Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
New 1 minute promo is already up on youtube

gently caress they call him the Streak and the Blur.

I hope someone calls him something different literally every single time they refer to him.

The Flurry
The Rusher
The Track
The Racer
The Roadrunner

I'm already out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Astro Nut posted:

Its basically because, aside of being inclined to help people since he was a kid anyway, he's a cop. So learning that for the last nine months there's been nutjobs running around with superpowers, with scores of people dead or missing, with nothing to stop them, he decides he's going to change that, even if going beyond the strict boundaries of his job.

It's also to clear his dad's name probably.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BrianWilly posted:

I hope someone calls him something different literally every single time they refer to him.

The Flurry
The Rusher
The Track
The Racer
The Roadrunner

I'm already out.

The Speedster, come on son.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

The Flurry
The Rusher
The Track
The Racer
The Roadrunner

I'm already out.

I'm torn between wanting to stay as far away from "The Red-Yellow Blur" as possible, and wanting someone to suggest it only to be immediately shot down.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It wasn't a ton if I remember right, basically just established he's a good guy, he has a strong sense of right and wrong and doesn't like seeing people get hurt. It was generic super hero foundation but it got a lot of the grunt work out of the way.

He discovered Oliver's identity on his own? was he there on his own accord to figure it out because it was "weird" or was it because he works for the cops?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The Speedster, come on son.

Scarlet Speedster, please

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

My favorite part of the pilot is how quickly The Flash has a team to help him out. Arrow spent a good part of the first seasons slowly building up his support team - and The Flash goes "We know you've seen that, moving on!"

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Well, looking ahead, the title of episode six is 'The Flash is Born', so I think we should be safe to see the name pop up by that point.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

He discovered Oliver's identity on his own? was he there on his own accord to figure it out because it was "weird" or was it because he works for the cops?

There was a weird superpower crime in the Arrow-verse, Barry heard about it (somehow) and shirked work to go investigate. Him being late to the crime scene in this episode was actually him coming back from Starling City after his boss chewed him out.

And yes, he knows about Ollie, but he didn't figure it out. They told him because they needed him to treat Oliver for some kind of weird poisoning and they had nobody else to turn to.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Oliver was poisoned and they needed someone with a good medical background who would be discreet about it so Felicity and Diggle knocked Barry out and took him to their base. Barry was established as kind of a huge fan of the Arrow throughout the ep and the reveal shot where he wake up next to Oliver in the costume was pretty cool.

Also Barry makes Oliver a mask he can use instead of his typical facepaint.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Captain Mog posted:

I thought the first episode was good, but it wasn't even close to Arrow levels of amazingness. It's lacking the complex, likable characters Arrow has as well as a lot of the emotional depth and resonance. Why does Barry decide to be a hero/vigilante? Because it's the "right" thing to do? Because he has superpowers now so why the hell not? I'm sort of confused about his motivation.

As much as I liked Arrow's pilot this one feels more like a pilot that's pretty sure of the kind of show it wants to be. While Arrow is kind of making up for things he and his family caused you're seeing Barry become a hero for two reasons. One is that he has cool powers and it's something he wants to do. Two is that it can help him solve the crime that's plagued him for years. I think you're going to find that this show is different from Arrow in a lot of ways and it should be. If it's just a carbon copy of Arrow there's no need for it.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Spergatory posted:

There was a weird superpower crime in the Arrow-verse, Barry heard about it (somehow) and shirked work to go investigate. Him being late to the crime scene in this episode was actually him coming back from Starling City after his boss chewed him out.

And yes, he knows about Ollie, but he didn't figure it out. They told him because they needed him to treat Oliver for some kind of weird poisoning and they had nobody else to turn to.

Zaggitz posted:

Oliver was poisoned and they needed someone with a good medical background who would be discreet about it so Felicity and Diggle knocked Barry out and took him to their base. Barry was established as kind of a huge fan of the Arrow throughout the ep and the reveal shot where he wake up next to Oliver in the costume was pretty cool.

Also Barry makes Oliver a mask he can use instead of his typical facepaint.

Thanks!

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
"My daughter can NEVER know you're a super hero. It isn't safe."

#UltimateHeroCockBlock

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
It's actually super refreshing and just completely different in tone to Arrow, cause the first season is all about Vengeance, and Barry just legitimately wants to help other human beings and is a decent person and other than what happened with his mother was just like a good person his whole life.

That's pretty loving awesome and I hope there's no brooding or bullshit like that, I'm sure there will be but I am hoping it's not.

Barry Allen acts the way Superman should have acted, is what I'm saying.

Barry's mother was murdered by a unknown force and his father was wrongfully convicted of the crime, he was raised by his foster dad a cop , and then went into FORENSIC SCIENCE! or specifically evidence. Gee I wonder if there is a connection??

You don't really need one it's laid out pretty clear where Barry's motivation comes from.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 8, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hollismason posted:

Barry Allen acts the way Superman should have acted, is what I'm saying.

Superman should've had Chris Meloni kill Zod for him?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It is morally preferable, in fact. Stabler, and Detective West, are sanctioned by the law of the land, as decreed and upheld by the populace, to use deadly force if necessary. Vigilantes aren't.

e: Not that Superman did anything "wrong" in the situation but there it's a question of accountability.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 8, 2014

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
Is there any difference between the leaked and the actual airing of the pilot?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cute n Popular posted:

If there were they were minor enough that people didn't really notice.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cute n Popular posted:

From what I understand, nope.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The pilot seemed to move really quickly to get all that stuff in, but it was okay. I really liked the wheelchair guy enter his secret room and stand up. Clever, and a good way to get some sympathy by appearing to also be a victim.

Jax-Guy1
Apr 25, 2011
First of all, I loved the pilot. It seems like the speed effects look great when in wide-shot but kind of clunky when in close-up on Barry's face. The shot of Barry right after Wells says "Run, Barry, run!" was incredible in my opinion. It was dynamic, felt really fast, and the music pulled it all together. Also, I'm sure that was completely digital with no Grant Gustin. I think if they're able to use those bits at the right times this show could look routinely amazing.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
That pilot was fun as hell!

Also people have said that the "run, barry, run" line could have extra meaning or something since wheelchair man is evil or at the very least untrustworthy. If it's not too comics spergy can somebody explain that? My knowledge of Flash is pretty limited outside of the major stuff.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

The Flurry
The Rusher
The Track
The Racer
The Roadrunner

I'm already out.

The Red Yellow blur :suicide:

I am loving hype as hell for this season and show, goddamn :flashfap:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Also people have said that the "run, barry, run" line could have extra meaning or something since wheelchair man is evil or at the very least untrustworthy. If it's not too comics spergy can somebody explain that? My knowledge of Flash is pretty limited outside of the major stuff.

I may be misremembering, but I think it's what his father tells him when his mom is inside the weird whirlwind (right before he pops up outside).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

As much as I liked Arrow's pilot this one feels more like a pilot that's pretty sure of the kind of show it wants to be. While Arrow is kind of making up for things he and his family caused you're seeing Barry become a hero for two reasons. One is that he has cool powers and it's something he wants to do. Two is that it can help him solve the crime that's plagued him for years. I think you're going to find that this show is different from Arrow in a lot of ways and it should be. If it's just a carbon copy of Arrow there's no need for it.

It's got a lot more confidence. The CW probably wanted to play safer with an untested property. And remember we all thought Arrow was going to suck when it was announced. After Arrow turned put to be both popular and good they could not worry about it landing as much.

It's weird, every superhero show that has or is coming out, Constantine, Gotham, SHIELD, Arrow, etc. has been met with a lot of skepticism by fans. As far as I can tell, everyone has been hype as poo poo since Flash was announced.

Also, one day Barry must learn that he can,t solve every problem by running around it real fast the opposite direction.

Jax-Guy1
Apr 25, 2011

drat, this feels heroic and inspiring.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Saw the pilot, was fun as all hell. Stinger at the end nailed it too :flashfap: Does anyone know what the "Red (Crimson?) Skies Vanish" headline on the :science:future newspaper:science: might be referring to? All in all I think this is going to be a fun show, and I can't wait to see where they're going to go with the whole "Wells can walk and has knowledge of future events" thing (most likely gonna take it into Flashpoint territory).

E: Does the explanation that Barry gave when figuring out that the getaway car was a Shelby GT500 count as :flashfact:Flash Facts:flashfact:?

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 8, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh it's probably some villiain turning the sun red to kill Superman.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Scyantific posted:

Saw the pilot, was fun as all hell. Stinger at the end nailed it too :flashfap: Does anyone know what the "Red (Crimson?) Skies Vanish" headline on the :science:future newspaper:science: might be referring to? All in all I think this is going to be a fun show, and I can't wait to see where they're going to go with the whole "Wells can walk and has knowledge of future events" thing (most likely gonna take it into Flashpoint territory).

A lot of that was reference to Crisis on Infinite Earths, if you want to know more you can Google that. But that's one of the things that shouldn't really be touched on too much in this thread.

JakeLiebenow
Apr 21, 2013
Dr. Harrison Wells is Booster Gold undercover, calling that poo poo now.

EDIT: I've also been binge-watching Scrubs lately, and it's so surreal to see JD's brother be a famous physicist.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Deadpool posted:

A lot of that was reference to Crisis on Infinite Earths, if you want to know more you can Google that. But that's one of the things that shouldn't really be touched on too much in this thread.

Yeah I was just curious. By now it's kind of obvious that either Crisis or Flashpoint are going to be a Thing in the series, but I would rather wait to see how Johns and company handle it for the TV universe.

Also that IGN article posted earlier had someone in the comments make the vague(?) reference that Harrison Wells was a reference to H.G. Wells, author of The Time Machine.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Cute n Popular posted:

It seems like a lot of the music was updated. The Arrow leitmotif plays when he meets Oliver, for instance, and some of the Iris music has been...uh, CW-ified, if that makes any sense.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Don't want to stray too much into comic chat but I would like to briefly speculate that DC is introducing a Flashpoint/Crisis story specifically to consolidate their multiple TV/movie properties the same way the originals streamlined the comics continuity. It's their improved version of Marvel's world-building and it's going to be insane.

Comic chat over. Just thought that was a neat idea. Glad no one has to pretend not to have seen the pilot anymore.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

That would actually be the most goddamn amazing Comic Book Thing, to treat different networks like different Earths.

I'm preemptively furious that they probably won't do this.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Basically during an event called Crisis on Infinate Earths Barry Allen was in the future chilling with his family trying to live a decent life when the big bad came in all 'nope I need your power', kidnaps him and tries to blow earth up with a doomsday weapon. Barry saves the world by running super fast and using the speedforce (that red and gold lightning stuff? Yea) to contain the blast, but he dies in the process. He basically is trapped in there forever running to keep the world safe, or his soul is, whatever, it obviously all get retconned countless times.

Still the point is, a bad guy from the future telling him 'Run Barry, run' is a total callback to that and it's AWESOME.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

JakeLiebenow posted:

Dr. Harrison Wells is Booster Gold undercover, calling that poo poo now.

EDIT: I've also been binge-watching Scrubs lately, and it's so surreal to see JD's brother be a famous physicist.

If the Arrow producers were denied Blue Beetle so that Flash could have a Blue & Gold team up I'm gonna lose my mind. Show us you can a live action show on the scale of JL:U, DC/CW. I believe in you. :allears:

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Still the point is, a bad guy from the future telling him 'Run Barry, run' is a total callback to that and it's AWESOME.

This is what I was missing and it is indeed awesome. I knew about the runs-self-to-death thing but not any context. Thanks!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

This is what I was missing and it is indeed awesome. I knew about the runs-self-to-death thing but not any context. Thanks!

Yea it's fantastic, despite it being retconned to nothingness ages ago that was one of my favorite Flash moments because despite my incredibly boiled down description the writers did a perfect job showing the whole 'he just wants a family and a normal life, but he'll never have that so he'll settle for being sure the people he loves are safe' thing that really started to define Barry's version of The Flash, and it seems this show will at least be bumping up against those themes too.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
With Dr. Wells in his secret room reading newspapers from the future, I'm thinking that maybe the particle accelerator accident was something he engineered on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Basically during an event called Crisis on Infinate Earths Barry Allen was in the future chilling with his family trying to live a decent life when the big bad came in all 'nope I need your power', kidnaps him and tries to blow earth up with a doomsday weapon. Barry saves the world by running super fast and using the speedforce (that red and gold lightning stuff? Yea) to contain the blast, but he dies in the process. He basically is trapped in there forever running to keep the world safe, or his soul is, whatever, it obviously all get retconned countless times.

This is the kind of stuff I really don't want this thread to get dragged into talking about. If you want to know more about the Crisis and the red skies just Google it. There's no reason to bring this kind of thing into the thread after one episode of the show. Talk more about how cool the pilot was and less about Barry Allen/Crisis comic stuff.

• Locked thread