Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

I've owned this game since it came out, and have beaten it at least once a year, followed by Cataclysm. The Burning of Kharak is such a colossal gutpunch that, even as bitter and desensitized as I claim to be, I will never fail to get choked up. Kudos to Relic for the perfect combination of music, atmosphere, voicework, and a frantic scramble to save the cryotrays, to set the tone better than anything seen hence.

During the 'battle' playback, there's a blink and you miss it moment, where, shortly after the Atmosphere-Depletion Weapons are deployed, one of the transmissions states a projected death toll of 88 million. Kharak, at its most-populous, had roughly 100 million people on it.

The Manual goes into a huge amount of detail, and really goes to great lengths to make you feel attached to the otherwise-faceless and nameless crew and survivors, to the point that the first 40 or so pages of the 115-page book is entirely the history of the world, the kiith, and the tremendous effort of building the mothership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Pierzak posted:

Would the Bentusi really ram your ships if you left them in their path?

It's possible, but, as you saw when the Bentusi ship moved in, the fleet formation actually bent around the tradeship. I don't know if it's because they were in the middle of a move order or if it's coded, however. Ramming, however, is a legitimate and painful tactic.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Starhawk64 posted:

You forgot to mention that they steal everything in sight. All those other ships they have are just for show, the salvage corvettes are the real terror. They make the Turanic Raiders look like girl scouts in comparison.

The only thing that really mitigates the threat of the Kushan adapatability is, simply, that what you see is everything they have; with less than a million people left, they're partly driven by sheer desperation and the blind hope that once they get to their ancestral homeworld, things will be alright. In comparison, the Taiidan and Turanic Raiders have massive numbers of ships and general populace; even with the bloody swath the Kushan fleet is carving in a straight line, the damage they've done is pretty much a drop in the bucket.

• Locked thread