Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
A good OP, a good discussion, a good thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

Basically, remember how everyone made fun of Bush's "Coalition of the Willing" because aside from the UK, Poland, and Australia (I think) it was made up of like 40 states each sending two policemen, but that didn't stop Bush from going on about how 50 countries had all banded together to invade Iraq?

The fight against ISIS is kind of like using that same justification but actually having those other countries send some tiny measure of military force in order to generate more credibility for the fight internally and internationally.

The first Gulf War was fought like this I believe, as the US got other countries to kick in fairly substantial financial support if not actual ground troops.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
You have good taste in beer, PT6A.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I vaguely get Rob Ford's charisma but that much support for Doug Ford? Seriously. God drat Toronto.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

I read this article today at work and was impressed. Part-time work is a serious problem at the moment, especially for young people. My partner, for example, has a Master's Degree from a prestigious university and is unable to find permanent work that isn't a part-time job at Loblaws which pays minimum wage, has no guaranteed schedule, publishes schedules two days before the start of the workweek, and abruptly changes scheduling with very little notice (for example, going from a 10-6:30 shift to a 7-3:30 shift, notified the day before the shift).

And even when you do find full time work, it's usually on contract and depending on the company's practices they wont notify you of your renewal of contract until the day before the contract ends. Abrupt shift changes also make it hell to have a second job and WHOOPS all of a sudden your two jobs have scheduled you for shifts that overlap, what do you do?

Working insecurity just seem to be pretty common amongst my friends and colleagues from school. It exacerbates other problems with the Canadian economy, like the lack of personal savings, since it's very difficult to budget around a variable income. Of course the solution is to just cut your spending and live incredibly frugally while saving what you can for those dry spells, but that's tough to ask for some people barely scraping by, and our entire economy seems propped up on lavish consumer spending and real estate soooooo...

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Professor Shark posted:

One of those things creates more terrorists and isn't actually a very good solution.

Of course I'm talking about committing Sociology, bombs fix everything.

Most militaries learned in the 70s that you never overreact to a terrorists, but apparently after 9/11 everyone forgot that lesson.

No one thinks that getting rid of Saddam was a bad thing. No one thinks that the regime in Afghanistan before 2001 was particularly nice. No one thinks that ISIS should be allowed to murder people freely.

But all of these organizations and people didn't come into power on their own, but instead got there by taking advantage of outside interference, either by appealing to the interventionists, or using the intervention as a way to rally the local populace to their side.

I'm not about to accept the idea that mass murder should be left unopposed - there have been enough genocides in the last twenty years that would have never gotten off the ground if Western military organizations had be willing to get involved - but I also think how we intervene is very, very important and worth debating. The Iraq war ethnically cleansed Baghdad, and most of the country, while creating millions of refugees that helped trigger the Arab Spring wars. That's a cautionary tale if I've ever seen one.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

HookShot posted:

I'm not going to lie, I didn't realize until just now that Saskatchewan had oil.

Oh yeah, the tar sands don't stop at the Albertan border. I know a few people who have been out there getting tons of work as they set up their own industry.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Heavy neutrino posted:

We...we have technology worth stealing?

The terrible secrets of maple syrup.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I knew someone was going to repost that.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Whose purview would it be, anyway? Calgary's local or regional electrical company? Not sure what the hydro situation is in Alberta.

I know the ice storm this past year wouldn't have been quite so bad if the local companies for each region/municipality had been more diligent with clearing tree branches from around hydro wires, especially in rural areas. But I'm not sure how practical it would be to expect a hydro company to do this. On one hand it's not like trees grow incredibly quickly, on the other hand they have a lot of ground to cover in some areas that could be difficult to access.

I heard rumours after the fact that some companies (like Veridian in Durham) were getting sub-standard service from the tree clearing contractors they were hiring, but who knows.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

Is there any basis to say the CPC base is anti-native? They have more native/métis MPs than all the other parties combined.

(Note that the Calgary Sun's comment section is not the CPC base.)

Making sure the TRC isn't able to complete its mandate by defunding it despite it being part of the legal settlement with residential school victims is pretty anti-Native, as well as denying access to millions of documents related to residential schools, but that might not be the CPC explicitly and more the civil service, I dunno.

I know vyelkin said that the whole process is complicated and I'm probably being unfair to some of the federal civil service here but man the optics don't look good.

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm not entirely certain why this is: hooray multiculturalism I guess?

I think so, that liberal project won out in the 90s I think when the Conservative Party in Canada fell apart. There are serious concerns about the narrowing of Canadian history and heritage under the conservatives, and what they expect new Canadians to know about our country (and attitudes they should hold) but those issues are, well, academic and most Canadians don't care. But I think issues like shariah law in Canada have helped define the limits of multiculturalism in this country.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 20:24 on Oct 14, 2014

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Huge Liability posted:

I'm sure nobody verifies it. I knew people who counted 'mowed the lawn for dad' as volunteer hours or just plain lied. There were almost no volunteer opportunities in town unless you're part of a church.

I was in Scouts so I went back and became a Scouter. One weekend camping trip got me the 40 hours basically. Maybe that was bullshit, but I did continue to volunteer with the scout troop for a year and a half!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
He's an axe murderer.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

Again, I can't speak for the feds specifically, but in terms of access to documents I wouldn't jump to conclusions about a government conspiracy even when it's tempting, because your right to access information is not absolute and on touchy subjects like residential schools (especially, especially, especially, I cannot stress this enough, because records involving minors are so sealed and inaccessible that you will literally never see one unless it is your own record) it's a lot more curtailed than usual.

Yeah I can appreciate the difficulty civil servants are facing when it comes to declassifying and making public sensitive material, especially with the budget cuts (the entire FOI staff at LAC is one person as far as I can tell, poor woman). My only suspicion that there's some interference in the release of government documents to the TRC is that since last I saw Aboriginal Affairs is the only department that's released their files to the TRC, while every other department hasn't done a drat thing. Maybe that's changed though.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ceciltron posted:

I have some choice words about Montreal's fragrant collection of asses it has called mayors in the last 20 years, but I don't especially hate any of them. I can't even imagine hating as intensely as PT6A does.

At least there's a hilarious mountain of evidence that Montreal mayors have been corrupt. Although it's gotten to the point where you expect it, and all the frontrunners in Montreal mayoral elections were the corrupt guy, the woman? who thought 911 was an inside job, and someone else who was nuts.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

I don't remember Côté being nuts, but he was a gross right-wing technocrats running for a party of péquistes, and they were united only by their common hatred of Denis Coderre. It wasn't a great campaign.

Ah that's it. You're right, it wasn't nuts, it was just a bad campaign, but I couldn't remember so I just assumed "probably insane."

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Nine of Eight posted:

Nah, there was also the lady who had the ex call-girl Bitcoin advocate as a councillor candidate in her party too. God I love Montreal.

Coming from small town Ontario it was a refreshing mix of wacky political beliefs and good old-fashioned honest corruption.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Rime posted:

Dude. It's the BC Liberals. I don't think there's been a more corrupt provincial government in Canadian history, has the RCMP ever raided any other Legislature?

They staged a break-in of the Parti Quebecois to steal their membership lists and financial records in 1973!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's really hard to tell sometimes, especially when you also take people's tongue and cheek posts so seriously.

I hope no one else got hurt.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Sounds like the Hill has been evacuated at least, which is good because the latest police reports have the suspect loose on the Hill somewhere.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Alctel posted:

Holy poo poo stop piling on PT6A, jesus christ

Also it's pretty amazing how there are a ton of contradicting reports, goes to show never listen to anything until after stuff has settled down

Pretty much. "Up to 50 shots fired," "shots fired by chateau laurier," gotta wait for the dust to settle.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

MariusLecter posted:

How many dead?

The soldier who was shot was wounded, a shooter may be dead, that's all we know.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

The classy reaction from everyone I've told so far about this was an excited "Did they get Harper?!". Like 3 people in a row, exact same reaction.

I was sort of expecting someone in this thread to throw that out and I'm happy no one has. It's gonna be crazy if there were multiple shooters.

CBC is reporting that the soldier is dead. :( It didn't look good when I saw the video of paramedics performing CPR.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 16:40 on Oct 22, 2014

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Fatrick posted:

That sucks. I was hoping they got attention to him fast enough that he could pull through :(

It sounds like he got first aid from nearby people almost immediately which is good but there's only so much you can do as a first responder.

Shooter's dead in the Parliament buildings. Might be another on the roof of a building nearby.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Jetfire posted:

And I'm an occasional moderator :confuoot:

Why do you hate yourself.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Generation Internet posted:

I'm just put off by the notion that somehow we deserved this when all of our military action in the Middle-East for the last 30 years has been with the intent to reduce or stop the violence outright.

We don't deserve it, but participating in a military operation that was in response to a terrorist attack just further radicalises the affected population. This is international terrorism 101: you provoke an overreaction from the target so that they respond with overwhelming force and further radicalise sympathetic parts in your own population.

I wouldn't describe our current contribution against ISIS as an overreaction yet, but I think a lot of people are worried that this event could spur on heavier Canadian involvement and just feed the cycle of violence.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
When people start throwing out accusations about what "the other side" thinks or says the thread's starting to enter a downward spiral to shitopia. I recommend not responding to posts that do that!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

I think, on the whole, this was probably well handled. There's not a lot you can do to stop a surprise shooting unless you're Tom Cruise in Minority Report, but the fact that no one else was killed except the shooter points to an effective law enforcement response for me. There are questions to ask about how he got over the fence and into Parliament while openly brandishing some sort of rifle or shotgun, and questions to ask about how close he came to being able to seriously harm anyone else (for example, how close was he to actually getting inside one of those barricaded rooms inside Parliament, and were there police or security personnel in those rooms or in between him and those rooms?), but on the whole it seems like we ended up with a satisfactory outcome (obviously measuring from after the initial shooting, come on) and we can now look at whether or not there are ways to make the way we got to that outcome more effective.

Where we go from here legislatively is a complete other kettle of fish.

Reading some of the immediate after-reports I gotta agree. The police and RCMP and security services all did really well considering the circumstances and the fact that no one else was killed is really impressive.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

My Imaginary GF posted:

They could've done more. They could've detained the suspect until they were deemed a non-threat, for instance. Or they could've implemented actionable and effective security measures at parliament following the Greenpeace incident. However, an attitude of "We're Canada, eh, it'll never happen here!" seems to pervade your country's policy decisions w/r/t anti-jihadist security measures.

Well, We learned everything we know about security failures from our neighbours to the south. I guess that was our first mistake.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

swagger like us posted:

I did attempt to engage single people earlier, but don't pretend I am the only one in this thread making broad brush strokes.

also note: I'm not right wing, nor have I ever voted for any right wing party. In fact the only parties I have voted for is the NDP, federally and provincially. So, you can stereotype away if you wish.

Other people doing it doesn't make it better.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I've seen a bunch of Americans commenting on following the CBC coverage of the event and how mature the whole thing was. The Peter Mans Bridge refused to devolve into speculation, waiting to confirm Nathan Cirill had died, etc. No CANADA UNDER ATTACK banner with canadian flag background. They were weirded out by our media coverage.

Also I know it would have been a security nightmare and incredibly ill-advised given what had just happened but I kinda wish they had gone ahead and given Malala Yousafzai her honorary Canadian citizenship yesterday just as a big "gently caress you" to any extremists who think that this poo poo could scare people.

Lastly, I was listening to the radio this morning and it was nice to hear MPs from all political parties, who were in Parliament when the shooting went down, say that while security measures need some review that there shouldn't be an overreaction to this attack and that Parliament Hill should still remain open to the public. I think it's cool and good that people use the hill to sit around, have picnics, whatever.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Kafka Esq. posted:

Pls seek help is going to be the SJW of the future because people are going to overuse it in a deluded attempt to use the default E/N response as an insult.

Have you considered therapy?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
THC the hero of the thread.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

infernal machines posted:

How on earth is Tony Clement that close to the throne?

You ask about Tony Clement and not zombie Jim Flaherty?

Even in death Cabinet bends to his political will.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

What, no "Mr. Dressup"? Come on!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

Mine is "A place to stand, a place to grow, Ontari-ari-ari-o."

Alternate: "Good things gro-w-w-w in Ontaaaario."

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Cesar Palacio re-elected in war 17, along with rob ford and Mammolitti, the trio of Ford Nation Councillors lives on.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Entropic posted:

Are they still having trouble finding a country who actually wants to host the 2024 games?

I hope so. The IOC is a bad institution, like FIFA.

Although I still support having the paralympics :shrug:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
People should talk about Dr. Salk since he's the focus of today's google doodle thing. It reminds me of some History:

quote:

Books and theses have been written about the politics and intrigue surrounding the introduction of polio vaccine in the 1950s. There were millions of cases of polio each year; tens of thousands died from it. A significant outbreak of polio in North America in the early 1950s caused parents to live in fear that their children would develop polio and face a lifetime of leg braces and iron lungs, or even die.

Two American medical researchers, Dr. Salk and Dr. Sabin, were in a race to develop a successful polio vaccine. Most of their peers expected that Sabin’s conventional vaccine containing a minute quantity of live polio virus, sufficient for the body to develop immunity while posing a very low risk of causing the disease, (so called attenuated virus vaccine) would win. Salk’s fans were few; he had a prickly personality, and a radical notion of producing a polio vaccine containing no live virus (so called inactive virus vaccine).

Salk was ready for medical trials first. Production of his vaccine depended on a proprietary Connaught growth medium and mechanical rocker mechanism, soon to be world famous as the “Toronto method”. Connaught was contracted to produce several hundred thousand doses of Salk vaccine for a massive field trial in the United States in 1954. As soon as it was announced in 1955 that the trial proved that Salk’s vaccine was safe and effective, Americans were clamouring for the vaccine. The American government immediately launched a mass inoculation campaign. Connaught workers remember sterilizing old-fashioned milk cans and shipping product in bulk by station wagon to Buffalo. The Canadian government was also demanding that Connaught reserve some vaccine to start Canadian field trials in 1955. To ease the pressure on Connaught, the American government also contracted a California lab to produce vaccine using the Toronto method.

Unfortunately, several dozen people inoculated with Salk vaccine in 1955 contracted polio, a much higher rate than predicted from the 1954 trial. The American Surgeon General stopped the campaign and ordered an investigation. Salk was widely denounced by his peers. The Canadian federal cabinet was split whether to halt the Canadian trials, but the health minister’s defence of Connaught’s sterling reputation won the day. While the Americans were consumed in their investigation, the Canadian trials and subsequent mass inoculation program were problem-free. Salk was always grateful to Canada for helping to restore his reputation.

For some reason, the American investigators initially thought that there was a problem at Connaught. Connaught Labs had to endure her department being turned upside down. They couldn’t find anything wrong, in fact Connaught’s operations and facilities were the best the investigators had ever seen. Eventually the data showed that all polio victims had been inoculated with vaccine from the California lab. The investigators found that the U.S. facility had released a vaccine batch containing traces of live virus. They didn’t think live virus in a supposedly inactive virus vaccine mattered. By the time all the investigation reports were in, Sabin’s attenuated vaccine had successfully passed its field trials. From then on, the Canadian market mostly used Connaught manufactured Salk vaccine; the Americans mostly used Sabin vaccine. Ironically, studies show that cases of polio contracted by inoculation since the 1955 debacle are from the Sabin vaccine, and Salk vaccine is now generally preferred in most parts of the world.

(My great aunt worked at Connaught Labs from 1939 to 1975 and was in charge of their QA. I've never met a more meticulous person.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

swagger like us posted:

I really hated his voice on the Q, as it was "so smooth" as it was retardedly pretentious. You could tell how much he just loved the sound of his own voice. His smug face never helped either.

There's nothing sadder than a failed Canadian ex-rocker turned radio host.

Jordan7hm posted:

Man, eXXon touched on this but it's really hosed if the response from media people (allegedly; based on this thread and what that Owen guy alluded to) is "we've known for years, glad it's coming out".

Through all of it, people have managed to keep each victim feeling as if they'd be the only one if they stepped forward and said something. The only reason it's even coming out is because Big Teddy basically admitted to it on Facebook. That's supremely messed up to me.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 13:41 on Oct 30, 2014

• Locked thread