Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

How is the online?

I've had 10 1-on-1 For Glory matches so far and none of them had any noticeable lag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
The controls suck dick on DS ya'll

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

lelandjs posted:

How can you tell percentages?

Seriously, tell me where on this screen you see a percentage:

[Edit: Also I got in first try, hooray for wish list notifications]

I never noticed until last night, but I realized the background of the smash icon filled in from the bottom up as the download went along. When it was completely full it finished. I blew my own mind watching it download.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

The controls suck dick on DS ya'll

They're pretty good if you wipe the Cheetos grease off your paws.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bottom Liner posted:

The talking tiger keeps telling me to put that grease places though

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How's the game online and with local play? I heard there was a lot of hitching and disconnects but that was from GB's quick look a while back.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Bottom Liner posted:

They're really not. The DS dpad and stick make doing relatively simple maneuvers like short hop buster shots unreliable.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

They're really not. The DS dpad and stick make doing relatively simple maneuvers like short hop buster shots unreliable.

sorry to hear about your terminal up to jump sickness, Big Anime Fan Here

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I'm seriously considering turning off Tap Jump, as awkward as it will be for a bit, the 3DS stick is a tab bit more finicky than,say the Gamecube's and i somtimes end up using a jump when i don't want to.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
For Glory mode is pretty fun.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
These anime kids have such weird mechanics, Robin makes almost no sense to me.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I only have played the demo but as a non-smash bros player who rarely uses the 3DS I didn't have any trouble with the controls.

I think I'm going to get the full game later, though, as the demo was pretty fun. Do the coins you get from playing demo matches transfer to the full version in the NA version?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Mii Fighters are super fun, all their moves are cool even if some are not very great.

I made Nikki from swapnote(gunner, laser stuff), Professor Layton(sword, lots of movement and a counter), Gordon Freeman(gunner, explosives and reflect), and Cyclops from X-men but he is a brawler and all he does is punch. punchclops made it into smash, congrats.

also i went online as Dedede and won a lot, Dedede is good

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The first thing you should do is re-create the Smash roster with mii fighters.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Minrad posted:

sorry to hear about your terminal up to jump sickness, Big Anime Fan Here

Yes my heritage is in real fighting games

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
This box can't fill quickly enough. Looking forward to good times with great people.

And smashes. Definitely yes the smashes.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yes my heritage is in real fighting games

Just play the game more, the controls click after a couple of matches.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dunban posted:

I've had 10 1-on-1 For Glory matches so far and none of them had any noticeable lag.

I haven't played a single game without lag, how are you getting so lucky?

The game performs well usually, and then it becomes a power point presentation and never seems to really recover. I've had more lag free 4 player games online than 1v1s.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Sire Oblivion posted:

I haven't played a single game without lag, how are you getting so lucky?

The game performs well usually, and then it becomes a power point presentation and never seems to really recover. I've had more lag free 4 player games online than 1v1s.

It depends on the connection speed of all the players involved in the match, though it's weird that you had more lag free 4 player games than 1-on-1s. Maybe you were just unlucky and got paired with people with slow internet?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Maybe I'm getting paired with all of Japan at this hour.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

They're not good for the quick characters.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Aaaaaaaaand smash bros is available on the Australian eshop, time to cry at my terrible internet speeds. So excited!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I played only Villager in the demo but now I'm really liking Robin.

I disabled tap to jump so I need to retrain all over again as I keep falling to death.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Chaltab posted:

Is there a spreadsheet for friend codes like the one JordanKai made for NNIDs, or is there a thread for that?
Yes and no!

Spreadsheet, for more than Smash Bros
Google form to get yourself entered into abovementioned spreadsheet
(putting these in the OP would maybe not be the worst of ideas)

Got the game today and I'm going to stick with playing Mega Man for forever probably.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 3, 2014

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
I played for about 2 hours last night with the same (random) dude in a bunch of 1-on-1 For Glory matches. I tried out almost everyone on the roster that way. The game feels really good. 1v1 online is actually really smooth, I didn't notice any slowdown during my 20-something matches. 4 player free-for-all, on the other hand, was a ridiculously laggy mess.

I think all of the characters are really fun. Pacman especially, holy poo poo he's awesome. And I love that they've made a lot of the noises retro style; Kirby's inhale and copy SFX are practically NES. Peach's turnip pluck and throw are from SMB2. Literally everything Pacman and Megaman do have sounds ripped directly from their respective games.

Out of all the characters I played, my first impression is that Luigi/Yoshi/Dedede are really strong.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
In Europe here and I've only noticed lag on one or two games and I've been playing free for all against strangers. Compared to brawl's unplayable slide show, it's a big step up.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Trying to go online gives me error code 018-0516, anyone else experienced this? Google isn't helping.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Avalerion posted:

Trying to go online gives me error code 018-0516, anyone else experienced this? Google isn't helping.

Did you get the day one patch from the eshop?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

How's the game online and with local play? I heard there was a lot of hitching and disconnects but that was from GB's quick look a while back.
That turned out to be because GameSpot's staff were playing unpatched and Dan Rykert had the patched version (1.01). They still let you play together, but it runs like poo poo. Kinda dumb on Nintendo's part. Once everyone was on 1.01 everyone was solid.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Less than a day and I already have 9 of the unlockable fighters. Some of them were easy battles, some were rather annoying.

The Mii Fighters are pretty fun to use and I can't wait to unlock hats and costumes for all of them.

I struggled with 5.1 Intensity Master Core (the lowest Intensity where you get to fight Master Core, 5.0 and under means you can't fight it at all) as Mario, but I had no trouble winning against it with Luigi. Bowser is also very good against it, as I killed 7.0 Intensity Master Core with no KOs suffered on my part.

Also, the trophy descriptions own everything.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Strange request, but I'm not getting my Smash 3ds XL until a few days so in the meanwhile I thought I'd check out some gameplay videos/streams but... I have no idea where to start looking.

Anyone got any recommendations? Twitch/Youtube/whatever. 90% are complete poo poo, as I'm sure you're aware, which is why I'm asking here :negative:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

Did you get the day one patch from the eshop?

Yep so that's not it. :(

Edit: Actually looks like only for fun is having issues, just managed to connect to some for glory matches. :D

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 3, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I keep getting outfits for Swordfighters and Gunners and goddammit I want something for my Brawler. The one I actually use.

Also I didn't farm any of the characters and ended up getting all of them and all the stages pretty fast. Not used to that at all.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I would prefer to play smash with a real controller but the 3DS stick/buttons are fine for just having a chill time w/ the bros.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
Question: How does one charge Robin's other spells which aren't Thunder? I heard it's possible from somewhere, but perhaps I'm wrong.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Slur posted:

Question: How does one charge Robin's other spells which aren't Thunder? I heard it's possible from somewhere, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Thunder is the only one that charges.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Geight posted:

I would prefer to play smash with a real controller but the 3DS stick/buttons are fine for just having a chill time w/ the bros.

quick google search found this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seAI9W9SYjo

as much as that looks amazing, im not going to gently caress up my 3ds just for smash.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Blazing Zero posted:

quick google search found this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seAI9W9SYjo

as much as that looks amazing, im not going to gently caress up my 3ds just for smash.

yeah nah there's a handy console version that will come out one day so smash 3ds is just fine for now

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Blazing Zero posted:

That's pretty cool and cheap but since there's a whole WiiU version coming out I don't see the point of loving up your 3DS for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Golden Goat posted:

That's pretty cool and cheap but since there's a whole WiiU version coming out I don't see the point of loving up your 3DS for it.

maybe some people aren't ever going to own a wii u? i'm one of those people but i'm also never going to care that much about smash to do this. it is really rad that it exists though.

• Locked thread