Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Aw hell yes, it's a Homeworld LP!

I can't wait for the HD version and Shipbreakers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

tonberrytoby posted:

I played this when it was new. It pretty much blew my mind.
The graphics looked absolutely amazing back then, and they still are good. I can't even think of any similarly good space tactics game.

Yeah, not even Nexus: the Jupiter Incident is as good as this one, this game is just so much more FUN than the others.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
There is actually a cool CG some cool dude made of the appearance of the Turanic Raiders, it's in the link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWr0Ei1ePN0

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
It's pretty interesting to play the other side, makes some differences to the plot and also makes your ships look a lot less advanced compared to theirs, I really like that they allowed to do that even though the storyline favored the Kushans.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Considering how many ships I salvaged, they'd need all those people. :v:

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
About the Salvage Corvettes, if you don't put them on Aggressive tactics they'll probably chicken out when they get shot at, although putting them on Evasive will make they slightly less slooooow.

Also the Salvage Corvette crews must have balls the size of melons to do the work they do.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So how about them spaceship aesthetics?

I love Peter Elson's works, they always stand out because they look so interesting and odd but at the same time they look like fantastic, I love the ship designs in this game because they made it in his honor and it's pretty obvious when you see them if you've read any of the Terran Trade Autority books.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Polaron posted:

I want to know how in that whole three hour battle nobody once decided to take out the cryotrays until apparently during the mop-up operation. They were right next to the Scaffold!

It's because a defenceless tray full of frozen people isn't the most dangerous/pressing target, they were just cleaning up.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I haven't played HW2 to the finish because I don't like how fragile all of the ships became, frigates aren't supposed to blow up quite so easily!

Also the way you capture ships in that game is absurdly bad and you'll probably just waste your time and resources trying.

Dabir posted:

The big thing that makes salvaging powerful in Homeworld is that you can keep capturing more stuff even after you've hit your unit cap. You can't do that in Cataclysm or HW2.

I still always capture THAT ship before the refugee convoy mission, it helps with the later stages even if you have to babysit it for a bit so it doesn't get taken over and smash your fleet. :v:

e: v Well that explains why they died so drat fast then!

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 5, 2014

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

Would it be viable to sweep in a squadron of Scouts on Evasive ahead of everything else so all the enemy ships are spazzing out trying to engage them, and get torn apart by the rest of your fleet? Or is the enemy AI smart enough to de-prioritize the Scouts when something else is ripping their Assault Frigates a new rear end in a top hat?

It's a legit tactic to use in Singleplayer when you can send in Salvage corvettes, as long as you don't tell them to salvage they'll concentrate on the scouts instead of the closing corvettes.

e: v Well that was AFTER you used them on a ship, right? It's probably higher priorities or something then.

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 6, 2014

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Ack, all those poor Salvagers, lost to Ion Frigate Arrays...

Oh well, at least you managed to get some of them, be prepared to see a lot more enemies than you would expect if you did a small run, I always go for the biggest fleet so I always got the huge enemy fleets, not that I'm complaining about getting more firepower. :getin:

Also this isn't the last time we'll see the IFA's, they'll show up in a later very special mission.

Also I would love to play this game in MP, I can only hope we get a good one in the HD remake.

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 10, 2014

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
You can actually hold off buying the Ion Cannons for a little while in that mission, they don't immediately go away if you refuse, only until you either buy the tech or if you take too long and the Raiders arrive.

So there is time for you to build up some units you lost/wanted to build but couldn't in the previous mission.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

berryjon posted:

I've checked. They leave after about 90 seconds. Same with the next time they show up.

Oh wow, that short time-window for it?

Thought it would have been longer but I guess not.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
My guess is that those Salvage Corvettes you lost in the first part of the fight triggered the attack and were the ones "closest" to them, thereby becoming target #1.

I think that's something that can be abused later for greater profitsss. :getin:

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

namesake posted:

I do remember the manual having a tactical discussion between admirals about destroyer groups versus fighter groups which ends in a fist fight, that was good.

To be honest, a destroyer without any support against a bunch of interceptors is dead meat and interceptors without any bigger ships against a fleet are also screwed so they're actually both right. :v:

I don't remember but didn't capturing in HW2 involve getting a small fleet of Marine Frigates to try and survive against the bigger ships you were trying to capture?

I remember not being able to stop the ships from blowing them up while they were attached...

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

What HWC did to the setting was make it way more cool and fun.

Kiith Somtaaw, kicking all kinds of rear end. :hellyeah:

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 21, 2014

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I love capturing those Fuel Transports, they're all worth about 300RU and I always manage to capture at least 12 of them on this map which is a huge boost if you are running low on cash.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I remember just zooming in on the Ghost Ship and just listening to the creepy sounds it makes, made me feel a bit uneasy to be honest.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

The point is still that salvagers are the biggest baddest motherfuckers of the universe.

The only way they could be more dangerous is if there was a Salvage Drone Frigate with twenty miniature salvage ships capable of hunting down even strike-craft as well as all the bigger ships. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Dabir posted:

You could capture that one early Vaygr destroyer?

(ha ha what am I saying no you couldn't)

You couldn't because the drat thing was able to shoot the Marine Frigates while they were boarding!:argh:

• Locked thread