Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
It's worth noting that the reason the Khar-Selim had to use normal engines in the story was because using a hyperdrive would have triggered the whole death fleet thing, as we just saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
You mentioned in the video that assault frigates have 4 railgun turrets. They also have a pair of plasma bomb launchers (you can see the lenses on the Taiidan model just below the rhino horn). This is the real reason why a group of them is capable of hitting well above their weight class :black101:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Carbolic Smokeball posted:

I always just assumed that all the races in the game were mostly humanoid in appearance. Except for one. I've always wondered what the Bentusi look like inside their ships.

My personal theory (and berryjon, let me know if you want me to delete this. The OP didn't mention a spoiler policy that I saw) about this is that the Hiigarans/Kushan, the Taiidan, possibly the Bentusi and probably others are all descended from humans who traveled to the Homeworld galaxy from the Milky Way and became the Progenitors whose relics we see so much of scattered throughout the games. Hiigara definitely is not Earth, but both the Kushan and Taiidan are definitely humans and extragalactic travel is possible.

Of course the games never outright say that, but the clues seem to be there. Or I could be completely wrong.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I want to know how in that whole three hour battle nobody once decided to take out the cryotrays until apparently during the mop-up operation. They were right next to the Scaffold!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

nweismuller posted:

With what you've been doing with captures, I am reminded of a personal wish I had after captures- that the ships you captured would get repainted to match your fleet colors. It makes sense in-universe, since they're actually being brought into your foundry for capture and refit, and would make distinguishing friendlies from hostiles a lot easier when you have captured craft. As it is, fights between captured Imperial vessels and Imperial fleets can get a little confusing, at times.

This happens in Cataclysm, at least. Though with one group of enemy ships it's less "repainting" and more "cleaning" :v:

And yes, please keep the camera closer during battles. Especially fighter dogfights and such.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
The Kushan destroyer actually uses two heavy single-barrel turrets while the Taiidan has two smaller guns per turret (but still only has two turrets). The Kushan destroyer's turrets are also along the centerline as opposed to the sides like you said.

I also prefer the Kushan destroyer (and Kushan ships in general) because they remind me of Earth Alliance ships from Babylon 5. The Taiidan ships make perfect Evil Alien Empire ships, though.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Starhawk64 posted:

If they're avoiding fights, they're not doing a very good job of it. Wouldn't be much of a game though if they didn't stumble their way back to their homeworld and if almost everyone in the galaxy wasn't so drat hostile. :v:

The point is that things would be worse if they went practically any other route. This IS the path of least resistance when it comes to a decadent interstellar empire.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Incidentally, berryjon, why aren't you using the advanced graphics options? They give better textures and some improved effects on things like engine trails.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Fun fact, that wreck you looked at was an unused initial design for the Kushan carrier. There's another unused Kushan design-wreck later in the game.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Captain Bravo posted:

The fact that you can't hurl 40 Salvage Corvettes at the Ghost Ship and add it to your fleet is a travesty. :colbert:

That thing is what salvage corvettes become when they grow up.

I've always figured that the ghost ship is a Progenitor ship, since we learn in a later game that they have really solid drone/automated warship technology, but I don't know if the timescale is right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Loxbourne posted:

Conquest: Frontier Wars was a fun little RTS that makes an interesting footnote to Homeworld. It was supposed to be a big rival on Homeworld's release, and magazines ran duelling previews. It was much more generic space opera, with Terrans in grey space battleships fighting space bugs and glowy blue space elves.

Something went wrong with the engine development and it sat in vapourware hell for years, eventually slinking out long after its supposed rival, and the game was swiftly forgotten. A shame. It did some surprisingly good things, including an AI War-style jumpgate and supply network, and AI helper Admirals that were actually worth something.

The main thing I remember about it was that the intro video would crash the game if it didn't have a specific video player codec thing that required money.

• Locked thread