Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

djw175 posted:

Technically the Taiidan have better gun placements, although that rarely matters.

The Taiidan have more aggressive gun placement. Taiidan ships are better at destroying whatever they're pointed at but worse at coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The toaster doesn't have to open its door to let out capital ships, it can just poop them out. On the other hand I *think* that might give it a big ol' weak spot.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Neurion posted:

I forget how far in the campaign, but once word gets back to the general populace of the Taiidan empire about the atrocity the Emperor ordered to be committed upon Kharak, he loses a lot of popular support and it sparks a civil war. So I always figured that the Kushan gave the captured crews the choice to join their cause, and any positions that needed to be filled would be recruited from the ranks of the cryo-frozen Kushan.

I think it would've been an interesting and somewhat compelling mechanic if the game tracked how much of your race perished on the way to Hiigara, and if it somehow affected your unit caps or the efficiency of your ships (from awakening people who were less and less qualified or capable to operate starships). Save only one cryo-tray? Welcome to Hard Mode, Space Hitler.

The Mothership was designed from the get-go as a sleeper ship to carry the cryo'd people to Hiigara, and IIRC from the manual, the process of preparing individual people for the cryo-journey took around 10 years. They definitely expected to shove a whole bunch of people into their mothership, in a cryogenic state at the very least. I wonder if they even intended to have more than six cryotrays.

Edit: Obligatory anime mecha-musume Homeworld fanart I found:

Yeah, I know it's from Homeworld 2, and its anime, but I find it adorable :kimchi:

That wasn't obligatory, please don't do that again.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Woah, let's not say things we can't take back.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nope, the Raiders have their own unique set of ships.

Also I'm pretty sure Homeworld is actually set in a real-life galaxy that we can see from Earth.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Libluini posted:

Well, the Somtaaw in Cataclysm still have worker frigates which can do anything the salvage frigates can do, you just have to be extra careful with them since they're also your repair ships and resource collectors. Also the main enemy faction is invulnerable to getting their ships captured by them, so you have to be even more careful not to accidentally send your little workers to them. (They can take over your ships with no trouble, you see.)

The big thing that makes salvaging powerful in Homeworld is that you can keep capturing more stuff even after you've hit your unit cap. You can't do that in Cataclysm or HW2.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ah yeah, the source code. Only thing I know about it is that the function for a mine locking onto something is called YoureMeat()

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I cheesed the BIG mission for salvaging by having the deathball run a wild goose chase after a proximity sensor for about half an hour while I slowly picked it to pieces. Sometimes bits of it got a little distracted but they soon gave up.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Only HW1 has consistent plotted maps, the other two just have generic galaxy pictures with some writing on them.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Taiidan interceptors are really cool with their off-center gun arrangement going on. The manual has some great in-universe detail about how they're fiddly as gently caress to fly with their weird center of gravity but skilled pilots can pull off this maneuver where they roll out of the way of a pursuer and come up behind them.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The balls of energy are homing, though. I don't like it myself.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Here's a fun fact I've just remembered about Kushan Heavy Corvettes.

There wasn't enough room on the design spec for sufficiently-armoured doors.

The pilots are welded in.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yep, technicians have to come and take off the armour plate.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan :colbert:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Martian posted:

Build a couple of repair corvettes and order them tot heal the salvagers (hold Z and drag a band around the salvagers you want). The repair corvettes will follow the salvagers around and repair them as soon as they start staking damage.

Ultra-pro people will get the salvagers and repairers into a big ball, select each repair corvette individually and bandbox-repair not only the salvagers, but the other repair corvettes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Try giving yourself multiple Dreadnaughts. Then come back and tell us if that was a good idea.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

None of the old ships kept their special abilities though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If OpenGL rendering works for you it should produce a lovely portal swirling effect in hyperspace, I think it might make engine trails and ion beams look better too.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

But mysteriously, retiring an ion array frigate will have it float into the little door like all the other frigates.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Which didn't carry over to Cataclysm, unfortunately.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Here's a fun fact, I've probably said this already, but in the code, the function for a mine locking onto its target is YoureMeat()

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wow that's pretty blatant.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You could capture that one early Vaygr destroyer?

(ha ha what am I saying no you couldn't)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A dozen or so space buses which ended up being enough materials to build a city.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well that's certainly a way to take the ball and go home. I used a proximity sensor to kite them, it's just as fast as a scout, can move freely and has no fuel. Also it can find the small cloaked fleet consisting of a couple destroyers and some frigates that I recall is prowling around that map. And they really hate prox sensors, I mean to the point that every ship in the ball will pursue that little sensor to the exclusion of all else. If Cataclysm's waypoint system was in HW1 I could have had them running around after it forever.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A good LP. Shame the Kushan Heavy Cruiser didn't get shown off a bit more, though. It won't be returning for Cataclysm, unlike its Imperial counterpart. Seriously, there's none in the entire game.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Loxbourne posted:

Yeah there are, in the background of a few of the in-mission scripted sequences. I'm pretty sure there's one in the first mission, even.

We had some discussion about the emperor's attack-thing earlier in the thread. I figured it was ECM too, or hacking. Oddly enough the manual descriptions for Taiidan ships repeatedly mention ECM - their minelayer was refitted from an ECM corvette, their salvager is supposed to have sophisticated ECM, one of their other corvettes and some of their fighters are mentioned as having ECM capabilities or a co-pilot to manage the electronics. I wonder if it was a planned mechanic that didn't make it into the final game?

That finale is still beautiful. A friend of mine pointed out that Homeworld does a simple, subtle subversion of player expectations - the usual space opera cliché is for space to be an ocean. To the Kushan space travel is crossing a desert, and at the end you arrive at a watery paradise.

Not even in the first mission. Plenty of destroyers and carriers, but no cruisers.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

But the Taiidan ships are the sleek, vicious, insectoid-looking ones covered in unnecessary embellishments like fins, tiger-striped yellow and red. The Kushan ships are essentially boxes with the corners rounded off.

• Locked thread