Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Deadpool posted:

This is the kind of stuff I really don't want this thread to get dragged into talking about. If you want to know more about the Crisis and the red skies just Google it. There's no reason to bring this kind of thing into the thread after one episode of the show. Talk more about how cool the pilot was and less about Barry Allen/Crisis comic stuff.

There's no way in hell the last 20+ years of comic semi-continuity will be brought into the show. Like Arrow, they'll take iconic ideas and characters and make them their own (i.e Solomon Grundy from Arrow done in a new way), rather then like how Gotham just desperately name drops Batman references at every turn. Plus Crisis has become the shorthand for any major DC event, so it could mean a million different things.

The Wayne Tech/Queen Inc merger hint was really surprising, because I don't know how anyone else can read that as anything other then "Hey, we want to add Batman".

It's amazing how good this was for a pilot, especially 4 weeks after watching the hilarious mess that is Gotham. There are a lot of other good Justice League big names the CW could bring in; Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Atom, Hawkman, etc. who are huge comic book heroes but have almost no exposure outside of that medium, no one squatting on the rights (like Marvel and AoS), and just huge potential for good writers to create their own universe.

I would love for Batman to show up in a minor way on Arrow, but Fox holds on to those rights so tightly I'm amazed they allowed a mention of Wayne in a DC comic themed show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I pretty much know nothing about DC's modern television offerings and I thought this felt in many ways like a modern take on Lois & Clark in terms of the sets and the visual look. That said, I couldn't be happier that they're not cringing away from the balls-out craziness of the comic books - throwing in references to Grodd and Zoom and the loving Infinite Crisis of all things? That's great - don't be scared of your bizarre source material and just run with it (no pun intended).

Wrong Crisis.

Understandable though, trying to suddenly jump into the last 20-25 years of DC comics, or comics in general is almost impossible without reading a few dozen graphic novel paperbacks, reading comprehensive wiki articles, and following any franchise wide event.

DC and Marvel have the same problem with how completely inaccessible their continuity is to new readers which is why "new" series like Marvel Ultimates sold so well.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Spergatory posted:

Hey, for every bad line in Arrow there is another that is sold loving gold. Gotham is a swirling maelstrom of bad dialogue with no bottom.

Let's be honest "You have failed this city!" makes up for any cheesy writing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

Amell isn't just voicing Green Arrow in Lego Batman 3 - they're also doing a DLC pack that includes friggin Diggle and Felicity playable characters, and a level that apes the show as well.

If you're at all a fan of superheroes, the lego games will make you grin. Lego Batman 2 is basically a Batman/Superman teamup with appearances by other heroes. But Lego marvel is essentially the marvel movie's versions of the characters interacting with people you'll never see in the same movie. Tony Stark and Reed Richards bond over their love of science, Peter Parker angsts out, and Wolverine shows up everywhere. It is glorious.

Also, Saints Row 4 is the best superhero game ever made.

I love the idea that Amell will be so ubiquitous as the Green Arrow by the time DC wants to make a Green Arrow movie character the actor will just prep for the role by watching all the seasons of Arrow.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zythrst posted:

I think the problem is your misusing terms here. Regardless of whether there are sexist motivations or not, neither Joe or Barry or doing this because they hate Iris.

They're both acting like morons because they know a world breaking secret that would put her life at risk and have no idea how to distance her from it. She'll probably blow her journalism career by becoming known as the Streak/Flash internet blogger, her dad has no idea what to do because she's both involving herself in police matters and dating his partner, and Barry is clearly in love with her and can't "be friends" anymore while keeping his powers secret.

It makes a lot of sense, he has his Star Lab buddies who know everything and he can freely talk with them about his weird quirks (can't get drunk) but Iris is a person he has to keep making excuses to.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

The comics are even worse. so at least they are consistent in one way.

I remember in the 00s that DC was the franchise considered generally better because Marvel had done tons of "epic issue arcs" and was confusing as poo poo. Then DC caught up with Infinite Crisis and since they have vomited out a new arc every chance they get.

Now they're both completely impenetrable to a new reader, and even trying to go back and read a detailed wiki of the lore is almost incomprehensible.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

That episode is going to be amazing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

How are his clothes not vaporizing? Some kind of... Fire Force?

It makes sense that all he can do now is make fire; he's still really messed up in the head and barely keeping it together. I'm assuming he'll have the actual Firestorm powers but is too messed up to figure out how the work and all he can do is just burn things.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Yannick_B posted:

I thought Heatwave was a bit uneven, when he's fixing his gun, he seems like a smarter guy who was playing up being a thug, but in other
scenes he's just a thug who REALLY gets into his gimmick, which is awesome.

He seems more like a pyromaniac then a thug, and Snart wouldn't wouldn't crew up with idiots. His only complaint about Heatwave was that he'd lose focus when flames got involved. He did say Snart made him learn every single detail before letting him have it, and telling a pyro he'll get a flame beam gun if he masters how it works was probably great motivation.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Swillkitsch posted:

Wells sitting in the dark asking Barry if they're enemies was hilarious. And then creepy music queuing up right then made me burst out into laughter. He's evil, guys! In case you didn't know!

That he's been outed as having time travel knowledge, connected to Reverse-Flash in a major way, has murdered the poo poo out of people, and its still not completely clear if he's villain evil or semi-evil shows how insanely good the writing is on this show and the constant reveals only manage to make the mystery deeper.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

hi liter posted:

Its more that he does clearly evil things for an unclear purpose. He wants to make the flash stronger (ostensibly good), possibly for his own ego, but still unclear.

To whatever degree Wells is "evil" his biggest goal is safeguarding and helping Barry, and he seems to have a genuine interest in it as well, not a manipulative one. They already said we're going to get time travel this season so by that point we might get more detail on Wells' future tech/knowledge.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, Wells definitely killed Barry's mom, but was it a future version of show Wells or a Past version?

God drat this show is great.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Inkspot posted:

Easy there, K-Pax.

Is Danielle Panabaker actually that tone deaf? I thought she was just playing it up at first because she was supposed to be drunk, but in my experience, people who can legitimately sing have trouble faking something that grating.

Probably. There's a hilarious story about DS9 during their baseball episode with the actor who played Rom(he almost went pro in college) and was incapable of looking like a dunce, so the director told him to switch from right to left-handed just so it was somewhat believable.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

zoux posted:

I really hope Wentworth Miller is having as much fun as he seems like he is.

Miller and Purcell are having the time of their lives. They get to be crazy supervillians with crazy elemental rayguns and constantly make heat/cold puns. There's almost no other opportunities for TV actors to get those kinds of roles anywhere but the CW. All the big comic book stuff is mostly the MCU and that's a certain caliber of actors.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Deadpool posted:

They said at some convention that Mirror Master was one of their plans for next year.

Yeah, at wondercon. MM, Doc Alchemy, and some enemy who people are going to freak the gently caress out over. Also, the exec producer mentioned this

quote:

He said DC and Geoff Johns opened up everything to them for the show; nothing is off limits. If something exists in the Flash universe, they can use it.

So it looks like DC is accepting that the TV and movie universes will be entirely self-contained, and unless the studio pitches a fit and demands the show get rid of a villain they want to use in the movie (which is, what 4-5 years down the line, if that?) it looks The Flash could become the gold standard of comic book shows.

Also, I didn't see it mentioned, but at the con they also talked about how in the flashback fight the Red Flash had a white emblem on his chest, not a red and yellow one.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Deadpool posted:

They also said this about Arrow at first with the only exceptions being Superman and Batman. And we see how that has now turned out. We have at least four additional characters off limits there because of movies and maybe even a fifth. Don't be surprised in a couple years when it starts affecting this show too at some level.

I know they killed Deadshot because of the SS movie, but who are the other 3?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I just don't think you could do the Reverse Flash unless you completely changed his origin altogether which I'm sure they would do in a heart beat, but also I don't think David Goyer who is supposedly the architect for the whole movie series gets The Flash.

What do you mean by that? I'm assuming The Flash movie will try to be all gritty and dark like the The Dark Knight and Man of Steel and be complete poo poo for it. The entire DC movie lineup seems like desperation to compete with the wildly successful MCU by taking a super serious tone instead of making fun movies.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

jesus loving christ, people in this thread are acting as if "i expect honesty in a relationship" consititutes "acting like a 16 year old"

goons have fuckin' huge issues with women, god drat

Eddie was put in a lovely spot that could've easily been explained by him saying "The Flash has developed a working relationship with an undisclosed number of cops, I'm one of them, you can't tell anyone or print this because it opens up the PD to intense scrutiny and will make our lives hell"

But I think based on Iris's characterization so far she'd go ahead and print it because "People need to know!" because she's so happy to be a intrepid journalist.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

Shipp added that the spinoff has been picked up for 13 episodes, and listed CBS's Supergirl among the lineup of shows that will make up the shared DC TV universe. This is an idea we've heard before -- Supergirl shares the same producing team as Flash and Arrow -- although it has yet to be confirmed by either WBTV or The CW.

This is pretty shocking. CBS has a lot more weight to throw around as far as TV goes, but I worry that a CW style Supergirl show won't be a CBS ratings hit. The CW could have a DC show on every single night and still get the ratings they need to sustain them because they people watching Arrow and Flash would almost certainly start watching a Dr. Fate or Hawkman show if they know its all a shared universe.

I'm kind of hoping the CW does short mini-series for the side characters, ATOM, Firestorm, Arsenal, that feature minor appearances from the big names but are still fun as hell to watch.

David D. Davidson posted:

It's Kyle McLaughlin being ham loving amazing on SHIELD.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Binary Logic posted:

Wasn't messing around with timelines part of what ruined Heroes? I hope this show can avoid that aspect of time travel.

I hope by next episode Cisco has miniaturized his "anti-speedster force field" gizmo so he can wear it as a belt buckle.

Time travel is pretty integral to the Flash mythos, and unless the writers completely check out they will nail it. Everything so far has been near perfect for something as complex as The Flash given that most of his greatest enemies are pure comic book insanity especially the (multiple) time traveling speedsters.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Scyantific posted:

I think that's the point. They're looking to get the big stuff out of the way before they get slammed with the DCCU Flash embargo.

But, HOLY gently caress WE'RE GETTING ZOOM. :flashfap:

They should just give us the whole lineup of speedsters already.

Has anything else been made public or are the showrunners just assuming that when the DC movie is scripted they'll get a massive stack of changes they have to make to the show, including cutting out all iconic characters.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

He was probably talking more about ratings/cancellation stuff than the movies.

After the massive success of Arrow I really doubt anyone expected Flash to only survive 2 seasons.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Could someone parse exactly who/what Zoom is? There's all sorts of "New Earth" stuff on the wiki's that's confusing the hell out of me.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/12/supergirl-cbs-seems-more-open-to-arrow-the-flash-crossovers

quote:

Tassler was then asked if such a crossover is inevitable down the line and replied, “Here’s the deal. I’m a little bit of a superhero geek and I have a lot of respect for what characters inhabit certain universes. And people think, ‘Oh yeah, just pick up one character and let them fly over!’ If you’re in another setting, you really have to be respectful and mindful of what each universe says you can and can’t do. Obviously, we’re working very closely with DC and our producers and Greg Berlanti is sort of the poster child for this field, so I’m just saying right now we’re not doing it. We’re doing it promotionally. But, look, we’ll always stay open [to it]. They’re very, very inventive in terms of what they can and will do in the future.”

Holy gently caress can anyone working on a DC project stay on message? First it was "No crossover, that's final" now its "Well maybe we can work something out" except we all know that DC is pants on head retarded when it comes to its licenses and will likely mid season tell Arrow/Flash/Supergirl to drop a character because they have plans for a movie 5 years down the line.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Just realized that between Caitlen and Lisa Snart at least two women that Roger Sterling has slept with are in The Flash.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

I imagine they care less about TV shows being hamstringed and more about the movies being hamstringed. :sweatdrop:

I thought the argument was "Moviegoers will get confused if there's a Deadshot on a tv show and a different one in a movie. Kill him off in the show asap"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

LOL, if I'm interpreting that right, The Flash Day is for Jay Garrick, Barry shows up and gets on stage and everybody is like, who the gently caress are you?

Uh, no it's clearly his day.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Wow, they really don't give a gently caress about the Flash movie

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/05/the-flash-movie-taps-abraham-lincoln-vampire-hunter-writer-to-direct?abthid=5612de8fb418bd683f000019

quote:

The upcoming The Flash film has reportedly found its director in Seth Grahame-Smith, the author of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Grahame-Smith is currently in negotiations to write and direct the movie based on the DC property. Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, who wrote the treatment for the film, were thought to be on-deck to script and direct the movie, but instead will be directing the upcoming stand-alone Han Solo movie.

The Flash will mark Grahame-Smith's first time as a feature film director. His previous directing credits include a couple episodes of the MTV series he co-created, The Hard Times of RJ Berger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Is anyone at DC actually interested in The Flash movie? It seems like it was greenlit in a desperate attempt to prove to investors that DC can make just as many blockbuster movies as Marvel can and as a "We've totally got our own version of Avengers that will make billions". Meanwhile we've got BvS which looks like a dark and dour punch to the gut that will probably do great but nowhere near MCU levels and still depends on Batman and Superman, two of the most iconic superheroes ever, to carry the entire movie franchise.

MCU is meanwhile rounding out Phase 2, 10 years of movies they were building up to Infinity War(a trilogy I think) and then move on to Phase 3, which has probably been planned out for just as long in the early stages and will bring in new central actors/heroes.

Before Ironman 1, the hero wasn't even in the public consciousness. Hulk was only notable because of the campy 1970s TV series that people remembered. Captain America and Thor similarly. All those billions the MCU generates came from focusing on make fun exciting movies with their IPs and hiring the best people for the job. Guardians of the Galaxy is another smash hit and that was completely removed from the entire established MCU because they focused on making a good movie that families could go see.

• Locked thread