Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If the CW made Batman he'd be a shirtless brooding 18-year-old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

imperialparadox posted:

I love that this show looks like it's going to basically be the opposite of Arrow in terms of tone. Should make for an interesting contrast on the crossover episodes. I especially like that several people already know his identity, instead of turning this discovery into a long, drawn out process. Basically the cop's daughter is the only person that doesn't know.

"Whatever you do, you need to make sure that your basically-sister never finds out. There's no possible way this can end badly and I have never watched a TV show in my life."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

The second greatest gif to come out of this universe.

I have to ask, what's the first?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

He'll first appear in episode 112? I know it's good to plan ahead but still...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Error 404 posted:

Edit: well gently caress...

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you said, you think he'll be in the one hundred and twelfth episode.

No, the way they number episodes is this: 112 means season 1 episode 12.

That's pretty obvious in hindsight. I hadn't seen shows referred to this way (usually S1E12 in the places I encounter it at all) so I thought I was poking fun at a typo.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I know Multiplex's "I lost my best friend" thing was meant to echo Barry's relationship with Iris, but I prefer to believe the guy went revenge-crazy because his dog died.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

wisdomHNOX posted:

How do you feed someone in a cell like that? Also do meta humans not require a bathroom? Seems hard to convert that to a prison without some infrastructure work to the building.

Well Arrow has people locked in an underground prison on an abandoned island, so out of sight out of mind I guess.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

Also, why the hell didn't Barry just... wear a gas mask?

I wondered the same thing. It was originally a firefighter suit and CAME with a breather!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

kingcom posted:

Do i need to remind you there is a character called Professor Zoom. I feel he wins campiest super name.

Captain Boomerang, Reverse Flash, the entire rogues' gallery is made up of people who would be the punchline nemesis to any other superhero.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I like that the whole episode was a villainous origin story, not just Captain Cold showing up in the city fully formed. Snart gets stopped, adapts, evolves, and becomes who he needs to be to do what he wants. We can buy him putting together the Rogues because that's the logical next step and he's shown to be a guy who can follow that. THIS is how you do a nemesis.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Pub trivia names are *supposed* to be cheesy. It's a law.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

First candid photo of Pied Piper [source]

No green? :doom: Probably didn't want anyone to confuse him with some other green douche in a hood.

The cloak's wither oddly shiny, or it's badly photoshopped. Could be either one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That makes the comic book fan in me squeal, and the physicist in me look for something sharp.

Running up a building is not a question of speed as long as you can go faster than 10 m/s (22 mph). The problem is staying attached to the building while you do so, and no amount of "running really fast" will fix that. One push against the building instead along it will send you into empty space and then you either need to vibrate your arms fast enough to fly or you're gonna eat pavement.

If you're one of those people who has trouble rotating reference frames, imagine it like running along the ground into a headwind while weightless. There's no way that's gonna end well.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 8, 2014

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Don't be that guy. Not in this thread.

Usually I wouldn't. Usually I'm quite good at suspending my disbelief and rolling with things. In an earlier trailer when Barry ran up the building I was quite happy, and I don't know why the full scene just makes me cringe.

E: anyway, it's my problem to get over and Flash is still awesome.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

David D. Davidson posted:

The final glee cover was of gently caress You but since it was from a syndicated tv show all instances of the word "gently caress" were replaced by "forget" making the song less fun in my opinion.

Cee Lo Green actually did two versions of the song, so it's less "TV censorship" and more "guess which one gets played." I agree it loses something in the transition.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I love the music of this show. They nailed the "awesome stuff is happening" sting.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rarity posted:

You have failed this thread.

I think he failed the other thread. This is the Flash thread, where we never fail as long as we keep running.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I was chanting Grodd from the moment Wells talked about researching mind-reading. And somebody seems to have messed up the scrept and put the "Wells is evil" stinger in the middle of the episode.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

VagueRant posted:

Yeeeah, every Iris scene continues to be insufferably boring. On a more positive note: the wall and water-running was cool. I know Deadpool shut it down, but the guy analysing the real life physics of wall running was super interesting to me - I forget who did it, it was like ten pages ago. I'm curious about the water running physics now! :allears:

Running on water's a lot more reasonable, since all the force vectors are going in the proper direction. Some animals (the basilisk lizard for example) can even do it naturally. If you're moving fast enough, each step would be like effectively skipping a stone. The math involved gets into fluid dynamics which is rather tricky for me to do in my head, but according to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYRNBZOKp_M you'd need to go about 30 m/s or 68 mph. Faster for carrying another person, of course.

Heck, it's basically waterskiing under your own power, and people do that with mechanical assistance all the time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Drifter posted:

Nobody likes your lame river just let it go, dude.

Well yeah, nobody likes our lame Willamette river. The Columbia is the OTHER river next to Portland.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If you're gonna share stuff like that it's probably best to just provide a link (with info of how spoiler-y it is of course) like folks did for the pictures of Flash's nemesis.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Godzilla was great, it just wasn't in a Summer Blockbuster style despite coming out in the timeslot and being marketed as such. So a lot of folks expected something different and got whiplash.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

The opening is great. The whole Japanese style horror at Privatised Nuclear power, particularly in the wake of the Fukashima disaster is really well done.
And the music and sound effects design is excellent. (The final battle is set up like a Samurai duel between warriors.)

That being said the film should have featured Bryan Cranston use some stolen Plutonium to brew up Nuclear Crystal Meth which he uses on himself to become a Godzilla sized HEISENBERG-O!

They need to leave something for the sequel.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Am I the only person who's of the mind that Lance totally knows, at least on a subconscious level, but is being willfully dense in order to keep things simple?

Similarly, Gordon TOTALLY knows that Bruce is Batman.

That's my working theory as well. "Officially I don't know, and I don't want anything to do with straining that facade."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Arrow: the Brave and the Bold.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

My brother hasn't been watching the show but is here for thanksgiving. Partway through the episode he was arguing that Wells isn't evil, just driven, to which I replied"you haven't seen the way he stabbed that guy." I'm glad that the stinger was one which proved my point.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

This show is like putting a comic book on the TV screen for an hour every week. Story, funny bits, the big scene that can go on the cover, and a stinger to make everyone excited for the next issue. I've enjoy the other superhero shows but this one feels like the most sincere transition. I like to watch Agents of SHIELD, but I'm *excited* to watch Flash every Tuesday.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

When Flash was beating up Eddie I was expecting Iris to yell Barry's name instead of Flash's. It would have been a good point for a "figured it out" reveal. Then you could put Eddie in a "knows but doesn't trust it's under control" position instead of J Jonah Jameson.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

e X posted:

IT WAS ME BARRY, IT WAS ME ALL ALONG!

I hope. Wouldn't make a lick of sense, but a guy can dream.

"Remember me Barry? When I killed your mother I ran JUST, LIKE, THIIIIIIS!"

E: Damnit, that's what I get for not reading the whole thread.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Soylentbits posted:

I choose to believe that Iris is reverse Flash because it would give her something to do.

Same here. It's about the only reveal that I'd actually find surprising. Of course since I've anticipated it now it wouldn't be a surprise anymore...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

More than anything I find it curious that they store all these supervillains in their basement, where we presume they're fed and reasonably looked after.

We don't call it the No-Lunch Supermax for nothing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I assume Welles is Eddie's descendant, which is why he didn't hurt him.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

Someone posted a link on another forum of a soundcloud link. it was RF dialog pitch adjusted and its 100% Wells

Clearly more evidence that they're hiding the truth. Iris is RF.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Valeyard posted:

His use of the word "speedster" has caused me to go back and I am now currently rewatching Heroes :v:

Heroes was a great show, it's too bad they never made a second season.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The Flash has the best Rogues.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

I was really confused about why we were having this discussion again and then I realized that this is the Flash thread.

The crossover never ended.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Phenotype posted:

I don't know what that means. And I don't care to.

SHIELD is out for another couple of months, and during the long break they're showing a miniseries of 1950s Hayley Atwell kicking people in the face for the sake of Freedom.

And SHIELD ended up getting better after 10 episodes or so and became awesome after episode 17, but "hang in there for the first day of episodes" isn't exactly the way to get people to watch a show.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Also, her character in general is a good match for the show. She only reluctantly becomes a villain while she is trying to help her family, so she has a legitimate reason to fight the Flash without being a bank robber or psychotic jerk, she is an interesting foil for the Flash. It's just a really solid setup for a one shot episode that ties itself up nicely at the end, it practically writes itself.

That's what makes it an interesting idea for me. Plastique may not have been the best acting, but I like the "reluctant bad guy" aspect of it, and I think the show needs more of those to contrast with guys like Snart.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

For the three people who weren't paying attention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

OB_Juan posted:

I get the idea that Snart was never in the crime game for the money, or at least not only for the money. He seems to be about the challenge.

Yeah. In his intro show they said he pulls a perfect crime about once a year or so for kicks, but this time Flash ruined his fun so he got a bit obsessed.

• Locked thread