Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Hey guys, the paper we already own is losing us a poo poo ton of money, let's buy another paper that's even less successful and run them both at the same time! This is gonna end great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Whiteycar posted:

Enmax the city's electrical infrastructure provider has been getting poo poo since the flood because their redundant systems are almost non existent.

Enmax is crazy mismanaged when it comes to pretty much all of their hardware; they don't know what they have, how bad the maintenance level is, or how outdated it is. They've done some chronic cuts over the last decade or so to their logistics staff and make bad decisions in the moment. I'm actually extremely impressed that they think they can get this closet rebuild pulled off in only a few days because I was under the impression their stock of replacement hardware is super thin.

The very public criticism they received recently about executive compensation and bribery is only the tip of the iceberg.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Hey, it's downtown Calgary. We'll sell you Monster energy drinks, cash, by candlelight.

(Kay's is one of the best 'small' - not independent - grocery stores in the city.)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Colmface posted:

It falls entirely under the purview of ENMAX Power, the city-owned T&D utility. Other utilities may offer assistance in some form, depending on what can be made available in terms of equipment and expertise. Not many other utilities in Alberta use underground power equipment.

Yeah, it's Enmax's ball still. It sounds like ATCO is helping out providing supplies and staff (one of their techs got sent to hospital last night from a bad electrical burn, hope he's OK).

Building stuff underground in downtown Calgary is really difficult; since most of the downtown core is an enormous floodway, the water table is extraordinarily high.

Someone told me there's more miles of storm drains under downtown Calgary than in the entire island of Manhattan, though I don't know if that's true or not. It's the common excuse for why our light rail is aboveground (and occasionally gets hit by cars); they built two underground C-Train stations before the cost of the '88 Olympics forced their hand.

Enmax has a really bad rep for maintenance and they've had a bad year which wasn't helped by a bunch of high profile blackouts relating to the snow storm in September.

If you want to make fun of some Alberta politicians, our proto-premier is going around doing photo-ops with the displaced community and setting up a donut stand in a closed building. Supposed to be a press conference today at 5.

Seat Safety Switch has issued a correction as of 20:52 on Oct 13, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

If a business can't deal with a 4-7 day unplanned disruption to their business, they don't deserve to be in business in the first place.

There is business interruption insurance as well for just this sort of circumstance. Admittedly it does seem pretty expensive premiums-wise.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

Enmax is planning to reenergise the blackout area by 5AM tomorrow, ahead of expectations. The spokesperson also actually offered an apology, even though it's probably no more her fault or Enmax's fault than it is Nenshi's that something lit on fire.
The "spokesperson" is Enmax's new CEO, Gianna Manes. :) She replaced the guy who Nenshi effectively fired for taking bribes.

Hopefully when they start re-energizing they won't find other stuff that's broken, they've done a good job fixing it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What the gently caress is he going to do on Duke Street, visit a lovely mall?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Guy DeBorgore posted:

Do we know that? I'm not the most up-to-date but I thought an ISIS-affiliated twitter account had tweeted a cellphone picture of the shooter wearing a kefiyeh and holding a gun...

Some random dude at the scene took the picture: http://www.calgaryherald.com/story.html?id=10319084

You can tell because even ISIS wouldn't go so low as to use a Blackberry. :canada:

quote:

But hidden in plain sight in the photo is the concrete strength of the National War Memorial. The photo was taken by a tourist as the gunman embarked on his shooting spree, coming around the west side of the monument from the rear.

Ottawa police seized the camera, and it is believed an Ottawa police officer took a picture of that picture with a cell phone.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Michelle Rempel has had a hard week. First her car got stolen and now this.

Being below Pierre Poilievre in the succession list.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
CBC: You're at a Jian Ghomeshi right now. We need you at more of a Don Cherry.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Pinterest Mom posted:

There's no bridge Warren Kinsella won't burn :allears:

I'm starting to think the name of his company is borne out of a belief that Daisy is the name of the bomb in the ad.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Cultural Imperial posted:

so are denton's a bunch of loving clowns or what

Pretty big law firm, it's not like he went and got Lionel Hutz.

quote:

Dentons is a multinational law firm. It was founded in March 2013 by the merger of SNR Denton, Fraser Milner Casgrain and Salans. It has 79 offices across 52 countries and is one of the world's 10 largest law firms by number of lawyers, with approximately 2,600 lawyers and professionals. It has been ranked one of the world's top 20 Global Elite law firms by a survey of in-house counsel around the world.[4][5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dentons

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That is the laziest possible joke they could have gone with. I would've had Jian Ghomeshi choking himself in a mirror while screaming about his jilted ex-lovers, the iPhone falling out of his pocket open to the MRA subreddit.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Navigator gave up on Jian:

quote:

Randi Rahamim
‏@randiraha
Regrettably, circumstances have changed. Navigator confirms it does not advise Jian Ghomeshi. No further comment will be issued.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

vyelkin posted:

Incidentally, this case also proves the ineffectiveness of a travel ban, albeit indirectly, because the way this guy is trying to get around the ban is by having her admitted to the UK and then applying for a Canadian visa from the UK rather than from Sierra Leone, which is apparently perfectly fine and legal since he's a UK permanent resident as well as a Canadian citizen.

Duh, only the poor and unconnected will bring Ebola to Canada.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

bunnyofdoom posted:

Come on, you could be the first goon mp!

There is no way there's not at least one MP reading this thread already.

It's Cultural Imperial.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Hoo boy:

quote:

There's only one problem: another participant in the secretly recorded conversation has stepped forward to say it was he, not [Lib candidate] Raynolds, who actually made the offending remarks.

"I don't believe Marlo should have to take the flak for something I said," Canmore resident Tam McTavish told The Canadian Press.

McTavish, who says he voted Conservative in the last election and has never been a member of the Liberal party, last week wrote a comment on [Banff-Airdrie Con MP] Richards' Facebook page, correcting the record. Richards has not responded to it.

[...]

[Sun News douchebag] Lilley has told Raynolds that the change in audio quality is due to the Conservative operative "zipping up her coat when she thought you were getting nervous that she might be recording you."

Indeed, Raynolds said he was suspicious that the woman was up to something from the outset of the Canmore meeting, in part because he was sure he'd seen her at an earlier meeting in Airdrie — although he says she told him that was her look-alike cousin.

Raynolds asked his wife to take some photographs of the woman during the meeting. They match the profile photo posted on the Facebook page of Alexandra Constantinidis, a former parliamentary assistant to Calgary Conservative [ex-] MP Rob Anders.

In Alberta news, two self-described "social conservatives" who crossed the floor in 2010 to join the Wildrose as have crossed back to the PCs. Considering both of them are from rural ridings and have had a relatively high profile as Wildrose critics, that's a pretty savage hit. They join Joe Anglin, who defected a few weeks ago just before Danielle Smith was to expel him from caucus.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/alberta/Wildrose+MLAs+jump+ship+join/10409829/story.html

Seat Safety Switch has issued a correction as of 02:58 on Nov 25, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, from what I've seen Côté is a pretty reasonable choice. Must be a big change for her from private practice.

Heavy neutrino posted:

I don't know why people jeopardize their health by reading Ezra Levant in the first place. Studies show that ignoring Ezra Levant is correlated with lower blood pressure, lower levels of stress, and higher longevity.

Naheed Nenshi and Ezra Levant used to be part of the same debate club in (I think) middle and high school. Nenshi called him out on twitter about it when they had their little slap fight a few years ago.

da nensh posted:

For context, I've known @ezralevant since we were kids. We've travelled together, shared hotel rooms. He's exactly the same as he ever was.

da nensh posted:

And yes, every time @ezralevant felt he was losing a debate (often) he would jump into personal insults and feigned outage.

Seat Safety Switch has issued a correction as of 14:58 on Nov 28, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Hexigrammus posted:

Is it possible to donate 2 cents?

You're not donating two cents, you're donating $200 million (over the next 100 million years, subject to stop upon court decision)!

Ezra is sure to win!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
So SNC-Lavalin didn't stop at buying provincial ridings in Quebec; apparently it now looks like they bought themselves some federal Conservative ridings as well.

quote:

Elections Canada records reveal that 10 top SNC-Lavalin managers and their wives wrote personal cheques in 2009 to two federal Conservative riding associations that showed little chance of winning.
A total of $25,000 was funnelled to the ridings of Laurier-Sainte-Marie and Portneuf-Jacques-Cartier.

Approximately $30,000 was then transferred out to Megantic-L’Erable, the riding of then-public works minister Christian Paradis, CTV’s Ottawa Bureau Chief Robert Fife reported Friday night.
Well, what do the cons say?

quote:

In a statement on Friday, the Conservative Party said: “Neither Minister Paradis nor his riding association had any reason to believe these donations were anything other than the lawful, individual donations they were. It appears SNC deliberately concealed the alleged wrongdoing from the targets of their actions, including from Minister Paradis.”
Is this really the PR tack you want to take here? Painting your minister of international development as a man too stupid to figure out that when a $30,000 donation appears in his riding, it might be suspicious?

And somehow transferring $25,000 of illegal donations from two ridings into this one was noticed at no level whatsoever in the party administration?

"We were simply bamboozled by this well-established and thoroughly-documented political bribery machine, they gave us tons of money completely anonymously, with no expectations of reciprocation whatsoever!"

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/cabinet-minister-s-riding-may-have-received-25k-from-snc-lavalin-execs-1.2125096

Seat Safety Switch has issued a correction as of 07:39 on Nov 30, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MA-Horus posted:

I tried axe-throwing for the first time last night, the league is sponsored by Beaus. They bring in a keg for one of the competition nights.

So you're drinking beer and throwing axes? This sounds awesome.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Please tell me Elizabeth May didn't just put forward a 9/11 truther petition in the House.

quote:

Ms. Elizabeth May (Saanich—Gulf Islands, GP):

Mr. Speaker, I rise to present a petition, from petitioners in Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario and particularly in the Ottawa area, calling on the Government of Canada to conduct a parliamentary review into the events that occurred in the United States on September 11.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Pub=hansard&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=41&Ses=2#Int-8538894

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Hal_2005 posted:

You know China lied about those statistics for like the last 30 years until Deng before he died had the whole statistics set of 'real' numbers sent to DC via Kissenger. right? Reading a book on the country may help you, alot.

What book covers this? I'd like to read it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
God drat this is some good Wildrose schadenfreude:

quote:

According to @DonMartinYEG Smith, Anderson, Bikman, Stierman, Peterson, Hale and Wilson have crossed the floor. #wrp #pcaa #abpoli #ableg

quote:

Dave Nelson ‏@DaveNelsonn 15m15 minutes ago
Wish I could have had the chance to vote @ElectDanielle out as leader at this years #wrp AGM #sad #grassroots #highriver #turncoats #ByeBye

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Pinterest Mom posted:

So just half the caucus, and the WRP rump remains official opposition?

E: Actually, I can't find the original source on that list, looks like just Twitter rumours at the moment.

CBC posted:

Seven Wildrose MLAs are planning to cross to Alberta’s governing Progressive Conservative party, CBC news has learned.

Two party sources said the seven are party leader Danielle Smith, House Leader Rob Anderson, and MLAs Jeff Wilson, Gary Bikman, Pat Stier, Blake Pederson and Jason Hale.

Members of the 14-person caucus met Tuesday afternoon to discuss an offer from the PCs.

The executive of the party is holding a teleconference Tuesday night to discuss what’s next.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/7-wildrose-mlas-will-cross-to-alberta-pc-party-1.2875672

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Ooh girl, someone finally took it on the chin for the Shared Services fuckup.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Leslie Roberts remembered that he secretly also works for a PR firm that consulted for a number of people who were coincidentally on the news with him.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/01/08/global_tv_anchor_leslie_roberts_suspended.html (autoplay video)

Does not look good. I wonder why he owned up to it?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
http://canadalandshow.com/article/update-amanda-lang-%E2%80%9Cserious-relationship%E2%80%9D-rbc-board-member-while-reporting-rbc

Amanda Lang was involved in a romantic relationship with an RBC board member while reporting on their human resources policy.

I guess the CBC circling the wagons this morning squeezed out a little more info.

Extra damning for the CBC:

quote:

UPDATE: CBC's Chuck Thompson tells CANADALAND that "Amanda did declare her relationship with Geoff Beattie to her executive producer (Robert Lack) and he has the appropriate processes in place."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Now the Globe & Mail has gotten drawn into the Lang thing, refuting the CBC's refutation of Canadaland's argy-bargy.

http://canadalandshow.com/article/cbc-lying-us-or-amanda-lang-lying-cbc

quote:

Neither the CBC or Lang answered the question. The CBC did respond with a statement, ignoring most of our questions. In this reply, CBC spokesman Chuck Thompson offered a curious detail:

"...the Globe approached Amanda to write an oped about outsourcing for Report on Business."

This seemed dubious to us. Why would The Globe solicit a story on outsourcing from Lang? The idea that they did so certainly undercut the idea that Lang was on a mission to sabotage Tomlinson's story. We didn't include it in our coverage, and the CBC later complained that we "left out important facts".

Problem is, it's not a fact. This statement we received from The Globe and Mail directly contradicts the story put forward by the CBC:

"We have reviewed our records and we can confirm Amanda Lang contacted The Globe to write the outsourcing column we published on April 12, 2013."

In other words, The Globe and Mail says that it was Lang who solicited The Globe and not, as the CBC explicitly told us, the other way around. And no, as the CBC has since admitted, Lang never did ask for management's permission to write The Globe piece. [...]

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Canadaland continues: Kathy Tomlinson going on the record about Amanda Lang.

http://canadalandshow.com/article/cbcs-kathy-tomlinson-speaks-record-about-amanda-lang

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

El Scotch posted:

I wonder how much funding a 1% PST would raise in Alberta.

Honestly, if they just abandoned the flat income tax I think they'd be where they need to be. A consumption tax is, of course, what they're going to do. :sigh:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

OSI bean dip posted:

This same Social Credit movement also banned the serving of alcohol by planes flying over its airspace for years until the Lougheed government came into power in the early 1970s.

I don't know how you can mention the Socreds without also pointing out their involuntary sterilization of convicts, the developmentally disabled, abused children and First Nations people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberta_Eugenics_Board

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leilani_Muir

We also didn't allow stores to open on Sunday until well into the Klein era.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

OSI bean dip posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accurate_News_and_Information_Act

I neglected to mention this one but it did happen. I had texts and letters written by Bible Bill back in the day so I was familiar with his shenanigans. But yeah. This is an example of the LG going "no". I don't have the currency thing readily available however.

The LG also refused royal assent on Aberhart's attempt to nationalize all banks operating in the province.

They went all the way to the Supreme Court to establish that feds had control over banking. The end result was the aforementioned Alberta Treasury Branch (ATB), or yet another second-rate bank in Alberta with bad radio ads.

The Supreme Court also slapped down Aberhart on attempting to create his own currency through the eponymous social credit - the "prosperity certificates."

Seat Safety Switch has issued a correction as of 21:46 on Jan 14, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Remember Sony stores?

They're leaving Canada too.

http://www.660news.com/2015/01/15/sony-will-close-all-of-its-stores-in-canada-reports/

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
So while we're talking about jobs, it does appear that Stats Can has been routinely overstating the number of jobs created.

http://www.blacklocks.ca/35-of-new-jobs-didnt-exist/

quote:

A rewrite of federal job statistics reveals the Canadian economy created 35% fewer jobs last year than originally reported. Statistics Canada rewrote its data citing “re-evaluation of geographical boundaries” as the reason for the revision: “We try to provide our users with the best quality that we can”.

I don't have a Blacklocks account but I'm really interested in how long this inaccuracy was going on, and if it helped contribute to that little "almost no jobs were created this month/oh wait poo poo tons of jobs were created this month after all how silly of us not to have noticed" turnaround late last year.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Prentice has called a snap news conference starting now: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/premier-jim-prentice-holds-snap-news-conference-1.2937056

e: 5% pay cut for AB cabinet, will put forward a 5% pay cut for all MLAs ($6700 per MLA, $10887 for the premier, $10050 for ministers). That was a damp squib.

Seat Safety Switch has issued a correction as of 00:38 on Jan 30, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Pinterest Mom posted:

If the premier holds a press conference every time the government manages to cut 600k in expenditures, the Edmonton press gallery is going to be very busy.
Yeah this is out of character for Prentice. Usually his press conferences are pretty substantive but this one's just hosed.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

FowlTheOwl posted:

That's one of the biggest problems with taxes, even if your taxes are low, people don't want to pay them. It needs a rebranding, like true patriot love funds.

Just do what China does and turn paying your sales tax into a lottery!

http://beijing.wikia.com/wiki/Fapiao

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I wouldn't be surprised if Paul Fairie were a goon:

quote:

Hot take about how Stephen Harper is playing 3-D chess again and coordinated this Harper Lee announcement to distract from the Baird news.

https://twitter.com/paulisci/status/562637211670044673

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Rob Anders is very upset at the Wildrose brass for not letting him conspiring to block him in an undemocratic treachery from running the party:

http://www.nationalnewswatch.com/2015/02/11/rob-anders-wildrose-leadership-saga-continues-leaked-letter/#.VNt5evnF8vu

DEMOCRATIC RIGHTS AND COMMON SENSE OF GRASSROOTS WILDROSE MEMBERS.

• Locked thread