Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I feel kinda bad I only know Flash from Justice League and being Hal's best bud. The only villians I know are Captain Cold, Mirror Master and Professer Zoom. Who is White Boy Storm?

Hey, did you know this guy is the Weather Wizard? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This is also true, just saying they'll probably keep him as close to comic canon for Barry as possible since, despite being the blandest of that villain's incarnations, he's as close to "The Flash's Joker" as we'll get. Besides, I always thought Deathstroke was lame before Arrow fixed him up, maybe they'll give him the same.

Given how much they messed with Oliver's rogues gallery, I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled off something unexpected.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Captain Mog posted:

That was really random. Why the hell did the captain need to freak out at Barry as if he'd been personally insulted?

Are you talking about Jesse Martin? Dude has probably been dealing with Barry's crackpot bullshit for years. He's clearly used to covering for Barry's gently caress-ups. This is a boiling point he's probably been building towards for years.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Man, the effects have been kind of inconsistent. Like the tornado looked good and the Flash running around it was fine but the shot inside of the Weather Wizard looked really crappy and flat.

In general, all the close-up effects shots look weird. Just stick to the wide shots, show.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Holy poo poo, that was a hell of a trailer, now I'm even more excited about where it looks like this show is going.

There is no :flashfap: big enough.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Captain Mog posted:

I thought the first episode was good, but it wasn't even close to Arrow levels of amazingness. It's lacking the complex, likable characters Arrow has as well as a lot of the emotional depth and resonance. Why does Barry decide to be a hero/vigilante? Because it's the "right" thing to do? Because he has superpowers now so why the hell not? I'm sort of confused about his motivation.

:rolleyes: It's been one episode. As pilots go, I'll take this one over Arrow's to be honest.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

He discovered Oliver's identity on his own? was he there on his own accord to figure it out because it was "weird" or was it because he works for the cops?

There was a weird superpower crime in the Arrow-verse, Barry heard about it (somehow) and shirked work to go investigate. Him being late to the crime scene in this episode was actually him coming back from Starling City after his boss chewed him out.

And yes, he knows about Ollie, but he didn't figure it out. They told him because they needed him to treat Oliver for some kind of weird poisoning and they had nobody else to turn to.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Looks like there's a proper preview for the next episode, different from the fancy trailer they played at the end of this one.

Hahahaha. "GET THAT MAN A CLONE" is the best villain intro tag in history.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

TowerofOil posted:

I hope they lay off the cheesy 70's zoomed in face shots while he's running and just do the blurry wider shots.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So you know how the Flash was the most-watched CW series premiere in like five or six years? Apparently that is no longer true.

The Flash is now the most-watched CW premiere ever.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Rarity posted:

So 7 or 8 years then? :v:

That is two more years than before. :colbert:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
This is such a cool show. :allears:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

ComposerGuy posted:

Technically they were childhood friends before the whole "Mom dead, Dad framed" thing. Detective West mentions it in the pilot when he answers someone who asked if he knew the mom with "My daughter is best friends with her kid". They were 11 at the time.

I still think it's weird, but not as weird as it could be. 11 is old enough that that sort of "brother-sister" thing may not be in effect. They weren't raised the majority of their childhoods under the same roof.

Westermarck only kicks in if they're friends before age 6. :flashfact:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Rewatching last night's episode. Some great lines I forgot about. "Keep lying like that, you're liable to get struck by lightning again." Casting Jesse L. Martin was a loving bullseye.

Man, the flashbacks really kill the momentum though. Kid Barry is really bad. I hope they don't try to use them every episode. This isn't Arrow.

I also hope Cisco becomes a better actor add the show goes on. His lines are not always the greatest, but good delivery could save them and his delivery is just... off. Also he needs to cut his hair. :colbert:

God drat, the score for this show is great. Especially the closing credits theme (which I only heard due to watching from the CW's website). :flashfap:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

greatn posted:

You can make a whole Shakey's Pizza out of stem cells.

If stem cells can turn into clothes, they can turn into money. Guy didn't even need to rob people; he just needs to clone himself with a couple of big fat hundreds in his wallet. Hell, clone self -> take clone's money -> repeat would double his money every time. Then he can just buy guns. Then he doesn't get Barry on his rear end and he kills Stagg no problem.

He has no one but himself to blame for his failure. :colbert:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Hey, for every bad line in Arrow there is another that is sold loving gold. Gotham is a swirling maelstrom of bad dialogue with no bottom.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Writing aside, Candace Patton has great line delivery and I really like her as an actress based on what I've seen so far. I hope they find more to do with her. I'm a bit worried, because unlike Laurel, Iris doesn't have a kickass crime-fighting destiny (I don't think). Even through the doldrums of the Arrow thread, we always knew that Laurel would one day be Black Canary, and we held onto that hope. Comics nerds, what do we have to look forward to with Iris?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Yannick_B posted:

As for Iris, I really like the actress and what's great about the character so far is that she's the only normal person in the show, not a superhero, scientist or a cop. I do hope they pull what was the big relationship bit of Iris & Barry to me: her knowing his secret ID WAY before he told her.

That would be awesome. Have her figure it out before the mid-season finale and then just spend the rest of the season alternately covering for him and loving with him. :laugh:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
In today's news-that-surprises-no-one, the Flash gets a full season order.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Grant Gustin is so tall. :allears:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm liking the science team backstory. It's cool seeing what happened that night from their perspective and it's making them a lot less two-dimensional.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Can we please shut the gently caress up about Gotham? I'd rather forget that show exists.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Wow, Joe is giving Barry a genuine cop talk. :smith:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

e X posted:

And what exactly stops them from telling the world about dead boyfriends heroics?

No one listening to the pariah scientists who nearly destroyed the city?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Deadpool posted:

God. Flash fights are all going to be cool as hell aren't they?

With that score in the background, Barry could go grocery shopping and it would be heroic as hell. :911:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Barry and Joe have such a cool relationship.

"I am a detective, remember?" God, I love this show. :allears:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

e X posted:

Huh, when it panned to hm in the control room I figured we would see evidence that he actively caused the accident.

...was him watching Barry get struck by lightning not exactly that?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm sorry people have deep morality issues with the imprisonment of a murderer who can become a poison gas cloud. What the gently caress else were they supposed to do with him?

I kind of get people not liking him being imprisoned without a trial but publicly trying a man who basically breaks all known laws of physics would require publicly acknowledging that metahumans are A Thing, which would open an enormous can of plot worms on top of requiring infrastructure that does not exist yet. It's episode three for Christ's sake. It would be nice if Flash and company could set up some kind of partnership with state and local governments but I'm pretty sure right now they're just trying to get their proverbial get on the ground.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I just want him to cut his goddamn hippie hair. :arghfist::corsair:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I could do without Barry's narration summing up the Lesson of the Week at the end of each episode, but I love the little shots of him do-gooding around the city while it's happening. I especially love his quick-and-easy solutions to a lot of these problem. Woman getting mugged a knifepoint? ZIP. Woman has knife. Stab away, sweetheart. :chef:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Scapegoat posted:

Because it would completely destroy Barry's belief system. It could bring on an existential crisis and maybe even a dark flash period.

No, gently caress that garbage. Barry's entire draw at the moment is his status as an anti-antihero. gently caress that dark gritty bullshit. Give me fast, fun Flash any day of the week.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Is there some kind of vital comics plot point that requires Barry to be blonde? Like some extra dimensional power that canonically only activates for people with hair of a certain shinyness quotient? Is his blondness a formative element of his personality, like all the kids at school picked on him for having blond hair and this drove him to become a valiant defender of justice for those whose follicles do not fit with the rest of society's? No?

Then who cares what his hair color is. The vast majority of people in the world--hell, I would even say the vast majority of comic nerds--do not give one single gently caress what comics Barry looks like so long as the guy they cast is actually, you know, good at acting.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Jesus Christ, shut the hell up. :cripes:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

TGG posted:

Captain Weather?

Captain Climate Control. :yayclod:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I love this show. I loving love this show. I can't remember the last time I smiled this much at my TV. :neckbeard:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
God, Sunset Overdrive looks like the douchiest game ever made.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, I am really liking what they're doing with science team. I was so worried they would be static characters or gimmicks, especially Cisco, but they really seem to be doing a lot to flesh them out and make them real characters.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I cannot imagine how this show is going to keep topping itself every week. :suspense:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
God drat it, why is this show determined to set Barry up with the only woman in the cast I don't want him to get with? Arrow did the same thing in Season 1 with Laurel. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

WarLocke posted:

I'm on to you thread, you're not going to trick me into watching Glee because the Flash was on it. :colbert:

I say this as a regular poster in the Glee thread; please do not ever watch Glee. It is not a television show, it is an abusive spouse whose audience is powerless to leave it. We tell ourselves it will change, we try to remember the good times back when it really loved us. But the truth is it never loved us. It never loved us at all. :cry:

• Locked thread