Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

quakster posted:

man is the only part of creation capable of defying god and therefore should kill god

This is easier to conceptualize if you think of humans as cancer cells inside a body. basically everything else is connected to the cosmic space-time matrix but humans have true freedom and all the consequences that brings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hail Satan

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

Ddraig posted:

did you tip

I did but he seemed upset about it, it's like geez dude did you want me to be a jerk and stiff you?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Yaldabaoth posted:

No Capitalism is just Calvinism with a physical way to measure how much some one is blessed by God

I am the flail of god. Had you not created great sins, god would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Miltank posted:

calvinism has nothing to do with capitalism actually

e:calvinism is good, for example whereas capitalism is bad.

Calvinist beliefs can inspire a certain humbleness of character

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Harime Nui posted:

Calvinist beliefs can inspire a certain humbleness of character

The way Calvinism really works is the natural state of all humans is to wallow in misery and sorrow as punishment for having free will and God picks a few humans at random and blesses them by making them rich so they can live their lives however they want without having to deal with how lovely the world is.

It's actually quite consistent with how God operated in the OT.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Yaldabaoth posted:

The way Calvinism really works is the natural state of all humans is to wallow in misery and sorrow as punishment for having free will and God picks a few humans at random and blesses them by making them rich so they can live their lives however they want without having to deal with how lovely the world is.

Then you get people like Job who god really went out of his way to gently caress with.

Guess it all balances out.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yaldabaoth posted:

humans do not have free will in calvinism its why it sucks so hard bc god punishes u anyway for what he literally cause you to do in his omnipotence

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Yeah.... people think "oh wouldn't Calvinism mean you're automatically going to heaven no matter what, so you'd do whatever," and it's actually like, the reverse, lol

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Orkin Mang posted:

humans do not have free will in calvinism its why it sucks so hard bc god punishes u anyway for what he literally cause you to do in his omnipotence

Well I guess purestrain Calvinism is wrong then because the whole reason why life is poo poo for a lot of humans is because God makes the world a lovely place to punish humans for having free will. If humans didn't have free will then there would be no reason for God to make the world so lovely as punishment.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Yaldabaoth posted:

Well I guess purestrain Calvinism is wrong then because the whole reason why life is poo poo for a lot of humans is because God makes the world a lovely place to punish humans for having free will. If humans didn't have free will then there would be no reason for God to make the world so lovely as punishment.

strict calvinism holds to double predestination, so there is no free will in it. mainstream calvinists like presbyterians generally ignore this along with the parts about the Pope being the Antichrist.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

If you take the Christian theology of Satan as tester of faith to be true, then hailing Satan is the best way to increase your chances of happiness in this life. By doing so you prove your unfaithfulness, thus Satan has no need to cause you adversity. A small act of sin ensures you a fair chance at life without interference from higher beings.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Calvinism is very good and the doctrine of predestination is actually extremely progressive once you realize that hell doesn't exist.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 4, 2014

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Hail statin

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe

Miltank posted:

Calvinism is very good and then doctrine of predestination is actually extremely progressive once you realize that hell doesn't exist.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Calvinists know that christianity (also wealth, beauty, everything) is a privilege that we have been given due in no part to anything that we personally have done aka where we were born and our live experiences. What a Calvinist does with that knowledge is what makes him a bastard or not in terms of his outlook towards the poor, other religions, sexual and gender minorities ect.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 4, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Harime Nui posted:

Yeah.... people think "oh wouldn't Calvinism mean you're automatically going to heaven no matter what, so you'd do whatever," and it's actually like, the reverse, lol

enziarro
Sep 4, 2004

I'm not an angel - I'm a Galactic Pioneer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0PJfUpaKu8

e: would not hail satan, would trade my jacket to him to always be high

enziarro fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 4, 2014

CountButtula
Jan 5, 2014
Sail Hatan

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

"To travel in silence"

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Effectronica posted:

the parts about the Pope being the Antichrist.

wait what I wanna hear more about this it sounds :black101: as gently caress

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

"by a long and circuitous route"

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

"to brave the arrows of misfortune"

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

"and fear neither noose nor fire"

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

"to play the greatest of all games and win"

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
Hail Santa

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

"foregoing no expense"

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

"is to mock the vicissitudes of fate"

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

"and to gain the keys that will unlock"

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
hail satan

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

dad gay. so what posted:

hey maybe EVERYONE in the world is really gay? i mean, obviously everyone in this thread is gay. most people i have seen on tv are gay. kinda makes you think :eng101:

*shits everywhere*

so what

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

"the ninth gate."

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Man, summoning the devil is hard work.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
my wife and i made a really nice dinner tonight. Hail SATAN!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Pawn 17 posted:

"the ninth gate."

Love that novel.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

hail satin

*jerks off through his satin boxers while maintaining eye contact with op*

CountButtula
Jan 5, 2014

Pawn 17 posted:

"the ninth gate."

would

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Excelzior posted:

wait what I wanna hear more about this it sounds :black101: as gently caress

it's part of the westminster confession of faith, which is the central document for all Reformed churches. what it means is that Catholicism is a false faith that actively leads you away from heaven, since this was before premilennial dispensationalism and all that

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Pawn 17 posted:

"the ninth gate."

Is this the part where you set yourself on fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

hail piss

• Locked thread