Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Homeworld. I've heard of this game!

As well you should. Homeworld, published at the end of the 90's, stands as one of the pinnacle games ever created for the PC. We're talking Starcraft or Civilization levels of quality here.

It is a 3D Real Time Strategy Game, set around your Mothership as she makes a journey from Kharak to Hiigara (as you will see in the opening video). You build and maintain your fleet, conduct research into new technologies, and use all of the above to blow stuff up. To say more would be spoilers.

So is it any good?

You see above, where I mentioned being on the same level as Civilization and Star Craft? Yes, it's that good. And the music is better.

The manual in particular is amazing and once I find a copy I can trust, I will link it here.

I hear there's an HD remake!

Yes, there is! Except it's being released on Valvetime (yes, I know Gearbox is the one doing it), so I might as well do this before the new version comes out. Besides, this game is beautiful enough as it is.

So, about the LP?

It's going to be a subtitled VLP. I'm not going to talk over the this game and ruin the music. After the first three missions, I'm going to do serious editing to cut out the slow parts of research and building and resource collecting. Missions 1 and 3 are tight enough to not need editing, and Mission 2 is just long enough to show off what I'm cutting out in future missions without being too long.

Now, there are two alternate fleet designs. One appears on the cover art, and the other doesn't. I'm going with the default fleet and colour scheme, though I may skirmish with the other fleet and different colours. I choose this to demonstrate the 'normal' playthrough fleet.

If I start throwing numbers around, I will be drawing them from The Well of Souls, one of the better Homeworld websites still in existence.

For other information, the Homeworld Manual is available for free download. It's an amazing document with so much information that gives life to everything that has lead up to this game. You should read it before watching the LP, if you can.

Videos!

Comments from the Thread

This video is a fan made version of the first cutscene in Mission 2 - Thanks Koorisch!

What you shouldn't do when meeting up with nice people (Mission 04) - Thanks 'my Dad'!

Mission 08 has the conversation at the start interrupted by the need to battle. A full transcript is below, thanks to Cokerpilot:

quote:

"Again we offer you a chance to join us and live here in peace" — Kadeshi Ambassador

"We cannot stay - we're on a journey. But let there be peace between us, for we have something in common. The hyperdrive technology left to us by our ancestors is identical to yours. The Homeworld we seek may be yours as well." — Fleet Command

"You will fail. The evil that drove us here will find and destroy you. From you they will know about us and come here. This cannot come to pass." — Kadeshi Ambassador

After Mission 12, this correction was given to me:

John Liver posted:

You say that Elson is named after Harlan Ellison, but I think he's actually named after Peter Elson, the illustrator whose designs inspired a lot of the Homeworld ships:

The Protagonist was very dissappointed that the Junkyard Dog didn't get his day, so here is the model that he extracted from the files!

Many people made comments after Mission 14 about what people in-mission must have been thinking:

Palladium posted:

-Excerpt from a Taiidan Defense Command meeting-

Officer A: "We are to defend the hyperspace inhibitor with a huge ball of ion cannon frigates against the Kushan."
Officer B: "What if the enemy just use attack bombers which will rip them to shreds?"
Officer A: "That won't happen."
Officer B: "Oooook, so what happens if the enemy attacks the ball then? Do we mobilize like half of the ball to crush them with overwhelming firepower, or we just have a few to respond while the rest us just sit there and look like idiots?"
Officer A: "You are asking too many meaningful questions! You are fired!"

Delta Green posted:

-Excerpt from Taiidan Hyperspace Inhibitor Zeta Defence Fleet during Kushan/Hiigaraan breakthrough-

Officer C: "Gentlemen, the Hyperspace Inhibitor is under attack. We're getting intermittent readings of fighter-class signatures in that area, but they vanish almost as soon as they appear."
Officer D: "FOR GOD'S SAKE, THEY'RE USING CLOAKED FIGHTERS! COME DOWN HERE AND HELP!"
Officer E: "I drove off one of their resource collectors with my section. The Secret Police can't say we didn't fight with the enemy. No other contact."
Officer C: "On the other hand, they're only attacking the Hyperspace Inhibitor. All in favour of 'mobilizing' in utterly random directions and not getting ourselves killed?"
Officer E through Z: "Aye"
Officer C: "Motion carried. Scrub your communication records thoroughly. No need to get them on our asses."
Officer D: "Work on a Support Frigate, they said. No danger at all, they said. Instead, I'm sitting here, watching cloaked fighters blowing poo poo up around me and hoping they don't decide to make sport of my ship. I really hate you guys."
Officer F: "Play it cool, D. Act like nothing wrong is happening."
Officer D: "Play it cool. Play it cool. Play it... Oh God. The fighter jockeys are trying to force a fight."
Officer C: "Who the Hell launched the damned fighters?!"
Officer D: "We're going to die. We are so going to die. Oh God, why?... The Fighters are gone. They're attacking the Inhibitor again."
Officer F: "See? Nothing to worry about. Oh, look! A possible enemy contact that isn't totally a glitch in my system! Going to investigate."
Officer D: "Inhibitor is gone. Thank God it was an automated system. The Exile Fighters aren't reappearing... I think they're gone."
Officer C: "Outbound Hyperspace signature detected... They're gone."
Officer D: "... All in favour of joining the Rebels before the Emperor or his Elite Guard decide to visit?"
Officer C through Z: "Aye."
Officer C: "Let's get out of here."

berryjon fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone!

After this, I'll be aiming to update once a week, on Friday. Then I might take a break and do Cataclysm. Already have a thread title picked out and everything! At least this LP doesn't pretend to be RIGHTEOUS! Let's Play Homeworld: Cataclysm. Because, honestly, is there any other moment that encapsulates that game so well?

But for now, I leave you with that mission. That one mission.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Here is the manual, available for free download.

Gonna put that in the OP now.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Koorisch posted:

It's pretty interesting to play the other side, makes some differences to the plot and also makes your ships look a lot less advanced compared to theirs, I really like that they allowed to do that even though the storyline favored the Kushans.

It makes no difference to the plot. There's the cosmetic changes to the Fleet, as well as a couple different minor units later on.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Not to mention the utterly de-personalizing of the Captain. "The Subject" is a poignant word chosen as it makes that Captain so much less for it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Well, the game was intended to be a Battlestar Galactica RTS originally and later morphed into Homeworld when Relic failed to get a license for it from Universal Studios.

I imagine there was at some point a plan to have some kind of cosmopolitan civilian fleet around the Galactica Mothership, but it got cut for various production reasons.

:bang:

Really? Really?

Homeworld was never meant to be a BSG game. Yes, there are tons of similarities, which the design team at Relic has admitted too. But the thing is, you don't start developing a game like this without first securing the license. Building up the engine, the graphics, the game and then trying to slap a known IP onto it?

Besides, this game came out in 1999. BSG was a dead franchise (except for some comics) at that point. Don't you think that Universal would have loved to get some money out of that if they could have?

Please stop passing around that piece of information. It's wrong.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

The Hyperspace Core in the Mothership is a x12 scale replica of the one from the Khar-Toba, tweaked to provide a larger cross section for hyperspace entrance/exit.

Ships that are Frigate sized and larger can mount enough energy production for a Core of their own, and when the Fleet jumps, the smaller ships are synced to the Mothership so they all enter Hyperspace at the same time, and emerge at the same time in formation.

Reading the manual, you see that the Kushan see the Hyperspace Core/Drive as a technological Black Box. They can build copies, but they have no idea how it actually works. While they were studying it, it was deemed an acceptable risk to mount it to the Mothership - they had been testing it on smaller platforms for a while already.

HW2 throws all that out the window, and I'll gripe about it when I get to it. (Yes, I'll get to it, eventually.)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

double nine posted:

Funny thing though: the last mission and possibly other missions as well the number of enemy ships that spawn are scaled to the size of your fleet. Meaning that you could start the final mission with only a few ships and the enemy opposition is about 20 ships, or you can have a massive fleet and there will be hundreds of ships attacking you. It's kind of self-defeating BUT SO AWESOME :black101:

I'll actually be talking a little bit in Mission 4 about that - pointing out where some extra units come into play, and why.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I knew the enemy AI goes nuts when they see a Salvage Corvette.

I forgot how ballistic they get when you try to Salvage a Resource Collector.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Hey guys, Programming in its own thread please.

I've got the next three missions recorded, and am taking a break before entering the levels "Garden" and "Cathedral".

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I am limiting my Kleptomania to maintain some semblance of difficulty.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

This is clearly a non-canon playthrough, because as any Homeworld player can tell you, the Kushan are the magpies of space.

Oh please, the Blood RavensMagpies only wish they could loot as well as the Kushan.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I said limit, not stop. Spoilers for Mission 5: I only grab 1 Destroyer, and the Carrier, rather than all 3. Besides, with the difficulty curve in this game, stealing doesn't help me much, just makes my fleet more varied, and gives access to tech and ships a Mission or two before I can normally build them.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Actually, in Mission 6, the enemy AI was deathly focused on the Salvagers, even though they were only trying to hang out out of the way that yes, they lost several ships to being shot on the back by my forces.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I've been taking notes from what you guys have been talking about, and planning on adding them to future videos.

So if you feel there's something I should bring up in the future, let me know.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Hey guys. I have finished subtitling the next mission, and while I've taken care of some things, I do have to remind you that it was recorded a couple weeks ago. That means that I won't be able to handle all your concerns right away

I am planning on skirmish videos in the future to show off things I don't do in the game proper.

I just wish that the servers were still up for MP.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Mission 4 could almost be seen as a cool-down mission after the shock of the previous mission, yet things don't go all that well for the Exiles. Actually, it goes pretty well, all things considered.

I forgot to mention in the video that Campbell Lane was cast as the Hybrid in Battlestar Galactica, where he pretty much has the same type of character. Also, I lose an Ion Frigate to the Carrier's ramming attacks.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Neurion posted:

(you said Turanic in the video).

:facepalm:

Alright, I'll make a note to correct myself in the next video.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Koorisch posted:

Also this isn't the last time we'll see the IFA's, they'll show up in a later very special mission.

I don't count the Graveyard missions.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

GhostBoy posted:

I did not have the RUs to buy ion cannons.

You do not need to buy Ion Cannons here. If you don't, you can spend the RUs on two more Salvagers and grab a couple more Dagger Frigates instead. You can then research Ion Technology next mission (probably your scientists reacting to the deployment of such weapons by the Turanic Raiders).

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Koorisch posted:

You can actually hold off buying the Ion Cannons for a little while in that mission, they don't immediately go away if you refuse, only until you either buy the tech or if you take too long and the Raiders arrive.

I've checked. They leave after about 90 seconds. Same with the next time they show up.

Adding that to the OP.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Mission 5 finishes the first 'act' of the game. From here on out, our destiny is our own.

I cannot move the subtitles to the top of the screen as they would interfere with the in-game subtitles, sorry.

I also get better at shortcuts.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Libluini posted:

I should warn you my version of the game is in German, though: This means the cutszenes are all in German and you have to rely on my droning, monotone voice to tell you what just happened. :v:

Is the Somtaaw's verbal bitch-slapping of the Bentusi just as epic in the German as it is in the English?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

CheeseThief posted:

I'm surprised to hear you don't like the design of the dagger ion frigates, I really love that fold open/close thing they do.

Oh, the *design* I like with the moving parts. But by the numbers, it about 1/3 less capable than the Kushan or Taidanii Ion Frigates.

When I get to Cataclysm though, everything will be much better with them! They can cloak!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I'll look into that when I get home this afternoon.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I had forgotten that the Kadeshi Mothership likes to ram other ships.

:sigh:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Starhawk64 posted:

Speaking of depressing, good lord, Mission 3. Stories in RTS games usually bore me but drat what a tearjerker, that's how you should motivate a player. :smith:

The end of mission 8 makes it even worse.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Diamond Shoals is a very quiet level, but still with plenty of dangers as you will see. It's also a nice breather before the hell that is the next two missions.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 24, 2014

berryjon
May 30, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

You mentioned that you can still get ion beam tech later if you pass up on the Bentusi offer of it, can you do the same for drone tech? Because while I never used it much myself, for those who're new to the game, it might be interesting to see you pop out a few results of it and play around with them to show them off.

I will be doing Skirmish videos where I show off things I don't in the proper Campaign. Including Drone Frigates, Light Corvettes, Minelayers and anything else that comes up.

AJ_Impy posted:

You repeatedly called the Taidan ships 'Turanic'.

Only twice! I'm fixing up a new version of that video now. But it will be a few hours before it can be finally uploaded.

Veloxyll posted:

If not, what do you (our fearless OP) use for recording? Fraps or OBS or? Because I could totally go for a playthrough of Homeworld. And a Never enough RU to shop run could be kinda interesting for a change

Hypercam 2, actually.

Guitar_Hero posted:

Thanks for raising the subtitles, it's much appreciated.

And a bitch to do, as I can't find where AegisSub keeps the "Custom default Subtitle Location" option.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I've updated Mission 06 with the corrected subtitles. The link above and in the OP has been edited.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Would the Bentusi really ram your ships if you left them in their path?

I wasn't going to find out, I just panicked.

I also recorded the first 'Skirmish' Video, in which I use Repair and Light Corvettes, Support and Field Frigates. I think I'll make next week's update a double one!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Mr. Neutron posted:

Yeah I would have expected them to showcase new ship models and graphics, not hand drawn cutscenes that don't really age (I still have no idea why do they feel the need to remake them at all).

:Gearbox: Because gently caress you, it's High Def, supporting resolutions of up to 4000 pixels across! :Gearbox:

I haven't laid money down on the HD remakes myself. I'm bitter enough over C:BE that I don't want to risk getting burned like that again.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Stay on topic.

Homeworld is the topic.

Now, I can either update tomorrow with the Skirmish video, or do both on Friday. Which would you prefer?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Skirmish 01

I'll be frank, this is probably a boring video to watch as I neuter the enemy AI in set up to allow me to show off units I don't normally fight with. SPOILERS AHEAD FOR TECHS NOT YET REVEALED

berryjon
May 30, 2011

fezball posted:

Also, for the missing field frigate overlay try caps lock.

Thank you.

FredMSloniker posted:

Doesn't mean they can't fall into that trap. I mean, if you want to make a game that's 'exactly Homeworld, but with modern resolutions and improved sound', there's nothing wrong with that. But you shouldn't be talking about 15 years of advances while you're doing it.

Then again, the cutscenes are really the least important part of the package--which is why it's worrisome that it's the only part they're showing off.

I know! Just show off the HD model of the Mothership in all her glorious beauty, maybe the Great Nebula in the background and watch the pre-orders roll in!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

:ssh: Defenders are built next mission. :ssh:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Mission 07 - The Garden of Kadesh

Kid gloves are off people, but on the great side, we get one of the greatest units in the game!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Starhawk64 posted:

So you aren't going to steal all of that one particularly overpowered ship that shows up in the next mission? :psyduck:

You'll see.

I don't capture Swarmers next mission. It's just too hairy for the longest time to risk the Salvage Corvettes.

Although I did find out that if there are enough Swarmers in spot when they are docked to a Kadeshii Mothership or a Fuel Pod when it blows up, then they will stay behind - overlapping each other and making the whole pile unsalvagable.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Also, the Kushan refugees are explicitly avoiding fights. They know they can get stomped if they get caught, so what we see is the sneaky path.

As a note, even now I find the actions of the Kadeshii Swarmer when 'talking' to the Kushan ambassador to be an extremely intimidating moment. Because you don't see any people, just the ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I need to build more Bombers first.

Skirmish Goal: Hit the Fighter unit Cap with just Bombers, put them into a sphere, and pound a Mothership.

• Locked thread