Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, the effects have been kind of inconsistent. Like the tornado looked good and the Flash running around it was fine but the shot inside of the Weather Wizard looked really crappy and flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

imperialparadox posted:

His cop buddy knows who he is. :v:

Which is another great thing Arrow brought to this genre, no bullshit secret ID from EVERYONE crap, tell your dear friends who have proven their loyalty to you, that's super logical.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Why doesn't he break his Dad out of jail now?

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Which is another great thing Arrow brought to this genre, no bullshit secret ID from EVERYONE crap, tell your dear friends who have proven their loyalty to you, that's super logical.

THANK YOU. That feels super catahrtic to have someone agree.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

PaganGoatPants posted:

Well that would be against the law, and Barry isn't going to do that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PaganGoatPants posted:

Because he's the good guy, and that would make him and his dad fugitives?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Man, the effects have been kind of inconsistent. Like the tornado looked good and the Flash running around it was fine but the shot inside of the Weather Wizard looked really crappy and flat.

In general, all the close-up effects shots look weird. Just stick to the wide shots, show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Superhero Music!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wait, did they just reveal Ed was Reverse Flash?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Spergatory posted:

In general, all the close-up effects shots look weird. Just stick to the wide shots, show.

Yea, agree with that, the show is best served with big wide shots of Flash being badass, closeups seem to be the weak point here.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Braille wall!

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo son.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

I already knew about this part but drat if it's not awesome in action.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Holy poo poo... future news!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
:allears: The Crisis

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Haha did NOT expect that, nicely done show!

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Wait, did they just reveal Ed was Reverse Flash?

If so, that "run, Barry, run" line takes on a whole new meaning.

Also, Crisis confirmed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Technogeek posted:

If so, that "run, Barry, run" line takes on a whole new meaning.

Also, Crisis confirmed.

I'm so loving happy right now, this just got amazing.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Looks like extended premiere just meant 'relative to other episodes'. drat.

Cool trailer though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I missed it this time, but I believe there's a Batman reference on that newspaper too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh god don’t call him the Streak though are you kidding me

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I thought the first episode was good, but it wasn't even close to Arrow levels of amazingness. It's lacking the complex, likable characters Arrow has as well as a lot of the emotional depth and resonance. Why does Barry decide to be a hero/vigilante? Because it's the "right" thing to do? Because he has superpowers now so why the hell not? I'm sort of confused about his motivation.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Holy poo poo, that was a hell of a trailer, now I'm even more excited about where it looks like this show is going.

There is no :flashfap: big enough.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The preview looked amazing. It seems as if they have several different superspeed gimmick effects throughout the season.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Acquilae posted:

Braille wall!

Do we know what that means? In like a "spoilery" sense?

Also, I wasn't quite expecting that kind of reveal so soon

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BrianWilly posted:

Oh god don’t call him the Streak though are you kidding me

They're gonna, it sucks but it's gonna happen. Didn't it take Arrow a season before he went from 'the vigilante' to 'the arrow'? Barry has to accept his role as a super hero and give himself his own identity, that's a legit 'thing' that has to happen beyond being a fanboy nod.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Captain Mog posted:

I thought the first episode was good, but it wasn't even close to Arrow levels of amazingness. It's lacking the complex, likable characters Arrow has as well as a lot of the emotional depth and resonance. Why does Barry decide to be a hero/vigilante? Because it's the "right" thing to do? Because he has superpowers now so why the hell not? I'm sort of confused about his motivation.

Wasn't Arrow kind of flat and only got good during Season 2?

We're not getting Barry's full character later down the road, I should think.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Also just found this article about the final scene reveal:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/08/the-flash-lets-talk-about-that-big-twist

It confirms that Wells is probably not Professor Zoom, that time travel is going to be A Thing in season 1, and that there is a reasonably good chance that we will encounter Booster Gold later on.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Captain Mog posted:

:rolleyes: It's been one episode. As pilots go, I'll take this one over Arrow's to be honest.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I have no idea what to make of that reveal, but I'm really looking forward to finding out.

This episode really set up the two key ingredients for a superhero series: a reason for villains of the week to pop up and a larger mystery to solve.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Captain Mog posted:

Its basically because, aside of being inclined to help people since he was a kid anyway, he's a cop. So learning that for the last nine months there's been nutjobs running around with superpowers, with scores of people dead or missing, with nothing to stop them, he decides he's going to change that, even if going beyond the strict boundaries of his job.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

I missed it this time, but I believe there's a Batman reference on that newspaper too.

Yeah, there was a line about Wayne-Tech teaming up with someone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We actually got a good bit of development for Barry in the Arrow episodes he appeared in.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, there was a line about Wayne-Tech teaming up with someone.

That they were merging with Queen Consolidated, if I remember correctly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Spergatory posted:

:rolleyes: It's been one episode. As pilots go, I'll take this one over Arrow's to be honest.

Yea if we count his Arrow appearances I'd say Barry's in a super strong place to hit the ground running. The pilot set him up well. Barry Allen isn't a hero out of guilt and anger like Arrow, he's a hero because he's just loving noble, he gets told 'you'll probably die' and goes 'gotta try at least' because that's who he is. It was SUPER important to set the tone different than Arrow and they did that perfectly in that scene I think.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Aphrodite posted:

We actually got a good bit of development for Barry in the Arrow episodes he appeared in.

Is there a summary of that stuff somewhere? I never watched Arrow, but I'm going to try to keep up with this.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Also here's a (non-youtube) link to the trailer for the series:

https://t.co/esKmevTMug

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Is there a summary of that stuff somewhere? I never watched Arrow, but I'm going to try to keep up with this.

It wasn't a ton if I remember right, basically just established he's a good guy, he has a strong sense of right and wrong and doesn't like seeing people get hurt. It was generic super hero foundation but it got a lot of the grunt work out of the way.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

The main thing that this kind of glossed over is Barry's obsession with weird crimes.

Also, nice to see the show keeping the DC tradition of the kindly mentor scientist in the wheelchair is actually evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The main thing that this kind of glossed over is Barry's obsession with weird crimes.

Also, nice to see the show keeping the DC tradition of the kindly mentor scientist in the wheelchair is actually evil.

Oh yea, Barry loves weird/unsolved crimes with suspicious circumstances because, ya know, his mom.

• Locked thread