Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Liver
May 4, 2009

I love this game.

Homeworld is god-damned beautiful, not just because of its music and art direction, but because of its voice work (Fleet Intelligence especially) and its minimalism (there is almost no HUD, so the screen is always dominated by the emptiness of space). The HD remake will be gorgeous, I really don't think they can go wrong with it provided they change nothing and do just a straight port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Something else I love about this game's presentation - everything is shown at the ship-sized and planetary scales. We never see the people in the ships, so we have no frame of reference for how they look, or even if they're human. We know the Kushan are vaguely human in shape and size, but this is about it.

This decision has two great effects on the game's atmosphere. The first is that we can connect with the Kushan ONLY through their emotional states and reactions, since their appearance/biology is irrelevant. The second effect is that the aliens become truly alien, since we never see what they look like either. We can only make guesses about them based on the shape of their ships and their behavior. It adds an extra edge of fear to the story, when you're not sure if the entity you are facing has a face.

Thing is, I don't think this was an intentional decision, because Homeworld 2 does away with it.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Roman Reigns posted:

Yeah I always figured most, if not all, the races in the Homeworld series had the Star Trek/Star Wars deal going where they all looked human but lived on different planets.

That's just a trope of sci fi that I hate, it's so unimaginative. I like that this game lets me interpret things differently.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

You might also remember Campbell Lane as the narrator of the English version of Gundam Wing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7OSeEMxDKE

John Liver
May 4, 2009

berryjon posted:

Part of me wants to salvage that ship as well. But victory comes first.

You can't always get what you want.

But if you try sometimes, you just might find that no, no, all the frigates are gone again. gently caress.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

The Supernova is probably my favorite mission of this game. Unlike this mission, you have some ability to tackle it on your first try without horrifying surprise, and it's got a nice twist to deployment that, while challenging, is not unfair.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Bholder posted:

I thought Homeworld is about sentient spaceships talking with each other.

Is ... is it not...?

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Dabir posted:

Wow that's pretty blatant.

From banana to bottle opener.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Dalael posted:

Dude... Don't be that guy.

God I love it when people claim they know how something that doesn't even exists work. Its all theory at this point.

You seem to get mad a bout lots of things dude

Have you tried byob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Liver
May 4, 2009

You say that Elson is named after Harlan Ellison, but I think he's actually named after Peter Elson, the illustrator whose designs inspired a lot of the Homeworld ships:

• Locked thread