Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
This game had probably a bigger impact on me than just about any other game I've ever played. I'm so happy to see someone LPing it because I was planning on doing it myself somewhere way down the road if no one else bothered.

One question though; will you be posting anything out of the gigantic manual that came with the game? Because it's pretty much a lore gold mine and it would be a shame if it's not at least touched on at some point during the LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, after the THQ shenanigans Homeworld apparently somehow ended up with Gearbox. Totally not complaining.

Gearbox is using the HD remakes and Shipbreakers as a testbed for a potential Homeworld 3, allegedly.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
My favorite part about reading the manual was the history of Kiith Gaalsien. They were a fervently religious Kiith who got wiped out in a sectarian war centuries ago and various acts of sabotage against the Mothership were blamed on zealots following the old Gaalsieni doctrines.

I'm pretty sure that takes up like three whole pages in the manual. Relic is loving amazing at thier attention to detail. :allears:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nweismuller posted:

I dearly loved Homeworld, but managed to lose my copy of the game. News of an HD remake is very welcome to me, because I've wanted to play it again badly, but have been unable.

Still, in the interim, this LP helps me revisit the game.

And this is the first time I have ever seen all six cryo trays survive. The best I have ever managed is five, myself.

And that's something because usually the game glitches out if you manage to save the sixth cryotray.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
That log from the Khar-Selim still haunts me even 10 years later. I can only imagine the utter horror of being part of the crew of a ship that's traveled the farthest out in space your race has ever been and then be told by the radar operator that the blips showing up on the radar aren't yours.

:aaaaa:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Superstring posted:

Great to see the game getting LPed, it deserves all the love it gets.

The Assault Frigate's one of my favorite ships in the game. It often gets overshadowed by ships that come later. But I always liked its dogged simplicity.

I remember when I first played HW2 and mistaking the Flack Frigate for a 1:1 analog for the Assault Frigate and having a minor meltdown when I sent a whole wall of like 15 of them at an enemy Battlecruiser and they all got annihilated in seconds.

I was like "what the hell, these things are like wrecking balls," only to learn they were anti-fighter ships with near zero attack power to them. I felt like such an rear end.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well, the game was intended to be a Battlestar Galactica RTS originally and later morphed into Homeworld when Relic failed to get a license for it from Universal Studios.

I imagine there was at some point a plan to have some kind of cosmopolitan civilian fleet around the Galactica Mothership, but it got cut for various production reasons.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pierzak posted:

Just curious: What's the minimum number of humans needed to sustain a viable population without rampant genetic disorders from inbreeding?

With inbreeding? About 500. Without? Just over 4,000.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Samolety posted:

That is actually a theory that I have seen before and hold myself. I can't remember where I read it, but I've seen it talked about before and pretty much agreed that it makes a lot of sense.

That was always my pet theory too. It's also a quick and dirty explanation for how the Mothership crew were able to extract such detailed information from the Taiidani captain despite what should have been a nigh insurmountable language barrier--because they were speaking descendant variants of the same mother tongue.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Actually, in multiplayer, anything Frigate-sized or larger can jump, it just costs ridiculous amounts of resources. Of course, whether this is canon is another matter altogether.

They changed it in the second game so that they also need to be within range of a Carrier, Battleship, Shipyard, or Mother/Flagship with an equipped Hyperspace module. They can jump out on their own, but it's a one-way trip unless the Carrier(/etc) goes with them. Or so I seem to recall, anyway. It's been years since I last played Homeworld 2.

I just remember that when it got to the point where you had more RUs than brains in multiplayer you could just use a parked Carrier to slingshot waves of disposable Frigates at your enemies without putting the Carrier at risk.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

berryjon posted:

I forgot to mention in the video that Campbell Lane was cast as the Hybrid in Battlestar Galactica, where he pretty much has the same type of character.

He also died this year. :(

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mr. Neutron posted:

When the carrier is escaping, the FI says it is going to warn the Kushan fleet :v:

A bug that was never fixed. I wonder if he says Taiidan if you play as their fleet? I don't think I ever actually did.

It does. At least as far as I remember.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm really surprised no one did a quick fix mod to flip the voice clips around so they say the right thing for the right race. As far as I can remember, that was the only hiccup in the coding as far as game audio was concerned.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ZeeToo posted:

I believe it's Cataclysm that states that the Kushan went from Kharak to the end of this game in "a few months", so this is probably a matter of a week or two, yes.

I think six months is about as close to a canonical timeline as you'll get from anyone.

Either the Mothership fleet was jumping as far as it could each time to minimize its potential contact with the Taiidani, or there were a bunch of little jumps that we don't get to see. Plus having Hiigara's exact galactic coordinates kind of cuts down on a lot of that BSG-style aimless wandering in search of home stuff.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Veloxyll posted:

The loading screen answers this one. But, given that the ships aren't to scale, it's entirely logical that the time isn't to scale, either.

That and there's no definitive answer as to what type of FTL hyperspace tunneling is in Homeworld. If its the kind of instantaneous teleportation like in the new BSG, then a six month journey sounds more plausible. But if it's more akin to warp drive from Star Trek (like it's implied in certain cutscenes in HW2), then that muddies the waters a bit. :shrug:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

Isn't that thing just a fandom creation? Because I'm pretty sure it's just a fandom creation.

Yeah. It's a fanon map made by a guy called Norsehound. The Mothership route, Great Nebula, and the location of Hiigara are all canon, but everything else is speculative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fanzay posted:

The mothership has sublight drive engines and we're not told they don't work. It's a gameplay thing. The idea is they fixed them after the first two missions, if I remember correctly.

It's a yes and no thing. In the story for HW1, it's explicitly stated that the Mothership's sublight engines were one of a vast number of systems that were going to be brought online when it returned to Kharak, but because the scaffold was destroyed the Kushan had to venture out into the galactic wilderness with an incomplete flagship.

Yet in the opening cinematic for HW2, it clearly shows the Mothership using its sublight engines. Yet its immobile in the campaign.

In multiplayer, however, the Mothership is capable of moving.

• Locked thread