the plot
2) figure out the characters: who are they and what do they want?
3) that's it. There's no #3

Then later, you go and back and do a painstaking editing process to make your book actually work. NaNo stories can be great novels, but most people miss the importance of the later editing stage. Hoo boy, is there gonna be a long drawn-out and painful editing stage.

I'm not trying to discourage people here, just setting their sights more realistically. You're going to need to silence your inner editor for a month so you can spin out a huge steaming pile of poo poo, then bring him back later so you can turn that poo poo into gold.

quote:

This kills more novels than you can imagine. Every time the little niggling voice in your head starts up, shout "I'LL FIX IT LATER" and power forward. It's unavoidable that your first draft is gonna suck, so just embrace it and steam on through. You will fix it later, but with 50K in one month you aint got time to worry.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 5, 2014

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

Actually rather than being a downer you point out the fact that it's okay that it will suck, of course it's going to suck (though there might be gems in amongst it all). Silencing the inner-editor and telling the little naggy voice to shut the gently caress up and let you write is really important.

“The first draft is just you telling yourself the story.”

― Terry Pratchett

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
im in

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

screenwritersblues posted:

I took the next part from an older thread that I saved two years ago. I'd like to thank the original poster who took their time to type this out. Whoever you are, thank you, you saved me a lot of time.

You're welcome :3:

I've failed the last three years, might as well fail for a fourth in a row.

Lansoc
Jan 3, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Just finished up my plot and character outlines for this years... only made it to 45k last year. Ended up cutting up last years into a novella at 32k words.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Ah yes, it's that time of year again. I won't be participating yet again since I'm back in (grad) school and that's way more important than a lovely NaNo novel, of which I've already written two. Advice? Don't concentrate on making the next Great American Novel since it will inevitably suck, and write a shitload of words (I'd recommend 3000-4000) on the first day then go down to 2000 for the rest of the month.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I'll be participating again this year. About two years I think I managed near 7000 words but there was a lot also going on in my life at the time. I didn't really have a solid idea to go with. This year I have at least a vague idea of the start and the end, and it's a matter of simply filling the in between. I've been teetering between something for kids or something more geared towards a more mature audience. Either way I'm sticking with my favorite genre of fantasy (:v:) and looking forward to it. I bought Scrivener because I really enjoyed it when I was using it and it's just so drat convenient.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Lastr time I tried was 2012 I think. Managed about 23 000 words, still have it lying around.

I have been meaning to reboot the story (totally new angle) so I guess two years on would be suitable. Plus Nov 1 is a Saturday so that means a good solid two days of writing.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Looking over my NaNo history since 2008, it appears I lose every even-numbered year. So here I go again, traipsing into oblivion. No idea what I'll write, but dammit that's never stopped me before.

I'm Miriable on their site. Unless you're new this year, I've probably already buddied you.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm in, third time in a row.

Username is bootysnatchers, the name of my first Nano story.

Two years ago, I took a week off and that enabled me to finish.

Last year, I had spinal surgery, and that bought me the time I needed.

This year, I just got laid off. MAN do I get all the luck or what?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I'm going to be the Debbie Downer here and drop a home truth about NaNo though: your finished product is gonna suck.

Truth right here. I completed the challenge in 2012, came back to the pile of words a few months later, and was so horrified I nearly deleted the whole thing immediately. Out of the 50k words of that mess, there's maybe 300 tops worth salvaging.

I'll take a shot at it again this year, because god knows I haven't written anything substantial in months. It's a good way to jump start the engine again.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

It looks as though the site has been updated, for those who haven't yet checked - you can now enter your 2014 novels and whatnot.

nael
Sep 10, 2009
I'm in this year. I want to finish a story I started for a novel writing workshop a few years ago. I can do that if I just use what I have + 50,000 words, right?

In under http://nanowrimo.org/participants/manic_wind

nael fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 14, 2014

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

Yes the 50k refers to what you write during nov, if it's a continuation that is fine as far as I know. Plenty of people do sequels, continues and rewrites.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
First time attempting to do such a thing. I am pretty much doing Code Geass but without magic superpowers and set in a still-colonial Africa in a world where the Great Wars never happened so most military buildups were used to quell nationalist revolts and America doesn't want poo poo to do with anyone. I have literally no idea what the meat of the story will be besides that there will be WWII bombers turning into robots and the grizzled mechanic pilot is our Lelouch analogue's mother all along. So it should go well!

is Sovereign Riser Malkia an okay name for a robutts story

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I'm going to try and work on the same idea that I wanted to work on last year, but due to a screenwriting class, I didn't get a chance to work on it. So I figured that this year would be the best.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

It's that time again.

This will be the tenth year for me participating (11 if you count my '04 failure) and likely, win #10. I'm still working on my other novels. This year I'm going to work on at least two projects, but the one officially on the site will be my Snow White retelling.

I look forward to all your copious haterade.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

Nethilia posted:

It's that time again.

This will be the tenth year for me participating (11 if you count my '04 failure) and likely, win #10. I'm still working on my other novels. This year I'm going to work on at least two projects, but the one officially on the site will be my Snow White retelling.

No hate here, that sounds interesting - how are you doing the retelling?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Two years in a row I meant to participate in this, and both times I remembered which month was NaNoWriMo about three days before the start of December. Because I am dumb. This time, I didn't forget.

Yet. :sg:

I decided to skip a silly/witty username.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/scott-webster

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tambaloneus posted:

Snow Black: Dwarves In Da Hood.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Just banged out some plot notes that should give me enough to work with, so I'm in:

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/cthulhucarl

Pike and Shot warfare and white phosphorous, sure why not?

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Tambaloneus posted:

Snow White is a black girl with vitiligo, the Seven Ds are a family where all their first names begin with D.

aslan
Mar 27, 2012

Tambaloneus posted:

Yes the 50k refers to what you write during nov, if it's a continuation that is fine as far as I know. Plenty of people do sequels, continues and rewrites.

Traditionally you're supposed to start from scratch, but they've gotten pretty lenient about it over the last few years (by which I mean they went from "Technically the rules are that you start with a brand new story, but nobody's sitting here checking" to "We think it works better if you start from scratch, but we don't really care").

For the past few years I've used the energy/momentum of it to push me to work on my ongoing YA novel, and inevitably I decide that this is the year that I'm finally close enough to the end that I'm going to power through to the finish, get 10-40,000 words down before realizing that I'm not any closer to finishing than I thought I was at the beginning of the month, and quit. So I'll probably do that again. Next year though!

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've taken the weeks (or months) leading up to Nano to flesh out my characters, plot, locations, series of events, scenes. Everything except the process of putting words to a page to tell the story. It worked for me. I didn't feel like I was fudging it. I let the idea percolate for awhile before jumping in.

This year, on day one, I'm thinking about checking out the MSWL (Manuscript Wish List) on Twitter, and write a story based on the first five posts there. Hell yes. Selling out.
https://twitter.com/hashtag/MSWL?src=hash

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I probably have most of you added as buddies already, but if not, here: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/nighthand

No idea what I'm going to write, if anything, this year. I want to, and it's probably going to be a superhero story, since I recently finished reading Worm and was heavily inspired. I can take the base I made with last year's nano and spin off of it.

The reason I'm not sure about writing this year is my actual writing career kind of took off ~6 months ago, and I currently write 90K-100K words per month in blog posts for cash. I spend a lot of my time working on those and a lot of the rest of my time relaxing and not writing, so adding NaNo on top will make things hectic.

Likewise, getting an Xbox One and the new Call of Duty, plus Binding of Isaac Rebirth coming out in the first week of the month is going to eat up even more of my time.

I guess what I'm saying is I should start getting up before noon, huh?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I'm going to write a story about a young boy living in Crimea during the late 19th century. His mother is dead and his father is distant. Every day he grubs for potatoes, breaking apart the ice with his bare hands before he digs through the freezing ground. Each potato must last his family a week. One day, the Tsar's men arrive in the town and begin to break down doors. They are looking for somebody. It will never be clear who. Just another empty year; devoid of warmth, love or answers.

Nah jokes I'm writing about werewolves WITH A TWIST.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Nethilia posted:

It's that time again.

:hfive: fellow 11th-but-really-10th anniversary buddy! Your story sounds really neat!

I'm just doing Digimon fanfic. :B

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I'm going to write a story about a young boy living in Crimea during the late 19th century. His mother is dead and his father is distant. Every day he grubs for potatoes, breaking apart the ice with his bare hands before he digs through the freezing ground. Each potato must last his family a week. One day, the Tsar's men arrive in the town and begin to break down doors. They are looking for somebody. It will never be clear who. Just another empty year; devoid of warmth, love or answers.

Nah jokes I'm writing about werewolves WITH A TWIST.
Potatowolves?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ayin posted:

Potatowolves?
Weretaters.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
http://nanowrimo.org/participants/weszor

Well, we'll see how this goes this year! Going to use this as an excuse to get away from editing and jumpstart the second novel of my trilogy. I only got about 14k last year, but that was a significant chunk out of a book I was working on already. This year will essentially be from scratch, so I'm going to give outlining a try to see how it goes. I tend to be pretty free and loose with creating a story, so actually planning out a novel could be either great or utterly disastrous.

Can't believe we're already here again. Feels like the last NaNoWriMo just ended.

nodon
Jul 25, 2014
It's cool to see mention of NanoWriMo here. Finished it in 2006, tried in 2007/2008, stopped trying after that. Whatever creative fires were in me back then have been banked. Good luck to all doing it this year.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Huh, their database seems to have wiped my account of the previous years' work. That's either a blessing or a curse.

I'm in. Why the hell not?

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/polymphus

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

I flamed out about a week in last year, but I have a better feeling about this year. Not having a story idea I dreamt up the night before probably helps.
I've taken to describing this year's story as The Swiss Family Robinson meets Nevil Shute's On the Beach. It will be slow and sad, and is destined to become an Australian classic since it's set in the bush.
http://nanowrimo.org/participants/hookshot

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
e-nvm

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013
I'm down. Should be fun, mostly just writing it as an exercise, gotta get back into the flow. Considering how loving bizarre my first nano novel was(a story about cosplayers who thought they were real people and went on adventureslulzrandomshit) I'm hoping for a more grounded experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

This year I finally think I'll have enough time to commit to this. I'm going to do it this year!

Or... I'm going to flame out horribly. But I'm at least going to start.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/baby-babbeh

• Locked thread