Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Great to see the game getting LPed, it deserves all the love it gets.

The Assault Frigate's one of my favorite ships in the game. It often gets overshadowed by ships that come later. But I always liked its dogged simplicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I want to say that in the original un-patched version of the game, the Defender was a hellacious fighter wrecker and was subsequently nerfed, but I don't know if I'm remembering right. I replayed the game relatively recently and found myself leaning on Interceptors and Heavy Corvettes to take out strike craft. I recall being disappointed with the Multi-gun Corvette for that role too.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

It was less that Homeworld 2 was an objectively bad game and that only bad people like it, more that it's a bad successor to HW1 and HWC. If you just play HW2 entirely by its own, it's not a terrible game, though it still has a few flaws that rankle even without considering where it came from.

Yeah, for me there are a lot of good parts of HW2 that I can appreciate. I like the ship designs, the music is awesome. Replaying it a couple years ago, and really paying attention to the design of the game, made some glaring flaws really pop out though. Probably due to how it apparently had to be reworked in the middle of its development.

There are a few missions that are just kind of inexcusable.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Saint Celestine posted:

You know how you have to feed all those people on the mothership?

You just use 'resource units'.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

That's the real answer. Way HW1 presents it, it's really hard to tell who was in the right with history - in fact, it's one of very few games that actually does that, only other one that comes to my mind is Morrowind.

As far as I remember for HW1 we don't actually get any hints or explanation on what the Hiigarans did to get exiled. And, if you just take what you see from in-game HW1, the Bentusi aren't portrayed as anything more than weird space merchants. All that extra lore is grated onto Homeworld from Cataclysm, HW2, and fanfiction.

• Locked thread