Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Homeworld. I've heard of this game!

As well you should. Homeworld, published at the end of the 90's, stands as one of the pinnacle games ever created for the PC. We're talking Starcraft or Civilization levels of quality here.

It is a 3D Real Time Strategy Game, set around your Mothership as she makes a journey from Kharak to Hiigara (as you will see in the opening video). You build and maintain your fleet, conduct research into new technologies, and use all of the above to blow stuff up. To say more would be spoilers.

So is it any good?

You see above, where I mentioned being on the same level as Civilization and Star Craft? Yes, it's that good. And the music is better.

The manual in particular is amazing and once I find a copy I can trust, I will link it here.

I hear there's an HD remake!

Yes, there is! Except it's being released on Valvetime (yes, I know Gearbox is the one doing it), so I might as well do this before the new version comes out. Besides, this game is beautiful enough as it is.

So, about the LP?

It's going to be a subtitled VLP. I'm not going to talk over the this game and ruin the music. After the first three missions, I'm going to do serious editing to cut out the slow parts of research and building and resource collecting. Missions 1 and 3 are tight enough to not need editing, and Mission 2 is just long enough to show off what I'm cutting out in future missions without being too long.

Now, there are two alternate fleet designs. One appears on the cover art, and the other doesn't. I'm going with the default fleet and colour scheme, though I may skirmish with the other fleet and different colours. I choose this to demonstrate the 'normal' playthrough fleet.

If I start throwing numbers around, I will be drawing them from The Well of Souls, one of the better Homeworld websites still in existence.

For other information, the Homeworld Manual is available for free download. It's an amazing document with so much information that gives life to everything that has lead up to this game. You should read it before watching the LP, if you can.

Videos!

Comments from the Thread

This video is a fan made version of the first cutscene in Mission 2 - Thanks Koorisch!

What you shouldn't do when meeting up with nice people (Mission 04) - Thanks 'my Dad'!

Mission 08 has the conversation at the start interrupted by the need to battle. A full transcript is below, thanks to Cokerpilot:

quote:

"Again we offer you a chance to join us and live here in peace" — Kadeshi Ambassador

"We cannot stay - we're on a journey. But let there be peace between us, for we have something in common. The hyperdrive technology left to us by our ancestors is identical to yours. The Homeworld we seek may be yours as well." — Fleet Command

"You will fail. The evil that drove us here will find and destroy you. From you they will know about us and come here. This cannot come to pass." — Kadeshi Ambassador

After Mission 12, this correction was given to me:

John Liver posted:

You say that Elson is named after Harlan Ellison, but I think he's actually named after Peter Elson, the illustrator whose designs inspired a lot of the Homeworld ships:

The Protagonist was very dissappointed that the Junkyard Dog didn't get his day, so here is the model that he extracted from the files!

Many people made comments after Mission 14 about what people in-mission must have been thinking:

Palladium posted:

-Excerpt from a Taiidan Defense Command meeting-

Officer A: "We are to defend the hyperspace inhibitor with a huge ball of ion cannon frigates against the Kushan."
Officer B: "What if the enemy just use attack bombers which will rip them to shreds?"
Officer A: "That won't happen."
Officer B: "Oooook, so what happens if the enemy attacks the ball then? Do we mobilize like half of the ball to crush them with overwhelming firepower, or we just have a few to respond while the rest us just sit there and look like idiots?"
Officer A: "You are asking too many meaningful questions! You are fired!"

Delta Green posted:

-Excerpt from Taiidan Hyperspace Inhibitor Zeta Defence Fleet during Kushan/Hiigaraan breakthrough-

Officer C: "Gentlemen, the Hyperspace Inhibitor is under attack. We're getting intermittent readings of fighter-class signatures in that area, but they vanish almost as soon as they appear."
Officer D: "FOR GOD'S SAKE, THEY'RE USING CLOAKED FIGHTERS! COME DOWN HERE AND HELP!"
Officer E: "I drove off one of their resource collectors with my section. The Secret Police can't say we didn't fight with the enemy. No other contact."
Officer C: "On the other hand, they're only attacking the Hyperspace Inhibitor. All in favour of 'mobilizing' in utterly random directions and not getting ourselves killed?"
Officer E through Z: "Aye"
Officer C: "Motion carried. Scrub your communication records thoroughly. No need to get them on our asses."
Officer D: "Work on a Support Frigate, they said. No danger at all, they said. Instead, I'm sitting here, watching cloaked fighters blowing poo poo up around me and hoping they don't decide to make sport of my ship. I really hate you guys."
Officer F: "Play it cool, D. Act like nothing wrong is happening."
Officer D: "Play it cool. Play it cool. Play it... Oh God. The fighter jockeys are trying to force a fight."
Officer C: "Who the Hell launched the damned fighters?!"
Officer D: "We're going to die. We are so going to die. Oh God, why?... The Fighters are gone. They're attacking the Inhibitor again."
Officer F: "See? Nothing to worry about. Oh, look! A possible enemy contact that isn't totally a glitch in my system! Going to investigate."
Officer D: "Inhibitor is gone. Thank God it was an automated system. The Exile Fighters aren't reappearing... I think they're gone."
Officer C: "Outbound Hyperspace signature detected... They're gone."
Officer D: "... All in favour of joining the Rebels before the Emperor or his Elite Guard decide to visit?"
Officer C through Z: "Aye."
Officer C: "Let's get out of here."

berryjon fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Homeworld HD remake? Nice!

Mostly because I can hear that amazing soundwork in higher quality.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I played this game when I was a kid, but I pretty much only remember the mothership (banana), the research station complex (donut), and a few plot points.

This should be a fun LP. :allears:

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Aw hell yes, it's a Homeworld LP!

I can't wait for the HD version and Shipbreakers!

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Man, I really miss this series. 3D maneuvering, the particle effects, the voice work, it was all so innovative and gorgeous for its time. Homeworld and HW: Cataclysm are just two games you can really sit back and enjoy no matter what. I still have the manuals on my bookshelf. HW2 was beautiful and had fun online but it didn't really deliver the same quality of story or gameplay, and weak sales basically killed any hopes of a future sequel.

Modguy
Nov 9, 2012
I lost my manual somewhere. It is, without a doubt, a fine example of those halcyon days when manuals were works of art in and of them selves.

Also, the game it self? Absolutely amazing. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Another of my favourite games, Berryjon? First MechCommander 1 (and 2, heh) now this? I'm going to enjoy this.

Mothership.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I played this when it was new. It pretty much blew my mind.
The graphics looked absolutely amazing back then, and they still are good. I can't even think of any similarly good space tactics game.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

tonberrytoby posted:

I played this when it was new. It pretty much blew my mind.
The graphics looked absolutely amazing back then, and they still are good. I can't even think of any similarly good space tactics game.

Yeah, not even Nexus: the Jupiter Incident is as good as this one, this game is just so much more FUN than the others.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Oh god, I am sure I will cry a bit again when the third mission comes up.
:sigh:

The story in this game is so good that is basically ruined RTS stories for me forever.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
This game had probably a bigger impact on me than just about any other game I've ever played. I'm so happy to see someone LPing it because I was planning on doing it myself somewhere way down the road if no one else bothered.

One question though; will you be posting anything out of the gigantic manual that came with the game? Because it's pretty much a lore gold mine and it would be a shame if it's not at least touched on at some point during the LP.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Koorisch posted:

Yeah, not even Nexus: the Jupiter Incident is as good as this one, this game is just so much more FUN than the others.

Haegemonia: Legions of Iron tried to combine the gameplay of Homeworld and Master of Orion, but with mixed results.

Great graphics and a good soundtrack, though. It had a way of estimating how big an ongoing battle was and changing the battle music track accordingly. I might LP it some day if I find a way to run it for more than an hour without a crash.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Michaellaneous posted:

Oh god, I am sure I will cry a bit again when the third mission comes up.
:sigh:

The story in this game is so good that is basically ruined RTS stories for me forever.

As far as I've seen, no RTS even comes close to being as good as this one story-wise. Even though the graphics look dated nowadays, they're still gorgeous. The ship designs are easy to identify despite the low poly-count and there's enough contrast in the textures to make out little greebly details on parts of the ships, especially around the bridges of starships. The starship designs have had a heavy influence on my Lego creations, in fact. The backgrounds, too, are simply amazing. Most of the skybox (spacebox?) is just gradients blended between points, but it works perfectly for nebulae and the other fantastic things you see in deep space.

I'll be following this LP closely, and I'll be particularly interested to see how you handle some later missions!

Edit: Is it just me, or is the introductory cutscene suffering from some volume clipping?

Edit Part 2: Naw it's the whole thing. Don't know if anyone else pointed it out, but you may wish to fix that in future videos!

Neurion fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 3, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's a lot of weird audio issues in this game, and not all of them are intentional. Anyway, going to watch the hell out of this - I love Homeworld; even if it took until Cataclysm to get the gameplay right (and then they hosed everything up with the sequel), the story and atmosphere is top-notch. A couple later missions in particular are just hauntingly beautiful (everything Kadesh), the game conveys the eerie loneliness of being lost in a vast space perfectly.
Of course, then it starts ramping difficulty up with outright dick moves, but hey, nothing's flawless.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 3, 2014

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

my dad posted:

Haegemonia: Legions of Iron tried to combine the gameplay of Homeworld and Master of Orion, but with mixed results.
I still have the CD :allears:
...and still have to finish it. :sigh:

It may be a bit early, but are you also planning on covering Cataclysm, berryjon?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
One of my favourite games of all time with a mindblowingly great soundtrack and actually engaging story. Looking at it today it's hard to believe it came out 15 years ago (!) as it aged extremely well. Hell, the minimalistic UI approach could teach today's games a thing or two.

There's also the standalone expansion, Cataclysm, that improves on some of the more annoying parts of the original with a campaign slightly less epic but also very fun.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
There is actually a cool CG some cool dude made of the appearance of the Turanic Raiders, it's in the link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWr0Ei1ePN0

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
You weren't kidding, this is a really good looking, and sounding, game. It did nothing but impress me that whole first video.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Koorisch posted:

There is actually a cool CG some cool dude made of the appearance of the Turanic Raiders, it's in the link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWr0Ei1ePN0

The first of many 'oh poo poo' scenes in the game :) Hope the remake will look like that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh, Homeworld. What hasn't already been said? Amazing plot, gameplay, and atmosphere.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
So I take it that the IP disputes over Homeworld have finally been resolved if they're making an HD remake? If any game deserves one, Homeworld is it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

So I take it that the IP disputes over Homeworld have finally been resolved if they're making an HD remake? If any game deserves one, Homeworld is it.

Yeah, after the THQ shenanigans Homeworld apparently somehow ended up with Gearbox. Totally not complaining.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, after the THQ shenanigans Homeworld apparently somehow ended up with Gearbox. Totally not complaining.

Gearbox is using the HD remakes and Shipbreakers as a testbed for a potential Homeworld 3, allegedly.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'd only got the opportunity to play this game last year, and barring one particularly annoying level, this game blew my mind. This is just one of those games that truly does last forever, mostly thanks to the fantastic sensors view. Why Relic didn't implement a similar feature into all their other games, I do not know. It made management of your forces so much easier.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Stunning stuff, BerryJon. Truly gorgeous, and the ambient soundtrack / subtitle combo makes the videos really immersive. Hard to believe it's 15 years old. I'm looking forward to more!

(Also, what the hell happened to cryogenics T thru Z? gently caress those guys, amirite?!)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone!

After this, I'll be aiming to update once a week, on Friday. Then I might take a break and do Cataclysm. Already have a thread title picked out and everything! At least this LP doesn't pretend to be RIGHTEOUS! Let's Play Homeworld: Cataclysm. Because, honestly, is there any other moment that encapsulates that game so well?

But for now, I leave you with that mission. That one mission.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

:negative:
Every bit as sad as I remember...

Also kudos to the voiceactors.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

As far as I've seen, no RTS even comes close to being as good as this one story-wise.

:colbert:

Homeworld pretty much ruined the genre for me.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The subject did not survive interrogation.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

my dad posted:

The subject did not survive interrogation.

I love the slightest hint of emotion in his voice when he delivers that line.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Roman Reigns posted:

I love the slightest hint of emotion in his voice when he delivers that line.

That gives me chills, but I'm usually (and this time was no exception) crying a little from the opening of the level. Just a shame that the remnant of the line 'Not even beacons' was cut off, because you can hear the little bit of barely restrained exhasparation in his voice.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Will you be doing Homeworld 2 also?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Man, so many good memories of this game (and some bad... gently caress certain missions of this drat (good) game). Looking forward to the HD remake! So, what's to be said about this game that hasn't been said in thread already? Oh, yeah, pacing!

Hot-drat, the first section of this game is just one dick-punch after another. You've gotten to space, and then... You're the last ones left. And they just keep hitting below the belt, mission after mission, for a while. I cried a little when I saw Kharak on fire, because drat... It's pretty well written.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

JamieTheD posted:

You've gotten to space, and then... You're the last ones left. And they just keep hitting below the belt, mission after mission, for a while. I cried a little when I saw Kharak on fire, because drat... It's pretty well written.

The Homeworld manual contained a detailed history of each of the clans on Kharak, from all their conflicts and wars up to when they finally united in peace to build the Mothership. You get the impression that the ones left behind will have tough times ahead of them, but they will stand together and persevere.

Imagine reading all of that, and then you get to this part of the game for the first time.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Roman Reigns posted:

The Homeworld manual contained a detailed history of each of the clans on Kharak, from all their conflicts and wars up to when they finally united in peace to build the Mothership. You get the impression that the ones left behind will have tough times ahead of them, but they will stand together and persevere.

Imagine reading all of that, and then you get to this part of the game for the first time.

Sadly, I don't have to, I remember buying the game when it came out. Hell, it's part of the reason I cried a little. Regardless of any 4000 year old treaty, or the reasons behind it, this was wrong.

And it's at this point that it's so loving hard not to post spoilers. :D

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
My favorite part about reading the manual was the history of Kiith Gaalsien. They were a fervently religious Kiith who got wiped out in a sectarian war centuries ago and various acts of sabotage against the Mothership were blamed on zealots following the old Gaalsieni doctrines.

I'm pretty sure that takes up like three whole pages in the manual. Relic is loving amazing at thier attention to detail. :allears:

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
I dearly loved Homeworld, but managed to lose my copy of the game. News of an HD remake is very welcome to me, because I've wanted to play it again badly, but have been unable.

Still, in the interim, this LP helps me revisit the game.

And this is the first time I have ever seen all six cryo trays survive. The best I have ever managed is five, myself.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nweismuller posted:

I dearly loved Homeworld, but managed to lose my copy of the game. News of an HD remake is very welcome to me, because I've wanted to play it again badly, but have been unable.

Still, in the interim, this LP helps me revisit the game.

And this is the first time I have ever seen all six cryo trays survive. The best I have ever managed is five, myself.

And that's something because usually the game glitches out if you manage to save the sixth cryotray.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

My favorite part about reading the manual was the history of Kiith Gaalsien. They were a fervently religious Kiith who got wiped out in a sectarian war centuries ago and various acts of sabotage against the Mothership were blamed on zealots following the old Gaalsieni doctrines.

Kiith Nabaal all the way.

*rolls up with steam tanks and rifles, technology centuries ahead of the other clans* "So...who wants to stop fighting and be friends with us?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Here is the manual, available for free download.

Gonna put that in the OP now.

• Locked thread