Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I pretty much know nothing about DC's modern television offerings and I thought this felt in many ways like a modern take on Lois & Clark in terms of the sets and the visual look. That said, I couldn't be happier that they're not cringing away from the balls-out craziness of the comic books - throwing in references to Grodd and Zoom and the loving Infinite Crisis of all things? That's great - don't be scared of your bizarre source material and just run with it (no pun intended).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

Does this mean you haven't seen Arrow? because if so this is a serious quality of life flaw that needs to be rectified at the earliest possible opportunity.

I have not, but I've heard so many good things about it that I think you're right, it is time I rectified this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

All I know is that I want Gorilla Grodd to get here sooner rather than later. I was so stoked when I saw his cage in the first episode, and then the flashback to Wells telling Grodd he had other plans in store for him.

Give me my monkey!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Drifter posted:

Aside from the idea being incredibly dumb, you make it seem as though there is a story like that already somewhere. What story is it? Or am I misreading you?

Unless I'm missing several layers of meta in-jokes, I believe he's referring to season 2 of Arrow.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I caught up on the first two seasons of Arrow before getting caught up on The Flash, and while I enjoyed the show (though it is TERRIBLE in parts) I feel burned out on it, I've only seen 2-3 episodes of season 3 and have been struggling to really get engaged with it. Flash, on the other hand, has been a joy to watch, perhaps because it is so nakedly unconcerned about embracing the comic-book lunacy, something that Arrow seemed to take a while to feel comfortable with.

Still, if The Atom shows up in Arrow that's going to make it all worth it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wells uses the flash ring that stores the costume in it, I love this show so much. It's so unapologetic about its comic book roots :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SirDan3k posted:

It's fairly simple RF is a crazy Flash stalker fan from the future. He replicates the powers and travels back in time using a custom time jump suit made to take on the Flash in his prime but misses the first then he jumps again frying the suit's time travel capabilities. Problem is his first jump butterfly effects the time stream and the Flash doesn't have power, he's some doctor with a wife and kid and the wrong name even. Wells freaks out kills the Not-Flash's wife and frames him for the murder. Then he begins a new quest to make a new Flash, a better flash the original flash is too old but his son, his son will make a wonderful Flash for him to kill.

I actually figured that Reverse Flash hasn't even killed Nora yet, and when a couple of different people said,"You murdered Nora Allen when her son Barry was a child!" and he didn't reply, it was because he was thinking,"Did I? Guess I better get onto that!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Besides, the Arrow hasn't murdered anyone in months, it's not exactly a pressing matter.

This seems to be the logic Ollie is employing in regards to Malcolm Merlyn too.

"How can I convince my sister not to trust Malcolm Merlyn when as far as she knows he's only been kind and supportive of her.... no point in reminding her of the fact he kept our mother living in fear for decades or that he literally murdered 500+ people including his own son, that's OLD news!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Solaris Knight posted:

I don't think Carlos Valdes gets enough credit here and in general for how fine a line he has to cross between goony but sincere and obnoxious nerd stereotype.

His,"We could really use a Cold Gun right now... just saying...." line was so great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

hamsystem posted:

Whenever the writer's strike is mentioned I pour out a 40 eat a pie for my fallen homie Pushing Daisies. I miss you boo!

At least Bryan Fuller is making Hannibal and it's seemingly safe from network interference because he's got outside funding and at least 3 cable companies hovering over the show salivating at the chance to pick it up if NBC drops it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God all these years I didn't realize I could just teach myself to go faster :aaa:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm a little worried about Grodd actually because once he's appeared the show must surely have hit its peak and it'll all be downhill from there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burning_Monk posted:

Well, until we get to Gorilla City!

Oh man, yeah I guess I'll still have that to look forward to, awesome.

I love that this is a thing I can honestly see absolutely happening on this show at some point down the line.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

I need a show about Tim Drake and Dick Grayson

....being taunted by Damian Wayne? :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

zoux posted:

Well Amanda Waller, but she's already in the DCTV universe.

Pfft, she's half the lady she is in the comics :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This episode reminded me again why I was willing to watch all of the terrible, terrible, terrible Prison Break - because Wentworth Miller is amazing.

Even the "it was all my meta-plan!" stuff at the end reminded me of Prison Break, it's the kind of ridiculously stupid thing that he somehow manages to pull off and make unbelievably cool :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That shield already put me in mind of The Guardian

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astro Nut posted:

So remember how they said they were going to use the comic as a way to have villains that might be too outlandish, even for the show?

They weren't kidding.

"Some villains are too outlandish for us to put in the show."
"Like Gorilla Grodd?"
"No. :stare:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hef Deezy posted:

CW sort of did do it back when it was UPN

That's loving adorable :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Was that press conference supposed to make me think that Iris sure showed that stuffed shirt of a Pulitzer-Prize winning journalist a thing or two? Because as far as I can tell he's completely justified in dismissing her for her complete lack of experience or training and mocking her for complaining that she's enthusiastic and that should count. Wells only taking questions from her, and her puffed up pride after repeating verbatim what the other reporter said just made her look even more out of place in her role.

If their storyline is actually going to be that she demonstrates actual journalistic ability and forces the respect of her peers then that will be great, but I got the impression the show thought they'd already had her "prove herself" in that scene.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PFlats posted:

What? No. She had his back there. She was deferring to his question because she knows that dick or not, he knows his journalistic poo poo and he's a good person to have on her side as a mentor. She just doesn't want to be seen as useless.

But then why when it was over and he said,"What was that all about?" did she go,"Gumption :smug:" like she'd just proven a point or something.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Phylodox posted:

I'm telling you...H G Wells wrote War of the Worlds. War of the Worlds was about martians. Thawne doesn't look like Wells because...

:tinfoil:

Oh here we go, blaming the whites again!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GRODD!

GRODDDDDD! :black101:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm more concerned with the idea that the Police Department didn't have any other forensic technicians the entire time that Barry was in his coma, and that they also apparently left his lab untouched the entire time he was away. How many crimes went unsolved because of this bad budgeting?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The dead body they left in one of the cells was pretty disconcerting though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jscolon2.0 posted:

Guest starring Vince Neil.

They'd only have to pay him half his usual fee!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

gorilla grodd voiced by Vinnie Jones

everyone played by Vinnie Jones

I can't wait till they get to Vinnie City!

They were gonna call it Jonestown, but for some reason that didn't go down well with focus groups.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

God, another reference to some obscure British comedy, J-Ru?

A horrible mass murder/suicide actually :sweatdrop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

I dunno I think she would give the Flash a run for his money because you can see she is super fast too

pictured: not a CW special effect, actual super speed

This single photo qualifies you for the front page of the newspaper that just hired you based purely on the fact you know that dog.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GRODDDDDDD!!!!!! :supaburn:

And he and Reverse Flash are best buds :neckbeard:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Funhilde posted:

Well this isn't a show that take place in the real world.

Should I be relieved or depressed that we don't live in a world with a giant telepathic gorilla? :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

McSpanky posted:

Any story that ends with the moral of "sometimes your mom's just gotta die" is pretty loving awful.

What if Barry's mom grunts,"The night was sultry" at Wells at an inopportune time?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I was flipping the gently caress out wondering how they could possibly top this, and my friend reminded me they have a psychic psychotic gorilla left to work into the plot.

So yea, this might be the best show on any network at the moment.

The fact this show always has GRODD as a safe fallback position warms my heart :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The one thing that bugged me was that when Iris tells Barry about that reporter snooping around Wells and suspecting him of being up to something, Barry didn't immediately think,"Oh poo poo because Wells is secretly helping me (the Flash!) fight crime and meta-humans, his activities look suspicious in their eyes!"

Though to be honest the way the reporter openly told Barry about his SUPER-SECRET DO-NOT-LOOK THIS MEANS YOU BARRY files on Wells, I kinda got the feeling he actually suspects Barry might be the Flash and is trying to trick him into revealing himself by having the Flash come looking for some files that don't actually exist.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Barry's speed is "faster than whatever it currently needs to be faster than" and I hope it stays that way forever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

I'm still trying to come to terms with that fact that after this episode, there's still a loving TELEPATHIC GORILLA waiting in the wings.

Also that at some point down the line, I have no doubt we're gonna get GORILLA CITY because this show isn't embarrassed in the slightest by its comic-book origins, and that is fantastic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The computer is probably based on the tech he had on whatever the future's version of an Apple iwatch he happened to be wearing when he time-traveled or something - it's incredibly mundane tech for the time but by comparison to the 21st Century it is a goddamn super-computer.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AbstractNapper posted:

This just hit me for some reason, but the whole idea with Wells checking on the newspaper headlines from his future is that you can actually change the future (or for Wells/Thawne's case you can change your past to reshape the future). Wasn't there an early episode where the headline had changed for a while too and he was actively trying to restore it to the original title?

Barry gets his powers taken away by one of the metahumans of the week in one episode, and future history changes so there is never any record of The Flash in Wells' archive. When Barry gets his groove back, the records change back to the original headlines.

That story also ends with Wells examining the corpse of that guy to figure how out he managed to take Barry's powers. :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Well at the end of the episode the Flash had time travelled back to a time when Cisco was still alive, so...

What's frustrating is that by sheer coincidence, Barry's time travel coincided with an episode with mysteriously accelerated plot progression!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kilson posted:

So this show is Final Destination now.

Not even comics would be crazy enough to do a story where the Flash manages to outrun death! :smugbert:

• Locked thread