Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Soňa

Finishing up some sorting, Soňa prepares to leave her kitchen, its own small structure a little way away from the manor proper. It is a somewhat odd place, even by magi standards, beginning with the impression it gives of simultaneously being unnecessarily spacious and rather cramped on the inside. Rather than a magic effect, however, this is simply due to how it's been arranged; as folk witches normally get by with very little space for their kitchens, having what would be a normal lab space for a magus left Soňa with a fair amount of room for her belongings and tools. However, she arranged these things with her own size (somewhat smaller than the average magus) in mind, leading to areas that she can walk through easily but others would likely bump into things in, shelves that a person of average height would need to look down or even stoop a little to reach, and other such things.

Besides the layout of the kitchen, it has some other notable features and qualities. There's the large cauldron in the middle, the centerpiece of a witch's kitchen, of course. There's also a bed, wardrobe, and other things indicating that a person not only works but actually lives here; while Soňa has her own quarters in the manor proper, as the other mages do, she frequently finds herself absorbed in her work and thus set up her kitchen so that she could work there without interruption when needed. Which, judging by her manor quarters being almost completely unused, seems to be "all the time". It is also very organized and clean; while many magi let their labs fall into a poor state and use the "Well I know where it is" method of keeping track of things, Soňa's kitchen is effectively spotless and rigidly organized to her standards, though it might be a bit confusing to outsiders.

Other items of note include the chiurgeon's tools among her other instruments, a variety of plants animal parts, magical and mundane, she brought with her from her homeland, and, gleaming from its position on her desk, a firebird feather. The last item she acquired in her apprenticeship; during a task assigned by her teacher, she set her sights rather high and sought out the legendary bird. She failed to obtain the creature itself, but one of its feathers is a worthy trophy (and potentially useful magical item).

Soňa arrives at the Council on time, though after some others. Clad all in white, she stands out considerably indoors. As she sees the others, she smiles and greets them, similarly acknowledging those who arrive after her as she waits for the session to begin.

Mechanically, Soňa's kitchen is Size 3 technically (it's still Size 0 by magus standards, but since folk witch kitchens require less space and in fact are normally built in Size -3 areas, they have a +3 bonus to Size), and hence has the Virtue Living Quarters without a corresponding flaw. Almost took Diminutive, since it doesn't penalize Soňa (she's Size -1 due to her own Flaw), but I remembered that unfilled Size provides its own penalties, so for now that's just flavor. It'll go from "mildly annoying to outsiders" to "notably obstructive to non-small people" as she adds more to the lab and actually needs that Flaw. Also has the Free Virtue Idyllic Surroundings and the Free Flaw Empty to reflect the two unused points of Size. If Mors allows it I'd like to pick up Spotless too but while that's free it normally comes in other ways so I dunno if it's acceptable. Also it should arguably have Dedicated Building but I actually don't care about the benefits that gives (none of her magic would benefit from Rego) so until we have more money I'm fine with not having the benefits of it to avoid the Upkeep increase that would come with it.

As for Council stuff, she's going to sit back and listen for the moment rather than propose her own things, though she'll likely comment on other people's proposals. If no one else addresses it, though, she's going to bring up the issue of funding.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Soňa

Soňa listens to the others speak at first, not saying anything, though her eyes darken when Gerda suggests certamen as the go-to means of resolving disputes. Before she can speak, though, Tremonius does. After he and Ealdwine finish talking, she finally speaks up. "Thank you for your concern, Tremonius." There is no trace of the irritation that briefly flashed across her face earlier; she is all charm as she looks to the rest of the magi and continues talking, louder and directed at everyone now. "What he says is true, unfortunately. Certamen is based upon the Hermetic Arts, which I am incapable of using. While I am aware of certamen's place in the Code and accepted it when I joined the Order, I must admit that I would prefer it not being the go-to method of conflict resolution here." She pauses, looking at Gerda. "Though, if you are willing to champion for me, provided the conflict is not between us, I would certainly be more open to the suggestion."

Soňa is choosing her words and approach carefully as she goes; her being a new member of the covenant and not a Hermetic magus, her status is somewhat weak. With how many magi look down on non-Hermetic wizards, she wouldn't be surprised if some supported the motion solely to further their position over her. (Tremonius's support is a pleasant surprise, though.) Hence her statement about the Code; not only does it hint at respect for the Order one might assume she lacks, but it also implies knowledge of the rest of the Code and other laws of the Order, such as those against using certamen as a means of bullying and controlling magi. If the motion is supported, it will hopefully at least discourage people from using it excessively against her.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 11, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Soňa

Well, Leona seems skilled at diving straight to the heart of a matter. Soňa kind of likes that; while it would make it hard to pull one over on her in the future, it was generally preferably to the politicking she expected from most of the Order. She seemed generally fair, too, and given the stories was likely rather powerful. She'd be a useful ally.

"For matters of vis, I vote for rationing. Of the covenfolk, they should have a representative to bring issues to us, as well as to vote, provided their voting is restricted to issues that affect the covenfolk; they don't need to help decide how we use vis or who gets this or that. That would simply make them a target of bribes or even threats, a pawn to give someone here a second vote." She pauses, thinking. "I vote for the establishment of the office of censor, with the initial holders being those named." Tremonius seems fair, and as she has been thinking Leona is a person she wants on her side if possible. Jaques... The Tytalus worried her, and given his attitude towards the office he might not be the person to run to should she need one's assistance, but worst case scenario a motion could replace him later. With how he talks he might find that turn of events hilarious.

"As for matters of service, I support the notion of everyone dedicating their efforts to the common good, but the specificity of a season and the tasks described limit my ability to be of use. Writings about my magic would be little more than curiosities to the rest of you, and while healing potions and such would be rather useful, brewing some would take well more than my year's allotment of vis. The result would be well worth it, but it is obviously not something I can do regularly.

"However, I do have a personal supply of such potions that I would be willing to donate to the covenant; besides each one being able to heal a wound that would cripple even the strongest of men, they were created with roughly two pawns of vis each. Nearly a year's worth of vis in magic instead of a season of labor seems reasonable to me.

"Additionally, I can assist in other ways; for example, I am capable of speaking to the cursed residents of our covenant. While I myself have no particular plans for this, I assume some of you could find use in intelligent, loyal beings capable of going nearly anywhere while little to no attention, and who report only to us. Additionally, it will likely ingratiate us with the covenfolk; events such as a mother, for the first, time, speaking with her child and knowing what they are saying back, even through an interpreter, would be meaningful to them, I imagine." She says this matter-of-factly, almost no differently from how she described potion-brewing or her opinion on the distribution of vis.

After a few moments' pause, she shrugs. "If none of this is acceptable, then I must vote against it; I support its spirit, but take issue with the letter, and I would have to be a fool to help pass a requirement that I cannot meet. It seems likely to pass without my vote, anyway."

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 14, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Soňa

After the others respond to her request, Soňa smiles and bows. "Thank you for your understanding." After the votes are tallied and people begin to file out, she takes her leave as well, beginning to follow Ealdwine; she had been interested in seeing the local area as well. To her understanding, there was a fairy court nearby, in addition to some other things. It was worth seeing for herself exactly what the territory contained.

Soňa's probably going to join Ealdwine's adventure, or if she can't do that for some reason she'll be working on her lab (spending a season increasing its Refinement to balance out the horrendous Safety penalties it has and to make room for more Virtues eventually), while Mehdi's maintaining his lifestyle doing priestly things and whatnot. Unless something big or weird happens in the village or surrounding area, in which case he'll probably end up getting involved I suppose.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm up for whenever, so if it's good for the others tomorrow works for me.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Soňa

Soňa sits in her kitchen, thinking. The quest to find Ealdwine a familiar was successful; besides finding him a suitable subject, they acquired a fair amount of vis. Even subtracting the value of the potions she had used, there was a net profit. Additionally, there may be a source of Ignem vis nearby; while none of her magic requires it, finding it would still ingratiate the other magi to her, and more vis total might eventually lead to the yearly stipends being raised. The jewel had been in the raven's nest; perhaps it could point her in the right direction.

However, not everything was great. While slaying the Red Wolf was appreciated by the locals (even if one grog came out somewhat battered and another seemed strangely upset about the whole thing), there was a chance they had offended the local faerie court. Hopefully Corrigan Fee doesn't still consider the wolf her pet, though even if she didn't, she might not take kindly to them having killed it.

Well, worrying about it wouldn't solve anything. Perhaps she and one or two of the others should visit the court sometime; explaining the situation and not hiding from them might appear better to the fae.

In the meantime, the merchants were arriving soon. Interesting things would probably be happening in the town while they were there. Additionally, she has been thinking about procuring some new equipment for her kitchen; while the covenant was presently short on funds, she could at least put the word out so that they know to bring some with them next time. A year is plenty of time to find a way to pay for what she needs.

Mehdi

Mehdi turns to his congregation, having finished reciting the 72 chapters of the Yasna before the sacred fire and making an offering to Ahura Mazda. As they share bread to complete the ceremony, inviting Ormazd and the Ameshaspend in, his mind turns to the community. Despite the hardships they face, they were doing well enough. And there were merchants arriving soon; though his people were not fully trusted in this land, travelling merchants met many different people and tended to be better at dealing with those unlike themselves, and the commerce of the fair was a good chance for his followers, and the town as a whole, to profit and hopefully continue to prosper.

He would be attending the fair himself, as well. Not merely to see the merchants' wares (though he was interested in that to), but to assist the community and lead by example; guiding others towards good and living a good life are important parts of the fight against evil. Additionally, he will pray in the days of the fair, asking Ahura Mazda and the Ameshaspend to watch over the town and its inhabitants in the coming days. While this was a good time for the town, there was always a chance of something going wrong.

For the spring, Soňa is splitting her XP between Animal Ken and Shapeshifter. 4 each, because why not. Mehdi, meanwhile, let's put both in Leadership. (And, since I keep forgetting to link it, ere is his sheet, on that topic.)

Seasonal activities, both are kind of open at the moment. Depending on what happens, either could get roped into another adventure, either initiated by the other players or because of the happenings in the town and surrounding area that draw their attention. Otherwise, Soňa's going to improve her kitchen's Refinement (also trying for Highly Organized and Spotless), have a chat with Ealdwine's raven about that Ignem vis, and maybe put some inquiries into better equipment for her lab out while the merchants are in town, while Mehdi's using his second non-free season of the year to do good works in the area. Also going to ceremonially temper the Dominion towards patience and understanding (i.e. a Calm aura) the day of the fair; it'll only last a few days but hopefully it will have some effect. Would have used personal influence here but that probably wouldn't take effect until the end of the season, which is a bit late.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Oct 31, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm up for whenever basically, personally. As long as I get an advance warning I can do my best to be ready then.

For XP, Soňa's going to put it into the clear best option, Profession: Servant Folk Witch Magic Theory (may as well but every little bit I can in that, she's going to need a lot for the next level), while Mehdi... Going to need to think on that a little longer. Technically won't have the XP until the next season anyway.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Soňa

Soňa smiles at the boy as he explains what he found. "That's rather interesting, Raymond." She will leave the matter of discovering if they're actually magical to the others; let the Hermetic magi investigate the mysteries of Hermes.

When people are discussing which books to buy, she mostly keeps quiet. "None of those are of any use to me, so I will refrain from offering my opinion either way. This is a matter for you to sort out amongst yourselves."

Later in the meeting, she brings up her own discoveries. "I spoke with Æðelred this past season, about the Ignem vis in its nest. It says it came from a nest of lizards in the mountains, and he stole it from them. He told me where to find it, but his directions were for flying there. I can do so myself, but that sounds like a dragon's nest; while I may investigate it and the route myself, I think I will wait until we can prepare a proper group to go there before I try to claim any more vis from it. In the meantime, I will to to plot a route for those who are unable to fly to get there, and ascertain exactly what it is that lives there."

When Leona makes her offer to teach the others, speaks up after Gerda does. "I agree with Gerda's request; of everything you can teach us, that is one of the two subjects I can make use of. It will likely be useful in things such as dealing with that nest, as well.

"As for my contribution for this year, here." She reaches into her cloak, pulling out two bottles. "Each of these is capable of curing any single wound that is not immediately fatal. They took roughly two pawns of vis each to make, but in the future when I make some I will be able to bring that closer to one each, provided I brew them in bulk. Please use them carefully, and be aware that they are affected by your Parma Magica; you will have to temporarily lower it when you drink these, or you will likely waste their effects."

Soňa's contribution for the year is two of her potions that cure up to incapacitating wounds. Anyone who's going on an adventure or whatever without her, feel free to bring them along and have her healing without actually having her around.

Her action for the season will be listening to Gerda's lecture on the Parma as well. She'll also spend some time, at most a few days (not enough to keep her from benefiting from the teaching), investigating the vis source the raven told her about. Flying there, seeing if there's a good route for the people who can't fly there, seeing if she can determine what exactly lives there without getting noticed or attacked, etc.

Mehdi will be spending the season in worship, meanwhile.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 1, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Soňa

As the others discuss their affairs for the season, Soňa brings up her efforts from the last one. "Amidst my studies last season, I took some time to investigate the source of that ignem vis we found in the raven's nest. As it told me, there was a nest up in the mountains; I did not find the creature it belonged to, but there were scorch marks and bones scattered about. A permanent or even temporary source of more vis would be useful, but I would rather a group explore the area with me more thoroughly, should anyone have the time."

Soňa's going to gather other mages and grogs and stuff for an adventure to investigate that nest, unless she can't gather enough people, in which case she may tag along in something else instead. Mehdi's plans are a bit open as well, will wait and see what options there are before deciding there.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sorry for the delay. Been distracted lately. I am up for whenever for things, though; I have a fair amount of free time now. As for Mehdi... Crud. Will get back to you on that soon. Need to reread everything and refresh my memory on what's happened and such.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can manage that, sure. Might also grog it up in one of the other adventures, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sorry, been feeling really unwell lately. Crappy real life stuff and such. I'm good for almost whenever for an IRC thing, though tomorrow isn't ideal.

• Locked thread