Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Man. The higher ups in the LPC must be high fiving each other on a daily basis since Paikin became "disillusioned" with the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

But Nova Scotia is so pretty :(

As long as you stay away from the Annapolis Valley. Thar be dragons (and poverty)

I'll go out on a limb here and say that Annapolis Valley is probably the least impoverished part of Nova Scotia.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

It's been a while since I was there, granted. But the area right around Greenwood? Not exactly booming.

Eh, it's booming compared to the rest of rural NS, and especially Cape Breton.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/suspect-in-attack-on-2-soldiers-in-quebec-had-become-radicalized-pmo-1.2062419

quote:

The man who allegedly struck two soldiers with his car in Quebec and was killed after a police chase had become “radicalized” and was known to federal authorities, the Prime Minister’s Office said Monday.

The 25-year-old hit-and-run suspect was shot after a police chase Monday in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, located about 50 kilometres southeast of Montreal.

Before the chase ensued, he allegedly struck two members of the Canadian Armed Forces, who were on foot in a strip mall parking lot. One of the soldiers is now in critical condition, while the other suffered minor injuries.

A Quebec provincial police official says one of the soldiers and the suspect involved in a hit-and-run in Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, Que. are in critical condition on Monday, Oct. 20, 2014.

Although the Quebec provincial police refused to speculate Monday on the suspect’s motive, the PMO said he was “known to federal authorities, including the Integrated National Security Enforcement Team.

“Federal authorities have confirmed that there are clear indications that the individual had become radicalized,” the PMO said in a statement, noting that Prime Minister Stephen Harper was briefed on the situation by RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson, Chief of Defence Staff General Tom Lawson, and National Security Advisor Stephen Rigby.

“As Canada’s national security agencies have said, Canadians should remain vigilant,” Harper’s office said.

Conservative MP Randy Hoback was the first to suggest Monday that the Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu incident was more than just a hit-and-run.

He rose during question period Monday to ask the prime minister about “unconfirmed reports of a possible terror attack.”

Harper said the government is aware of the “extremely troubling” reports.

“First and foremost, our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families,” he said during question period. “We’re closely monitoring the situation and we’ll make available all of the resources of the federal government.”

The incident occurred around 11:30 a.m. Monday. After the two soldiers were struck by a car, the suspect drove off and was chased by police for about four kilometres, until his vehicle rolled into a ditch.

Police said the suspect exited the car before he was shot. A knife was later found on the ground at the scene, police said.

Witnesses said they heard between five and seven shots, but police have not confirmed how many shots were fired.

No-name backbenchers getting to lob softballs at the PM in QP with inside knowledge, good times

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
What would motivate an NDP MP to jump ship to this new party? Reelection shivers?

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
I know he likes the nickname "Prince Of Darkness" but I think Wormtongue is more apt.

(Please don't sue me Warren)

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Correct, they'll probably have it on the website tomorrow morning, and the second interview is at 8:30am

Why wait until tomorrow?

http://www.cbc.ca/asithappens/features/2014/10/29/jian/

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/ne...date=2014-10-30

Doubling the child benefit and income splitting announced today. Both are going to be a motherfucker to undo.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

Not just in Alberta though. They lost Trin-Spadina, and didn't do as well as they thought they would in Bourassa and Toronto Centre.

She was also saying that the Libs were toast 2 years ago so ... don't put much stock in columnists, I guess

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
It's mind boggling to me that the Parliament attack thing would make so many people flip to the CPC as their preference. Are people really that weak-willed? (don't answer that)

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Well, they were Lib MPs, not the gov't.

JT was in an impossible situation here. Act fast and sever, and suffer the fallout; or not act fast, and be accused of hiding the accusations after they eventually did come out. What did the MPs that got harassed think would happen? That the 2 Lib MPs could get suspended and have their nominations revoked and no one in the press would ask why?

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
I get that it's in a government's best interests to promote Remembrance Day because it's a good dose of nationalism that no one questions, but will there ever be a point (maybe after all the WW2 vets are gone) when people start asking why it happens? I mean, our "remembering" doesn't go back in history any farther than WW1 now, and even that is taking more and more of a backseat to WW2 (this year being an exception because of the 100 year anniversary).

With a lack of veterans and widows left in a few years, do you think it will just turn into a Military Thank You Day? I don't think I'm overly comfortable with that.

Sorry for the ramble, I'm just seeing more outrage than usual about stores putting Xmas stuff before the 11th and I'm just curious about what folks think about future Nov 11s and whether or not they will be more or less "sacred".

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

vyelkin posted:

Remembrance Day may be imperfect, and it's way too often co-opted by lovely politicians in the name of nationalism and political gain, but the actual idea of having a day to remember all the terrible poo poo that people do to each other in war, and why we should prevent it from happening again, is absolutely essential.

I agree with you. I'd support replacing poppies with a small picture of the inside of a trench filling with mustard gas - maybe that would take some of the jingoism out of the day.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Asking Canadians to understand symbolism in 2014 is too much.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

eXXon posted:

Make Nov. 11 a stat holiday everywhere and hold all elections on it so everyone crowing about sacrificing for are freedoms has to go vote.

Now that's what I call Getting Two Birds Stoned At Once. </Ricky>

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Increasing the personal income tax exemption seems like a good idea to me. Lots of folks in NS would be helped out by that.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

eXXon posted:

It's just a flat rebate to everybody who makes above the new exemption, and a smaller cut to anyone making just over the old exemption, but nothing for anyone making less than the exemption. It's not particularly regressive but it's not exactly progressive either.

I get that, I'm just saying that it's not all bad. Trying to be optimistic here. My home province has consistently hosed itself since oh forever and it's just depressing to watch. I just want to believe!

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Using lapsed funds to pay down the deficit is probably illegal isn't it? I mean, if parliament approved the spending and then it didn't happen year after year, there's gotta be some wrongdoing there, right? If DMs are all collectively choking their budgets, shouldn't ministers be held accountable for that?

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Just as we are a biased sample for the left, so too is reddit for the right, so I wouldn't take it as indicative of anything meaningful

I read /r/CanadaPolitics to get a sense of how much the public could possibly miss the forest for the trees.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
It's absurd to think that the RCMP is not above using agent provacteurs considering our loving governing party does it to its enemies.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Privatizing Nova Scotia Power sure has worked out well for Nova Scotians.

Edit: my power bill here in Ottawa was about $50 last time I got one, but I live in the city and don't own a big dumb house.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/winning-design-for-victims-of-communism-memorial-features-100-million-memory-squares

quote:

The federal government has chosen a design by an international team as winner of the competition for a major new memorial on Wellington Street to victims of communism.

ABSTRAKT Studio Architecture, led by Polish artist Janusz Kapusta, was chosen from among six finalists for the new memorial, which bears the unwieldy official name Memorial to the Victims of Communism — Canada, a Land of Refuge. Toronto architect Voytek Gorczynski and Polish architect Andrzej Pawlik complete the winning team.

The memorial will be built on a prime 5,000-square-metre site along Confederation Boulevard between the Supreme Court of Canada and Library and Archives Canada. It will feature one hundred million fingertip-sized “memory squares,” each representing a life lost to Communist regimes worldwide.

The memory squares will be embedded in a series of ascending folded concrete rows, rising 14.5 metres at their highest point. Visitors will be able to walk among the rows and touch the memory squares to “viscerally experience the overwhelming scale of the Communist atrocities,” says the winning team’s statement of design intent.

At Thursday’s announcement, Kapusta referenced Josef Stalin’s infamous statement that “one death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic.”

“We set out in our design to visualize this statistic,” said Kapusta, whose brother was killed by authorities in Poland during martial law in 1983.

The memorial also features a central plaza, where an image of a victim of Communism — the details are yet to be worked out — will greet visitors.

“Suddenly, the abstract singular lost lives will be transformed into a documentary still image of communist atrocities,” Kapusta said. “Their lives will not be lost in vain; they will convey the historical truth of their suffering.”

The cost of the memorial is about $5.5 million, said Heritage Minister Shelly Glover, though that’s likely to change. “That’s the approximate now,” she said. “As we move forward, we’ll have a more final number.”

The government initially pledged $1.5 million to support the project. It has since doubled its financial contribution to $3 million and donated the land, valued at about $1 million.

The rest of the cost will be covered by Tribute to Liberty, the non-profit organization formed in 2008 to advocate for the memorial.

Though Tribute to Liberty claims on its website to have raised $2.5 million, the organization’s chair, Ludwik Klimkowski, said Thursday it actually has between $1.6 million and $1.7 million. Expenses, along with pledges made but not yet received, account for the difference, he said.

Asked if the government would further increase its contribution if Tribute to Liberty’s fundraising fall short, Glover replied: “We have committed $3 million.

“I have confidence in Tribute to Liberty,” she added. “There have been so many donors who have given, not only from their pockets, they’ve given from their heart.”

Jason Kenney, minister of employment and multiculturalism, said the memorial will be “a place of common memory” for Canadians. “This is who we are as Canadians. We do not forget the crimes of the past, but we look forward with hope.”

Klimkowski said the memorial will be “teachable ground for our children and grandchildren.” The winning design, he said, “puts Ottawa on the architectural, commemorative and historic map of global importance.”

According to the federal government, the memorial recognizes Canada’s role in offering refuge to millions who fled from communist regimes. About eight million Canadians trace their roots to countries that lived or still live under communism.

A design competition announced in May attracted 20 proposals. A jury reduced those to six finalists in June: Four Ontario-based teams and two international teams.

The winner of the design competition was supposed to be revealed in September, but political and bureaucratic delays pushed it back until Thursday. Despite that, Glover said the government aims to unveil the monument by fall of 2015 — just before the scheduled October federal election.

How awesome that this garbage is going to be making GBS threads up downtown Ottawa so the CPC can point to it and talk about how awful communism is. gently caress.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

This is the worst.

Libby: A Good MP :(

Make way for Liberal MP Jodie Emery :420: :drum:

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Rime posted:

This is a really good post, thank you. I would like to add that the fishing / associated industry in the Maritimes was one of the loudest opponents of the TFW ban, so maybe they could hire the loving locals and take a slimmer profit. :shrug:

Eh? Really? You must just be talking about fish plants, right?

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Completely true, but you're right that it sounds like a fake story inspired by those studies where they found people would rather have their neighbors poor than for everyone in the neighborhood a little bit more wealthy.

People in town are actively against anything that attracts tourists, even though it's money that the community desperately needs, people working against their own interests while complaining about the fish being gone, it's a very negative atmosphere.

I don't know what's worse, discouraging tourists from coming or not understanding why a tourist would come to your town. So much nice scenery in Cape Breton and this was Sydney's great idea to attract cruise ships.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Rime posted:

This is why I absolutely loathe the popularity of Trailer Park Boys and am frustrated that for many people it's the crowning achievement of modern CanCon. It does nothing but reinforce this exact attitude.

Uh have you seen trailer park boys? It doesn't reinforce that attitude at all.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Maybe income splitting will get scrapped now!!!!! :downs:

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Here we go guys.. tip of the iceberg?

http://www.marketwired.com/press-re...-su-1982643.htm

quote:

Suncor accelerates spending reductions in response to lower crude price environment

CALGARY, ALBERTA--(Marketwired - Jan. 13, 2015) - Suncor Energy Inc. announced today significant spending reductions to its 2015 budget in response to the current lower crude price environment. The cuts include a $1 billion decrease in the company's capital spending program, as well as sustainable operating expense reductions of $600 million to $800 million to be phased in over two years offsetting inflation and growth.

"Our integrated model and strong balance sheet have positioned us well for the price downturn," said Steve Williams, president and chief executive officer. "Cost management has been an ongoing focus, with successful efforts to reduce both capital and operating costs well underway before the decline in oil prices. However, in today's low crude price environment, it's essential we accelerate this work. Today's spending reductions are consistent with our commitment to spend within our means and maintain a strong balance sheet. We will monitor the pricing environment and take further action as required."

Suncor is implementing a number of initiatives to achieve the cost reduction targets. These include deferral of some capital projects that have not yet been sanctioned, such as MacKay River 2 and the White Rose Extension, as well as reductions to discretionary spending. Budgets affecting the company's safety, reliability and environmental performance have been specifically excluded from the cost reduction program.

Suncor has also implemented a series of workforce initiatives that will reduce total workforce numbers in 2015 by approximately 1000 people, primarily through its contract workforce, in addition to reducing employee positions. There will also be an overall hiring freeze for roles that are not critical to operations and safety.

Major projects in construction such as Fort Hills and Hebron will move forward as planned and take full advantage of the current economic environment. These are long-term growth projects that are expected to provide strong returns when they come online in late 2017.
Suncor has issued an update to its 2015 guidance to reflect, among other items, reduced spending and lower pricing and related assumptions. Production guidance for 2015 has not changed.

Suncor's fundamental goals remain the same, with operational excellence, capital discipline and profitable growth remaining key to its business strategy. In fact, today's announcement reflects the application of these principles, in the context of the current low price environment.

"The strategic decisions we've made are consistent with our unwavering focus on capital discipline and operational excellence," said Williams. "We will continue to carefully manage our spending priorities: sustaining safe, reliable and environmentally responsible operations, providing a meaningful, competitive dividend for our shareholders and investing in profitable growth."

Is this going to hit the Maritimes harder than Alberta?

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
I suspect just about every family in Cape Breton has at least one member "out west". They're definitely going to feel it.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
I tend to be wary of Ispos polls because Darrell Bricker has a vested interest in pushing his permanent CPC majority theory.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Kafka Esq. posted:

Why, because Kinsella interpreted it in a way that stretches it so badly it's beyond belief?

This, right here, is why I went to school. I became politically aware in the run up to Iraq and I went to school just to make sure I was right. Trudeau's response was spot on, and even my polisci side thinks that this is just a Kinsella moment of really needing to want to burn that bridge.

If there is a bridge to burn, Kinsella will do it.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Considering how hard they got burned on the Green Shift, it's not surprising that they don't want to be caught in the same universe as "carbon"-anything.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that that's likely the thinking behind it.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
So which party is on board with a national carbon tax now?

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

I guess "High risk. High stakes." is the tag line the CPC are going with.

Very "subtle" with the soviet font, guys. Surprised they didn't use that pic of him with the moustache.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

First level of the IT stream in the federal government.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Falloutboy posted:

I think this move is totally awesome. Soudas can dish dirt on harper + give tips on how to create manipulative ads that sway the public. Also, Eve Adams is super hot. Win win.

Butts said on twitter that Soudas' involvement would be no more than putting up LPC signs for Eve but I'd suspect that that's not entirely true.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Zach Paikin not being good enough for Trudeau is a good thing for the Libs though? Unless I'm missing something?

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
I'd be surprised if that wiki edit didn't come from the base in Halifax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Kafka Esq. posted:

Why fire the perp? Transfer him to Alert.

If it came from Halifax and was a relative of one of the guys involved in the rape, the person is likely a civilian employee because CF wouldn't be stationed in Halifax for 5+ years.

With that twitter feed that tracks all govt wiki edits, it blows my mind that public servants still can't resist getting their edit on at work.

• Locked thread