Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The same reason girls in middle school feel self conscious about getting boobs. Kids just pick on each other for being different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagrange
Apr 27, 2002

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was only addressing the "were you always tall" part and went off on a tangent.

The rest of it was often just run of the mill new kid syndrome, and I should've left humiliation off the list either way because that comes from one incident that's tattooed on my brain: On one particular first day, my first class was wood shop and I'd moved a stool from another table to mine. Anyway, it was apparently some guy's customary stool and someone must've told him I took it.

He came up behind me and pulled the stool out from under me, and because I never saw him coming I dropped straight down onto the floor like a sack of flour. The whole class laughed, etc., and because I was so stunned by it that by the time I even considered some kind of reaction the teacher was in the room and I couldn't do anything but sit there amidst the looks and chuckles for 50 minutes.

I have a pretty thick skin, but that was plenty humiliating. Particularly because word of that sort of thing spreads like wildfire among stupid junior high kids. Everyone knew about it by lunch.

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
I'm a woman and I'm 6'1. My husband is 5'7. We've mastered the art of not giving a gently caress. I did used to get really selfconscious about it as a kid, because I was an early bloomer and hit my full height around age 11-12. Even in elementary school I was always taller than most of my teachers, and the tallest kid in the grade by far. Now the only thing that bugs me is buying shoes. I wear a size 12 and I tried to buy feminine boots for work last night - normally I stomp around in Doc Martens - and even Nordstrom's literally had nothing. Ugly ballet flats again. Well, that and the various minor health issues that have tended to magnify as I get older. I'm not sure how closely it's related to my height, but my entire torso is rotated relative to my hips and pelvis, so I have a lot of sciatic nerve pain and my right QL muscle is cramped rock-hard 99% of the time. It doesn't keep me from doing anything, but it also means that as an athlete, that kind of pain is just a normal part of life for me.

One time my husband and I were boarding a plane together, and someone ahead of us had commented on the height of one of the flight attendants. She was maybe a little shorter than me. She responded to him by saying something like 'yeah, it's awful, I can only date 1% of men, I've been single forever'. I like to think it made her smile when my husband and I walked by a minute later :unsmith:

e: as far as teasing, people used to call me 'spider' in middle school because I was really long-limbed and really thin (I grew about a foot in a year or two, and didn't gain any weight at the same time). Adults were worse than kids though, people always thought I was much older than I was which tended to range from creepy to confusing to distressing. People always assumed that I was much less emotionally labile than I was, because they assumed I was an older teenager from the time I was about 10 or 11, so I was the butt of a lot of good-natured jokes that actually really bothered me at the time.

God Over Djinn fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 11, 2014

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

God Over Djinn posted:

e: as far as teasing, people used to call me 'spider' in middle school because I was really long-limbed and really thin

Yeah. This is what people usually mean when they say they were made fun of for being tall. It isn't the 'being tall,' it's the gangly and goofy Marfan Syndrome-y stuff.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

CanUSayGym posted:

Knees squarely into the back then. I'm an rear end in a top hat when it comes to flights and people in front of me if I don't get exit row or bulkhead. I also try and make buddy with the flight attendants to let me stretch my legs into the aisle and wake me up when they come by with the drink tray. Only had a couple problems with this ever, but one was a red-eye so the cabin was dark and they didn't want people to trip understandably.

I hate the fact that "Big&Tall" slowly became "Big". I'm 6'7 and used to find jeans and pants no problem. My favorite part of going to that section now is to find the widest&shortest size: Record is 50/32. Clothes buying in general sucks.

Just so you know its like this at mid heights as well. I'm 6'1" and if I try to buy any of the cheaper button up shirts its like putting a sail on and nothing tucks in right.

Though like the other guy my inseam is short (30) but my groin to waist is not so I have to try everything on until I find something that doesn't give me a wedgie. These days I just tailor the lengths back a bit from longer pants.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

God Over Djinn posted:

e: as far as teasing, people used to call me 'spider' in middle school because I was really long-limbed and really thin (I grew about a foot in a year or two, and didn't gain any weight at the same time).

I was 'toothpick'. I was 6 feet tall and weighed 100 pounds. I was mercilessly bullied about being bulimic and anorexic. It doesn't matter how many loving people you have in life, those jibes at school change who you are. On top of everything, it was painful to grow that fast.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I was 'blade of grass', which works better in my language than in English. Thanks for reminding me guys. :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Now I feel left out. My high school bully name was "Salty Balls".

Toys For Twats
Sep 30, 2007
One awesome dude
6'7"and about 280lb here, I used play rugby semi-professionally so I'm just a big guy overall. Been living in China for the last few years, so that's lead to a few funny height related stories.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

cabbagedude posted:

6'7"and about 280lb here, I used play rugby semi-professionally so I'm just a big guy overall. Been living in China for the last few years, so that's lead to a few funny height related stories.

Tell them!

I'm moving to Korea in a few weeks and I wonder if the experience will be similar.

Splice
Jul 14, 2012

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I'm curious about other tall people's dating experiences. I think the tallest woman I dated was 5'10'' and the shortest was about 5'1'', it makes a difference but I don't like to say that because it sounds shallow. Kissing logistics are always tricky, usually it's best if she's standing on a ledge or we're both sitting down. Have any of the tall guys here dated a woman close to their height? I've heard tall couples get stared at more, but I've never even met a woman my height.

I'm 6'5. I dated a girl for awhile who was just a few shy of me. In heels she could be taller. Nothing really unusual about it but kissing logistics as you mention were not an issue. If she was wearing high heels, I'd have to aim up a bit. As for random commentary/stares- Yes. Mostly from girls giving her catty shoe compliments which in girl code meant "You have huge rear end feet". I never really thought much of the comments until one night she cold cocked some bitch out flat. When she was younger she caught a lot of flak for her height obviously.

Given the general tone of the thread from the invasion of an angry manlet, I'll just say being tall is overall awesome. I've never really had a problem with short guys starting crap other than the one-up sprees they go on so I really don't feel the need to respond other than just being a dick. I fit in a mini-cooper so cars aren't an issue. I just normally drive extended cab trucks. Then again being something like 7'0 could be a different scenario. Personally I would love to be so tall as to position my junk into someone's eye level on regular basis.

I too would like to hear about behemoth related stories from China.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

My new apartment's balcony guardrail is only about 3'6" high and it makes me very scared to go out there.

Lagrange
Apr 27, 2002

Alan Trammell posted:

My new apartment's balcony guardrail is only about 3'6" high and it makes me very scared to go out there.

I don't have a balcony, but I went hot air ballooning once and the gondola came up to about mid-thigh. It was fine down low, but when we got up to about 12000 ft. it became a wild ride. I had a vice grip on everything nearby, and eventually opined that it might be better if we went down. Like, WAY down.

The good news is that as it turns out skimming along lower, especially at about 3 feet or so, is a hoot. You'll be zipping along right over a corn field or something (sometimes even down in the field a bit), and suddenly you'll notice a stand of big trees right in your way. The closer you get the more unnerving it becomes, and then about 20 feet or so from the trees the guy will give it a long blast and you go up like an elevator and clear them. Wild.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I am 195cm tall so just shy of 6'5". The only new thing that I have to add about being tall is that I often get people who are like 6'-6'2" saying that I must be 6'10" or something because they are 6'5". They then get really offended when I tell them that I am in fact 6'5" so this probably isn't the case. Maybe its an Australian thing because we use the metric system but people still talk about height in feet so maybe they get confused? I dunno it is really weird though.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Welp, just went to one of those converter sites to check, turns out I had converted it wrong all this time. I'm somewhere around 6"8' or 6"9'.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Browsing this thread. Did anyone mention oddball shoe company yet? I used to dread shoe shopping but they have all your giant and wide shoe options. Can't even get them direct from the manufacturer but these dudes will have the style. It was a god send when I discovered them many years ago. 6 foot 6 crew represent! My favorite comment is "you can't be Mexican because you are tall!"

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Browsing this thread. Did anyone mention oddball shoe company yet? I used to dread shoe shopping but they have all your giant and wide shoe options. Can't even get them direct from the manufacturer but these dudes will have the style. It was a god send when I discovered them many years ago. 6 foot 6 crew represent! My favorite comment is "you can't be Mexican because you are tall!"

I wear Dickies size 14 boots because my pinkie and big toe get painfully mashed against the adjacent toes in most every other shoe I've tried. I'm 6'5" with a worker's build, so I'm a giant, weirdly proportioned, freak all over.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

DangerZoneDelux posted:

As a fellow 6'6"er with completely flat feet, you may have just saved my legs years of pain. I've been forgoing shoes in favor of work boots for years just to get enough room.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

DangerZoneDelux posted:

My favorite comment is "you can't be Mexican because you are tall!"

[I shouldn't be allowed in this thread because I'm a 5'4" woman but] one of my friends is a 6'4" Filipino dude, and he gets the same kind of comments.

I used to live with him, a 6'1" guy, and two girls who were both 6'0". When we all moved in together, the two girls instantly bonded over their height, and it was really interesting to see them quickly change their posture for the better and frequently say how happy they were to be in a house with other tall people. (Plus me. :))

[The only downside living in that house for me was that not only were all my friends tall, they were all athletes and could eat like elephants without gaining weight. I put on about 15 pounds in the first two months of living together because I would match their portion sizes at meals, and that catches up with you fast when you're a short non-athlete.]

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

DangerZoneDelux posted:

New Balance is also good, especially for getting wide sizes

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
Anyone have more good suggestions for clothes shopping? I tried Express, and they fit pretty well but are rather expensive. It's shame the 'and' in big and tall means you must be both to get fitting clothes.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I'm not sure if the men's jeans are the same, but Silver jeans are my go to. They carry longer inseams and they actually fit through my thighs and hips. Round 80 bucks a pair in Canada, though.

ETA I just checked their website, men's have 36 inch inseam, women's have 35.

Echeveria fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 17, 2014

Toys For Twats
Sep 30, 2007
One awesome dude

Bacarruda posted:

Tell them!

I'm moving to Korea in a few weeks and I wonder if the experience will be similar.

Apart from being asked 50 times a day if I play basketball (I didn't when I got there), I've been employed in security and private bodyguard work just for my size, as well as being in a few adverts and movie extra stuff, so it's been pretty positive overall. I also get given a lot of free drinks when I go out haha.

When I lived in the North the people were noticeably taller than they are where I live now further South, the tallest girl I've ever dated was a 6'4" Chinese girl funnily enough.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

MarsellusWallace posted:

Anyone have more good suggestions for clothes shopping? I tried Express, and they fit pretty well but are rather expensive. It's shame the 'and' in big and tall means you must be both to get fitting clothes.

I'm 6'5" and I buy all my jeans (and a lot of tee shirts) at Old Navy's website. I know, I know, but they carry most of their pants from 32" to 44" waists with a 36" inseam.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I'm 6'10". A few people mentioned a "different worldview" and there's a few things that I've noticed.

A standard door is 6'8". IF you're under 6'8" with boots on, you don't give a drat about the height of doors and probably never noticed. I subconsciously duck when I go through a doorway and don't even notice, but other people point it out. This instinct gets thrown off by wearing boots and I'll clip my head occasionally. The real difference in noticing things differently is construction in tight spaces. A lot of stairways have a higher ceiling at the top, and it slants down and is a lot shorter towards the bottom of the staircase. Both my brother and I have accidentally put our heads through the ceiling of the stairway into our basement.

I also encountered a lot of problems in college due to inconsistent construction. Some doorways were a bit higher and had gaps at the top/bottom, at least one doorway was installed improperly and the top of the door was sawed down to fit the doorway, so it was an inch shorter than a standard door. The heights of the door handles also varied a bit. While that's not a big deal to most people, I instinctively reach for the handle to push it down, duck a bit, and push the door open with my shoulder. Worked on every door in the building but one, where the door handle was just a little bit lower. I'd go to open the door, but before the handle went all the way down, my shoulder would hit the door and push it, then the bolt would unlash, and it would make a really loud sound, like I was exploding through the door. Then there were the magnalocks on doors - the sharpest, pointiest device ever hung at head level. Different models for different doors make for more dangerous objects at inconsistent heights in front of my head. I really hated these because I would often have to use a cart to move stuff for work. Carts are made for short people, so I have to lean down to put my hand on the handle. Leaning over to push a cart, not looking up at all of these sharp magnalocks hanging at head level. The drat things didn't even work, which was the worst part.

Bending and leaning over for things is a set of problems that it took me years to figure out. I don't really notice at first because leaning down a few inches is routines. Shopping carts and lawnmowers usually have handles a few inches out of my reach. Leaning down a bit to look at the screen on my laptop when it's on my lap, for a couple hours a day, causes a lot of back pain. Driving can also cause all sorts of soreness, even if I more or less fit in a car. A little bit of bending done repeatedly for an hour ends up hurting. Wearing boots adds an extra inch to my leg, which bends my ankle a bit more, and after an hour of driving my achilles tendon hurts. Steering and shoulder pain is another weird set of quirks of wedging yourself into a vehicle. Old Lincoln Town Cars were great, but the rise of SUVs has corresponded with large cars becoming less suitable for tall people, while a select few short buses that cost a lot of money and get 12mpg are roomy enough for really tall people. I have a disdain for SUVs because they're a lot bigger than cars, but my knees hit the dashboard and my head hits the roof in a lot of them.

But enough of the complaints of difficulties of being tall, the best thing in life as a really tall person is going to concerts. Club shows where I always have a perfect view, anywhere. Shows without a stage, I can see the band just fine. Shows with huge mosh pits - if I stand near the pit with my elbow out, nobody bothers me, and I can hurl people around for sport. gently caress anything with seating though, seats are not made for big people. Being right in front (and blocking your view) can be awesome too - I've spent some shows right in front of some amazing guitarists, with my face at guitar level, watching their technique. I've gotten to sing plenty of songs because I was literally right in front of the singer. I've even made the most of an oversold show, when tons of people jumped the barrier into the pit area at a Slayer show, and crowdsurfed. A question to other really tall people - have you ever crowdsurfed, or done anything else totally inappropriate and dangerous for your size?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Zodijackylite posted:

But enough of the complaints of difficulties of being tall, the best thing in life as a really tall person is going to concerts.

I always feel guilty at concerts though because unless I am standing all the way in the back I am inevitably blocking someone, which sucks. I usually try to stand somewhere on the side where I can still get a decent view of the stage without having anyone behind me but that doesn't always work and I hate the fact that I might be ruining someone's experience just by standing there.

WreckSov
Aug 26, 2011
I'm 6'2", which isn't even that tall. This makes it annoying for me when I get comments, and being the tallest person in a room is an odd feeling. Growing up I was always behind the curve of my peers' growth, and at 22 I still meet extended family and old high school friends who tell me how much taller I've gotten. I've always considered myself of average height and build.

My close friends are all roughly the same height: I'd be third tallest of our group, with one man mountain at 6'7"-ish and built like a fridge. At one of my jobs I'm below the average height of my immediate colleagues, and at my other there are only three or four people company-wide who are taller.

I'll also add that the world isn't designed for tall people or even average people. Bloody short people.

e: I dance ballroom, and it's like loving christmas when I get the opportunity to dance with a woman who can meet my height

WreckSov fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 20, 2014

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
For you really tall people, have you ever been denied access to an amusement park ride for being too tall? At just over 6', I've certainly felt cramped in some rides before, so I can only imagine how they'd be for someone with an extra 8" or more.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I went on this roller coaster back in high school, when I was about 6'4". It's a stand-up one and I was barely able to squeeze in. This was a bad idea, as my knees soon found out.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Alan Trammell posted:

I went on this roller coaster back in high school, when I was about 6'4". It's a stand-up one and I was barely able to squeeze in. This was a bad idea, as my knees soon found out.

I once went on a roller coaster which had a maximum height limit that I exceeded. The attendant was hesitant to let me on, after some deliberation she agreed to let me ride as long as I promised to keep my head tucked in. That was one of the most thrilling/terrifying roller coaster experiences I've had.

VV The shoulder harnesses on Space Mountain (the Paris one) are the worst I've encountered, I was genuinely worried that they were going to chip my shoulder blades or something.

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 20, 2014

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Chaitai posted:

For you really tall people, have you ever been denied access to an amusement park ride for being too tall? At just over 6', I've certainly felt cramped in some rides before, so I can only imagine how they'd be for someone with an extra 8" or more.

Yup, and there's plenty of rides I just don't go on because the bolts don't close properly or wreak havoc on my shoulders.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Roller Coasters just make my neck hurt for days.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tea Bone posted:

I once went on a roller coaster which had a maximum height limit that I exceeded. The attendant was hesitant to let me on, after some deliberation she agreed to let me ride as long as I promised to keep my head tucked in. That was one of the most thrilling/terrifying roller coaster experiences I've had.

VV The shoulder harnesses on Space Mountain (the Paris one) are the worst I've encountered, I was genuinely worried that they were going to chip my shoulder blades or something.

The shoulder harnesses on Rock'n Roller Coaster at Disney World are literally Satan and Hitler put together. WHY DO YOU HATE TALL PEOPLE, WALT?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

MarsellusWallace posted:

We can't really be picky so I just shop Ralph Lauren for polos and button ups. And they have a Big and Tall section. You don't have to be both big and tall since you have options of Tall or Big. For example a Tall X will be longer than a Big 1X but won't billow outward.

Dillard's will also have a Big and Tall men's section with those fits as well

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

MarsellusWallace posted:

I've resigned to just getting stuff altered. Its a little more expensive but does the trick. Try to find non pleated shirts that are long enough and fit across the shoulders and get them taken in. Choices are still limited but it does broaden the horizons a bit.

For jeans Levi 501's come in a 36 leg down to a 33 waist I believe.

If your in the UK TM Lewin sell a great range of shirt sizes. Sleeve length can be a problem, but they sell 37" online and I can get away with a 36 if I'm not wearing a jacket, for dress shirts French cuffs tend to come up a little longer than the label as well. If you need to tuck your shirt, they're dorky as gently caress but shirt stays are a God send when you only have a few inches of fabric past your waist.

KillHour posted:

The shoulder harnesses on Rock'n Roller Coaster at Disney World are literally Satan and Hitler put together. WHY DO YOU HATE TALL PEOPLE, WALT?

It's a small (persons) world.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'm 6'2, which makes me the shortest man on my Dad's side of the family by a decent margin. My Grandpa, Dad, Uncle and two cousins range from about 6'5 to 6'9.

It's fun to show people pictures of family gatherings when they're used to me being pretty tall.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I would like to raise another point: who decided that kitchen counters need to be short as all gently caress? I'm probably developing back problems from cooking, and I'm only 6'2". I want to get a six-inch thick cutting board or something. First house I build, all the counters are going up at least six goddamn inches.

ValleyGirl
Apr 4, 2014

Orininated in the Silicon Valley, emigrated to the San Fernando - ValleyGirl is THE distinctive high-tech caricature of a single white paraplegic female IT geek and ubernerd for all things scifi, political, aviation, and fast cars.
I'm pretty tall, too - at least if I were standing up, but nowhere near 6'7"...

One issue I can imagine you having - and tell me if this is true - you must have had a very difficult time in finding a car to drive that you were able to fit into comfortably. I know that I felt cramped when I looked at a Porsche 911, I couldn't even get my knees into a Honda S2000, same with the Miata, and Alfa Spyder... but most to all mid-size and even compact cars do fit me well enough to be comfortable... but at 6'7" I can imagine your options are more limited. So - what do you drive?

Do you have problems clearing doorways? I don't know what the standard height of a door arch is in a house...

Does the height cause relationship issues? Do potential partners find the height intimidating?

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Yeah cars can be an issue. At the moment I drive a Toyota Auris which has plenty of leg room, however, my seat is so far back and low down I can't really see my bonnet which can be frustrating when trying to park. In some senses though the limited choice is kind of nice, when I was buying my car, I was torn between a Prius, Honda Civic or an Auris. The Auris was the only one I fit in so that made the decision easy.

Learning to drive was a pain in the arse, having to find a driving school which had cars that I fit in.

I think the standard door frame height is around 6'5". When I was 16 I actually knocked myself out running into a door frame, I was wearing trainers with a slight heel and didn't duck quite enough. In general though doors aren't much of a problem now, when I was still growing and only around half an inch taller than door frames I was forever walking into them. Now I'm significantly taller than them it's clear that I have to duck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I'm 6'3" and change, my gf is 5'2"

It's like this running joke we only realise how different in height we are when we see a picture of ourselves together.

I'm pretty goddamn skinny, so I had to get the suit made because otherwise theres no way in hell it would fit right. Sleeves are NEVER long enough.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 21, 2014

• Locked thread