Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

JakeLiebenow posted:

Dr. Harrison Wells is Booster Gold undercover, calling that poo poo now.

EDIT: I've also been binge-watching Scrubs lately, and it's so surreal to see JD's brother be a famous physicist.

If the Arrow producers were denied Blue Beetle so that Flash could have a Blue & Gold team up I'm gonna lose my mind. Show us you can a live action show on the scale of JL:U, DC/CW. I believe in you. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

If we get just a little higher res we should be able to make out a lot of that text, especially the Wayne stuff. Something about DNA?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ufarn posted:

Is it supposed to be legible?

I also think you'd have to use a looping video/GIF to be able to see all the text, as it gets more and less legible during the sequence.

I don't think it's supposed to be but it's clearly not just random words or the same words over and over again. I mean, it's probably just some kind of filler text pulled out of like an encyclopedia entry about bridges or whatever but it'd be cool to see for sure.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

It's fun for me as someone who watched quite a bit of Smallville to watch Flash and see put in practice all the lessons CW learned making that show. I'd love to read a book about that someday. Like for instance, they decided to make a show about Superman but then realized that on a TV budget, they could pretty much never show him doing his most iconic power, flight.

But what they could do pretty well is super-speed effects, and they got a lot of practice at doing it well and in a lot of different, fun ways. So next time, first they make a "no powers at all" show, but when they get a chance to do a real "Super"hero show, who do they choose? The guy whose powers completely revolve around the one power they know got down pat, superspeed.

Overall it makes me feel a lot better about Smallville to think of it as sort of a sacrificial lamb that CW (and us) had to go through in order to figure out how to make a really actually good show.

The Lord Bude posted:

I would pay good money for Martin Sheen to be a regular on a show again. Although he'd probably fit best in something like Shield.

I wasn't sure about this because I thought surely Martin Sheen would be showing his age by now, but holy hell for a 74 year old he looks great.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

It's actually really good for an ABC show. Heaps of comic references. The effects are great, It's a family show at heart.

But the speed effects around Julie Benz are pretty great.

Yeah, that show was really fun, I was disappointed it didn't make it. Cool cast too - Darla, Michael Chiklis, Caitlin Snow Jr. etc

Actually, looking back on this show I think maybe I somehow missed like half this show because I definitely don't remember Lucy Lawless being a major character.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Stem cells do not only come from babies you loving idiot, Barry

Embryonic stem cells do, the pluripotent type that can turn into anything, you know, the type he was talking about. Well, depending on your definition of "baby", anyway... but they sure don't come from adults.

I can't believe this was your complaint about scientific accuracy, which you were wrong about anyway, when the guy was creating sweet ski masks out of stem cells somehow and also using them to communicate telepathically.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

According to the stinger at the end of the pilot, we see a newspaper article from 2024. Couldn't he just be looking into the future as opposed to being from the future?

How, in your mind, would that not be time travel either way?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Am I the only one that thinks Iris is a wonderful, really strong character being supported by really good portrayal? Yeah, a lot of the relationship angst from Barry towards her is painful and I can't wait to see it end, but that's not a flaw of Iris as a character. If anything, it's a flaw of Barry's character. She's not the one constantly showing frustrating, bad behavior, he is.

She's fun and strong and smart - the way she immediately knew poo poo was up with Barry and wasn't gonna take any bullshit from him was great. Her Flash investigation storyline could get old fast, but it's only been like 10 or 20 minutes long so far, give it some time. This show's been moving at a breakneck speed. Give it an episode or two to let that plotline run its course.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Revol posted:

Yyyyyup, something is going on there.

Who is the immortal DC villain? Savage something?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

e X posted:

The existence of this dungeon really cuts into my enjoyment of the show. The Iris plot, as uncomfortable as it makes me, I can at least attribute to being incidental not intentional meant that way, but this is so far not even considered a problem by anyone on the show, include the police detective.

I think the Iris plot is completely intentional - in that, Iris is meant to largely be in in the right and Barry and Joe are meant to be handling it poorly.

Look at the last episode. It was all from Iris' perspective, which would be the perfect frame for the writers to give judgment on her actions, but nowhere did that happen. She never reflected upon how she was really wrong all along and how she should listen to her daddy and stop being so prideful.

She was targeted by a meta, as was worried, but look at what actually happened in the show - not only was she not just a weak victim, she fought back, and even helped rescue the Flash when he needed help.

I think people need to stop making assumptions about how we're supposed to be viewing these plots. The Iris plot is only annoying if it's a plot about a weak, stupid girl being protected by Joe & Barry's perfect decisions. Consider that it may be something else, and that it may be evolving.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Once again Iris really got a chance to not be hapless victim. The writers seem to be really pounding it into out heads that Iris is very far from the helpless target that Joe (and Barry) are treating her as, at least as much as they can without explicitly saying it.

I mean, goddamn, she had the finishing blow on both of the last two enemies of the week, it doesn't get much clearer than that.

(arrow talk: she really makes Laurel look like a chump, Laurel couldn't win a fight if she got the jump on a random drunk in an alley and hit him in the back of the head with a baseball bat - I mean that literally, that exact thing happened and she got her rear end kicked)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Slamhound posted:

I need this, like, right now.

Laurel kicked rear end in Arrow's first season. They've done her a disservice since then.

You guys are right and I kinda forgot about it, but I don't remembering her ever taking down anyone besides a random mook or two, let alone a villain of the week. Remind me if I'm wrong, though.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Proposition Joe posted:

I would prefer if they didn't do this, not just because linking these two shows to a something that could very likely be canceled after one season would be lame, but also because I don't think Arrow can survive both superhumans and aliens being introduced so quickly after one another.

I also don't really get what the deal with Supergirl is and why there are two different cousins of Superman.

It gets a whole lot simpler if they just completely axe superman to begin with. gently caress Clark, he's had his day in the sun, let's give Kara a shot.

(I'm not really a superman hater or anything, but he's had plenty of movies and TV shows and he's about to have more, there's no reason to even include him as a relative of Kara's. Just replace him wholesale)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

There have been a bunch of incredibly convoluted origin stories for Supergirl over the years - about the only one I really liked was how the Superman animated series handled her. The last remaining survivor of a planet that was near Krypton, and lost its atmosphere when Krypton exploded.

Seriously, Supergirl's arc (picked up and drastically expanded in the Justice League series) is top shelf character development.

Of course, being on CBS doesn't exactly scream "serialized comic adventures" to me. But even CBS wants a slice of the superhero pie.

I always thought the DCUA Supergirl was fun, but I haven't seen much of her JL/JLA appearances other than minor ones, any episode recommendations off the top of your head?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This episode had some little touches that were really good, and they actually involved Iris:

- Her making up with Eddie, because she has a life outside of the Flash

This is a good point, I really liked that she decided to stick with the totally reasonable, supporting, loving boyfriend. Flash basically got abusive and instead of her becoming a poorly written TV character, she finally realized that this dude she keeps meeting in alleys and flirting with really is pretty creepy.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I like Barry as a whole, but that one thing about himself he really needs to get over. We all know it, Joe knows it, Ollie knows it, Caitlin knows it, it's just gotta happen. Maybe somehow, in the future, some kind of weird thing could happen where Iris & Barry would possible be together but not right now.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

Complain about Iris all you want, but she is 1000x better than Lana Lang ever was.

The one thing that Iris and Laurel will always have over Lana is that they actually have talented actresses. Even if they don't get a good part in a given season, they could at least theoretically be a worthwhile part of the show.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

zoux posted:

I tried to explain to them that it super didn't matter and anything they did would've paled in comparison to the Flash vs. Arrow fight and would've hosed up the pacing and narrative flow but nope they wanted to see Flash run up behind RR and knock him out or something for closure.

Tell them that's exactly what happened, it was just so fast you couldn't see it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Casting isn't a spoiler, unless it's like a character returning after being thought dead or something. So feel free to talk about Hamill as The Trickster without redacting your posts.

I feel like adaptations of existing works should fall into a different category for this.

I get why for the average show, it's not a spoiler to say "hey guys, turns out Jeffrey Combs has been cast for an upcoming episode for a character named 'Kevin Burkhoff', I guess he's a doctor of some kind". That doesn't really tell you anything about what's coming up, so it's not a spoiler.

But for an adaptation like a comic show, talking about which characters are going to be featured in upcoming episodes seems like it does fall under that "it obviously IS a spoiler" clause. It does tell you a lot about what's coming up, so it is a spoiler.

Like, right now, you need to spoiler it if you mention in isolation what characters are coming up, but if you also mention who's playing them, then that's fine and doesn't need to be spoilered? How does that make any sense?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

hcreight posted:

Look at it this way: you knew that they were going to do The Trickster at one point or another. Now you just know that they're going that extra mile with the casting decision. It's not like Hamill's Trickster showing up dramatically changes the course of the show or anything.

Actually, that makes sense in this case.

But what if it was a character that wasn't such a sure thing? Like, it wouldn't be cool for me to pop into the thread and say "hey episode 20 is going to introduce Jaime Reyes as an ongoing cast member" without a spoiler, but it's okay to say it unspoilered if I'm framing it as a casting announcement? Seems totally contradictory.

Deadpool posted:

No you don't need to spoiler what characters are coming up unless they've been on the show and 'died' or something.

That's my mistake then, I was under the impression you were meant to spoiler anything that wasn't something that had already aired. It seemed to be written that way in the rules post to me.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 8, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Yes it would be totally cool for you to pop in and say exactly that.

Let's put it this way, if they announced that Superman was appearing in the finale that wouldn't be a spoiler either. That's about as extreme of a case as I can give.

OK, sorry to muck around about rule minutia, I know this stuff is annoying to mods!

Anyway this casting is very cool. I don't know that much about Trickster but what little I know of him from DCAU & other places make me very hopeful. I guess that since he's a terrorist in prison he won't be the semi-harmless version, but I hope that at least he sees himself that way.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 8, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Lyon posted:

I don't think I've seen this posted here so let me just drop this off... Geoff Johns confirms live action Teen Titans television pilot.

drat, DC is really freakin' bold about what kind of superheroes they think they can pull off on a TV budget. Wouldn't TNT be even lower-budget than network?

Somehow, I'm a little wary of welcoming this series into the Arrow/Flash shared universe. I'm almost surprised they're not positioning Cyborg as the leading role instead of Dick.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Haven't read the thread yet, here's what I thought:

This episode did a lot of good work for Barry. His confession to Iris went about as well as it possibly could have and went a long way towards making him less creepy and more like just a guy who likes a girl. He already had a crush on her before moving in, so any "pseudo-incest" complaints are totally washed IMO. And they also gave what I thought was a really, really good excuse for why he never told her how he felt. Losing both your parents is a pretty good reason to become paranoid about losing your loved ones. He was also just totally honest and straight-forward about it and then at the party he acted fine, too.

Also Eddie's "gift" was bullshit. It seems really cool, but it's not actually any kind of real commitment. If they break up, she'll just move out. A real commitment would be moving into a new place belonging to both of them. I'm not saying Eddie's bad or anything, he's just more mediocre than he seems.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

zoux posted:

Me too. Much like they are very aware of comics readers' knowledge for the fan service-y bits (FLASH RING) I think they are using that knowledge to lay down some red herrings, like RF maddogging Eddie.

I've heard it said that the producers don't intend to do Killer Frost but on the other hand fire vs. ice is awful tempting. I do wonder what their long term plan with Firestorm is going to be, if he's going to become a regular member of the team or just a dude who shows up for a two-parter every season.

Well, "not doing Killer Frost" could mean any number of things. It could just mean she's not gonna turn into Evil Super Villainness Killer Frost, but she may still get powers? Really who knows, they're going crazy with the lore on this show.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

zoux posted:

People who are like "Errrrrr excuse me if the Flash's stated top speed is 600 mph then how can he deal with bullets which travel faster than that hmmmmmm".

I wouldn't care at all about this stuff, but if you keep drilling it into the audience over and over that it's extremely important to the plot that Barry can only run at this particular speed, and then have him completely disregard that whenever you want to, that's kinda dumb.

What I'm saying is it'd be fine if they didn't make the key plot point of almost every episode that the Flash has to run at "x specific speed". Just stop doing that.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

zoux posted:

It's never been a plot point? He's always been able to run as fast as he needed to.

You know I hadn't thought of it that way. They set up the plot as if there's tension as to whether Barry will be able to run a certain speed, but that's really just doubt on the side of the tech squad, huh?

Your point was good and it made me not just a whiny nerd, but a whiny nerd without a valid complaint which is the worst sort of whiny nerd.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I dont know posted:

I don't know if it's true or not, but supposedly when John Wesley Shipp was cast they didn't actually plan on using him as much more than the occasional cameo. However, after shooting his scene with Gustin in the pilot, their chemistry together was so good that the writers made a point of adding more scenes with him.

He's really loving earning it. Barry's Two Dads both kick rear end.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

As far as Super-Gitmo goes, there's been an ongoing thread all season that Wells is a psychopath and a bad influence on Barry, and that he's got a blind spot there. Like when Wells convinced Barry to just let Captain Cold & Heatwave continue their crimespree unabated, because the harm they cause isn't important enough to prevent. This seems like more of that.

Hell, it's the same thing with Cisco and Caitlin. Even after they found out that Wells knowingly recklessly endangered the entire city, they're still following him and giving him the benefit of the doubt. Eventually everyone will realize Wells is sorta evil and definitely insane, and that he's been influencing them to do a bunch of really horrible poo poo for a really long time.

Joe would be a perfect person to show some doubt about this prison right now. He's part of the normal legal system, a pretty by-the-books guy, and already distrusts Wells. It'd be easy to have a scene at the start of an episode some time where he's walking and and just saying "So, you guys just lock up the criminals here, no trial, no release, solitary confinement?" "Well sure Joe, what are we supposed to do, Iron Heights wouldn't be able to hold them!" and then he just sorta raises an eyebrow with wide, suspicious eyes like he does

and they leave the issue at that for the time being.

But like others are saying, it kinda seems like they're intentionally avoiding that issue.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 4, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Yes. Absolutely. In fact trying to improve the show would be inadvisable because it could alienate part of the audience who likes the bad stuff.

But my point was that you can debate it all you like, but the show doesn't need to address it.

A show is not a conscious entity. The CW executives do not need to address it. Any of the writers that care about writing a good series should probably address it, at least eventually.

Do also keep in mind that many of the most popular series of recent years have also been the most well written stuff TV has ever seen. It's false to say that only dumb garbage is successful.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I'm more concerned with the idea that the Police Department didn't have any other forensic technicians the entire time that Barry was in his coma, and that they also apparently left his lab untouched the entire time he was away. How many crimes went unsolved because of this bad budgeting?

I think he had his own offsite crime lab in his personal apartment (which I guess he is still paying for even after moving in with Joe? :iiam:). Which i guess only raises another whole set of questions about how the hell that department is running their forensics.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Nah, that messy-looking warehouse space...place... is located in the police building. We've seen Barry (and others) walking to there from the main lobby plenty of times.

Huh, I guess you're right. So, then where did he live? Did they ever show his apartment, or did he just live in the attic of the police station like a loving weirdo?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I don't know why everyone assumes they're isolated from each other.

The cells are on movable tracks, right? So, they probably go to the same place? They are all in a cell block together where they can see and talk to each other. (Well, peekaboo can't see) It's not as good as having a cell mate physically in your room, but there are pretty obvious reasons to avoid that.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Valeyard posted:

So I was rewatching some Flash episodes. When we see Young Barry wake up and go downstairs the night his mum was murdered, do we have any guesses what was causing the water in his fish tank to go all floaty the same way it did when the particle accelerator blow up?

Time travel would be a good guess.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

It's the stupidest loving compaint. They've shown the cells multiple times days after the people have been incarcerated, and there hasn't been any human waste on the floor. Something's happening. It's not that important.

There are elements of the Pipeline that are troubling but "HOW DO THEY POOP????" is not one of them. You're making your argument look worse by focusing on the stupidest, most spergy details possible and distracting from the few possible worthwhile arguments that you might actually be able to make.

The crew didn't have bathrooms in their living quarters on Star Trek, either, and it wasn't a story about unethical treatment of armed forces. Pooping just didn't matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAKQzZfpaz8

If it's good enough for Commander Riker, it's good enough for the Rogues.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

And yes, of course it will be addressed eventually. No one is saying that it won't. But that doesn't make the massive timeframe where it wasn't addressed any more palatable. It's like watching season 1 of Arrow and someone says "Ah, buck up, this stupid annoying love triangle won't be around forever, just for the majority of the season!" Well, that's great, but is that supposed to make those majority of episodes any easier to stomach? Except in this case it's not a love triangle and, y'know, more like human rights abuses depicted in a casual victorious manner.

That's not an apt comparison, though. The love-triangle wasn't meant to be disturbing, and was never revealed to be something that you should have realized was disturbing all along.

A better example would be Ollie's reckless murdering. It wasn't treated as a "big deal" by the main character early on, but it was in fact a hosed up thing that a moral person should have been upset by. And it was meant to be that way. And they eventually addressed it.

Yes, the lack of a toilet in their iso-cubes, or an explanation that their iso-cubes aren't their only living space, is probably just an oversight by the staff. A better show could do a better job with these little details. But complaining about that isn't complaining about bad writing, it's complaining about set-dressing details. Similar to complaining that a character doesn't have enough food in their cabinets in their apartment, or some other petty bullshit like that. Pretending it has anything to do with the writing or the story of the show is a joke.

This is independent from the ethical concerns of vigilantes imprisoning people without a trial, with no clear end in sight, and essentially disappearing them from the outside world and disallowing them any contact with anyone else. That's a writing issue, and will be addressed.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

If it's the creators' intent to make the prison seem disturbing or sketchy as a part of the plot, it's not coming across that way to me at all.

I dunno man it seems like you've picked up on it pretty well.

Right now, Barry is under the influence of a pretty evil guy. The writers are trying to help us get into that headspace, understand how that could happen, empathize with why Barry might do something hosed up but with the best of intentions. We're seeing things largely from Barry's point of view, where Wells is a great mentor, someone to look up to, and everything is Hunky-Dory. They want to set up a twisted view of the world, and then shatter it and have everything come tumbling down. Constantly pointing out the "vileness of their situation" would only serve to undermine that. They're not making the pipeline issue obvious because when they do address it, it's going to be part of the ongoing revelation of Wells as a bastard. Like a plot twist.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Kin posted:

On the other hand though she's allegedly been completely and utterly oblivious to this until he told her. So that doesn't really hold up.

She was oblivious to why he was paying so much attention to her, but she certainly noticed that he was around. She didn't ignore him, she was always happy when he was doting on her and helping her out with poo poo and everything. She just apparently didn't realize it was because he was into her.

This doesn't make her behavior or reactions acceptable or anything, but I could see why she's acting like that.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

jscolon2.0 posted:

Robbie Amell is probably not famous enough for that article. Or they use Jason Rausch.

I don't see how that's possible. He's headlined a CW show before. Even if it failed, Caity Lotz isn't any more famous than he is.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

VDay posted:

None of that actually matters though because we're not just talking about a headline. This is supposedly some leak/rumor/announcement where they specifically named Routh, Lotz, Miller, and Garber. They wouldn't just decide "Hey Firestorm should be in this" and then just ignore the fact that Amell is the guy who, you know, actually plays Firestorm since he has the body.

I'm down for whatever weird thing this ends up being because I'll give the Arrow/Flash writers the benefit of the doubt and assume that they came up with some kind of neat idea, especially if they copy Marvel's Agent Carter and air it in-between seasons. I'm just really confused about what the show is going to be with those people involved.

I mentioned this in the Arrow thread but I think the most sensible answer is an anthology series, like Brave and the Bold/JLU. Snart is just one of the villains that shows up, and Sara and Garber could have flashback episodes, no crazy time-travel/clones/resurrections/fractured universes needed. It works great with the Agent Carter model you mentioned, too; a few quick one-off stories, then back to the main shows.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Windows 98 posted:

Has anyone brought up the idea that the Wells we are currently seeing is helping Barry to kill himself? An original time line happened to create the flash, and his enemy the reverse flash (wells). They duke it out and Wells gets the idea to go back in time to kill Barry's mom. So he does just that and then Barry tries and stop him. He fails knowing he only had time to save his younger self and not his mom. Then original Wells gets stuck in the past due to some broken suit technology. The Wells we are currently seeing in the show is technically the Wells from the future of the "original" time line. He spends the next years of his life becoming a scientist and building the reactor to fail intentionally so he can create Barry. He creates Barry to train him so when the future becomes reality again, and the time he travels back to Wells, he kills him.

This might even leave room for where original timeline Barry is. I hope that makes sense.

E: durr. I forgot to mention that the reverse flash that has been kicking Barry's rear end is actually Wells, BUT from the current period of time. To clarify cause I think I'm explaining this poorly.

Original thing that happened: Barry and RF(Wells) are the same age-ish. They grow up and become speedsters and become arch enemies. Wells, as a young man, tries to go back in time and kill Barry's mom. Barry's tries and fails to stop him. Both of them get stuck in the past, or at least Wells does. Wells is then forced to live out to his current age (in the time period we are watching), and trains Barry. Meanwhile, Baby Wells from the timeline we are watching has grown up and already become the RF. Wells feeling guilty decides to train the Flash to go back in time and kill himself so that it would eliminate his entire life from the time stream. Saving Barry's mom and also altering history so Baby Wells never exists to then become the RF. And Wells never goes back in time in the first place. Basically sacrificing himself for a better future after experiencing years of guilt.

It's a neat idea. One question, though; why would doing that prevent Baby Wells from existing? Are you suggesting that Wheels-Wells is trying to train Barry to kill him as a child, preventing him from every growing up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

So what do we think was going on when "Wells" saw RF and told him not to kill Eddie? That's a thing that happened that I'm not making up in my head, right? Who was in the yellow suit at that point? Was it some version of Eobard from earlier in his timeline who was bouncing around through time somehow?

• Locked thread