Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You'd think the ancient Hiigarans would have left a note next to the map to remind everyone that if they try to leave assholes will immediately appear and kill everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

Where on Earth did you learn C?
What is even going on with all those ints, empty strings, and curly braces? Apparently it's valid syntax but I've never seen anything like it and don't even know how to begin googling it. :pwn:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Another minor thing is that I wish you'd move the camera a little close to battles. The end of that video was better but before you spent a lot of time so far out you could barely see anything and the screen was mostly empty space.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Doopliss posted:

That would probably be the Myth series. It has the same 'persistent army' thing as this game IIRC, except there's no way to train new units. Occasionally you get a new army entirely, and there will always be reinforcements across missions, but during said missions your troops are your troops. The LP archive has a bunch of them.
Myth only carried veterancy across missions, not unit count. You always started each mission with the same number of guys, but if a guy of that type had gotten kills in a previous mission they'll show up instead of some random new guy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Libluini posted:

Both of which come without any of the annotations the program was written in. (At this point my knowledge takes a nose dive, though. Can a programmer tell us if comments and the like can be translated into machine language by a compiler, or is it, like I assume, lost?)
Yeah, for C and C++ in general everything that makes code human-readable is stripped out in the compilation process.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Someone should have told those multibeam pilots not to drink on their way over to the station.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

The Protagonist posted:

That said you can beat this mission without firing a shot by sending a wing of ~15-20 of pretty much any kind of strike craft/corvette to the top of the map, across the yard, then straight down on the transmitter. You'll inevitably lose a few but the message will get out.
I was wondering about that. Looking at the map it seemed like the developers forgot about the whole 3D thing when they designed this mission.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

ZeeToo posted:

The background in this mission always made me uneasy. It's too big, it's too far, it's too regular. It just unnerved me in a hard-to-justify manner I never settled.
You're right, it does look off. Despite what's said in the video I remember liking some of HW2's backgrounds more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
All I know is that the Taiidan color scheme looks absolutely ridiculous.

• Locked thread