Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Homeworld was that game I never managed to play much, but held respect for. Although I remember not liking how the the "VCR" mothership got the cool fighters while "Banana" mothership got stuck with the flying soap bars.

J.theYellow posted:

How many 3D RTSes have been made? That being, set in space, with 3D movement as part of the gameplay? Only other one I can think of is Star Trek Armada and its sequel. Most of the other ones that we think of as space RTSes are really "4X" (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate) like Masters of Orion. Sins of a Solar Empire has some 4X elements, too.

Space Wolves is a 3D RPG-RTS made by Russians. You control a mothership (floating dock with 4 guns) and a few character ships (more like fighters).

As for the big oh poo poo moment, I didn't get that feeling when I was playing HW. Maybe I was too young? Anyways, I feel robbed of something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Michaellaneous posted:

And also of course, google for homeworld fleet command, the first result is a loving pony. I hate this lovely loving place. :negative:

Well, of course it is, HOW COULD IT NOT BE?! :(

Michaellaneous posted:

Oh yeah, sorry. But it is by all intentions the same thing.
Also I just realized this game actually has a female protagonist. When I played it Fleet Command was just always kinda there for me, overwatching everything and being helpfull. It is difficult to relate when she, you know, is basically turned into a giant AI. She was a normal person once.

To hell with Doctor Who and anybody who says otherwise, I'd probably sign up to become a giant freaking spaceship. Thought I wonder if she considers the crew to be walking *inside* her.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

It also served us the first of those sweet Assault Frigates. One of the few things I remember from playing the game was how cool the AF turrets looked.

Also, can someone explain why Hyperspace cores are so important if smaller ships can make also jump?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

And here I thought that Hyperspace Cores were basically an irreplaceable artefact. Well, that's the impression I got from whatever little I played of HW2 (1, 2 missions?).

JcDent
May 13, 2013

berryjon posted:

Today's mission is the other half of the Kadesh interlude. We are officially over halfway through the missions of this campaign.

Also, not a lot of commentary, because there really isn't much to say.

That Ship gets a closeup at about 11:25.

The mothership is green, what kind of Kadesh wizardry is this?

Also, [url=http://homeworld.wikia.com/wiki/Kadeshi}This suggests[/url] that the Kadeshii are Hiigarans who got stranded there during the Exile, then developed a culture and a religion around living in the Great Garden - quite different than what the honorable LPer suggests

JcDent fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 9, 2014

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I think you can buy the Dominions 4 manual separately... as it's a 400 page book. Crush puppies, etc..

Kushan: killing everyone they meet and being very much cold and professional about it!

Also, didn't they get banned because the first thing they did upon finding a core was to bomb the poo poo out of the homeworld of a rival empire?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I love the mystery in HW. Also, Mysterious Space Traders are likely a must in any game that features multiple alien races. The Bentusi are done well (especially when their ship looks like a flying city) and the guys in Ur-Quan masters are neat, too.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

As far as it stands, the attack on the station was a suicide mission. I wonder what's the crew supposed to be on the ships... And even if Homeworld had simulation of escape pods and gathering them to pick up crew, the nova would have toasted them :(

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Corbeau posted:

The Taiidan Assault Frigate is still the best looking ship in the game. It's just so... direct.

Yeah, it looks like it was made for violence. Also, them cinematics. I wonder if the overall fall in quality between HW and HW2 is close to what I felt happened between CoH1 and CoH2.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

THE BAR posted:

I just assumed that their ravaged bodies needed exotic equipment to stay alive.

Why are their bodies ravaged?

I actually imagine Turanics, Kushaan and Taidan to be human. Bentusi are definitely loving alien.

And Turanics might need the liquid membrade as a cushion for crazy ship maneuvers... and space bumpercars that you see in their introduction.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Disco Infiva posted:

Sure, why the gently caress not?

Anything that happens in nature just results in more annoying bugs that are harder to kill. They'll discover FTL flies before they discover FTL drive.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Squish posted:

Sea of Lost Souls
Even since playthrough #1, I never thought you could destroy the ghost ship. So what I did, was sneak up as close to the detection sphere as possible with a few cap ships. I'd use strike craft to lure the captured ships over, and the capship beam weapons have enough range to take out the smaller ones.
After that, using some guerilla moves I'd lure out the larger ships one by one, particularly the missile destroyer. Once it's attention turned to the encroaching strike craft on one side, in come the salcorvs from behind. It's tricky to capture a missile destroyer, but it's coming with US, Mr. Ghost ship and you can just lump it.

Research station
Take the long, safe path using a couple of destroyers followed by 4-5 captured support frigates. This makes a rather efficient mine sweeper operation and clears out that path very easily. I also send one resource controller through the void to each pocket of resources. They have enough HP to make it across, as do a couple of support frigates. The support frigates can repair one another, the controller, and the collectors. The tricky bit is to remember to stop your collectors from trying to automatically go for other resource pockets once they've cleaned out their local area. The leftover debris even after collecting all the resources will protect your ships until they're ready to make the run back to the mothership.

Leaving this mission without a fresh cruiser, a few destroyers and a new carrier is blasphemy.

I'm lovin' this LP. Thanks berryjon :)

That's the kind of slow, plodding advance that I like. Why get casualties if you can slowly grind the enemy away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Koorisch posted:

You couldn't because the drat thing was able to shoot the Marine Frigates while they were boarding!:argh:

I like how Conquest: Frontier Wars handled it: get close enough and the Marine ship would disintegrate, sending forth indestructible boarding cubes to board it.

I guess a seasoned Homeworld player would just abuse it by massing the ships or something.

• Locked thread