Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

anilEhilated posted:

Fairly sure the best Ion frigate design goes to the Kadeshi, both function and looks-wise.

Yeah but that's like a completely different ship. It's actually my favorite ship in the game, for the roll it does when shooting, but we will see it soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Neurion posted:

(you said Turanic in the video).

:facepalm:

Alright, I'll make a note to correct myself in the next video.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Ack, all those poor Salvagers, lost to Ion Frigate Arrays...

Oh well, at least you managed to get some of them, be prepared to see a lot more enemies than you would expect if you did a small run, I always go for the biggest fleet so I always got the huge enemy fleets, not that I'm complaining about getting more firepower. :getin:

Also this isn't the last time we'll see the IFA's, they'll show up in a later very special mission.

Also I would love to play this game in MP, I can only hope we get a good one in the HD remake.

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 10, 2014

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Koorisch posted:

Also this isn't the last time we'll see the IFA's, they'll show up in a later very special mission.

I don't count the Graveyard missions.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
When the carrier is escaping, the FI says it is going to warn the Kushan fleet :v:

A bug that was never fixed. I wonder if he says Taiidan if you play as their fleet? I don't think I ever actually did.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mr. Neutron posted:

When the carrier is escaping, the FI says it is going to warn the Kushan fleet :v:

A bug that was never fixed. I wonder if he says Taiidan if you play as their fleet? I don't think I ever actually did.

It does. At least as far as I remember.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
A fun little tidbit regarding Ion Frigates: The systems needed to utilize an ion cannon are so massive that rather than mounting the cannon on a frigate, it's more like they built the frigate around the cannon. Keep this in mind for some of the later capital ships that show up. Such as destroyers mounting a pair of fixed ion cannons, or the Heavy Cruiser packing two turrets that each have a pair of ion cannons mounted in them.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I always got the impression that the Dagger-class also had slightly longer range then standard Ion Frigates, like 10% or so. It seemed that if I mixed enough Daggers in a Wall with standard Ion they would be the only ones to fire.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

IthilionTheBrave posted:

A fun little tidbit regarding Ion Frigates: The systems needed to utilize an ion cannon are so massive that rather than mounting the cannon on a frigate, it's more like they built the frigate around the cannon. Keep this in mind for some of the later capital ships that show up. Such as destroyers mounting a pair of fixed ion cannons, or the Heavy Cruiser packing two turrets that each have a pair of ion cannons mounted in them.
I think it shows technological progression rather nicely. Ion Frigates are the first and crudest design, it makes sense they'll improve on it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
It's kind of nice to see an LP that's not 100% perfection every now and then, it would've been kind of dull if you just breezed through the game capturing every single enemy vessel(that could be captured) and never losing one of your own.

Salvage Corvettes seem to have some trash AI, though, considering that they just fly dead on at enemy frigates rather than flanking to avoid weapons fire or something.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Since you mentioned being unable to find the parade formation at the end of the video, I thought I'd mention it here. Parade formation happens anytime you attempt to set any formation for a group that includes the mothership (such a group can only ever be in a parade formation).

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Mr. Neutron posted:

This is most assuredly the case. It's one of my strongest memories of the game (after the Burning of Kharak), because I played the Taiidan first and it really, really confused me.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

You might also remember Campbell Lane as the narrator of the English version of Gundam Wing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7OSeEMxDKE

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm really surprised no one did a quick fix mod to flip the voice clips around so they say the right thing for the right race. As far as I can remember, that was the only hiccup in the coding as far as game audio was concerned.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Campbell Lane also voices one of the Cylons that get plugged into their ships in the Battlestar Galactica remake as well. He was in the first tv movie they did for the show, Razor. I like to think someone did that on purpose.

Also for a bug that always annoyed me, rewatch the cutscene introducing the Bentusi but pay attention to the stars in the background. They're apparently physical objects and get knocked around to remain on camera before sliding off for a bit.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Ah the Bentusi. Also I recommend every go back and look at just how fast that ship was moving on the sensor screen then look at it's size.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

cokerpilot posted:

Ah the Bentusi. Also I recommend every go back and look at just how fast that ship was moving on the sensor screen then look at it's size.

The Bentusi are just awesome and I will never not love them :allears: My first ever piece of game fanart was a Bentusi harborship. Pity about what Homeworld 2 did to them.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Koorisch posted:

Ack, all those poor Salvagers, lost to Ion Frigate Arrays...

Oh well, at least you managed to get some of them, be prepared to see a lot more enemies than you would expect if you did a small run, I always go for the biggest fleet so I always got the huge enemy fleets, not that I'm complaining about getting more firepower. :getin:

Also I would love to play this game in MP, I can only hope we get a good one in the HD remake.

They died so the rest of his frigates wouldn't take easily repairable damage :D

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I still keep meaning to make a T-shirt with a trade ship and "GET BENT" on it.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Tanith posted:

I still keep meaning to make a T-shirt with a trade ship and "GET BENT" on it.

I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Kirinith
Oct 21, 2010
Loving the LP so far - Homeworld is one of the games I grew up with, and gonna echo the comments that it's a whole lot more interesting to see the game played more naturally rather than canonicallysalvaging literally everything.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Nice LP! I noticed you're not playing the game on it's highest quality settings though. There is an option in the graphics menu that makes ships looks much smoother up close.

I spent a lot of time playing Homeworld MP back in 1999/2000. Did you guys know that you can select your Mothership, then type 'access' tot gain access tot its special cheats menu? It's pretty fun!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Martian posted:

I spent a lot of time playing Homeworld MP back in 1999/2000. Did you guys know that you can select your Mothership, then type 'access' tot gain access tot its special cheats menu? It's pretty fun!

Wait, what? Really? I've literally NEVER heard of this.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

PurpleXVI posted:

A quick search for cheats doesn't show it.

However,
http://www.gamespot.com/homeworld/cheats/

Looks like you can view the fight from the pilot's cabin and change the game's resolution, how smart the AI is, and even the color palette.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
The pilot view was later implemented in Cataclysm too (shift+P).

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

PurpleXVI posted:

It's an old newbie-hazing joke. 'S' is the keyboard shortcut for the Scuttle command, but it takes a second press of the button to confirm and actually blow the ship up. So if you type ACCESS with the mothership selected...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

an oddly awful oud posted:

It's an old newbie-hazing joke. 'S' is the keyboard shortcut for the Scuttle command, but it takes a second press of the button to confirm and actually blow the ship up. So if you type ACCESS with the mothership selected...

Hah! Okay, I'll give it that, it's one of the smarter ones. Definitely smarter than telling newbies that [whatever action they just asked how to do] is triggered with ALT+F4.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

an oddly awful oud posted:

'E' also selects all units on screen. :v:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Wow, I really gotta hand it to ya, that's pretty sneaky!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Above the salvage corvettes, above the resourcers, above and beyond any ship of the line, the Kushan ambassador has the hardest and most dangerous single job in the entire fleet. :colbert:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Willie Tomg posted:

Above the salvage corvettes, above the resourcers, above and beyond any ship of the line, the Kushan ambassador has the hardest and most dangerous single job in the entire fleet. :colbert:

That is true. He has no weapons and combat skills are useless when you're neck deep in enemy territory. All the while trying to attempt dialogue with a very likely chance of not coming back alive.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Man the Bentusi are so cool. :allears:

They show up right when the player is starting to think, "Man we could really use some friends right about now."

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.
The first time I played the game, I was sure the Bentusi were going to prove to be another enemy...even after they announced that they were peaceful traders I was sure there would turn out to be a catch, and it was pretty amazing when they just sold me some tech and left. I mean, seriously, not everything in space is trying to kill us? Awesome.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Ilanin posted:

The first time I played the game, I was sure the Bentusi were going to prove to be another enemy...even after they announced that they were peaceful traders I was sure there would turn out to be a catch, and it was pretty amazing when they just sold me some tech and left. I mean, seriously, not everything in space is trying to kill us? Awesome.

My first time I was sure they would turn against me the moment I accepted the trade so I tried out the force attack command on them :downs:

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

First time playing, I hadn't yet clued into the fact that I should stripmine all sectors, and postpone triggering plot if possible to build up. So I barely survived that encounter with the assault frigates attacking the cryopods (losing 2 in the process :(). I was sure I was toast, when the first thing that jumps in was another mothership-class vessel in the next mission. Even after they turned out to be peaceful, I did not have the RUs to buy ion cannons.

It turns out, of course, that I was toast, because I wasted too many resources of what few I gathered, but it took another spacefaring race to show me just how badly I had screwed myself.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

AParadox posted:

My first time I was sure they would turn against me the moment I accepted the trade so I tried out the force attack command on them :downs:

Did that actually work in turning them hostile? Because that would have been a short mission then. :v:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

GhostBoy posted:

I did not have the RUs to buy ion cannons.

You do not need to buy Ion Cannons here. If you don't, you can spend the RUs on two more Salvagers and grab a couple more Dagger Frigates instead. You can then research Ion Technology next mission (probably your scientists reacting to the deployment of such weapons by the Turanic Raiders).

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

berryjon posted:

You do not need to buy Ion Cannons here. If you don't, you can spend the RUs on two more Salvagers and grab a couple more Dagger Frigates instead. You can then research Ion Technology next mission (probably your scientists reacting to the deployment of such weapons by the Turanic Raiders).

Aye, you can get by, if you know what you're doing (especially if you know how OP salvagers are). Eventually I worked it out, but that first run was a mess. Really my main problem was not realising the full power of salvagers until later, and becoming bored with cleaning out levels before jumping to the next mission.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
You can actually hold off buying the Ion Cannons for a little while in that mission, they don't immediately go away if you refuse, only until you either buy the tech or if you take too long and the Raiders arrive.

So there is time for you to build up some units you lost/wanted to build but couldn't in the previous mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

GhostBoy posted:

Aye, you can get by, if you know what you're doing (especially if you know how OP salvagers are). Eventually I worked it out, but that first run was a mess. Really my main problem was not realising the full power of salvagers until later, and becoming bored with cleaning out levels before jumping to the next mission.
For all the talking up of Homeworld we do here, it's an incredibly cruel game for a first-timer. The campaign is out to punish you for not knowing what comes next or - God forbid - using weird ship compositions (we haven't run into the real noob-trap ships yet but will soon). Not mining out the entire maps? Don't even think about that one.
It's a great game once you know what you're doing, but when you're still fumbling around and trying to figure out the mechanics by trial and error, you won't be having fun. I think it's part of the reason why it wasn't a smash hit - in addition to being complicated, it's also unintuitive as heck.

edit: I'm fairly sure the Bentusi Exchange is the most powerful ship in the game. Makes a certain scene in the expansion even more awesome.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 13, 2014

• Locked thread