Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ealdwine

Ealdwine arrives in the council chamber soon after Tremonius, and gives his fellow magi a genial nod. While he waits for the chancellor to arrive and begin the proceedings, he idly sketches new designs on a scrap of parchment. These are not designs for some great instrument of magic, or complicated laboratory equipment, but rather details for small wooden figurines - figurines which were his joy to create in his idle time as a method of relaxation. A tusk for the boar, a sword for the soldier. Ealdwine appreciated the skilled but simple tasks that this work entailed. He thinks to himself that he should take a trip to the nearby forest to see what interesting samples of wood could be found, either for use in crafting magical implements, or for more mundane frivolities. And while he was there, perhaps he could find a suitable beast to become his familiar. It was perhaps somewhat lonely in his lab, with only the wooden eyes of his carvings to watch with him.

I'll also be detailing the lab later. I need to wrap my head around the rules for that. Ealdwine is certainly fine with equal representation in voting, and is willing to offer an extra vote to the chancellor. I might press for more representation for the covenfolk, or some other concession towards what grievances they may have. That will come out in the upcoming posts/rp, I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Ealdwine

Ealdwine clears his throat and then speaks. Latin, rather than French; He was still unused to the language of this land.

"Good morning and thank you to each member of this council. I agree in principle that a division of vis by need is an acceptable solution, barring extraordinary expenditure or obviously miserly behavior. Likewise I think that freely-traded assistance in study and craft could create profitable working relationships, although more discussion will need to take place if some party or another is engaged in time-consuming study or dangerous experiments." At that last comment, he chuckles. Danger and magic went hand in hand, of course.

Ealdwine strokes his chin, the sandy bristles of his beard scratching quietly in the council chamber.

"I would also request that the council consider the issue of how we relate to the covenfolk and surrounding mundane peoples. While we currently see good relations with our peers in the community, we should not grow complacent with our own matters while problems arise outside of our doorsteps. Suffering and ill fortune among those who live around us and serve us either directly or indirectly should not go unrecognized or addressed. Thus I propose that the council accept the complaints and grievances of the covenfolk on a periodic basis, both for review and redress, so that we may maintain a healthy and congenial atmosphere in our fair coven. I propose that such airings of grievances take place at least once a season, with emergency sessions to be called as necessary."

He sits, satisfied, then looks up again, smiling.

"Oh, I had almost forgotten. I will be going to the Oaken Cask following this council meeting for an early lunch and to plan further personal business. You are all welcome to join me."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Ealdwine

Ealdwine inclines his head congenially.

"To be accurate, I am trained in the method of certamen, although I appreciate your deference."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Ealdwine

"Ah, very good, let us proceed then! I feel that the following is prudent for the time being. I'm sure we can all agree to change things if need warrants!" Ealdwine stands to declare his votes.

"Ealdwine's Votes posted:

• Vis is to be handed out at a rate of 2.5 vis each year to each magus, etc.
  • The Chamberlain is to have an equal voting position on the Council to air grievances and represent the covenfolk on all issues.
  • The covenant is to have three Censors to make emergency decisions and approve of unsalaried vis usage. These Censors are to be Leona, Tremonius and Jacques, as determined by this vote, until a motion is made to replace one or all of them.
  • Each magus is to devote one season each year to the common good of the covenant, etc.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Ealdwine

"I don't think anyone is going to be so exacting as to measure the period of service in discrete Seasons. As long as each of us provides services in good faith and in good time, we should all be satisfied. I myself will gladly offer carpentry and repairs for those members of the coven - present company included - who require it. This is not the only work I can offer, however."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Ealdwine

Ealdwine stands, satisfied with the quick and congenial voting process.

"Very well then, I expect we shall all meet again when the time is right. As I mentioned before, I will be passing through the Cask for a brief refreshment. Then, I believe I will be spending much of my time for the foreseeable future in the forest. I am in need of a familiar, and I expect that my time might be well spent searching it for sources of vis and other more mundane materials at the same time. Feel free to come along, if your business should coincide with mine."

Ealdwine is going to the forest to search for a familiar, and to see if he can find new sources of vis and mundane crafting or alchemical materials.
Flagstone will maintain his lifestyle by looking for 'misplaced' books and other such things to collect. If there is trouble among the covenfolk that might warrant his attention (especially if it would damage the inn in some way), he'll be there to stop it.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 16, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

In the upcoming week, my best days would be Thursday (tomorrow), Sunday, and Monday. I could also do Wed/Thurs/Fri next week, but those aren't quite as preferable, as Halloween is coming up and I will probably need to do some decoration and costume stuff. On those weekdays, I am available after about 5:30 or 6pm EST.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Ealdwine is going to perform the necessary ritual to bond with his familiar. Intellego Auram seems like the most appropriate technique/form here. He also puts out a notice among the hunters of the coven that he will pay (either in coin, woodcraft, or favor) for scraps of raw meat and eyes for his new companion. He also tries to think of how he's going to explain the additional vis use to the council.

Flagstone spends his time policing the Inn and preparing for the bustle of the fair. It always brings trouble of some kind, and he will not allow discord to come to his own territory. Anyone with knowledge of his existence (including mundanes - he is not intrinsically repulsive to them) may request his assistance as mediator at this time as well.

Edit: Removed conditional actions.
Edit2: Vis use stuff.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 30, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

My best days this upcoming week are Sunday anytime, and Monday evening (EST). I could probably do next Thursday or Friday evening.

Ealdwine is going to take an even 1/1/1 spread on the cords, which leaves 8 points to go to waste. I think I'll have to do some study on Intellego Auram to get those last two points sometime soon. Investing the 2XP in Magic Theory for now.

Is it safe to say that Flagstone would have some number of anchors prepared already? Also I'm wondering if it should start the session in a stone body. He's got a gentle magical air, so people shouldn't be inherently repulsed (whether they are OK with a stone man is another story).

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Works for me.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Ealdwine

Ealdwine sits in the council chamber, scribbling notes while Raymond II goes on about the great magics of the pile of vegetables. His new familiar, 起elred, sits on a chair aside him, worrying over some scraps of meat. The ritual was long and worrisome, but successful nonetheless. Ealdwine could already feel healthier, heartier, more focused in his work. It was an accomplishment to be proud of, even if he occasionally found himself brooding more recently. Such was the way of binding a familiar; it was an exchange not just of magical bonds, but of mental and spiritual ones as well. But enough of dwelling on new companions. It was time for new business.

"Yes, yes, child. Did this Hermes specify the sort of magic? Nevermind. I would be happy to accept your gift on the behalf of the covenant. We shall see what secrets these vegetables hold. If they prove mundane, then I am sure they shall serve as an admirable stew." Ealdwine winks at the boy, and 起elred croaks his agreement. "Yes, yes, with mutton."

"For my own business, I shall take it upon myself to provide such charms as may assist the covenfolk. I think those to keep the head dry should be well appreciated as harvest approaches."

With that, he leaves for his own lab.

Flagstone
Flagstone lurks in the foundation of the inn. This vine, the Green Rat, was vexing. Were it only simple ivy, he might not have minded. This vine insinuated itself not only on the surface of the structure, but through its holes and cracks, and it was growing bold as well. Flagstone surmises that before moving forward on the validity of the map and Ghorma's promise, he needs to clean house first.

The Green Rat must go. Perhaps one of the wizards could assist with the investigation, or maybe he will just rip it out by the roots himself.

Flagstone makes his way slowly to the council chambers, a form of granite rising up from the ground before the doors. He loudly stomps his way in, making sure that anyone present hears his demands.
"Magi. My home is under siege by this Green Rat. I come to you for aid, as it is surely not any normal vine. It moves with too great a purpose. Do not ignore a danger on your own doorstep!"

Ealdwine will investigate these vegetables for magical effects. He will also produce several magical oaken amulets containing the Ward Against Rain spell. I'll need a little bit of guidance on how his Craft Magic applies to this (it's done faster, as far as I understand it).

Flagstone is going to seek solutions to the Green Rat. The magi are under no obligation to help him, immediately or even at all, of course.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Ealdwine

Ealdwine considers Gerda's question. His eyebrows rise as he realizes who they are discussing.

"I have no personal connection with Tres, nor his band, but I do recall something of his history. He was at the center of an acrimonious trial several years ago. The charges were gross interference with mundanes; the creation of magical arms for the purpose of outfitting an army at least a hundred strong. A covenant...ah, Mistridge, I believe, was laid siege to and ultimately destroyed in what Tres proclaimed to be Wizard's War. Tres saw the trial go in his favor by claiming the army was in his service as members of his covenant, and thus they had not been purchased with the arms.

I cannot fault his band for wishing to defend the common man, for it is sadly a rare trait among the Gifted. His prior willingness to engage in open conflict may have been tempered for the time being by the recent proceedings; I think that we should be careful in any dealings we may have with them, regardless. Perhaps I should send some correspondence to them, as one Rusticani to another. Polite introductions are never a mistake, and as a relatively new covenant, we might wish to prove that we are capable of diplomatic action and just governance, both to Tres and the Tribunal at large."

--------

Ealdwine will also (if there is time in the season), write a letter of introduction to be delivered to Tres' Band. How it could be delivered to a trio of forest-dwelling hermits, that remains to be seen.

Edit: Got a bit of detail from Mors.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 17, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Ealdwine

Ealdwine raises his hand, as if to pause the conversation.

"I apologize if I have rankled you so. Perhaps my desire to learn more of an infamous member of my own house has momentarily clouded my judgement. Rusticani are not often close-knit, and they may have some knowledge worthwhile to me. I will take the matter under advisement before engaging in rash action."

起elred *qworks* gloomily from Ealdwine's shoulder.

---------------------------

Still probably going to write that letter.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

FYI, Mors gave me the option of rolling once for all 15 charms and getting 1 charge each, or gambling on the risky method.

I'll come up with some specifics for the letter to Tres, probably tomorrow.

Regarding the Green Rat adventure, I think I can be free tuesday-Thursday evening this week. Also probably free Sunday Dec. 7 although I'd need to check. I can be free Monday-Wednesday evening next week, and most weekdays the week after that.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I just asked Mors for a game time tomorrow: looks like 7:30 or 8pm, EST.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Ealdwine

Ealdwine sits in the back room of the Oaken Cask, reserved for the magi whenever they might wish to enjoy some rustic atmosphere. It felt like home to him, all things considered. Sipping his beer, he considers his work from Autumn. That was perhaps a bit overzealous of me. But still, making such a bounty of talismans was worth it. Perhaps one or two could find its way into the hands of a needy farmer or a grog.

Flagstone rises from the floorboards, invisible to all but Ealdwine. "Ealdwine. The patrons complain of uneven chairs. They should be happy, for the Green Rat is gone! Give my thanks to that insulting colleague of yours, Tremonius."

Ealdwine smiles and drinks deeply. "I will craft some more, spirit, when I have time. I am sure I can fit the work in around my studies. For now, let the patrons grumble. It is the nature of things to change over time." He catches himself before going further. "Well, not you, of course."

Flagstone's form sinks back into the ground, grumbling. "I will hold you to that promise, although you might consider making them out of something sturdier."

Ealdwine finishes his beer, and leaves a few coins on the table. "In due time. For now, I have much work to do, as well as new acquaintances to consider."

Beneath the floor, Flagstone thinks to himself. And I believe that I should seek profit as well, but in my own domain.

--------------

Ealdwine is going to spend the season researching Broom of the Winds, using one of the undefined Lab Texts from our coven's stash. And yeah, let's try experimenting with it too! I don't think he'll respond to Tres just yet. Perhaps in Spring, when the weather is more pleasant and he's not distracted with spells.

Flagstone is going to search for lost treasures in the tunnels under the covenant. Maybe there will be some vis lying around or something else that's good for hoarding.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 9, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

If something else comes up that sounds interesting from one of your posts, Flagstone can also tag along on that.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Thursday, Sunday this week. Maybe Saturday. Next week, Tuesday is probably the only time. Evening EST. January is really pretty poo poo for me in terms of scheduling anything.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I'm afraid I will be pretty much unavailable this week. Next time I'll be able to do an IRC game would be Monday of next week. I did say that January got busy for me, right? :v:

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 21, 2015

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Ealdwine

Ealdwine sits in a common room in the Chateau, whittling at a half-formed carving. 起elred stands at attention on the table in front of him, occasionally nibbling at a small platter of meat, with a single deer's eye in the center, like a cherry on top of a grisly sundae. "Hold still, why don't you! All your fidgeting is just making this take longer!" Ealdwine mutters to himself as he works some fine details into the piece. "You'll be pleased to have it when it's done. I plan on lacquering the whole piece! Nice and shiny, like you wanted."

Ealdwine hears the strange man at the door. Strange being a relative term, when wizards are involved. He rises from his seat, pocketing the figurine and calling 起elred to his shoulder. "Hello? Is someone there?" He heads over to the door, and peers out from behind the grog. A foreigner! Well, they were all foreign here, but this one was even moreso. Perhaps he knew the honorable tongue of Latin?

"Greetings and good day. Can I help you, sir? I am Ealdwine. I expect you're here on business, yes?"

Ealdwine will be free to go on an adventure this season, I believe. If nothing comes up, I may craft a pile of Broom of the Winds items. I'll make another post for Flagstone later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Ealdwine

Ealdwine waves the doorman aside. "You stand in the presence of one of them, then. Say hello, 起elred." The crow croaks a 'hello.' "Please come in and make yourself comfortable in the common room. We can discuss things there, and wait for any of my compatriots that might be about."

• Locked thread