Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Seems like the mice finally elected a parliament of mice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Duceppe's return is the best goddamn thing, parliament has been missing his dry wit and :iceburn: s.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Yeah, STV owns, it's the best balance of local and proportional representation. That media frenzy killing BC's STV referendum was a crying shame.
I'd love to have a local MP who might actually consider my opinion, even if it's just 1 of 5 people in a big-rear end super-riding.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

You'd have a local MP under MMP though. Nobody is proposing pure Israeli-style PR.

Yeah, but the local MP is still chosen with the garbage FPTP, which leads to the same "you live in a <bad-party> riding, get hosed" problem we have today, and the party seats are basically beholden to nobody except the party whip. MMP is objectively better than FPTP, sure, but only in the same way that a pile of poo poo with a cherry on top is objectively better than a pile of poo poo.

I mean, I'm still pissed that the Liberals didn't vote for MMP, as I doubt their reasons for voting against it was anything deeper than "FPTP gave us decades of majority rule, why ever change it?"

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Heavy neutrino posted:

STV would likely make practically zero difference in the way the country is represented and governed but I guess if all you care about is feeling good about that #1 vote you made for a fringe party that can't pull a FPTP win but would actually get represented in a PR system go ahead and advocate for that garbage.

Or if you want an eternal centrist dynasty and complete evaporation of any form of diversity of opinion -- I mean look at how hosed Australia is

Australia has runoff voting, which is basically FPTP with some lipstick on it. It's not proportional as any fringe first choices just get run off to one of the Big Two centrists anyway.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

STV is better than MMP, but MMP is still better than FPTP. I guess it's just a "not let the perfect be enemy of the good" thing.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, give me 100 random old white dudes, let me give them money, some power and status and a sense of being above the law or having the needed connections to get out of trouble and you will be shocked how many "develop" an active taste for teens.

Yeah, let's not get all Daily Mail "Every old man is a closet pedo" here.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Brannock posted:

I was not kidding because I am not familiar with Alberta and that was a sincere question. Thank you for the info though. Will that financial situation continue through the oil price dropping and the world paying lip service to turning away from fossil fuels? It seems there are still mass layoffs expected to hit the energy sector and only a minority of the drill rigs are currently active.

All the more reason for more spending to beef up the security net and inject some counter-cyclical spending if you're expecting big layoffs and other private sector troubles.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

PT6A posted:

How do you feel about the Wildrose's criticisms? They seem quite valid to me, although I do admit that this is a very good first step.

Yeah, doesn't being able to still give loan guarantees still just let corporations give parties huge wads of cash all "haha yup just pay that back whenever wink wink".
And the individual donation limits still being $15K leaves the power in the hands of the wealthy.

It also does nothing to address loving PACs but that's a whole other can of worms.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

PT6A posted:

Wouldn't it make sense to start from the outside and work in toward downtown (where biking is reasonably easy and safe with or without a separate bike lane), rather than making bike lanes easy to use downtown, but providing no way to use them to get to or leave downtown?

Downtown has the highest population density and the highest number of places people actually want to go. It makes nothing but sense to start there.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

PT6A posted:

It has the highest number of destinations that people want to go, but it's also easiest to simply walk or take transit if you're already in downtown, which you are if you only use bike lanes, because they don't extend out of downtown.

So what? They had to start somewhere, and starting with lanes that connect the most amount of people to the most amount of places they're probably going is the most reasonable place to start. Downtown should be bike friendly, because it's going to get the most bike traffic.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

I may be asking an ignorant question, but isn't it kind of silly to charge someone for murder in a war-time situation?

Yes, it's ridiculous.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

THC posted:

guaranteed minimum income in the form of a “negative income tax.”

Negative income tax seems like the worst way to do guaranteed basic income. It wouldn't affect people who can't work at all and would encourage multinationals who we can't (won't) tax effectively to pay people in Alberta even less. It's like a much worse version of a minimum wage. Am I missing something here?

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Isn't Ontario's power mostly hydro and old bought-and-paid-for nuclear plants? Why the the hell is it so expensive there?

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Yeah cuts to the CRA are the dumbest thing, the return on government investment in taxation services is huge, and anything to make filing taxes faster and easier is a big win for everybody. Cheerleading cuts to the CRA is like the epitome of shooting the messenger.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Cultural Imperial posted:

loving lol

Ok NDP sjws, defend this.

She said a dumb thing, is no longer in the running for it, you are a bad troll.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...alism-in-africa

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Vivre le Quebec-Thread Libre!

https://www.straight.com/news/494681/bc-mp-nathan-cullen-talks-ndp-liberal-coalition-end-stephen-harper-government posted:

B.C. MP Nathan Cullen talks NDP-Liberal coalition to end Stephen Harper government

If the upcoming federal election results in Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s Conservatives winning a plurality of the seats in the House of Commons, NDP MP Nathan Cullen says his party will look to team up with the Liberals to form a coalition government.

I dunno how reliable Straight.com is, or if Nathan Cullen is just talking out of his rear end, but he's spinning it pretty well

quote:

“If Trudeau’s willing to turn to Liberal supporters and say, ‘My dislike of the NDP is greater than my dislike of the Conservatives,’ then let him make the argument,” the Skeena–Bulkley Valley MP said during a recent interview at the Georgia Straight offices. “But it makes no sense to me.”

I really wish Cullen had won the leadership.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

THC posted:

They'll paint a solid white line on the road and cops will look for and ticket non-HOV traffic. It's not hard.

What about the part where people can pay to use them? Would that be some kind of monthly fee?

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

Ban cars. The nuclear option of encouraging public transportation use. Sounds good.

The GTA can be fixed with public transit, its just going to take a lot of money and some land appropriation at this point. At some point it will have to be done, the region can't exist much longer without it.

Eventually someone's going to have to put busways or light rail straight through all those pointlessly twisty turny suburbs or people are going to start sleeping in their cars at the park-n-ride lots during the week.

The Capsule Hotel market is going to go through the roof!

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Mederlock posted:

Oh, I guess the 23 minute wait at the train crossing near the Whitemud and 99th St. in Edmonton I had that made me late for work this morning didn't happen if that's not how railways work.

Man, gently caress that train. That line runs right through the middle of the city and should have been shut down or dedicated to passenger trains (lol) decades ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

The house bubble, I guess, though I don't think any campaigns have really acknowledged it.

• Locked thread