Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

UFC Fight Night 53: Nelson vs. Story - Stockholm, Sweden (October 4th)

Gunnar "Gunni" Nelson (13-0-1)

Facts
  • Left Iceland to move in with Renzo Gracie and become a BJJ black belt
  • Choked out a dozen MMO developers (in one sitting)
  • Cold, seemingly emotionless grappling savant, may be terminator robot (unfair?)
Highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLifyl4cGJU

Rick "The Horror" Story (17-8)

Facts
  • Is in the National Guard for some reason
  • Beat current Welterweight champion Johny Hendricks
Highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUZgOQ5QX_Q

Main Card (UFC FightPass) - 3:00PM EDT / 12:00PM PDT
  • Gunnar Nelson vs. Rick Story
  • Akira Corassani vs. Max Holloway
  • Ilir Latifi vs. Jan Błachowicz
  • Niklas Bäckström vs. Mike Wilkinson
Prelims (UFC FightPass) - 12:10PM EDT / 9:10AM PDT
  • Magnus Cedenblad vs. Scott Askham
  • Nico Musoke vs. Alexander Yakovlev
  • Dennis Siver vs. Charles Rosa
  • Cathal Pendred vs. Gasan Umalatov
  • Tor Troéng vs. Krzysztof Jotko
  • Mairbek Taisumov vs. Marcin Bandel
  • Zubaira Tukhugov vs. Ernest Chavez
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3HrbOOt_zw

UFC Fight Night 54: MacDonald vs. Saffiedine - Halifax, Nova Scotia (October 4th)

Rory "Ares" MacDonald (17-2)

Facts
  • Heck of a jab for an SS officer
  • Someone inherited his old phone number & picked his walkout music and UFC realised it was an impostor after the guy picked Nickelback
  • Dies at the end of Disc 1
Highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX-b3CKXI-A

Tarec "Sponge" Saffiedine (15-3)

Facts
  • Former Strikeforce Welterweight champion
  • Belgian, possesses virtually no sponge-like qualities
  • Almost got knocked out by The Black Knight from Monty Python in UFC debut
Highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC1juwuj34k

Main Card (Fox Sports 1) - 10:00PM EDT / 7:00PM PDT
  • Rory MacDonald vs. Tarec Saffiedine
  • Raphael Assunção vs. Bryan Caraway
  • Chad Laprise vs. Yosdenis Cedeno
  • Elias Theodorou vs. Bruno Santos
  • Nordine Taleb vs. Li Jingliang
  • Mitch Gagnon vs. Roman Salazar
Prelims (Fox Sports 2) - 8:00PM EDT / 5:00PM PDT
  • Daron Cruickshank vs. Anthony Njoukuani
  • Oliver Aubin-Mercier vs. Jake Lindsey
  • Jason Saggo vs. Paul Felder
  • Patrick Holohan vs. Chris Kelades
Prelims (UFC FightPass) - 7:00PM EDT / 4:00PM PDT
  • Albert Tumenov vs. Matt Dwyer
  • Pedro Munhoz vs. Jerrod Sanders
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elyylI-sC7E

handsome only face fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nONpDqy6zvo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz-64TItVN8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmgxEg-1fQk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLb2d7SML4A

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Five Russian/Chechen/Dagestani fighters - is this being co-promoted with M-1 Global?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
The only thing I recognize in these weigh-ins so far are the ugly orange seats of the local arena

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Even by mma standards, that is a remarkably stupid-looking haircut.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Assuncao coming in at 135 is a good sign for him, iirc he's had some rough cuts in the past

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I'm excited to see Tarec fight someone who may, idk, consider checking his leg kicks

Since Rory is a VERY ADVANCED,,,, TECHNICAL,, striker this may come into play

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I dont remember his more recent fights but in his earlier ones he fought in the gsp/mcgregor style lunge which isnt great for checking kicks

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I think we're all in agreement about wanting to see Bryan Caraway get knocked out? Or coast to a decision loss.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Ewar Woowar posted:

I think we're all in agreement about wanting to see Bryan Caraway get knocked out? Or coast to a decision loss.

Subbed in 15 seconds

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Ewar Woowar posted:

Destroyed over 3 rounds, so he can't say that it was an early stoppage.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Have they explained why they're having 2 fight nights in one day? prelims start at noon :laffo: Like someone said, it's 12 hours of UFC with only a few fights worth watching.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Ewar Woowar posted:

Mauled by an escaped tiger.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Trast posted:

Mauled by an escaped tiger.

Nova Scotia is well known for its tigers so this could happen.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

david carmichael posted:

I dont remember his more recent fights but in his earlier ones he fought in the gsp/mcgregor style lunge which isnt great for checking kicks

The only damage Woodley managed to inflict in their fight came through low kicks but rory quickly started to get the timing and counter punched with straight rights ,I don't think he even tried to check them once .

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 4, 2014

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Lamadrid posted:

The only damage Woodley managed to inflict in their fight came through low kicks but rory quickly started to get the timing and counter punched with straight rights.

I think it's safe to say that Tarec's kicking game is way better than Woodley's but will be severely limited by the threat of the takedown.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I think it's safe to say that Tarec's kicking game is way better than Woodley's but will be severely limited by the threat of the takedown.

I dunno, do you figure Rory is really that much better a wrestler than Marquardt?

(This is in no way an endorsement of Marquardt, who is bad)

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I haven't seen tarec fighting but Cerrone put a clinic against alvarez on how to kick box and defend the takedown.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 4, 2014

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lamadrid posted:

I haven't seen tarec fighting but Cerrone put a clinic against alvarez on how to kick box and defend the takedown.

"I haven't seen Tarec fight, but a guy with no relation to him put on a clinic against a guy who also has no relation to him!"

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

fatherdog posted:

I dunno, do you figure Rory is really that much better a wrestler than Marquardt?

You've got a point. Also, I don't remember the last time Rory tried to wrestle anyone. Then again I can barely remember anything about his fights even though I've seen all of his UFC fights.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You've got a point. Also, I don't remember the last time Rory tried to wrestle anyone. Then again I can barely remember anything about his fights.

I think Rory has really good GnP from the top when he does get people down, but his wrestling is only okay and benefits a lot from him having been outstriking the majority of people that he got takedowns on.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

fatherdog posted:

Probably not now that I think about that. Please don't make me hopeful.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You've got a point. Also, I don't remember the last time Rory tried to wrestle anyone. Then again I can barely remember anything about his fights even though I've seen all of his UFC fights.

Rory is a pretty intelligent fighter, he looks to keep people outside with his jab early and then when there's a minute or so to go he likes to shoot in on a guy or press them against the cage and earn the round in a more dominant fashion.

When he gets guys in bad positions he's punishing on top, but he's not a mauler who looks for the finish, he's a methodical dude in both departments. He struggles against southpaws for the same reason most jab heavy orthodox fighters do, but he's good enough to beat saffedine. I think Tarec could benefit from working Rory's body and legs with kicks, but I have only seen him fight once so I don't know what to say about his take down defense or his ability to force a guy into scrambles.

I'm almost willing to bet the house on Rory by points, but MacDonald doesn't have an all world chin and saffedine can do pretty major damage from the clinch.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

BlindSite posted:

When he gets guys in bad positions he's punishing on top, but he's not a mauler who looks for the finish, he's a methodical dude in both departments. He struggles against southpaws for the same reason most jab heavy orthodox fighters do, but he's good enough to beat saffedine. I think Tarec could benefit from working Rory's body and legs with kicks, but I have only seen him fight once so I don't know what to say about his take down defense or his ability to force a guy into scrambles.

I'm almost willing to bet the house on Rory by points, but MacDonald doesn't have an all world chin and saffedine can do pretty major damage from the clinch.

Saffiedine's stance is also a possible challenge for Rory offensively, because it sets up the inside leg kick. Those don't have quite the same risk of getting caught and converted to a takedown. If Saffiedine is successful smothering the jab and working the inside of Rory's lead leg, Rory could be in some serious trouble. The way Tarec kicks the legs, MacDonald can't take many of those before his movement and especially his shot start to leave him--and if he isn't moving well, can't shoot effectively, and his jab isn't working, I don't know what assets he has. Good body kicks, I guess? There's also the issue of his heart or lack thereof, which might be exaggerated but I really don't see him as having the guts to get mauled for several rounds only to gut his way back into the fight the way Lim did.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

EvanSchenck posted:

I really don't see him as having the guts to get mauled for several rounds only to gut his way back into the fight the way Lim did.

The people you could say this about number in the billions.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The people you could say this about number in the billions.

true, true

just trying to say, Rory is way more of a front-runner than a closer so I think if Saffiedine starts hurting him early he might never get started

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

fatherdog posted:

"I haven't seen Tarec fight, but a guy with no relation to him put on a clinic against a guy who also has no relation to him!"

It wasn't my intention to compare directly but to comment that there are ways to work around the threat of the takedown without losing the capability to kick the poo poo out of someone :saddowns:

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Lamadrid posted:

It wasn't my intention to compare directly but to comment that there are ways to work around the threat of the takedown without losing the capability to kick the poo poo out of someone :saddowns:

yeah crocop exists

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

fatherdog posted:

I think Rory has really good GnP from the top when he does get people down, but his wrestling is only okay and benefits a lot from him having been outstriking the majority of people that he got takedowns on.

Does that include Condit? Or was it just because Condit's takedown defence is Diaz-esque?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

Does that include Condit? Or was it just because Condit's takedown defence is Diaz-esque?

He took Condit down a lot but so does everybody else. IIRC that fight was actually fairly close in the stand up but Rory was winning because of the takedowns, the problem with Condit being he's really good at getting back up but that just means he gets taken down a million times.

I really think that fight can be chalked up to experience, I think Rory had never had a guy who could take everything he gave him and just keep coming, and he broke eventually.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Ewar Woowar posted:

Nope. He's going to win and it's going to be very funny.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Climate change is really kicking in I see.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

I said "the majority"; Condit is in the minority of people he took down easily without outstriking. Because, as mentioned, Condit's takedown defense is hot garbage.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I don't understand how he could be so good at everything else, but so terrible at that. Like I know he's not a wrestler, but come on man.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Dangersim posted:

I don't understand how he could be so good at everything else, but so terrible at that. Like I know he's not a wrestler, but come on man.

Pobody's Nerfect

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dangersim posted:

Sometimes people naturally become better at things, and sometimes people naturally don't become better at things. Pete Spratt has been training grappling since 1999. GSP was already outwrestling ncaa champions two years into his career. Time and effort spent training is always a big factor, but people naturally improve at a different skills at different rates for a wide variety of reasons.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

No I know, it's just such a stark contrast to see a guy be so good at everything and then when someone shoots on him it's like he didn't know you were allowed to do that.

Like when he started defending takedowns against Kampmann I was literally shocked.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Dangersim posted:

No I know, it's just such a stark contrast to see a guy be so good at everything and then when someone shoots on him it's like he didn't know you were allowed to do that.

Like when he started defending takedowns against Kampmann I was literally shocked.

I think he used to be one of those guys that thought his guard was so good that he wouldn't bother training takedown defense. He probably hasn't been training wrestling that long, relative to how long his career has been.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Of the mustard variety?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
I'm surprised Akira Corassani is such a huge underdog

• Locked thread