Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, might I say that bit after "Run, Barry, Run" looks like they just directly transplanted Flash into a live action universe. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Deadpool posted:

This is the kind of stuff I really don't want this thread to get dragged into talking about. If you want to know more about the Crisis and the red skies just Google it. There's no reason to bring this kind of thing into the thread after one episode of the show. Talk more about how cool the pilot was and less about Barry Allen/Crisis comic stuff.

Sorry I tried to keep it as minimal as possible but yea, shoulda just said google since it looks like Barry Allen's wiki page has a whole chunk all about Crisis on Infinite Earths. My bad!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Deadpool posted:

This is the kind of stuff I really don't want this thread to get dragged into talking about. If you want to know more about the Crisis and the red skies just Google it. There's no reason to bring this kind of thing into the thread after one episode of the show. Talk more about how cool the pilot was and less about Barry Allen/Crisis comic stuff.

There's no way in hell the last 20+ years of comic semi-continuity will be brought into the show. Like Arrow, they'll take iconic ideas and characters and make them their own (i.e Solomon Grundy from Arrow done in a new way), rather then like how Gotham just desperately name drops Batman references at every turn. Plus Crisis has become the shorthand for any major DC event, so it could mean a million different things.

The Wayne Tech/Queen Inc merger hint was really surprising, because I don't know how anyone else can read that as anything other then "Hey, we want to add Batman".

It's amazing how good this was for a pilot, especially 4 weeks after watching the hilarious mess that is Gotham. There are a lot of other good Justice League big names the CW could bring in; Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Atom, Hawkman, etc. who are huge comic book heroes but have almost no exposure outside of that medium, no one squatting on the rights (like Marvel and AoS), and just huge potential for good writers to create their own universe.

I would love for Batman to show up in a minor way on Arrow, but Fox holds on to those rights so tightly I'm amazed they allowed a mention of Wayne in a DC comic themed show.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Looks like there's a proper preview for the next episode, different from the fancy trailer they played at the end of this one.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
That was like the Anti-Smallvile show, Suit in the first episode instead of the last, someone important finds out Barry's secret right away, he tries to help out and a guy gets killed and he is over it in 3 minutes instead of 16 episodes, a pretty likable and upbeat hero, and most important it was just really fun. It is nice to see CW do something with a superhero that is so different from Arrow, but still turn out great.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

pentyne posted:

Plus Crisis has become the shorthand for any major DC event, so it could mean a million different things.

I'm pretty sure the "red skies" part is associated almost exclusively with the original Crisis on Infinite Earths, though.

EDIT: I mean, I'd love it if they find a way to justify the different movie/film/whatever universes as still being part of a DC multiverse, but I'm guessing they'll probably do their own spin on the Crisis anyway.

Technogeek fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 8, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

BrianWilly posted:

Looks like there's a proper preview for the next episode, different from the fancy trailer they played at the end of this one.

Okay, so Cisco's going to name all the villains and clearly loves "Captain Descriptor," which neatly explains "Captain Cold" and "Captain Boomerang"

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

BrianWilly posted:

This is so rad. God I love this show already.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

So that's clearly Multiplex as the villain right? I knew they were eventually doing Firestorm but I didn't know about using Firestorm's enemies this early.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Deadpool posted:

So that's clearly Multiplex as the villain right? I knew they were eventually doing Firestorm but I didn't know about using Firestorm's enemies this early.

It might also be Mirror Master, since he has shown the ability to duplicate himself in the comics.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Technogeek posted:

It might also be Mirror Master, since he has shown the ability to duplicate himself in the comics.

The episode summary says his name is Danton Black though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I pretty much know nothing about DC's modern television offerings and I thought this felt in many ways like a modern take on Lois & Clark in terms of the sets and the visual look. That said, I couldn't be happier that they're not cringing away from the balls-out craziness of the comic books - throwing in references to Grodd and Zoom and the loving Infinite Crisis of all things? That's great - don't be scared of your bizarre source material and just run with it (no pun intended).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I pretty much know nothing about DC's modern television offerings and I thought this felt in many ways like a modern take on Lois & Clark in terms of the sets and the visual look. That said, I couldn't be happier that they're not cringing away from the balls-out craziness of the comic books - throwing in references to Grodd and Zoom and the loving Infinite Crisis of all things? That's great - don't be scared of your bizarre source material and just run with it (no pun intended).

Wrong Crisis.

Understandable though, trying to suddenly jump into the last 20-25 years of DC comics, or comics in general is almost impossible without reading a few dozen graphic novel paperbacks, reading comprehensive wiki articles, and following any franchise wide event.

DC and Marvel have the same problem with how completely inaccessible their continuity is to new readers which is why "new" series like Marvel Ultimates sold so well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jerusalem posted:

I pretty much know nothing about DC's modern television offerings and I thought this felt in many ways like a modern take on Lois & Clark in terms of the sets and the visual look.
Being a CW show they're very constrained by their budget.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Hahahaha. "GET THAT MAN A CLONE" is the best villain intro tag in history.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
I hope they lay off the cheesy 70's zoomed in face shots while he's running and just do the blurry wider shots.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

TowerofOil posted:

I hope they lay off the cheesy 70's zoomed in face shots while he's running and just do the blurry wider shots.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

TowerofOil posted:

There's a cool looking slow-mo one in the long preview though. :v:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

If we get just a little higher res we should be able to make out a lot of that text, especially the Wayne stuff. Something about DNA?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is it supposed to be legible?

I also think you'd have to use a looping video/GIF to be able to see all the text, as it gets more and less legible during the sequence.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ufarn posted:

Is it supposed to be legible?

I also think you'd have to use a looping video/GIF to be able to see all the text, as it gets more and less legible during the sequence.

I don't think it's supposed to be but it's clearly not just random words or the same words over and over again. I mean, it's probably just some kind of filler text pulled out of like an encyclopedia entry about bridges or whatever but it'd be cool to see for sure.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

That doesn't look like Gustin Grant under the mask.

I could be seeing poo poo, but it kinda looks like Ed

EDIT: Also, ten years from now, I don't expect to have holographic newspapers, do you?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Jerusalem posted:

Does this mean you haven't seen Arrow? because if so this is a serious quality of life flaw that needs to be rectified at the earliest possible opportunity.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

That doesn't look like Gustin Grant under the mask.

I could be seeing poo poo, but it kinda looks like Ed

EDIT: Also, ten years from now, I don't expect to have holographic newspapers, do you?
Just looks like a half-assed attempt to age Gustin ten years to me. The show really likes Adobe After Effects by the look of it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

pentyne posted:

The Wayne Tech/Queen Inc merger hint was really surprising, because I don't know how anyone else can read that as anything other then "Hey, we want to add Batman".

They can say whatever they wanted in that paper because Barry will probably change that future.

quote:

I would love for Batman to show up in a minor way on Arrow, but Fox holds on to those rights so tightly I'm amazed they allowed a mention of Wayne in a DC comic themed show.

Fox doesn't have the Batman rights. They have a deal to make Gotham.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If the CW made Batman he'd be a shirtless brooding 18-year-old.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think I may end up liking this show more than Arrow. The pilot had a few shaky scenes but for the most part it was solid and got me excited for a superhero I know almost nothing about.

I'll admit that I'm a sucker for time travel, despite how awfully it's frequently handled. Here's hoping they have something interesting planned.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I spent a while trying to decode some of the braile walls but it seems to be mostly gibberish. For one, if it's anything close to legible it's rotated 90 degrees and mirrored. The highlighted line here, for example, repeats the text "QZQÉF5G", and yes I mean É and not E. The line to the left of the highlighted repeats "NúG5JËúG5J"

If there's a code, I'm not going to bother to find it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We're just assuming it's Braille anyway. It might just be a bumpy room.

Supervillain wants a secret bump room, what's the big deal?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My enjoyment of this series is going to be based on one thing. How well they handle the Rogues.

Since those preview pictures of Wentworth Miller as Leonard Snart/Captain Cold came out yesterday, I can’t wait for his debut. They definitely managed to nail the ‘look’ while keeping it non over-the-top for television.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

It's a torture chamber for Daredevil.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Aphrodite posted:

I mean, it's very clearly meant to resemble braile, so it would suprise me if there wasnt a little easter egg in there somewhere

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Fenris13 posted:

That was like the Anti-Smallvile show, Suit in the first episode instead of the last, someone important finds out Barry's secret right away, he tries to help out and a guy gets killed and he is over it in 3 minutes instead of 16 episodes, a pretty likable and upbeat hero, and most important it was just really fun. It is nice to see CW do something with a superhero that is so different from Arrow, but still turn out great.

I love that this show looks like it's going to basically be the opposite of Arrow in terms of tone. Should make for an interesting contrast on the crossover episodes. I especially like that several people already know his identity, instead of turning this discovery into a long, drawn out process. Basically the cop's daughter is the only person that doesn't know.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TowerofOil posted:

God yes, those were SO BAD in Smallville. Works great in slo-mo, terrible in superspeed.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Why would ANY newspaper talk about economy on the front page when the world is about to end? :psyduck:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

imperialparadox posted:

I love that this show looks like it's going to basically be the opposite of Arrow in terms of tone. Should make for an interesting contrast on the crossover episodes. I especially like that several people already know his identity, instead of turning this discovery into a long, drawn out process. Basically the cop's daughter is the only person that doesn't know.

The producers said all the right things about this very thing in an interview recently.

quote:

One of the things they're definitely not waiting around for is a full-fledged crossover with "Arrow," which is scheduled to take place during the eighth episodes of both shows this season. "The Flash" episode is titled "The Flash vs. Arrow," certainly suggesting conflict; while the "Arrow" installment is dubbed "The Brave and the Bold," a name used by DC Comics over the decades for superhero team-ups.

"I think when you do episodes -- and I don't say this pejoratively -- that have a gimmick like that, the best thing you can do is that it's not just the gimmick," Kreisberg said. "It's also advancing the storylines that we've been telling, and that your characters really grow. These aren't just about the crossovers of the cast. They really are very important episodes for what Barry's going through, what Oliver's going through -- we have one of the biggest surprises on 'Arrow' of all time in 'The Flash' episode."

It's a chance to advance the storylines, but as Gustin points out, also an opportunity to have fun with the characters interacting in their shared but very different worlds.

"David Ramsey [who plays Diggle on 'Arrow'], in our 'Flash' episode, is funnier than he's ever been, because what he's seeing is blowing his mind," Gustin said.

"When we were working on the script, we sort of realized that the best version of 'The Flash' part of the episode was almost this meta-commentary on how serious everyone is on 'Arrow.' There's a lot of jokes at Oliver's expense on The Flash side of it," Kreisberg said. "When we went to go do the 'Arrow' side of it, it became the reverse" -- where Barry, Caitlin and Cisco are thrust into a "very dark, twisted episode" of "Arrow."

"It's the same show," he continued. "'The Flash' episode feels like an episode of 'Flash,' and the 'Arrow' episode feels like an episode of 'Arrow,' even though you've got characters from both crossing over."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

imperialparadox posted:

"Whatever you do, you need to make sure that your basically-sister never finds out. There's no possible way this can end badly and I have never watched a TV show in my life."

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Deadpool posted:

As for when they're going to get to Firestorm, Robbie Amell posted "see you in episode 3" on his Facebook right before the Flash premiere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Bruceski posted:

If the CW made Batman he'd be a shirtless brooding 18-year-old.

They did alright with green arrow and flash. Why not batman?

• Locked thread