Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That sure was a goony-looking king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

New update.

Chapter Six: Growing Up in the Middle Ages

Meet the new Khan of the Golden Horde - a heretical, brokenhearted, and lowborn Russian. (Jerusalem Playthrough)

I later opened up the dynasty mapmode.

Glory to the unnamed infants!

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 8, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
You should throw your tutor into prison and let her rot there until she dies.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Alright folks, new update.

Chapter Seven: Deus Vult!

That's a very feminine King you got there, Lithuania. (Jerusalem Playthrough)

One more thing. I'm trying to decide what to do for my next playthrough and I have three options for you to choose from.

A. Play as Poland in 1337 and try to create the Wendish Empire.

B. Play as Bulgaria in 1204 and crush the Byzantine and Latin Empires, create my own, and unite the Balkans.

C. Your own write in.

Voting ends in... let's say 48 hours.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

A please, I think you deserve a rest from romping around in the Balkans / Anatolia :v:

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
A sounds pretty entertaining, but are you interested at all in doing runs from the earlier start dates, like the 1066 or Old Gods or even Charlemagne start? If so, I'd probably have some write-in ideas.

Edit: spelling

juan fitzcarraldo
Aug 25, 2014

If you don't give me your support, I'll have to shit all over you. I don't want to do that but I can, and I will if I have to.
C. Jewish trade republic :jewish:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

juan fitzcarraldo posted:

C. Jewish trade republic :jewish:

C. This. Mazel tov!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
A It's too rare to see somebody play the Poles.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

Torrannor posted:

A It's too rare to see somebody play the Poles.

As much as I want the Jewish trade republic, this is true, nobody plays as Poland Stronk. A

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Sinner Sandwich posted:

A sounds pretty entertaining, but are you interested at all in doing runs from the earlier start dates, like the 1066 or Old Gods or even Charlemagne start? If so, I'd probably have some write-in ideas.

Edit: spelling

I'm doing the later start dates so I can avoid having to learn the new tribal mechanics try out new situations and kings. You're welcome to suggest an earlier start date. And you guys have about 32 hours or so left to vote, so get to it.

Epilogue: The Scream and the End of the World

You and me both, Leo. (Jerusalem Playthrough)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yeah, just don't ever agree to the AI giving out your titles. I don't even know if they do it better if the characters that ask you have good traits (just, diligent, honest, etc.). But it's just never a good idea and I don't understand why Paradox added this to the game.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, just don't ever agree to the AI giving out your titles. I don't even know if they do it better if the characters that ask you have good traits (just, diligent, honest, etc.). But it's just never a good idea and I don't understand why Paradox added this to the game.

The system is basically hosed. I managed to end up giving out titles for my liege at one point, and it was terrible. I just got three choices, "best pick", "second best pick" and "third best pick", with it being completely opaque as to just why these people are the "best" for those titles. Even worse, they don't even "link" the choice to the character so that you can look at their stats beforehand, you just have to go by the name.

And what's even worse, I had absolutely no way to pocket anything for me. What the gently caress, that was the one thing I was looking forward to!

EDIT: Ah, I guess you only get to do that if you're Greedy, Ambitious, Envious, Deceitful or Arbitrary. loving enforced roleplaying based around random chance.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 10, 2014

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Voting so far:

Poland 1337: 4
Bulgaria 1204: 0
Jewish Merchant Republic: 2

Voting ends in 14 hours

I managed to get my old India file from my old broken down computer to my new one, and I decided to see how it runs with Charlemagne. I ended up having to hand out every kingdom title I had to get under the vassal limit, but I think overall I'm more powerful.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

+1 for Jewish merchant republic

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Jewish merchant republic would be more fun than Poland so I change my vote :v:

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Jewish Merchants, for great Justice

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I vote on the jewish one.

juan fitzcarraldo
Aug 25, 2014

If you don't give me your support, I'll have to shit all over you. I don't want to do that but I can, and I will if I have to.

Camoes posted:

I vote on the jewish one.

Lynneth posted:

Jewish Merchants, for great Justice

RabidWeasel posted:

Jewish merchant republic would be more fun than Poland so I change my vote :v:

Nth Doctor posted:

+1 for Jewish merchant republic

!דוד מלך ישראל חי וקיים

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Jewish merchant republic. Since everyone thinks we own the world anyway, why not make it a reality?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jewish merchants, who buy up all of Poland.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Jewish Merchant Republic. We're approaching a minyan in favour.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Given that we've got an overwhelming vote for the Jewish Merchant Republic, I'm closing the vote now.

I'm going to need some time editing one of my save files to make this work, though. And I've some school stuff to work on.

Anyways, who's ready for the Jewish Republic of Ireland, 866?

edit: I've got part of it done, going to sleep now.

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 11, 2014

juan fitzcarraldo
Aug 25, 2014

We're gonna need a more Jewish sounding dynasty name. How about Zebulun? They were one of the original twelve tribes, and they were known as financiers of Torah students. i.e. "Here's some money, now keep studying for the both of us"

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

That sounds like a good backstory, but I feel that has to do with more of our culture than our dynasty name. I mean Ashkenazi Jews refers to Germanic Jews and Sephardi refers to Iberian Jews, so what should our Irish Jews be called?

Alright, got a task for you guys: Think of Irish dynasty names for our Jewish Patrician families. They should sound Jewish and Irish.

You have about 12 hours.

Also I think I'll have to mod a new culture if we make a new Jewish one and incorporate that with the edited save game file somehow. (I'm just getting the hang of this modding thing.)

juan fitzcarraldo
Aug 25, 2014

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

That sounds like a good backstory, but I feel that has to do with more of our culture than our dynasty name. I mean Ashkenazi Jews refers to Germanic Jews and Sephardi refers to Iberian Jews, so what should our Irish Jews be called?

Alright, got a task for you guys: Think of Irish dynasty names for our Jewish Patrician families. They should sound Jewish and Irish.

You have about 12 hours.

Also I think I'll have to mod a new culture if we make a new Jewish one and incorporate that with the edited save game file somehow. (I'm just getting the hang of this modding thing.)

Uh...Kilkenneberg? Limerickson? Guinnesstein?

Also why is the entirety of Ireland Jewish in that map? A bit much isn't it?

And the Irish are considered Ashkenazi, as are the English Jews. Sephardi refers to Spanish and most of North Africa. Mizrahi are Middle-Eastern, excluding Iranian who are Parsim (which just means Persian).

Consider Guinnesstein my official submission.

edit: and for the family coat of arms a foaming beer mug?

juan fitzcarraldo fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 11, 2014

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

O'Goldstein
MacNetanyahu
Jameson Ben Israel

I'm not very good at this.

juan fitzcarraldo
Aug 25, 2014

ninjahedgehog posted:

O'Goldstein
MacNetanyahu
Jameson Ben Israel

I'm not very good at this.

I'm diggin O'Goldstein. How about MacBibi?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Aaron

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
MacAbraham
Cohenulainn
MacCabee

juan fitzcarraldo
Aug 25, 2014

How do you guys feel about drafting some sort of constitution for our Republic? Something to limit the scope of our LP so that it keeps to its own character, and doesn't become another world conquest LP. I already have a few ideas.

AJ_Impy posted:

Cohenulainn
MacCabee

MacAbbé

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Ua Fein

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

How do you guys feel about drafting some sort of constitution for our Republic? Something to limit the scope of our LP so that it keeps to its own character, and doesn't become another world conquest LP. I already have a few ideas.

I don't plan on a world conquest, but I do have several objectives:

1. Don't be wiped out by the Christians via crusades and survive until 1453.

2. Take control of the British Isles.

3. Send expeditionary force to reclaim Israel.

4. Reclaim the other holy sites.

I'm not Wiz, so don't expect masterful displays of skill in the face of overwhelming odds.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I put forward Feldchon, Garadharel, & Ui Faelgravitz

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

How's this for our coat of arms?

We have the scales representing our banking and thus our economic power, we have a lion representing the fact that we will not allow people to take our land from us again, a dove to show that Jews can live here in peace, and red to represent our slain brethren. I don't know what the white represents, other than it looks good with the gold parts, which stand for our money.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Voting Closed

Our new Patrician Families:

Zebulun (Us)
MacAbbé
Ua Fein
O'Goldstein (Love this one, even if it sounds cheesy)
Garadharel

I should have a 867 state of the world (this is a continuation of a Charlemagne file, not an Old Gods start) tomorrow or the day after, just need to make some more adjustments.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

How's this for our coat of arms?

We have the scales representing our banking and thus our economic power, we have a lion representing the fact that we will not allow people to take our land from us again, a dove to show that Jews can live here in peace, and red to represent our slain brethren. I don't know what the white represents, other than it looks good with the gold parts, which stand for our money.

Maybe make the red half blue instead? I don't know how long blue has been a traditional Jewish symbol, but I think it's mentioned in the Torah somewhere.

juan fitzcarraldo
Aug 25, 2014

The lion could also represent the kingdom of Judah, and the dove with the olive branch is a biblical symbol, so they both work well.

Some ideas for our constitution:

I. People of the Book: learning trait is a high priority. Children must be tutored by people with a high learning trait, preferably a rabbi.

II. Liberation not Conquest: we are not a conquering people, or a great empire. We can capture territory outside of Ireland (or whatever boundary you guys want to set) whenever it is politically expedient for us, given that we immediately grant them independence after setting up our own favorable Jewish rulers.

III. Divine Contract: anyone in our dynasty who it is discovered has converted to another faith must be dealt with severely.

just a couple ideas.

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010
I'm not sure if a constitution is going to happen, but I had the following idea:

IV. Rule of the People: All count and above level titles must be held by republican leaders (i.e. no Feudal/Religion vassals above baron/bishop).

For article II, I'd suggest making it 'within 50 years' or similar (i.e. having allowed time for armies to recover and nationalism to be removed) so that we don't just release states which have no ability to defend themselves. Given my rule IV this would also mean that we'd be introducing a load of competitor merchant republics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Tutorial Island really is the best for these sort of 'Fish out of water' runs, and they only got better with the new tribal mechanics. (Though the AI seems annoyingly reluctant to settle tribe sometimes, as long as you get one it will happen eventually, hopefully before the inevitable liberation revolt)

Biggest annoyance is usually keeping up MA so far from your holy sites if there's no religion head, which basically means unreformed pagans are hosed unless your compatriots way far away are on the ball, as my latest Zunbil from afar showed me. Them being tribal does mean they get to raid though, thank gently caress.

And, heh, it's kinda amusing how the lack of attention for non-Christian republics also extend to Jewish ones, as they can't borrow, can't pilgrim it up or tournament. I usually set them up in Socotra, then sometimes consoled as them when I got bored of beating my head against the muslim blob. (Or wanted to try for some India land; that Jain outcropping, followed by the Island then Sri Lanka is pretty amusing, especially if you decide to give them to one of your sons and indy him, because he then can call on you and your dad the king of Nubia.)

I. People of the Book: learning trait is a high priority. Children must be tutored by people with a high learning trait, preferably a rabbi.
The problem with this (aside from the usual problem of having others educate your kids) is that they're often Zealous (which makes for the worst drat tutors) and chaste (which combined with monogamy and the fertility penalty from the Learning educations can make for some tiny dynasties).

But looking at that pic he's already posted, seems that won't really be a problem; it's mostly a problem at the very beginning when you have a tiny drat court and no family.

• Locked thread