Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Now at my house we try to reimagine other tv shows as if they were Z-Nation. Which characters would still be alive, who would be The Murphy, who will suffer all season then die, dumb stuff but we can't help it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Seriously, though, Z Nation is such a surprise treat. I haven't been this into a SyFy show since BSG.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
This show is awesome in the most cheesy way.

I lost my poo poo at the delta force dude going "drat, I hate dealing with moral choices"

I know I'm coming into this late but the first ep was pretty awesome.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So I'm up through the third (cannibal family) episode, and I'm still confused, wasn't DJ Qualls' dog bitten by the zombie dog? Why is it not dead/zombified?

Also not sure how that baby got zombified, or why it could suddenly scuttle around faster than a grown man, but eh whatever.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

WarLocke posted:

So I'm up through the third (cannibal family) episode, and I'm still confused, wasn't DJ Qualls' dog bitten by the zombie dog? Why is it not dead/zombified?

Somehow the dogs fought each other but there was no biting.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You've obviously never brushed a Malamute. they have about 30 kilo of hair.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
If that dog was a real malamute you'd have to drug it to get it to lay down long enough for filming. Working malamutes have nuclear reactors for hearts.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My old malamute would have eaten 60% of his network cables.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Rocksicles posted:

My old malamute would have eaten 60% of his network cables.

That too. Ours was 121 lbs at his 6 month check up. He chewed through the back door while we were grocery shopping. By 9 months he had broken the couch from jumping on it and by 10 months we found him a new home with a friend of the family that kept sled dogs. It was like owning a 130 lb squirrel on meth. Great dogs if you are the kind of person that likes to wake up then run 8 hours; eat dinner, then go run for 8 more hours.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah mine ate my back car seat and scratched the roof from sleeping on it. Because I locked him in the garage for 2 hours while i had kids over.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's why I'm just gonna get a pug. Lazy as gently caress. After my own heart.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Good show :)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Speaking of which, it hit Netflix today.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

bull3964 posted:

Speaking of which, it hit Netflix today.

Yup, saw this on Netflix, and just binged thru the first season. I loved it in all it's cheesy glory. It's great how every episode is a different zombie trope, like all I could think of us was that Fallout Dunwich building during the nuclear reactor episode. Also, I love Murphy and cannot get enough of how much of an rear end he can be this episode, but still bring it back to being friends with the team.

Also, how the hell are they going to do season 2? Full on Fallout/Mad Max style apocalypse?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm guessing the missiles hit the nuke part doesn't go off.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Who are these people?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
hahaha, that's dead funny.

I hope they are models from the marketing mock up

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post
I stumbled across this thing entirely by accident while looking for lovely zombie poo poo to watch on Netflix. This looked like a steaming pile of hot garbage and I was looking forward to it. I did not expect to actually like it, and now I really need this in my life. I need the second season.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
This show is so bad... that I loving love it. I totally ignored it until it was on netflix, and then I accidentally clicked it. Said "gently caress it" and started watching it.

Best netflix accident ever.

(This show is still really cheesy bad, but I need more of it)

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Just finished this on Netflix recently, and I would like to express my unabashed love for this show. The characters are interesting and fun to watch - well, those that decide to stick around, at least - and they actually develop as characters. The situations are generally entertaining, and certain things are shockingly well done for a Syfy original. Am I to understand that the Asylum makes better TV shows than movies or something like that?

I would even go so far as to say that this show is good. Sure it hits all the notes that you expect a campy asylum action flick to hit, but there are plenty of really well done moment. For instance, a lot of the human villains seem incredibly effective and dangerous. Sure, there's the grotesque nature of sawing off pieces of a live human to use as food, but the use of such cannibalism to provide a source of meat in a universe that generally forbids that sort of thing is clever. Killing yourself so you come back as a zombie and kill a bunch of people is just plain devious.

Then there's the fact that - as mentioned above - this show actually has character development. Murphy goes from a shell-shocked horrifically treated convict, to a malevolent sociopath, to a snarky and begrudging part of the team, to something in between (and a bit more than) all those things. As the show goes on will he lash out due to how he's been mistreated by people and become the arch-villain of this story? Will he continue with his growth and eventually become the saviour of humanity that fate has told him to be? Or will he be a darker hero in between those two things? I could see any of those things being proper extensions of his development.

A lot of the dramatic elements worked as well. Even though people had mixed feelings on episode 8, I really enjoyed it. I think part of what got me is that Asylum is the type of company that might actually introduce a Soviet cosmonaut character, so the dramatic mind screw actually takes the audience by surprise (as opposed to any other show, in which the twist would be seen from a mile away).

In fact, I'm pretty sure that therein lies the key of why this show is so good at what it does. Z Nation does not attempt to be a deconstruction of the human condition or biting social commentary. It attempts to be a fun watch with some interesting stuff going on and some quality segments, which it succeeds at marvelously.

In any case, I'm pumped as hell for S2. Murphy could go one of several different ways, and Cassandra might still be what is essentially a zombie magical girl.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It was very well done. The cheese and stupid character moments came off as intentional creative choices and limitations of budget. Mostly though it was just fun to watch. I enjoyed it more than most other series. Might watch it again to see if it holds up to a second viewing.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's sort of mess but strangely entertaining overall.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I just finished binging this show and I have no idea how to feel about it. It was almost always entertaining (the nuclear power and dream episodes lost me) and cheesy as hell but... I couldn't stop watching it.

I loved that it had the balls to kill off not one but two male leads within the first few episodes. I was actually sad to see both of them go, whereas TWD I think would only be improved by the loss of Rick. I loved that Roberta ended up in charge, I love her character. I liked that the show overall was pretty diverse, whereas TWD is set in Atlanta and yet 90% of the characters are white. I liked that they gave most of their female characters actual things to do, as well.

Also Murphy is a glorious bastard, and they're doing that archetype so well.

I don't know if I would call this show "great" but it's really entertaining and does a lot of things right, despite a few quibbles with things like gas going bad after about a year, and electricity magically still being on in most places, and Citizen Z just magically being able to hack road signs that are literally not plugged into any network, etc.

I'm glad they're getting a season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Craig Engler talks season 2:
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/89332/exclusive-craig-engler-talks-z-nation-whats-ahead-season-2/

quote:

“Syfy keeps pushing us to do more and go farther [in terms of the show’s gore].

quote:

So, beyond Season 2 we were wondering of there was an endgame for the show ... Karl Schaefer and I have talked a little bit about a possible ending. ... He even has the final scene in mind. We can either take our time getting there, or we can rush depending on what’s going on with the show.

Also the ratings were apparently very strong.
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/syfy-tv-show-ratings-updated-33879/

• Locked thread